ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Groundhogs around a barn #4436752
04/17/14 03:44 PM
04/17/14 03:44 PM
Tipton, In.
R
RHuff Offline OP
trapper
RHuff  Offline OP
trapper
R

Tipton, In.
The farmer who owns most of my trapping property called to ask if I could get rid of some groundhogs around a barn he owns. I am going to pick up 4 live traps from williams live traps tomorrow evening due to the number of pets in the area and was wanting a little help with bait/lure recommendations. I have never cage trapped so any guidance will help.

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4436792
04/17/14 04:26 PM
04/17/14 04:26 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Stop! Instead of picking up 4 Williams, pickup 2 Comstocks. Make your woodchucks go through the cages ( they won't mind ) and you will live happily ever after.

Okay, I do remember my first job like this. The holes were obvious and I took a couple of double springed Conibears and set them over the holes. I then took a large piece of heavy screening and literally nailed them over the holes so none of the farmer's beloved pets could get caught. I actually took care of the problem and became very good friends with the farmer.

Funny thing: one of the woodchucks dug underneath the wire so that he could get caught in a Conibear. Not so with any of the so-called pets.

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 04/17/14 04:27 PM.
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4436799
04/17/14 04:30 PM
04/17/14 04:30 PM
Trumbull county, Ohio
C
coonwacka Offline
trapper
coonwacka  Offline
trapper
C

Trumbull county, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Stop! Instead of picking up 4 Williams, pickup 2 Comstocks. Make your woodchucks go through the cages ( they won't mind ) and you will live happily ever after.

With cone(s)!

Dave @ All Catch LLC. CNWACO
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4437105
04/17/14 08:32 PM
04/17/14 08:32 PM
Tipton, In.
R
RHuff Offline OP
trapper
RHuff  Offline OP
trapper
R

Tipton, In.
I will look into comstocks

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4437175
04/17/14 09:09 PM
04/17/14 09:09 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I've made a tunnel outta hardware cloth to keep pets out,,,,,12-18" on both sides of a 220.

Comstocks are the way to go though.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4437758
04/18/14 09:08 AM
04/18/14 09:08 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
RHuff,

There is nothing wrong with using Williams, SafeGuard, Comstock, Tomahawk, Advanced Trap, or any of the other professional traps out there for groundhogs. The key is knowing how the trap works and how to use it to your advantage.

If you're looking at walk-through, double door traps you can use Comstock, Tomahawk, or Advanced Trap models. Both Comstock and Tomahawk have spring powered, swing down doors while Advanced trap has powered swing down, powered guillotine, and gravity guillotine models. Both Comstock and Advanced Trap are wire trigger traps with the difference being Comstock has the trigger mechanism on the inside while Advanced Trap has them on the outside. Tomahawk has a pan system and all three are available powder coated with 1/2 x 1 inch wire.

If you want more of a baited set, then you can choose from Williams, SafeGuard, Comstock, Tomawak, Advanced Trap, or several others. Out of what I've posted, Williams and certain Advanced Trap's have gravity doors (swing down for Williams, guillotine for Advanced) while the other Advanced Trap, Comstock, SafeGuard, and Tomahawk all have powered doors. You can get nose cones to work with all of these or several of the manufactures offer "flush mount" traps which means the trap has wire extended past the set doors so you can put the trap right up to the building and multipurpose (which allow for flush mounting or placing the trap over a hole forcing the animal into the trap from the ground).

Again, what you need to do is decide how you will be placing the traps, if you will be using bait/trailing scents, any fencing or screening required, what you will do with the captured animal and then match the proper trap or setting technique to the situation.

Specific to releasing an animal, several of the manufactures (Advanced Trap, Comstock, SafeGuard, Tomahawk) have bait/release doors on the back of the single door traps that make it easy to access the back of the trap or release an animal. Williams traps can just be tipped over allowing the door to fall open so the animal can exit the trap (which also means you have to make sure the trap will not tip over when using it). For double door traps, you'll have to open one of the doors to release the animal so based on the door type, it may be more difficult for some brands than for others.

After having said all of that, is there a reason why you just don't use body gripping traps? You can set 155's in the tunnels and fence/block them off to keep other animals out. You can do this be placing a screen over top of the hole and anchoring it on the top only or your can erect a physical barrier out of wire, wood, blocks, cardboard, or other cheap materiel.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4437808
04/18/14 09:35 AM
04/18/14 09:35 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
YA...So take that ! crazy WCT....I got tired reading that...but informative !

Last edited by swampdonkey; 04/18/14 09:37 AM.

Joe Robidoux
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4437931
04/18/14 11:01 AM
04/18/14 11:01 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
I am going to pick up 4 live traps from williams live traps tomorrow evening due to the number of pets in the area and was wanting a little help with bait/lure recommendations.

RHuff, I have trapped a few woodchucks in my time and if we're talking the same animal, I've found that woodchuck urine and/or feces is a very good lure but without catching one first, it is hard to find.

Without the above mentioned lure I use a drop of castor and a drop of apple essence inside the trap with a good sized piece of either apple, broccoli, cabbage or cantaloupe.

Once you make a catch, save the dirt from under the cage to use in the next set.

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438020
04/18/14 12:32 PM
04/18/14 12:32 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
All joking aside...this stuff works really good too...I use it all the time. I pour about half a teaspoon , right on the pan..it's a Lima Bean lure..I get it from Alan @ Wildlife Control Supplies

Joe Robidoux
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438105
04/18/14 02:02 PM
04/18/14 02:02 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Sorry swampdonkey,

Blame it on the upcoming cage trapping workshop, lol. And don't misunderstand me, I love the Comstock traps. I've got double door, single door, 5 x 5 squirrel, 5 x 3 squirrel, and just ordered another beaver trap and the 12 x 12 trap. But I've also got multiple traps from Advanced Trap, Williams, Tomahawk, Safeguard, and others. I speak quite frequently with all of the manufactures that I know and one point they all have in common is saying that you need to match the trap to the situation and for groundhogs, they can all be made to work. Now if this was a discussion on what cage trap to use for coyote, bobcat, or beaver a good number of my recommendations would end up being removed.

Eric Arnold
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438221
04/18/14 03:30 PM
04/18/14 03:30 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Don't be sorry man...I'm just joking around....as always

Joe Robidoux
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438236
04/18/14 03:48 PM
04/18/14 03:48 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
RHuff, I'll go sqs one better. Any freshly dug ground, scattered throughout your cage, is a great lure.

Eric beat me to it. I was going to comment on how having an upcoming seminar on cage traps does wonders for someone who is a bat expert!

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438270
04/18/14 04:22 PM
04/18/14 04:22 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
I catch ALOT of groundhogs in cages without problems just make sure the cage is clean of other animal scents, as mentioned above catch 1 in that cage and keep on using it dont clean it and keep your bait fresh or its a possum you will catch.Its illegal here to use a coni on dry land although the gmen trappers use them and they are efficient but I wouldnt put one out if you catch a pet youd probably wished you never saw one.

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438337
04/18/14 05:19 PM
04/18/14 05:19 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Now see Paul, if you'd come to one of my bat classes you'd know that I always start them off with "I'm not a bat expert". eek

Eric Arnold
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438347
04/18/14 05:27 PM
04/18/14 05:27 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
So my first question at Eric's bat class would be: Are there any ground bats?, because I get hollered at every time I come near a ladder.

Which reminds me: A few months ago I was on a roof, the ladder blew over, and I had to jump onto an evergreen branch and drop to the ground.

I looked like I was 21 instead of 71. I just wish I would have felt it instead of looked it!

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438457
04/18/14 07:23 PM
04/18/14 07:23 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Paul,

Pallid bats would be number 1 with Eastern Small Footed bats being number 2.

Eric Arnold
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438622
04/18/14 09:19 PM
04/18/14 09:19 PM
Tipton, In.
R
RHuff Offline OP
trapper
RHuff  Offline OP
trapper
R

Tipton, In.
Thanks for all of the great info I am going to check out the situation in te morning and see what will work best i will keep you all posted.

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438651
04/18/14 09:33 PM
04/18/14 09:33 PM
AR
22mag Offline
trapper
22mag  Offline
trapper

AR
I also like Wickenkamp traps. They are good traps IMO as are the others mentioned. I love having options for various situations.

Jason Turner
Wildlife Removal, Etc.
www.facebook.com/WildlifeRemovalEtc
Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4438950
04/19/14 03:13 AM
04/19/14 03:13 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
I have some Comstocks and love them. But for 20+ years before they were available I've caught a frillion groundhogs in every type of cage trap imaginable. Don't get all freaked out about using one type or brand of trap. I've been using directors (forces animal leaving den into trap) for over 20 years. It's just a posi-set.

Any good cage trap will work for groundhogs, even baited non-posi sets. Covering the bottom with dirt will greatly increase catch rates. Here's a couple pics from about 2 weeks ago. Was out of 2-door traps, so used a single door Comstock (but any would have worked) and one of my director boxes. A bit of bait, and dirt-covered floor of trap. Had the chuckster in 2 hours.

Ron Scheller

Re: Groundhogs around a barn [Re: RHuff] #4439060
04/19/14 08:13 AM
04/19/14 08:13 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Double door traps with nose cones have made the jobs so easy. Last year a fellow with one of those half circle horse barns called with a family a chucks living in it and around it. He had tried with a single door trap with bait the year before and caught one chuck all summer. We saw chucks duck into two holes and started setting. In 20 minutes we has two big ones as we finished setting. By mid afternoon he called and said we had 4 more. Six hours, six chucks. The traps were left in place and took 2 more chucks in the coming days, none baited, no maintenance, no non targets. We experimented and found that 36 and 30 inch long traps were not necessary. In time we went to 24 and then down to an the very short 18's which do fine for skunks and chucks, the shortest ever tried in double door traps. They take up so little space in a truck and also are much easier to place than a longer trap. Additionally, besides the regular nose cone, we carry a nose cone that works in any direction, straight out or either side for those locations that have something like a bush, tree or tractor directly in front of the hole. Saves time building something to steer them in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread