ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Of mice or squirells??? #4414244
04/03/14 03:15 PM
04/03/14 03:15 PM
Trumbull county, Ohio
C
coonwacka Offline OP
trapper
coonwacka  Offline OP
trapper
C

Trumbull county, Ohio
Little assistance to just double check with the pro's.
Hole:

This is the only sign of life up there. Under insulation on top of sheetrock:

Homeowners don't believe it's only mice that's making all the racket. These pics were taken directly above there bedroom where they go to bed around 7:30 and hear "the scratching, nuts rolling and running". Tried to explain just lots of mice (which I don't do, got a friend whose an exterminator). Also hole after hole thru the blown in and some small trails on top w/mice poo in them.
Questioned myself at first, thinking flyers or roof rats but no sign I can see.
On opposite side of house there was also a gap about 4" long and 1" height but wood was flexible at the area.

Homeowner said he seen squirrels walking along the brick wall in that vicinity so I set cage on roof. 4 days nothing! Yesterday he discovered wood and chipped paint, in the back corner, on the ground where above pics where taken. I searched the whole attic and exterior the first day. Back yard's fenced and locked up when I've been checking daily until today, so I would never notice that hole.

What = mice, When = mainly early evening, Where = attic, Why = warm and dry. Is this right Jonesie?

I'm positive it's all mice. What do you think?

Last edited by coonwacka; 04/03/14 05:42 PM. Reason: stupidity

Dave @ All Catch LLC. CNWACO
Re: Of mice or squirells??? [Re: coonwacka] #4414265
04/03/14 03:38 PM
04/03/14 03:38 PM
Trumbull county, Ohio
C
coonwacka Offline OP
trapper
coonwacka  Offline OP
trapper
C

Trumbull county, Ohio
BTW, getting interior remodeled as of yesterday... So construction is going on inside all day. Which imo doesn't help. New roof next week.

Re: Of mice or squirells??? [Re: coonwacka] #4414835
04/03/14 09:07 PM
04/03/14 09:07 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
There aren't any latrines or droppings scattered everywhere? Have you put any snap traps up there?

Re: Of mice or squirells??? [Re: coonwacka] #4414962
04/03/14 10:00 PM
04/03/14 10:00 PM
Trumbull county, Ohio
C
coonwacka Offline OP
trapper
coonwacka  Offline OP
trapper
C

Trumbull county, Ohio
Droppings next to every 2 x 4 joist going across ceiling. They're running the area where the roll insulation is bridging the side of the joist. Poo is everywhere you look when you filter down thru their holes.

I thought about snap traps but why? I know the mice are there. Showed pics to homeowner and am going to take them up there to look at all this.

The hole is not as big as it looks in pic. The actual size 1" dia. This is on opposite side of house all of a sudden.
Could mice chew that hole in one night? I know they can in drywall!

Re: Of mice or squirells??? [Re: coonwacka] #4415353
04/04/14 07:32 AM
04/04/14 07:32 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
The exterior hole appears to be large enough to be a squirrel entry point.Unless it is an optical illusion. Easy way to find out is to put a nose cone fitted with a colony trap attached to the hole. Then set a couple single catch traps on either side of the corner set up or along the gutters. Should have your answer in a day or less if there is any regular squirrel/rat activity in and out.

Many folks have mice/rats and squirrels together many times.

Re: Of mice or squirells??? [Re: coonwacka] #4415369
04/04/14 07:47 AM
04/04/14 07:47 AM
Trumbull county, Ohio
C
coonwacka Offline OP
trapper
coonwacka  Offline OP
trapper
C

Trumbull county, Ohio
Thank you Mr. Jameson!