ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Red fox with pups #4443416
04/22/14 02:29 PM
04/22/14 02:29 PM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
Hello All,

I have a client that has a den of fox living under two of her out buildings. She has a litter of little ones that she carries from one building to the next. They are active during the day. She wants them harassed so they will move out. How can this be done?

Thank you

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4443739
04/22/14 06:27 PM
04/22/14 06:27 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Hassle the pups, she'll move 'em quick.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4443794
04/22/14 07:06 PM
04/22/14 07:06 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Pee on the holes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: warrior] #4443839
04/22/14 07:56 PM
04/22/14 07:56 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Originally Posted By: warrior
Pee on the holes.

X2

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Jim Bethell] #4444262
04/22/14 11:26 PM
04/22/14 11:26 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Make noise, play a raccon fight tape, bang pots and pans, jump up and down on the floor, shine lights under the sheds, sprinkle 3 kinds of urine, block off all access but one hole, and sell an exclusion barrier installation as part of the job. Also sell clean up & sanitation of the URINE SOAKED GROUND, remove FECEs, flea and mange control, and remove all pup toys such as squirrel tails, bird wings, maggotty boneys, cat parts, and fru-fru dog indigestables. Give lots of true information about rabies, parvo, mange, FECES, URINE, etc.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4444377
04/23/14 01:41 AM
Alaska Northwestern
That Fool Offline
trapper
That Fool  Offline
trapper

Alaska Northwestern
go number two in the holes. Kit nap one of the kittens and leave a note behind for the rest to move out.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4444378
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
I get 5 or 6 calls every year regarding foxes with pups under sheds in town or at the edges of towns. Only once did I have to remove the family, as the mother would charge the kids in the yard when the pups would walk up to the kids. Children were 2 and 5, and someone was going to get bit.

Other than that one time, I always convince the people to leave them alone. They are in town to escape predation from coyotes, and typically leave when the pups get 7 or 8 weeks old. They will take care of moles, voles, mice, rats, small snakes, and anything else that people HATE. All at no cost.

Everyone ends up telling me later they loved watching the adults teach the pups how to hunt and play. NEVER has anyone wished they would have had them removed. Education is key. The only issue is if they are living under a porch or deck, the smell is worse than skunk spray.

Determining if they are truly a problem is the first step. If I went after every animal that people call me about I'd never sleep. After the first 15 years or so of running a wildlife control business, you start to realize how many of the jobs you did "at first" were really not necessary.

Of course in cases where there is a KNOWN local rabies threat or some other safety concern, those issues should be considered.

Ron Scheller

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4445798
04/23/14 11:19 PM
04/23/14 11:19 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
As always, Ron is the voice of reason and wisdom. I get the same types: "Ohmigod! There's a fox living 500' from our house- he's gonna break into my house and kill me in my sleep!"

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4445874
04/24/14 12:00 AM
04/24/14 12:00 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Nah, it's the frogs that'll get you in your sleep or at least that what worries the gal who called tonight. Got her set up for a look see.

[Linked Image]
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4446088
04/24/14 08:10 AM
04/24/14 08:10 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Same as Ron. I have trapped a few in a million dollar house where the foxes were in the car port when they got out of the car and one other that charged the dog, but other than that when they say rabies, I say babies. They are nervous about seeing them in the daytime so they think disease, rabies. Just explain they are feeding a family. I tell them to get a lemonade, a camera, a comfortable chair and a camera.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4446193
04/24/14 09:21 AM
04/24/14 09:21 AM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
You are all insane. Small children, small pets, pea hens, chickens, odor, maggots and rabies here in se PA (according to the PA Dept. of Health) are all reasons to get fox to move. What is so awful about that? It is no different than evicting a chimey or attic raccoon, or squirrel momma. After setting up this nice business and all the marketing effort and advert. work it took to get a decent number of calls, why in hades would I then tell them they don't have a problem? If a young mother with a toddler and a kitty thinks it is a problem, it is a problem which I spent my entire life learning how to make a living while solving. Unlike us, most people are somewhat fearful of wildlife up close. Are we not in the NUISANCE wildlife business? confused Oh and by the way, we like to leverage the job into a cleanup and barrier installation.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4446321
04/24/14 10:51 AM
04/24/14 10:51 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Speaking of insane, how do I explain the fact that I agree with Phil's post 100%. For those of you that don't know what a deck smells like with a family of fox living under it, think compost pile with a delicate hint of skunk.

My customers that are willing to put up with that smell, don't bother to call me. Of course, after the foxes leave and the skunks move in, then even those customers get on the phone.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4446592
04/24/14 02:06 PM
04/24/14 02:06 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I'm getting soft for sure and won't do a job just because I can. I need to feel like I am accomplishing in anything I do, trapping for a good reason. If a critter poses a danger, immanent threat, destroying etc. I'm there. Had a chuck call a while back. I asked, what's he doing? eating a garden or flowers? They said no, but "someone" told her it should be trapped. I simply told her I could come out any time and take her money, remove the chuck, but unless it was damaging something, why not let it ride? There was a local guy, did 3 hours of caulking with 2 guys for bats, where one bat was present, sold a ton of fear, worst case far reaching hypotheticals, charged $5,100, with a guarantee, of course. He spent a lot of time in court and is no longer in business, a "real surprise." But, I'm now trapping the chucks he released in the cemetery.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4448109
04/25/14 04:25 PM
04/25/14 04:25 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Jim, think about this example. A Doctor who takes advantage of hypochondriacs fears, sells pills to them, phony balony cures, etc. that is an ethical problem with that Dr., not the medical profession as a whole. Now does the ethical Doctor give the hypochondriac free treatment/consultation because there is nothing to be done?

I maintain it is ethical for me to handle that 'chuck call.' Because, what if she 'lets it ride' then something negative happens? It could be just a percieved negative, or a negative enhanced by 'someone who told her' or, something real. In any case she came to me for help because I am in the business to help with such things. I am all for turning something down that is absurd or pointless (e.g. - remove squirrel eggs from attic) but there is no reason not to take every call as a valid problem within your states law.

Last edited by Phil Nichols; 04/25/14 04:27 PM.
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4448160
04/25/14 05:21 PM
04/25/14 05:21 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Oh Yeah, I'm doing it again! Phil is not the only one that feels this way. I got a woodchuck job today from a reality investment firm. One of their renters claimed she was chased by a woodchuck.

Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. It doesn't matter to the landlords. I met her today and she is freaked. If we can't help her, who can? I don't know about the chased part, but that place is woodchuck heaven. ( It shares a fence with a junkyard )

What has this got to do with foxes? Everything. I am apparently a bigger fan of the red fox than all of you that turn down those jobs. I haven't killed a fox for probably close to thirty years. And I don't want any of my customers doing it because I turned down the job, either.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4448424
04/25/14 09:35 PM
04/25/14 09:35 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Good discussion, guys. Ron & I both work in Illinois and Missouri. Both states have nuisance requirements: animal must be a true nuisance if it is to be trapped as a nuisance animal. This helps keep poachers from trapping out of season, and keeps our consciences clear (well, mine, anyway...can't speak for Ron...heh heh).
I would call a fox under my deck a nuisance, and have no qualms whatsoever about removing it, as with any other species. If a fox ran across a field 100 yards from my house, I call that a "wildlife sighting."

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 04/25/14 09:35 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Dave Schmidt] #4450796
04/27/14 08:29 PM
04/27/14 08:29 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
Good discussion, guys. Ron & I both work in Illinois and Missouri. Both states have nuisance requirements: animal must be a true nuisance if it is to be trapped as a nuisance animal. This helps keep poachers from trapping out of season, and keeps our consciences clear (well, mine, anyway...can't speak for Ron...heh heh).
I would call a fox under my deck a nuisance, and have no qualms whatsoever about removing it, as with any other species. If a fox ran across a field 100 yards from my house, I call that a "wildlife sighting."

The local warden should have a handle on what is a 'true' nuisance. But his/her opinion is just that. The warden will not assume any liability if something bad happens. The 'fox in the field' after being dismissed as no problem, then picks off Mrs. Smiths fru-fru yap dog 'Tinkles.' Yes, the fox is certainly not to blame. But Mrs. Smith may lament 'Tinkles' demise from the roof tops. And if she is a woman of means, bring out the lawyers.

An animal trapped by a fur trapper is not to blame for anything either, except for having fur. Winkleman may have a soft spot in his heart for not doing anything lethal to fox, but he is in the minority when it comes to doing nuisance canine work. The setting may be way different, but there is a DVM whose name we all know, who does a lot of denning.

What I wonder is why I live in a place where there is a fox behind every corn stalk. We have lots of fox trappers, coyotes, mange, rabies and anything else you want to throw at them. Yet, year after year the fox manage to produce.

This is as much a mystery to me as the decline of our muskrats. I have to say, there was a place I could have trapped some muskrats this past winter. Instead of doing that I just kept driving past, looking for trapper foot prints in the snow to see if any one saw what I saw. Am happy to say all 3 huts are still there and active. They are within 150 ft. of a DD parking lot!

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4450880
04/27/14 09:20 PM
04/27/14 09:20 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
The local warden should have a handle on what is a 'true' nuisance. But his/her opinion is just that. The warden will not assume any liability if something bad happens.

In NH it's the homeowner or occupant who decides what a "nuisance" is.

I know folks who lose a dozen or more fowl each year to fox and raccoons and are fine with it.

On the other hand, I have a customer with a little foo foo dog who actually loses sleep every time she sees a fox. 'Everyone knows' that fox kill and eat foo foo dogs and if they don't their 'wild fleas' do. She stays awake nights worrying about this. She is not comforted unless she sees dead bodies. Only then is her precious foo foo protected.

If it is an honest nuisance to the customer, it's gone.

Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4450974
04/27/14 09:59 PM
04/27/14 09:59 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
From the Wildlife code of Missouri (i.e., the law):
"...species which beyond reasonable doubt is damaging property may be captured or killed by the owner of the property...or by his representantive..."
There ya have it.
That's all I have to say about that.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Red fox with pups [Re: Coondog6] #4451115
04/27/14 11:13 PM
04/27/14 11:13 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Phil, every since America's Songdogs arrived, the red fox population keeps getting less and less. I had a total of one mangy fox job last year and haven't had one yet this year.

Muskrats are another matter. After last years dry conditions I was sure there wouldn't be much muskrat work this year. I was wrong. We've probably got as many jobs this year as ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread