ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bats #4410839
04/01/14 08:15 PM
04/01/14 08:15 PM
Iowa
dspree Offline OP
trapper
dspree  Offline OP
trapper

Iowa
I have 3 or 4 bat jobs to do as soon as the weather gets decent enough to start. People are getting them inside their houses and wanting them out.

Member Iowa Trappers Association
Minnesota trappers association
F.T.A.
D&D Nuisance Wildlife Control
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4411417
04/02/14 12:53 AM
04/02/14 12:53 AM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline
trapper
Lundy  Offline
trapper
L

North Branch MN
Can you inspect the inside of the house and seal the inside? I have done that several times. When the weather breaks you can do the exclusion. Solve their problem now and fix it later.

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4411764
04/02/14 10:20 AM
04/02/14 10:20 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
X2.

Not all clients will pay for interior seals but it is a great tactic for dealing with bats in the living quarters during off season times and maternity season as well.

Sealing that living space will give those folks piece of mind while not harming the bat colony in the attic, walls, roof, etc....

Of course if you meant that they just have bats in the structure but not in the living space then this doesn't apply.

Justin

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4411838
04/02/14 11:16 AM
04/02/14 11:16 AM
N Central Iowa 40+
iayogi17 Offline
trapper
iayogi17  Offline
trapper

N Central Iowa 40+
X3

Brad Mohr
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4414455
04/03/14 05:38 PM
04/03/14 05:38 PM
Iowa
dspree Offline OP
trapper
dspree  Offline OP
trapper

Iowa
One of the houses is a large log house that is going to take some extensive interior sealing that the homeowner isn't willing to pay for. This house is one that I had worked on last fall that I probably should have passed on. The roof has steel shingles on it and the ridge cap is coming loose in places. The homeowner had tried to contact the company that installed the roof to have them do the repairs as warranty work, but hasn't had any luck. The other houses haven't had them in the living space only in the walls.

F.T.A.
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4414481
04/03/14 05:55 PM
04/03/14 05:55 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Thanks for the update dspree, understandable about the log cabin situation. I've got numerous clients who have either gone after their
roofer or sider or stucco company due to faulty issues leading to bat problems. Sometimes it is tough to pass, I know being only a few years
in I've eaten my profits more than a few times to make it right, but ultimately have a happy client and I learn.

Numerous folks I've talked to and some on here have very particular policies about log houses! smile

Justin

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4414789
04/03/14 08:51 PM
04/03/14 08:51 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
And.... in many cases the roofers did nothing wrong. Their installation is "normal" and it doesn't leak. Roofers are not concerned with bats, and in reality they shouldn't be. As much as we like to point out the numerous problems they create, in a way we should be glad they aren't bat experts, as we would be looking for work! I've had churches and homeowners INSIST the roofers come back to "solve" the bat problem, and they almost always fail miserably.

Ron Scheller

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4415555
04/04/14 10:31 AM
04/04/14 10:31 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Standard construction practices allow entry, plain and simple. Bad workmanship or faulty materials are different than standard practices and this is where clients and prospects get confused. To them, it's one and the same so they want to try and enforce a "warranty" from the roofer to "save money" who is going to "try" and fix the problem with caulk, tar, and foam shot in places they think the bats or animals are using just to get the client off their backs.

This is akin to asking the hygienist to fix the filling the dentist did. Even though they both work on your teeth, everyone knows that the hygienist (with one exception) is not qualified to do that type of service. As an industry, we need to take opportunities like this to educate individuals with wildlife conflicts without putting down the other trades.

When I have an issue like this, I have no problem educating the client about why it is a bad idea to try and have the "handyman/roofer/siding guy/gutter guy/painter/neighbor/etc.) resolve the problem. If I see an actual problem (metal roofing needs replaced, chimney needs torn down and rebuilt, sheathing needs addressed, etc.) I will point it out and generally recommend that it be addressed by the proper trade but if it is something small (3 joints in need of tuck pointing, 5 slates to be replaced, etc.) and I have the skill/knowledge to do the work I include it in my quote. Ultimately, the choice is theirs but rarely do they pass on my services once they understand the difference between wildlife control work and major construction jobs along with the added project costs by having someone else attempt to address the problem.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4415618
04/04/14 11:09 AM
04/04/14 11:09 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Good points Ron and Eric!

I definitely try to avoid offering info on roofing and other structural components without stating to the client or potential client that "I am not a roofer" so take any info with that in mind.

We of course do benefit directly from typical construction practices even the good builders leave gaps that wildlife benefit from and exploit so the link to our industry is there whether or not the contractor is good or shoddy when roofing, siding, etc....

Most of the clients I've had pursue their sider or roofer were still interested in having our work performed first to seal and exclude after evicting the species in question, rather than having the roofer or sider or stucco guys come out and put new materials on and seal in the problem making things worse all around.

One disclaimer everyone in this industry should think of or know as well is what is legal for them to do without a contractors license and what is. In some states it is a limit of a certain dollar value, say if the bid is for work over $10,000.00, while in others simply making a normal exclusion fix can run afoul of state licenses and contracting. I've raised this issue a few times and it seems many folks know this law well and how to work within it, while others just tempt fate and figure if they ever get snagged they will pay the fines and leave it at that.

Seems like most states vary widely on these policies, just sayin related to this post, there are things we are able to do that are legal and others that you need your ducks in a row paperwork wise with your state contracting depts. Something as simple as removing and replacing insulation can be seen as needing a contractors license in enough states that you'd be surprised.

Part of our client interaction is always going to be educating them on what we do and what we don't do and the difference between us and someone else in another industry who might have an overlap in terms of working on the dwelling or structure.

Justin

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4415647
04/04/14 11:21 AM
04/04/14 11:21 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Justin,

Good point. Just to add to it, contractor licenses may be state wide, county wide, municipality specific, or a combination of different licenses for different locations and activities.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4415718
04/04/14 11:51 AM
04/04/14 11:51 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
I have never taken a log house bat job....just because looking at them, makes me believe there might be a lot of return trips.....as with a slate roof bat job..i will just steer clear of. Just my feelings as I pretty much do bat jobs alone...

Joe Robidoux
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4415766
04/04/14 12:21 PM
04/04/14 12:21 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Quote:
I have never taken a log house bat job.

Most of mine bat jobs are on log home.
Swedish cope are the ones you never can be quite sure about
I usually research the builder......
I always pull the window and door moldings,,,this is a easy up sale because most home ownwer will tell you that they can feel a draft in these places..
The upside is often the upper level is conventional frame on most homes

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4415855
04/04/14 01:17 PM
04/04/14 01:17 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Vinke,

Speaking of moldings I've seen some of the lowest height bats in these locations. Low first story windows about 4 feet above grade in the back of those hollowed out logs that many of the cabin types I see use. Bats seem to love these! Second story even better, of course so do the hornets and wasps....

On another note, how many folks see the same thing related to that air flow issue? I've pointed out to countless homeowners how much their building is leaking its heat source due to all kinds of gaps that bats exploit, so energy efficiency and bat exclusion can be a nice hand in hand!

smile

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4416038
04/04/14 03:46 PM
04/04/14 03:46 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Vinke...pretty sure it's because I don't know how they are exactly built or what....I have performed many sucssefull flyer jobs on log homes...and I evicted bats from a ..kinda...mini log home. Guess you'd call it a shed...LOL smile

Joe Robidoux
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4416102
04/04/14 04:19 PM
04/04/14 04:19 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I think that I might actually have a cure for those idiots who actually think that a log home is wonderful.

You should all be raised in one, like I was. Only my log home was one of those 1800's originals. Okay, you do learn how to shoot!

I would be lying in bed and hear this little noise. ( I had added an extension to the light in the middle of the room. )

"Pull the cord and fire." You could actually see me growing up by looking at the holes in the baseboard. BB, .22, and shotshell!

It was a great lesson. Our house = concrete, brick, steel, and no stupid wood burning fireplace. Learned from experience!

My kids and especially the Mrs., can still shoot very well. Just not in self-defense like I was taught.

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 04/04/14 04:20 PM.
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4416164
04/04/14 04:51 PM
04/04/14 04:51 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
I resemble that remark, I have you know that I built and enjoy my log home some 23 years and counting now. Most likely will die here.If I get a bat or bug problem I know someone who can fix the problem.:)

A little maintenance on the exterior every 5-8 years with Sikkens but other than that no real issues to date. I really enjoy our wood stove as it is our heat source and none better. No bullet holes yet in this home. I did shoot a 12ga once when really young thru our front door by accident. Just checking the safety on it. Guess it didnt work very well at the time. Sure got everyones attention in the house. LOL

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4416208
04/04/14 05:17 PM
04/04/14 05:17 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Bob, you don't have to believe this, but it is true. I was looking at the school bus approaching through the scope on my brand new J.C. Higgens automatic .22 from my upper story bedroom window. I pulled the trigger, the safety was off, and I blew a hole through both the window and the storm window.

Mom was mad but since the bus was there, she didn't have time to do much more than holler. That was about 60 years ago and I remember it just like it happened yesterday. I thank God that my learning lessons never hurt anyone.

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4416259
04/04/14 05:49 PM
04/04/14 05:49 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Justin, i do not know it tax credits are still available currently, but in the past by using rated sealants customers were able to offset the cost of exclusion

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4416690
04/04/14 09:43 PM
04/04/14 09:43 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
That's worth a look Vinke. I do love showing folks how the wind blows right through those entry points!

Some of course don't care, but these days with energy bills rockin along, can't see not....

Re: Bats [Re: dspree] #4417450
04/05/14 12:04 PM
04/05/14 12:04 PM
Iowa
dspree Offline OP
trapper
dspree  Offline OP
trapper

Iowa
I will agree log homes are in a league of their own when it comes to excluding bats. there are just so many places they can get into the house and every year it seams there ends up being more gaps between the logs from the house settling and the logs shrinking. As with the roof I am not saying anything bad about the installer, it seems to me there might be an issue with the ridge cap itself and I want to make sure that if I do any work to it that I don't void any warranty that there may be.

F.T.A.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread