ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Best Research Site #4401377
03/27/14 04:49 PM
03/27/14 04:49 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I just did an on-line questionaire for Ask.com. This site was really good years ago but then, so was I. Since advertising became involved, their site isn't worth a plugged nickel. Let me ask you guys a question: If you went on-line to ask a difficult question, like, "Who sells stainless steel chimney caps in my area ( 53097 )", what search engine would you use?

Now don't get me wrong on this. It is a two way street. If you come up with our company, I'm thrilled, but if you wish to buy wholesale, shouldn't you be directed to another option?

I guess just one of my examples would be this: We buy what we feel, is the best rat/mouse bait box that you can buy. The price we pay is less than one half of the best price on-line. Now I realize that we buy in quantity and therefore everyone concerned gets a better deal. ( That's called Capitalism, and I love it ) But, no one ever seems to be directed to a site that caters to the wholesaler. ( That would be us )

So anyway, getting back to the question: What's your best research sites?

Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4401387
03/27/14 04:54 PM
03/27/14 04:54 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
, what search engine would you use?

Probably a Chevy 350 V8, that's the engine I have the most experience with. So if I went searching it would be my first choice.

Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4401395
03/27/14 04:59 PM
03/27/14 04:59 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Paul,

I'd take a different approach. I'd do a search for stainless steel chimney cap search on any of the search engines then contact the manufacture directly. Most distributors won't be offering wholesale pricing so why bother with them? If the manufacture isn't able to deal with me directly, they sure as heck should be able to give me several distributors I can contact and work deals with.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4401579
03/27/14 06:24 PM
03/27/14 06:24 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I generally use Google. I'd probably type in Hearth Supplies, Schenectady,NY looking for a store. Or if I didn't care about local, I'd probably type Chimney Cap in and then start running down the links.

Have you used all of the meta tags that you can to get the search bots to notice you?

Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4401653
03/27/14 06:55 PM
03/27/14 06:55 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Okay, chimney caps was a terrible example. I can get great caps from Copperfield including tax and shipping, cheaper than I can get really crappy caps ( Shelter, HyCs cheapo brand ) from any Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Forget the caps.

I just find it really hard to get any information on local businesses anymore. By the time I find out where in my local area I can buy something, Amazon has already delivered it to my door. ( I think my problem might be that I have no idea what meta tags and search bots are, but don't worry, I'll ask Salys )

Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4401745
03/27/14 07:32 PM
03/27/14 07:32 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have all the answers to my questions Paul so I dont need to use search engines, so I cant be of much help. grin

Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4401777
03/27/14 07:43 PM
03/27/14 07:43 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY

Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4404555
03/29/14 09:31 AM
03/29/14 09:31 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Yahoo!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,it just makes me feel happy for some reason..........

Bing make me feel like a v eight moment......

Google just sounds gay...........

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Best Research Site [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4404737
03/29/14 11:34 AM
03/29/14 11:34 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Gonna have to follow Vinke's post and say Google is the only one we ever use. I do advertise on both google and microsoft adcenter (bing), however I've tried a few times to use others through the years and always find the look and use of google to be better.

Google Scholar has a great use for wildlife related publications or research.

Shopping links more vendors use google I believe so I see more product pricing if comparing a single item to buy.

Finding local means those folks have to be optimized Paul, so if you are asking how come the local store selling X doesn't show
up when I search for a product I know they carry, it is because they haven't invested enough of their time, money and energy
marketing online, or they are being beaten out by competitors who can afford larger budgets.

(Disclaimer - I liked google before they were smart enough to pay for their own comedy and have their company put in front of
the world again and again for the length of the feature both visually and verbally! - Smart Rich Son of a Guns......)

smile

I'd rather say "google" than "BING, or YAHOO" too! Lol!

Justin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread