Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#441134 - 12/02/07 05:17 PM One way to trap deep snow(pictorial)
DFronek Offline
trapper

Loc: N.e.WI. 45
Here's one way to trap when snow gets deep,got most of this idea from Mchewk,and tweaked it a little for myself.

First you gotta shovel out a nice area so you have something to work with.

Next you chip out a trap bed,I went to a 10# maul with a sharpened piece of car leaf spring welded to the back end,makes opening up the ground a breeze,well almost.lol

Next I'll put a layer of calcium chloride in the bottom of the bed,then I'll add dry dirt with anti-freeze mixed in.

Next I'll anchor the trap with a cable stake down through the center of the bed,and like in my other posts,hollow out a depression so your chain lays nicely under the trap then bed your trap making sure it's solid and no tipping.Then sprinkle some anti-freeze around the trap.

You'll also notice in the above pic a rebar stake in the ground,this is my lure hole,I make them using rebar to make the holes,you can make one or two or three if you want for different attractants..

Now this is where I veer off,instead of finishing off the set with a pan cover and dry dirt,I make sure the dirt is level with the trap jaws,then I'll cover everything and the surrounding shoveled area with straw chaf or hay chaf,the fine stuff.It stays unfrozen,and being fine less likely to clog trap jaws.I make sure the chaf is level across the trap bed,no high spots over the trap.

You'll also notice snow mounded up as the backing,but what I'll do is cover it up with hay chaff along with covering my lure holes.It makes it look like a hay mound or a partial one anyway.

Well,that's one way to deal with deep snow,whats also nice,once you got these made in the deeper snow,is you'll beable to find them after another big dumping of snow,just look for the big 6'-8' snow crater.

Hope you enjoy.Hopefully catch pics to follow soon.

#441177 - 12/02/07 05:40 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: DFronek]
ZekeMan Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Pennsylvania
Awsome! I already have a couple of locations in mind. I have all the straw I need too. (I live on a farm).

#441207 - 12/02/07 05:51 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: ZekeMan]
LineMtnCooner Offline
trapper

Loc: Northumberland County, PA
Cool!

#441213 - 12/02/07 05:52 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: DFronek]
Wiscoon Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central Wisconsin
Sorry for a dumb question, but I've never used footholds in frozen ground before. What do you use for your "antifreeze" with your dry dirt?

Vegetarians: Can't live with 'em ........ Can't kill 'em

#441218 - 12/02/07 05:53 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: ]
DFronek Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Andy S
You're bad Blak. Would LIKE to meet you one day. Great posts REALLY enjoy them.

I've got some IDEAS for some more good ones myself.

Keep em coming.

Andy

Same here,someday.

Lets hear your ideas,always looking for new stuff.
One thing about trapping in this junk,ain't fast rollin',it takes about 10-15 min a set and thats humping it,chipping the hole decides how long it takes for the set,rock slows ya down.Also,will be going to those super stakes next winter,heavy berks dont always go down unless I have a nut welded to the inside tip to re-inforce it and keep it from ripping out.

#441220 - 12/02/07 05:55 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: Wiscoon]
Lynxcattrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
NICE one!!!

#441225 - 12/02/07 05:56 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: LineMtnCooner]
inline50 Offline
trapper

Loc: carroll county, IL.
i like that look

#441231 - 12/02/07 05:59 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: inline50]
dallas
Unregistered

looks good

#441234 - 12/02/07 06:00 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: Wiscoon]
DFronek Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Wiscoon
What do you use for your "antifreeze" with your dry dirt?

Calcium chloride or Rid ice,basically the same thing.

#441240 - 12/02/07 06:01 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: ]
DFronek Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Andy S
I'm NOT that crazy, lol

Oh yeah you are,your just in denial.I've accepted my mine.lol

#441241 - 12/02/07 06:02 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: DFronek]
TrapperMikeNC Offline
trapper

Loc: NC,Wataga county
good post ..thanks

#441259 - 12/02/07 06:09 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: TrapperMikeNC]
furharvester11 Offline
trapper

Loc: Alger, Michigan
thanks for the post im new so ill have to try it out
Yote:30/
Muskrats:50/

#441424 - 12/02/07 07:09 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: furharvester11]
Silver Fox
Unregistered

Awesome post.
How many did you do today?????

#441448 - 12/02/07 07:22 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: ]
RdFx Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Duane, the berks will work if you use a 18 v drill with either a earth or cement bit. i use a 5/8 with at least a 12 inch extension or buy one with long shank.. You drill hole in middle of trap bed and then drive your cable stake down, just as easy as in summer. You dont have to set stake either as yote will do that for you, trust me on that one...lol. I use same method when using cable restraints... saves ALOT of pounding and makes things easier and faster....

#441460 - 12/02/07 07:29 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: furharvester11]
magnus Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Re: your problem with Berkshires flattening out ... I'll bet its mostly due to the ground being frozen. What I do is make a pilot hole thru the frost line with a rebar stake, pull it out, load the cable stake, and then set it. Works for me and prevents most of the tip bending, especially on the HD Berks...

#441469 - 12/02/07 07:31 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: RdFx]
Silver Fox
Unregistered

Nice tip Lee,
Thanks

#441470 - 12/02/07 07:32 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: ]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Great pic.s! Looks good! I do it slightly different but it all works.
I like using a half to 3/4s of a bale as my backing. That way the wind doesn't blow my chaff off my trap. Place bale on the predominant wind side so it shields trap set. IF you use your set like Duane showed use a large rock or piece of wood to shield and hold your chaff in place.
I beat an impression into the ground but chopping one out works too. Two traps might be better due to snow drifting or deep snow...coyotes will miss your single trap sometimes. lol
After making a catch you've got easy remakes as the caught animal disingrates the bale into fine dust...mound rest and your back in biz.
I like skunky lures like Bounty Hunter, GH 2, Slim's new one GH 3, and any other skunky lure. Urine and gland can also be used.

#441515 - 12/02/07 07:43 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: MChewk]
Heavyduty Offline
trapper

Loc: Hamilton county, Indiana
Hey Blak Coyote , I noticed your calcium chloride looks to have rock salt or sodium chloride mixed in with it in your pics?

I buy mine from Wal-mart , it comes in a 1 gallon container called "Heat" by Prestone
it is all white beads with nothing else in it.

maybe it's just ice or something in your pic

anyway nice post, I like this ideas guys
thanks

Lonnie

#441531 - 12/02/07 07:49 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: Heavyduty]
nelacres Offline
"The Farmer"

Loc: Derby, Vermont 45 for now
Nice I will try this thanks.....

Nelly

#441639 - 12/02/07 08:37 PM Re: One way to trap deep snow(pictorial) [Re: nelacres]
Terry Offline
trapper

Loc: White Sulphur Springs, MT
I saved all my grass clippings this summer when I cut my yard. Will have to give your idea a try.
Any deer problems?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie