ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Customer trying to run your job #4413726
04/03/14 10:08 AM
04/03/14 10:08 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline OP
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
I never have had an issue with this in the past, however as of late, i am getting customers that have tried solving an issue, fail, then contract me to bat clean up. Which is fine, however, they are slipping baits in my cages after i leave, moving the traps to places they feel they should be, and so on. I kindly explain my logic behind why i choose to do what i do but they at that point they basically talk down to me like i have no clue!
Bottom line, takes 2-3x longer to close out these jobs! And that kills the bottom line $
Advice?
Not saying i know everything and can not learn any tricks along the way but using same baits and same sets they failed at seems endless and pointless.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413754
04/03/14 10:21 AM
04/03/14 10:21 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline OP
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
I think a lot of the problem is that we live in a world of instant gratification these days and if the problem isn't solved the first night then that must mean my magical wand is defective...

But the flip side of the coin, if it is solved the first night they feel they over paid for how little "work" was put in lol
Cant win for loosing sometimes

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413796
04/03/14 10:44 AM
04/03/14 10:44 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Nic, this happens all the time. I have what I consider a pretty fool proof method. I usually take three cages per job but at least two. You tell the customer that you are going to set your cage where you hope to catch the animal and that you will set "his" cage anywhere he tells you to.

Now it's a competition and the rules are, you won't touch "his" cage and he can't touch yours. This is kind of a win-win situation for you. You will be surprised at how many times the customer wins and they love it, but my favorite is when the customer has an animal in his cage and he thinks he won and then you point to the animal in your cage too.

I also have customers who tell me exactly what they want for bait. It's usually something like black walnuts so I dip them in squirrel paste and the customer never knows the difference. I've actually come to enjoy the challenge of taking on the bossy customer.

Two days ago a customer told me that he really thought that I had set my raccoon trap in a pretty dumb place and he was sure I wouldn't catch any raccoons where I set it. But he wanted me to know that since I caught four raccoons in that cage in four days, he felt that he should congratulate me on my knowledge of raccoons. I thanked him and said that if I hadn't learned anything by the age of 71, I probably never would.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413802
04/03/14 10:50 AM
04/03/14 10:50 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline OP
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Good stuff Paul!

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413815
04/03/14 10:57 AM
04/03/14 10:57 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline OP
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Like that way of thinking wink

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413847
04/03/14 11:20 AM
04/03/14 11:20 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
This isn't 100% applicable, but my brother in law through the years though being full time USAF and around the globe ultimately also became a master of tile work and on the side did lots and lots of bathrooms and floors and so forth.

Now, as you'd imagine, many folks would like to see, or watch, or even lend a hand.

His sense of humor is quick and one of the best I've had the pleasure to hear in my lifetime.

His line when asked, "do you mind if I watch or lend a hand?"

Either of these he responds with the same response....

"Absolutely, if you'd like to lend a hand or help out the cost is double."

Obviously he states it with a light tone, but it gets the point across that if you the client want to get involved
in my process it is going to cost you more....

Since I don't trap on a daily basis that one I haven't dealt with, however I have had the condo complex that wants
their handyman to tag along while I do their bat inspection and exclusion work...

My reply in these situations has been that I work alone, my work is covered by my warranty and insurance and
that while I understand they'd like to add skills to their handyman, it is something I can't conform to.

Haven't had one of the few that I've stated this to not nod and agree even if their handyman was all excited about
doing this.

With bird exclusion I have had of course a number of folks believe that what I was prescribing they might tweak
themselves, or that they knew better. Just recently a client of mine from a few years ago when we launched had
a rogue pair of pigeons who decided even though all shaded and sheltered portions of the roof were excluded properly
they would nest on the open roof until a good site opened up... She could hear them up there and wrote me stating

"Good morning Justin, I noticed this morning I can hear the birds right over the bedroom area. I tried to turn on the furnace
(we had a few cold nights recently) and it didn't turn on and I fear the pigeons have entered the system and somehow caused it to not
work. Please come when you can and let me know what you think."

I wrote her back in the best tone and understanding nature I could (she is a super client, great lady) and slowly explained that the
exclusion materials prevent any entry under or within the ductwork and central air setup on the roof, next explained the central air
in on the roof but the furnace is in her home either in the garage or a utility closet.

Finally that I would get by and check on what was going on, but that before calling an HVAC tech to go check the circuit breaker box
and see if maybe that was it. I added that often I forget to check this simple thing in my house when things aren't firing up...

She replied an hour later, the breaker was flipped and she was thankful etc.....

Ultimately I think you need a stick or schtick (whichever one is more effective!)

You hit it on the head that when you catch overnight folks often look at you like that price was steep since it was so fast, however
the converse is eating into the bottom line.

What about putting a clause in your paper contract or stating in your verbal exchange if not using one for normal trap/capture
operations that states something like.

"While we understand the desire of some clients to move or modify our trapping equipment, you hired us to resolve your wildlife
issue professionally and within this time frame. Any modification or alteration to our equipment when set on your property extends
the potential timeline and therefore our operating costs that we must pass on to you the client...."

Lol!

I laugh as I write it, I'm not sure folks would take kindly to this and maybe Paul's method is better, though for a smaller operator I can
see having a "dump" trap that they get to play with being a hassle.

Another option that might help, what about putting a metal tag say 2x2" or bigger depending on size of traps that has some "NO TAMPERING"
statement?

We used to use trap tags that stated (these traps are being monitored by video cameras). Lost far less of these traps than others on public land operations in MI.

I guess it depends on how common as well, if it is commonly occuring the cost is potentially higher to you in terms of loss and then is worth
more effort and explanation to the client to get them to leave your gear where you put it.

Think I'm rambling now....

smile

Justin

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413854
04/03/14 11:26 AM
04/03/14 11:26 AM
PA
P
pick65 Offline
trapper
pick65  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Nic:
My theory is the customer is always RIGHT even when the customer is "WRONG"!
When being dictated to on how the job is to be done, do it the customers way
and at the end of a time frame hand them the bill regardless of the # of
animals caught. If no animals are caught, set the job up you way and charge them
the second time.
The customer is always right even though you bill them twice!!

pick65

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413878
04/03/14 11:37 AM
04/03/14 11:37 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Just to clarify; after setting the "customer's cage" exactly where they want it, they hardly ever touch it again. And on the few times that they moved it, the often caught the animal, which made them even happier.

Now you might think that since the customer moved the cage and caught the animal, that they would never call you again since they pretty much did it by themselves. Just the opposite is true. I think some of them hope they get another animal so they can call me up again.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413893
04/03/14 11:47 AM
04/03/14 11:47 AM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Fire them. No tamper policy in service agreement that they need to initial next to. One chance IF I like them or they have repairs approved (which tend to be one and the same smile ) after that per service agreement traps are pulled with no refund. Will PM you our exact wording.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413928
04/03/14 12:03 PM
04/03/14 12:03 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline OP
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Lots of good ideas

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413957
04/03/14 12:24 PM
04/03/14 12:24 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
PM sent

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4413981
04/03/14 12:39 PM
04/03/14 12:39 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Retiree's are the absolute worst. They have WAAAAAY to much time on their hands with nothing better to do than screw around with your equipment.
Next are the ones that try to pick your brain so they can do it themselves, and not pay you!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4414594
04/03/14 07:02 PM
04/03/14 07:02 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey Bob, I'm in both categories. The only trouble is when someone tries to pick my brain, the pickin's are pretty slim.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4414733
04/03/14 08:28 PM
04/03/14 08:28 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We all have had this happen if you have been doing this very long.

After a couple of times you learn how to handle it or you should.

If and when this happens again all I do is have a talk with the customer regarding the interference with our set up.

I give them a choice, leave them alone or we walk immediately. I ask for the set up fee that they owe us and politely leave. I tell them to call someone else who will be better able to tolerate their actions.

I have walked off a few jobs in my days.Thats one way to get me to leave, another one is to try to play "lets make a deal" on a service price.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4414942
04/03/14 09:51 PM
04/03/14 09:51 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Good ideas, all.
I'm with Bob J. & Charles. Got a K.I.S.S. clause in the contract: 1. We are exclusively doing the trapping. 2. No tampering permitted.
Had an extreme case a year or two ago: nice Ward-n-June type family, raccoons were going thru their yard & on their deck but no entry, kids & dogs involved. After much deliberation, I set my traps in carefully-chosen spots. Trouble was, the wife just couldn't leave the traps alone: stuck hot dogs/food scraps in the traps, moved them (you know what can happen when a Williams trap isn't secured...?). First offence resulted in a verbal reminder, 2nd time it was a note telling her to reread the contract. After the third time, I gave her a choice: since she had breached the contract, I could start a brand-new job with brand-new contract terms including my on-site check daily. Or I close the job and let her do her own trapping.
She complained to the BBB; I clearly explained the situation and my reasons for the no-tampering clause. The BBB agreed with me.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4414954
04/03/14 09:57 PM
04/03/14 09:57 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline OP
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Way to stick to your guns!

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4414990
04/03/14 10:17 PM
04/03/14 10:17 PM
Sacramento Mountains NM
mtncat Offline
trapper
mtncat  Offline
trapper

Sacramento Mountains NM
All of my traps have cables attached and when ever possible are locked in place. Contract clearly outlines state statute regarding tampering with traps.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4415372
04/04/14 07:48 AM
04/04/14 07:48 AM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
The only trouble is when someone tries to pick my brain, the pickin's are pretty slim.

So a penny for your thoughts would be price gouging?

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4415549
04/04/14 10:26 AM
04/04/14 10:26 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
I have a large corporate account that told me yesterday they want daily status reports.

Now this is a large gated community that I just recently acquired because the previous company had dead squirrels left in the cages and residents are very animal friendly.

Personally I do not want to be a slave and forced to call daily just to tell a already over worked secretary that traps are empty or that we caught 1 squirrel. I would be fine with calling on every Friday or Monday and giving them a status of the week. But daily seems excessive to me.

Re: Customer trying to run your job [Re: Nic Pallo] #4415858
04/04/14 01:19 PM
04/04/14 01:19 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Nate,

Maybe this first time around they will get the feel of who you are and how you are different, you make your funds, deal with the bother
and ultimately they should come out seeing you as the new gold standard and can drop back on that daily call need.

Seems like you have a good client to show what a pro is versus a hack!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread