Thats good thinking on the warranty aspect dspree!

In my area tile roofs are the norm and if you read the fine print on most of the homeowners documents from roofing companies who sell it, you aren't supposed to be on it, even the new composite style that aren't old clay or vintage terra cotta.

However, nearly all homeowners know that in order to fix problems on the roof ultimately folks are going up there.

I discuss this and have it in my contract when working on tile roofs for pigeons as otherwise you can open yourself up to problems.

I did a job last year that was a two story tile roof pigeon exclusion around solar units. Two things play in here. The tile roof and not breaking tiles when walking on them and secondly the solar panels, if you drill into the frame of a solar panel you void the homeowners warranty.

Many folks don't realize that and one quick drilled sheet metal screw to attach hardware cloth or netting and they are out of their warranty if the company so desires.

The job required me to have a few panels removed which meant having the solar folks come out and remove them as I'm not licensed to (not that I'd want to if I was), and what I saw was eye opening.

They didn't think twice about a tile crunching under heavy boots and ultimately I was left realizing that my standard for careful walking was way beyond theirs and I've seen others since from various professions doing the same. Have had commercial property owners tell me, I know you are going to break tiles when you are up there, just tell me where they are so I can have them replaced by our handyman.

I use soft soled shoes that flex and bend, walk where I know the weight is supported and treat their roof like it is mine.

Good on you for thinking of the potential to void their warranty...

Justin