ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
New to ADC #4526770
06/19/14 08:01 PM
06/19/14 08:01 PM
Southeastern Indiana
S
schindal Offline OP
trapper
schindal  Offline OP
trapper
S

Southeastern Indiana
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have been thinking about getting into doing some ADC work. I am a full time ER nurse and have 4 days off each week to work on the side. I live on the Indiana / Ohio line near Cincinnati. I grew up on a farm and have hobby trapped since I was a kid. I am looking to try ADC work with moles, raccoons, squirrel, possum, muskrat, groundhog and skunk. Possibly bats and others down the road. Looking for advice on types of traps you all use, and other essential equipment you suggest to get started. I've got the truck, ladders, gloves, catch pole (3ft, do you suggest a longer one as we'll), I have a few of the cheap haveaheart traps but I would like to get some nicer box traps. . . Type? Also I have a bunch of the victor out o sight mole traps (I have trapped moles since high school). What brand combiner do you suggest? I have been studying the materials for ohio and indiana NWCO tests and I am thinking about contacting a local ADC company to learn a little more before I just jump into business. Also, I was thinking about attending the "annual wildlife control instruction seminar" put on by the WCT group. . (Is it worthwhile). Any other tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Andy

Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4526878
06/19/14 09:17 PM
06/19/14 09:17 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Lots of questions. First and most important, ADC work is nothing like fur trapping. Completely different animals. What kind of traps depends on who you talk to. Read the post on here as much as you have time for. The answers to all your questions are on here.
Is the training seminar put on by WCT worth it. YES. Also subscrbe to the WCT magazine. Very good read.

Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4526907
06/19/14 09:33 PM
06/19/14 09:33 PM
Oxford, Michigan
A
Aaron Curtis Offline
trapper
Aaron Curtis  Offline
trapper
A

Oxford, Michigan
I think your biggest challenge will be getting the animals to figure out which 4 days your off. In all honesty if your gonna do this its gonna be tough if you already have another full time job. Moles would probably be the easiest one to start with to get your feet wet if you still continued your reg job.

Last edited by Aaron Curtis; 06/19/14 09:36 PM.
Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4527012
06/19/14 10:46 PM
06/19/14 10:46 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Other gear I would suggest a respirator. I wouldn't recommend conibers for adc as a general rule. Get insurance.

get a mixed quality of traps to split the quality/quantity issue. Tomahawks and safeguards are good all around and comstocks for heavy duty.

Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4527049
06/19/14 11:25 PM
06/19/14 11:25 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Andy, you've already got the hard part over; becoming a full time ER nurse. They are usually my customers. Too bad you're so far away. I make so many trips to the hospital that I could probably give you all kinds of tips.

If you're smart enough to become an ER nurse, you're smart enough to figure out what animals to start with and what kind of gear most of us recommend.

If you come down to questions like "Would you recommend this or that" I would suggest a PM to whoever you think can best answer your question. Good luck!

Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4528033
06/20/14 09:42 PM
06/20/14 09:42 PM
Oklahoma
80C Offline
trapper
80C  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Hi andy
I started a little over a year ago and o e of the best tips I got on this forum was to go to the archives and start at the end and read read read. I read until 4 and 5 am on multiple nights. Best education outside of a traing class.
Also start listening to the "new wildlife pro network" podcast from mike flick and mike hurley.

Last edited by 80C; 06/20/14 09:43 PM.
Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4528077
06/20/14 10:10 PM
06/20/14 10:10 PM
OH
M
mousie Offline
trapper
mousie  Offline
trapper
M

OH
welcome home

mousie

never make someone a priority when they make you an option !
Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4528925
06/21/14 06:42 PM
06/21/14 06:42 PM
Southeastern Indiana
S
schindal Offline OP
trapper
schindal  Offline OP
trapper
S

Southeastern Indiana
Thanks alot. I have been reading up on here and there is a bunch of great info! I also checked out that wildlife pro network and it is informative as well, thanks. I look forward to learning a lot more before getting started.

Re: New to ADC [Re: schindal] #4536052
06/26/14 08:37 PM
06/26/14 08:37 PM
Trumbull county, Ohio
C
coonwacka Offline
trapper
coonwacka  Offline
trapper
C

Trumbull county, Ohio
Let me tell you working full time and doing calls after work is tough. Not sure how much pee and vinegar you got in you but by the end of the day I'm are tired! (Trying to get my oldest boy to take the test so I can get him to do the set ups)
Attics are warm this time of year (even for a boiler operator) along with shingles.

Trying to set up appointments days in advanced are challenging to say the least (especially when you get stuck pulling doubles). Granted you have four days off versus my usual 1 but now thanks to everyone's advice here, I can guarantee I spend way less time on each event with great results.

If I have to turn down some I always direct them to a fellow ONWACO, whether a large colony of bats that would take a large amount of time or a far travel for groundhogs.

Anything WCT got is a bucket of knowledge (including Paul's articles)!
Like 80c said "read read read".
I use Comstocks, Tomahawks and Havaharts, in that order.

Dave @ All Catch LLC. CNWACO
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread