ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
NWCOA #4347524
03/01/14 10:33 AM
03/01/14 10:33 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
Hello All,

I was a member of the NWCOA a couple of years ago.

The first/last time I joined I sent in my application with a check. Well, latter they called/e-mailed me on two separate occasions asking for payment. The office staff did not seem to have their act together and their actions did not impress me.

What are your thoughts?

They sent me an e-mail asking me to join again. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Chuck

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4347590
03/01/14 11:02 AM
03/01/14 11:02 AM
king george va
D
danz Offline
trapper
danz  Offline
trapper
D

king george va
what did i get for my 250.00?
just to be a member,
thanks alot.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4347761
03/01/14 12:45 PM
03/01/14 12:45 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Coondog, while this discussion usually gets a whole string going often not the best type, to me the answer would be two-fold.

Firstly the management company currently working for NWCOA since a few months back is awesome and on their game. Perhaps
when you were a member before the confusion was due to the old management company.

I've said before and I'll say it again here just to start this off on a positive note, I belong to a series of professional associations and
groups that suit me and my professional desire and pursuit.

For me these include folks from the wildlife society to NWCOA, the wildlife disease society, BCI, NASBR and others. Now if I sat back
and asked what they each do for me for my money, I'd tell you straight away it is more what they do as a whole. Some are memberships
that keep me informed through newsletters or media that tells me what is happening within certain industries, legal aspects or research.

Others I know are producing quality training programs (NWCOA) that more and more state/federal agencies are embracing and even searching
for to help assure that they have some credentials in their states and regions for the folks they refer calls to for wildlife damage management
issues.

Frankly, I'm not rich, I'm not poor, but $250.00 for a year is less than double my cell phone bill to AT&T each month for my business. Or in terms
of gas in my sprinter at diesel prices now, maybe 4 tanks of gas, so on a large scale, not a big amount.

However, I get that many folks want to say, "what are they doing for me."

Anyone can sign up and get involved in issues, volunteer to go to meetings and/or take on issues that are important to them or the industry.

On top of that the visibility is getting higher each year for our industry and currently NWCOA is the national face even though the membership isn't what
you'd see in the NRA or other large national association, this is due to many constraints, one of which has been the debate like this one about what do they do for my $250.00.

I send my money to several groups that overall represent my views and my interests and I know most folks belong to a variety of groups that they send money to even if they never avail themselves of anything offered by the group. Whether its conservation groups like DU or RMEF or NWTF for hunting or others.

So I'd say, if you don't join, nothing happens, and if you do join, you have an opportunity to help make things happen and this opportunity is available to all of us in the industry.

Hope this helps or inspires some lurkers who might not have joined yet or decided to pick up a hammer and start building something for the industry as a whole.

Best to you whatever you decide,

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4348302
03/01/14 06:03 PM
03/01/14 06:03 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

The new kinder, gentler Dave says " DON'T GET ME STARTED" but like the NRA they are all we have. Support them. sick OH the pain.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4348696
03/01/14 09:39 PM
03/01/14 09:39 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
You can join starting at $50/yr. One tremendous adantage is a private website forum; there's insurance deals, members-only newsletter...not to mention that it's the only advocacy group for the WCO.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Dave Schmidt] #4351416
03/03/14 01:28 AM
03/03/14 01:28 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
You can join starting at $50/yr. One tremendous adantage is a private website forum; there's insurance deals, members-only newsletter...not to mention that it's the only advocacy group for the WCO.

well said.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4351548
03/03/14 08:23 AM
03/03/14 08:23 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
BUD25,

Has there been a change to the memberships? The $50 membership was not available to anyone that owns a wildlife control company. The only choices they had were the $125 Associate membership or the $250 Professional membership.

Jason talked with me in New Orleans about reviewing the memberships at the February board meeting, but I haven't heard anything one way or the other.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4351806
03/03/14 11:37 AM
03/03/14 11:37 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Yeah, I think the $50 membership is reserved for Phil and other ne'er do wells, pirates, and scoundrels.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4358472
03/06/14 12:14 AM
03/06/14 12:14 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Yeah, I think the $50 membership is reserved for Phil and other ne'er do wells, pirates, and scoundrels.

Which one am I, Wink?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4359593
03/06/14 02:41 PM
03/06/14 02:41 PM
Roanoke, VA
Y
YourWildlifePro Offline
trapper
YourWildlifePro  Offline
trapper
Y

Roanoke, VA
As most of you know I do not post on these sites. However the $50 membership was brought to my attention. This is an easy non-controversial topic. I think!

Below is the description of the Supporting Membership as written in the NWCOA Bylaws.

3. Supporting members shall be those that choose to join NWCOA as a supporter of NWCOA and do not provide wildlife control services for-hire, or on a commercial basis or operate a business that supplies wildlife control services on a commercial basis (Employees of Professional WCO or Associate WCO members working from the same location/office may join as Supporting Members). Supporting members shall receive the NWCOA newsletter and have access to the NWCOA message center. Supporting members shall NOT qualify for the NWCOA insurance program, listing on the National Membership Website Directory, nor have voting privileges.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4359843
03/06/14 04:42 PM
03/06/14 04:42 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Well Jason, as president of NWCOA I can't imagine anyplace else that you could go to get members as cheaply as Trapperman ADC. We are all trying our best to act like adults and stop the name-calling.

If someone believes that joining a national organization like NWCOA is not in their best interest, so be it. After having a couple of conversations with you, as well as meeting you, I believe that you can do NWCOA a world of good on here.

I've gotten verbally beaten up pretty badly myself and I bounced back enough that I'm actually considering writing another column on the same subject.

I think that I speak for a lot of people in our business when I say that I would really like to have your vision of the future in animal damage control. After all, I know that you are not in it for the money or the prestige.

P.S. For those of you that don't know, Jason has a TV commercial that most of us would kill for!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4359926
03/06/14 05:21 PM
03/06/14 05:21 PM
Roanoke, VA
Y
YourWildlifePro Offline
trapper
YourWildlifePro  Offline
trapper
Y

Roanoke, VA
Thank you for the kind words Paul.

Did you have to mention I was the NWCOA president? I bet every man and women on this forum is looking for a target on me now. Its bad enough I get sprayed in the face by a skunk every time they play my commercial.

Take care!

This is twice in one day posting on Trapperman. On A Roll!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4362811
03/07/14 07:27 PM
03/07/14 07:27 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
What is the vision for the NWCOA? How many members are there? What have they done in the past year to benifit us WCO's? I was told once that they are protecting us. From what? From who? Give me something to chew on. Fur tapping groups are Putting on fur auctions, conventions, trapper training, you get a magazine, and fight for us all for $25 a year. So Where does NWCOA come up with $250? And how does that $250 get distributed and to where? Is it because we make a whole lot more than a fur trapper? These are just questions I have before I send in $250:)Have a great week end

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4362878
03/07/14 08:16 PM
03/07/14 08:16 PM
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

Jason,
transparency which NWCOA needs to survive requires you identifying yourself. At the very least put your name in your signature and don't hide behind an alias.
THE PAIN the pain of the quieter Dave.

Last edited by DAVE SALYS-CWCP; 03/07/14 08:21 PM. Reason: I WANTED TO SAY MORE
Re: NWCOA [Re: Paul Antczak] #4363357
03/08/14 01:02 AM
03/08/14 01:02 AM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: Paul Antczak
What is the vision for the NWCOA? How many members are there? What have they done in the past year to benifit us WCO's? I was told once that they are protecting us. From what? From who? Give me something to chew on. Fur tapping groups are Putting on fur auctions, conventions, trapper training, you get a magazine, and fight for us all for $25 a year. So Where does NWCOA come up with $250? And how does that $250 get distributed and to where? Is it because we make a whole lot more than a fur trapper? These are just questions I have before I send in $250:)Have a great week end

Paul, I will answer some of your questions from my perspective. There are 27,000 fur trapping licences sold in PA to ~ 1,000 nuisance permits, 27 to 1 ratio. If the membership cost ratio was the same, it would cost $675 to join. Where the money goes is found in the associations annual financial report. But forget about money for a bit. What is the difference between how the two associations operate? NWCOA is still a fledgeling association compared to fur trapping associations. The issues are cropping up at a much faster pace for NWCO's, as states scramble to regulate. States differ widely in regulations - some are proactive and some reactive. NWCO's in states with dumb regulations have to tap dance and put out fires more than NWCO's in states that have more sensible regulations. NWCO's who figure out how to satisfy customers while making money do make more than most fur trappers. And what most associations accomplish, is the result of a few dedicated people doing the heavy lifting. They need positive feedback from the grunts in the field. Positive feedback can criticize policy without being whiney, nasty or negative, and is WELCOME and healthy to any group with the same goals.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4363948
03/08/14 12:22 PM
03/08/14 12:22 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Phil, I liked your answer. Wisconsin is known for its strong fur trapper's association. I haven't fur trapped for 26 years but I still became a lifetime member of the WTA. There is strength in numbers and I would count on our trapper's association to be the first one to fight any legislation like that D.C. garbage.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364037
03/08/14 01:11 PM
03/08/14 01:11 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Paul A.,

These are fair questions for someone considering joining a trade organization I think anyone would agree.

I've known about NWCOA long before I ever left my govt. position and decided to setup a wildlife management company.

I had several good friends encourage me to sign up even back then long before I was wanting to be part of the private industry.

Now that I am a part of private industry I want several things that I do see NWCOA doing as an organization.

1) Helping to establish trainings that govt. agencies (state, federal and other) will recognize as basic criteria to help them feel strongly
about referring business to those who have completed said training. This could be the basic operators course, the bat standards or others
currently in development, all of which I know states are beginning to adopt and are actually seeking in the face of growing pressure to
know that those who get referrals (the general public) are going to someone with at least a basic knowledge and skill set.

2) Getting involved against legislation that is brought about by those outside our industry in attempts to sidetrack or derail our ability to
work with the tools we use or methods without justifications that are proven or factual. This has been done in cases with state bills and legislation and is now being worked on in terms of the HSUS wildlife protection act in Eric's post that Jason and the board are involved in along with colleagues in NPMA.
Will they win and crush everything that comes along? Likely not, but the smaller the cadre of members is the smaller the effect politically in terms of folks seeing our industry (professional wildlife control industry) as anything but a small group of concerned businessmen, versus getting the membership to the size of groups like the NRA or that other trade associations have including NPMA (national pest management association).

The same goes for environmental groups. One guy with a couple of friends upset about some project effecting a wetland is far different from the audubon society coming down legally or the center for biological diversity. Power in numbers is proven.

3) The NWCOA newsletter is put out to keep membership apprised of events, trainings and issues and other goings on. Though folks can join for less funds as Jason indicated in the post above, the $250.00 has been a sticking point on this forum for quite some time and continues to be a point that folks want to dwell on.

Myself, I grew up fairly poor in a rural part of NYS and though I never went without food or shelter, I do care about my dollars and where they end up and why.

I would never think twice about what NWCOA is doing with my $250.00 because I see the passion and drive in the leadership and the members that I do come in contact with, on this forum, on .info and at various meetings/conferences.

Could NWCOA keep the membership level less than $100.00? Probably, but if they have more funds and more folks quicker the ability to grow our organization into something that can truly make us all proud and represent our industry will be far slower.

So I guess I'd just ask that folks decide what is most important to them?

Is it the free trade publication magazine that comes with a state trapper membership? Is it paying less and expecting still the same results or more?
Is it the trainings which are being developed and put forward and that innumerable state/federal wildlife managers are wanting to see in our industry?

To each his own ultimately, I just hope that folks can see what I can which is that NWCOA is doing everything I believe they can to move my pieces forward on the chess board, create what I need as a professional operator and ultimately help us get more visibility for our industry as a professional entity.

Best whatever you decide,

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364218
03/08/14 03:09 PM
03/08/14 03:09 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
Thanks for your in put and clearing things up. Is the NWCOA non profit? See I was a member for 6 months and never recieved a thing in the mail. I had to buy there sticker to put in my window for $25 I think. So I felt like what the heck did I join for. I got no news letter nothing. I felt like Who has my money lol. Or who just took my money and treated there wife out for dinner lol. Now on the 22nd I will be a instructor at our trapper training camp. This is 3 days of intense training. I will be teaching coyotes. This is all free. We will have about 75 students. The food is free the camping and the training. So I understand the numbers between fur and WCO. But still how can a small trapping association put on a event like this free and not even require a $25 membership to partake in it. But with the NWCOA you have to be a member at $250 to get training and pay $325 for the training. These are my concerns. Now if 100 people go to lexington and pay before september 14th the NWCOA has broght in $57,500.00 before expences. WOW I would do 2 seminars a year at that rate. This is what I see but I'm not looking at the $$$$$ reports. Please tell me Im wrong. I'm not being a jerk please dont read me wrong. Just like my customers I want something for my Money:}

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364276
03/08/14 03:45 PM
03/08/14 03:45 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Paul W,

In the recent past we have seen that fur trapping groups may not be on the same page as NWCO's. Most noticeability Nevada. Nothing wrong with that as the regulations proposed would not have affected traditional fur trapping and their core membership. However to those providing nuisance control on a commercial basis the regulations would have been damaging to say the least.

On the flip side NWCOA would oppose any regulations that took accepted tools from operators hands, body grip traps as an example, and fighting such a ban would benefit operators (our core membership) as well as traditional fur trappers. In no way am I suggesting we should not support state trapping association (heck I provide support for elk and trout and we don't have either in my area unless in grocery store wink ) But if someone provides nuisance control on a commercial basis belonging to groups that support wildlife control on a commercial basis just makes sense.

What I would like to see for our industry is unity. Achieving that is possible. I don't believe nation wide regulations for our industry are possible/needed/wanted. But some basic standards that could be agreed upon by commercial operators is a reachable goal. And please note I said standards not regulations. Standards and a basic level of competency defining our industry I just can't see as a bad thing. As a business owner I don't want anything restrictive and I was surprised by some of the negativity directed towards things we all take for granted and do everyday on the job as if some how defining and promoting somehow makes them a bad thing. I also see how some who perform nuisance control on a limited basis could see standards as a hindrance but I feel that they should also see for those of us who rely on this industry for our entire livelihood, or a part there of, that being pro-active in protecting our livelihood is paramount. For many here on Trapperman, NWCOA members and others throughout the country this is what we do, some don't have another source of income so keeping this a growing and accepted industry is a major issue.

The goal would be a confederation of independent state associations working within their respective state promoting and protecting the industry. Those state associations would affiliate with NWCOA and use it as a base to unite operators coast to coast, to communicate and share regulation and issues pertaining to our industry and to answer groups such as HSUS with both a local and national voice. Those independent state associations should have a voice and a vote to direct NWCOA on issues such as competition from Wildlife Services, DC wildlife protection act and other issues....And guess what, that is just how the by-laws are set up! These independent associations should pick their own representative and direct that rep to vote on issues. Each state rep carries one vote as each board member has one vote. Your rep should vote in accordance with the majority of members in your association and the majority of all votes direct the actions of NWCOA on such issues.

Dave,

If you look at Jason's sign up date I believe it was before the great "use your real name" debate smile here on Trapperman and Jason is not active on forums outside of NWCOA even Facebook.

All,

I have always felt direct contact is the best source. Emotion can be "read" into postings. If you have questions or concerns give a board member a call. Just remember they also are running a business and positions are not paid positions so it may take a day or two to get back to you especially in spring rush or bat season.

Last edited by Holt; 03/08/14 03:47 PM.
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364393
03/08/14 04:42 PM
03/08/14 04:42 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Paul A,

NWCOA was not in Lexington that was the WCT seminar. But the difference with both may be content of training and while both may have hands on demonstrations on coyote, such as you put on, their are also topics at both events that are more geared to increasing profit or business related that the actual act of catching wildlife. As a business owner training being certified/accredited offers me promotional value not saying it makes it better just easier for me to promote. ALL training has value and I encourage all to receive as much as possible from all sources. Attending these seminars offers much more than just the training, the networking in invaluable. I have yet to attend any seminar where the cost has not been recouped in spades due to money making/saving ideas shared by other operators. Working your NWCOA membership is key. Just joining and expecting something to happen is like buying a yellow page ad and not answering your phone. smile

Space for event, refreshment costs (outrageous) and the extra costs for every little thing all add up to increased costs. Having a meeting at a state park is doable but when looking at a location for operators all around the country can attend, easy flights and drives becomes an issue as well as space 10/20 speakers over two days, awards banquet, meet and greet and more but that is what it takes for a trade show not an informal training event. I believe Eric would agree that putting on these events is an endurance challenge and at times a logistical nightmare. Putting on trade shows is one thing a trade association should do. Now as a non-profit breaking even would be OK but generating revenue to be applied to supporting membership initiatives would be optimal.

Let me assure you becoming a volunteer board member of any non-profit is not a wise financial decision and there is no financial benefit to being a board member. I am truly humbled by the amount of time NWCOA members both on and off the board, past and present, donate for our industry.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364438
03/08/14 05:10 PM
03/08/14 05:10 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I am getting a really good feeling from the questions directed at the new NWCOA board and especially the answers! I think we may be on the verge of understanding that it is coming down to "Them Against Us"!

Here is something I think that many of you forget: To a fur trapper it looks like all these new regulations are meant to cut their throats while making all of us rich.

I realize that Charles's first couple of sentences in his post are true in many cases, ( I've probably met some of those Nevada trappers ) but I must say that Wisconsin people stick together. ( Mostly for warmth )

This subject has really got me thinking about sending in a check for a lifetime membership to the WTA for all our guys.

P.S. I realize that the NWCOA board has a lot of things to do besides replying to our moronic questions ( Which is why I tip my hat to Charles Holt ) but besides Charles, I have been most impressed by Jason Reger who I think can mend a lot of fences. And I love Vikki Rawe ( You all would ) and I have yet to hear one bad word about Mike Tucker. So there you have it; the entire NWCOA board and Salys and I can't come up with one snide remark? Amazing!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364484
03/08/14 05:36 PM
03/08/14 05:36 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Just some random photos of past EXPOs. And when speaking of space you must realize that there is a concurrent session going on (in 2012 two other sessions) at same time as presentation in photo. Hope that helps to explain cost differences between events such as the EXPO/ WCT and other more local events as well as a small sample of topics covered.

Last edited by Holt; 03/08/14 05:38 PM.
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364521
03/08/14 05:55 PM
03/08/14 05:55 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Paul W,

Let me tell you a story about Tuck. Back at WCT Indianapolis we got that snow storm which turned an hour an a half drive for me and Deb into a seven hour pain it the you know what. It was our Anniversary and right when we got into our area of the city we got a call from our daughter that power went out throughout entire area so our anniversary dinner was slim jims, Vienna sausages, caned nuts and like items we could get from the one local store that was running the old fashion way (ringing stuff up on paper and making change without computer)And believe it or not is was enjoyable and very memorable and we shared the story with friends such as Mike Tucker.

Well fast forward to last week we got a package in the mail that was an ammo can full of slim jims, nuts, smoked oysters and other treats and on outside of ammo can was printed "25th anniversary emergency kit emergency use only" from none other than Tuck. To say we were touched would be an understatement.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364554
03/08/14 06:14 PM
03/08/14 06:14 PM
Iowa
dspree Offline
trapper
dspree  Offline
trapper

Iowa
Where are these expos held? Never heard of any held in iowa.

Member Iowa Trappers Association
Minnesota trappers association
F.T.A.
D&D Nuisance Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Paul Antczak] #4364582
03/08/14 06:30 PM
03/08/14 06:30 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Paul A - I think one of the fundamental discussions and differences in the example presented about a trappers association rendezvous versus a trade association like NWCOA is the goal or hopeful outcome.

I've been to NTA, MTA (Mich. Trappers Assoc.), NMTA (here) and other trapper meetings including the purdue sponsored FTA course. I see fur trapping in line with hunting and fishing and other traditional consumptive use activities. The goal of most groups affiliated with these types of activities is to get more folks involved in a tradition that the group wishes to see carry on, for a variety of reasons.

As you are well aware and as are folks on here well aware fur trapping generally falls into several categories.

1) hobby (just like to run a little trap line each year and be outdoors with family, friends or nature)

2) business (I long line every year and make a decent portion of my annual gross income from the sale of fur)

3) Semi-serious (I trap fairly regularly during the season, put up my catch and make a few bucks while doing so that helps pay for my gas and some new traps).

Now the same tools as we know can be brought over and quite often are to the realm of nuisance wildlife management. Here again
some folks will use these tools and activities one way, while others quite another or not at all.

1) I do predator control for 95% of my nuisance wildlife activities and use all the implements and tools possible within my state regulations.

2) I use traps and snares only about 50% of the time or less, most of my tools for trapping are live traps or the like and the species I work
with are only partly comprised of furbearer where the tools and techniques can apply that I learned from fur trapping.

3) I don't use anything but cage traps and others that I can use in an urban/suburban environment and within my state regs available for my activity.

Now obviously these are oversimplified categories but the point I'll be trying to illustrate is that when I go to my trappers association meetings in the past they are teaching me techniques usually for fur season. Or they are teaching techniques meant for brand new trappers, kids, adults alike to get them to use best practices and not create problems that others may use against them.

These folks mostly that I've met are not making their living on fur trapping, or even damage management trapping (though I realize this depends on the area of the meeting).

So for me if I was to compare my state trappers association with ducks unlimited or rocky mountain elk or NWCOA, I'd find myself not seeing where the two align.

NWCOA for me is meant to help raise the awareness of our private industry nuisance wildlife trapping, whereas most trapping meetings I've been to are to keep "trapping" for fur or otherwise alive by making sure folks keep joining and learning to love trapping as a hobby or a paying deal.

It is too hard for me to see why NWCOA should cost what a trappers association membership should because simply to me they are apples and oranges.

They each serve a far different purpose and each should indeed serve their own purpose.

There are many entities that might share a fight but serve different overall principal needs. One example might be how folks who snowmobile and may lose their right to do so on public land somewhere, might partner with other ORV users, even if they are driving jeeps or SUV's because the threat is common.

However, there may be many ways they differ in overall mission and the folks who support them through funding.

To your mention of the stickers and so forth, I know this year a new management company is in place and they are on top of their game, from the day I paid my dues to my packet coming in the mail was literally a few days, I've had some correspondence with them as well and it has been very quick and attentive, they are also charged with getting the bat standards in an online class that folks can take from their computer anywhere in the world!

Great stuff is coming and I hope that folks who desire to see our industry rise to what it can be will start stacking bricks on the wall to help build a foundation we can all be proud of.

Everyone has different ideas of professionalism and what it means to them and what they need in any organization they support.

Charles' point about elk and trout is one I thought of earlier today, I've seen folks I am friends with spend oodles of money at banquets and other get togethers of RMEF and other groups and never partake in actually getting to hunt one!

I don't think it is important for us all to argue fur trapping versus commercial wildlife control industry, they are technically two different realms that do overlap, but need not compete or challenge each other for space. Many folks belong to both NWCOA and their state trappers association and find it suits them to do so, others one and not the other, to each his own from my perspective, I'd just like to see more collaboration and growth and less worry about what was and more worry about what can be.

Hope that didn't sound too touchy feely or political, and Paul A, I definitely understand your points and do not think your tone suggests anything jerky or otherwise, good discussion that ultimately has positive points and hopefully positive outcomes.

I do agree with Charles H. though, postings that don't specifically state tone can be taken any number of ways so always better to converse even via phone where tone of voice and words is better understood and accepted.

Best,

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364647
03/08/14 07:08 PM
03/08/14 07:08 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Charles, thanks for sharing the Mike T story. Reminds me of my wife. We were invited to a company night out with free refreshments, great meal, etc. for all of us foremen. The following day she sent a Thank You card to the company.

On the following week I was called into the office by the head of the personnel department. He wanted to convey a message from the company owner. We were the only employees to send a "Thank You" to the company for that evening out and he wanted us to know it.

I guess the "kicker" was that before I accepted the foreman's job I was a union steward and probably a constant pain in the company's butt.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364650
03/08/14 07:10 PM
03/08/14 07:10 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
dspree,

NWCOA events have been held in New Orleans, Atlanta, Tunica. Regional NWCOA training events have taken place in Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, New York, Canada and maybe some locations I have forgotten. They can be done in any area with attendance guarantees or in conjunction with state associations such as the event Jason just attended in Colorado. The WILDLIFE EXPO is a yearly event who's planning is currently underway but as it is held in January or February possible weather conditions could keep it away from Iowa but you never know. smile But if you want an event there and could get interest from operators NWCOA would be pleased to put on a training event that is wanted.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364710
03/08/14 07:54 PM
03/08/14 07:54 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Paul W,

Your fur trappers thinking regulations are cutting their throat statement hits home and I couldn't agree more. There should be a separation in commercial nuisance regulation and fur trapping. The guy or gal helping out a farmer/other to gain trapping rights for the season should not be held to the same standards or regulations as an operator providing a service for commercial gain. As a matter of fact I think that person who wants trapping rights should be able to remove wildlife under a depredation permit and not need a commercial license unless receiving payment. Another example would be a commercial operator not being able to operate in another state based on whether or not fur trapping is allowed in both states. Comingling of the two has made for some challenges.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4364852
03/08/14 09:01 PM
03/08/14 09:01 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
Wow again thanks so much your all's in put. Thanks for taking the time explain. I have been involed with our state fur trapping assc. for about 15 years on different levals. Now with business being very good Im only able to serve when I can like the training camp. And I do a small talk on ADC the friday night before to raise awareness to new trappers of the oppertunity in wildlife control. So thank you again and I think I was sold on becomming a member:)
Good post! I havent been on TMan much My predator work in Alabama kept me moving and shaking lol

Last edited by Paul Antczak; 03/08/14 09:02 PM.
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4365150
03/08/14 11:02 PM
03/08/14 11:02 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Good points, all!
Jason, actually Wink identified himself as NWCOA president: "...as president of NWCOA I can't..."!
I stand corrected on the $50 membership issue; it obviously won't apply for WCO's such as us.
As you are the president of NWCOA, you should proudly identify yourself as such in all matters involving NWCOA. We appreciate your comments.
Charles, good info. Wonderful pix, even the one with me in it.
Mr. Antczak, there's no free lunch. Wildlife Expo's are tremendous trade events and worth every cent invested in attending them.
As Justin says, fur trapping is not WC; there is overlap between the two, but each has distinct facets and NWCOA is clearly a fine organization supporting and promoting the latter.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4365151
03/08/14 11:03 PM
03/08/14 11:03 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Good points, all!
Jason, actually Wink identified himself as NWCOA president: "...as president of NWCOA I can't..."!
I stand corrected on the $50 membership issue; it obviously won't apply for WCO's such as us.
As you are the president of NWCOA, you should proudly identify yourself as such in all matters involving NWCOA. We appreciate your comments.
Charles, good info. Wonderful pix, even the one with me in it.
Mr. Antczak, there's no free lunch. Wildlife Expo's are tremendous trade events and worth every cent invested in attending them.
As Justin says, fur trapping is not WC; there is overlap between the two, but each has distinct facets and NWCOA is clearly a fine organization supporting and promoting the latter.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4365582
03/09/14 08:43 AM
03/09/14 08:43 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Paul,

As Charles Holt stated, do not confuse the NWCOA training events (Expo, BWOTC, Bat Standards, etc.) with the WCT events (WCT Magazine, WCT Seminar, WCT Bat Management Workshop, WCT Wildlife Exclusion Workshop) or training DVDs (WCT Running A Wildlife Control Business, WCT Working with Slate and more in production).

WCT Group, is the Wildlife Control Training Group and is the owner of Wildlife Control Technology (WCT) Magazine.

NWCOA is a 501c(6) organization. A major difference between a 501c(6) and a 501c(3) is that memberships/donations to the 501c(6) are not tax deductible, they are expenses whereas donations to a 501c(3) are tax deductible.

Eric Arnold
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4365654
03/09/14 09:19 AM
03/09/14 09:19 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Training shouldn't be just about the topic or course, it should be about how you do or do not implement that information into your business or personal life.

Case in point, at the Wildlife Expo I spoke with several individuals that did not attend my Bat Species Identification presentation because they "already knew everything I was going to cover." Once they realized that the presentation was more about changing regulations, why being able to show bat identification skills will be important, and how to develop those skills I got the feeling they wished they would have attended it.

Everyone is going to take something different out of a training session, even if it is how not to do something. I can be in a fur trapping presentation and get more out of it with ideas for my wildlife control company than I can with a wildlife control presentation and visa versa. Personally, each presentation is valued and weighted on what I feel is important and how it interacts with my current business plan and goals.

There are several individuals attending the WCT Wildlife Exclusion workshop at the end of March from presentations I did last year that didn't even discuss exclusion principals or techniques. It was their interest in those non related classes that helped them decide to attend this event.

Eric Arnold
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4365720
03/09/14 09:58 AM
03/09/14 09:58 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
As Charles stated, putting together events is not a simple process.

There are several main differences between a trapping event held at a state park or fair ground and a training event held at an indoor facility.

First, is that trapping events generally do not include lunch, coffee, morning pastries, beverages or snacks. All food and beverage at a training facility must be purchased through that facilities caterer. So you generally have options like ala cart where coffee is $30-$55 per gallon and pastries that are $3 each or guaranteeing a certain number of attendees and doing a program that includes things like coffee and pastries for $20-$35 per person per day. Then add lunch to the mix and you have another $35-$60 per person with X number of guaranteed attendees and suddenly a 2 day event is $$120 per person just for food (and don't forget the 8% sales tax and mandatory 22% gratuity).

Next, add in the additional items needed such as microphones, projector rental, podium, projector screen, tables, and chairs and you have another $1,500 on top of the room rental fees (again with the 8% sales tax and 22% gratuity).

Then you have handouts materials and speaker compensation. If you need to have 100 black & white 50 page handouts made at .10 cents a page that's another $500 just for the copies. Add more for putting them together. And if you're doing travel and/or room expenses keep adding to it. Then, if you're doing a hands-on class or event you need to include the hands-on materials and finally don't forget marketing expenses.

Now let's look at the trapping convention side. First, the space may be free which right there cuts the cost per person down considerably. If the space needs rented, that is generally the only expense the organization has besides possibly a microphone and marketing. There is no speaker compensation (well maybe free admittance), no free coffee, pastries, or snacks. No table, chair, projector, or screen rentals. Covering expenses is easier as you'll have more attendees so you can charge a lower admission rate, more vendors (including tailgaters) paying to participate, percentage of food sales (at times), and camping fees.

In a nutshell, this is why a commercial training event is usually much more to attend than a trapping event.

Eric Arnold
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4365743
03/09/14 10:09 AM
03/09/14 10:09 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
i will rejoin nwcoa at a later date but yes that $250 fee is a deal breaker right now as i am part time status...i have WCO insurance from a company in Illinois that covers it at $252 a year with 1,000,000 in coverage. i was a member for several years...i understand the need to join..once full time i will get back involved...

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4365928
03/09/14 11:48 AM
03/09/14 11:48 AM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
Ok ok I will join lol you all sold me lol.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Paul Antczak] #4372872
03/12/14 03:52 PM
03/12/14 03:52 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Saltwater fisheries is going through similar regulatory conflicts, recreational fishermen versus commercial fishermen. Except in the fisheries case, it was comm regs trumping rec regs. The regulators are finally considering the "common sense" approach, that comm and rec are not the same and have different needs, outcomes and futures. Past regulations made enemies between comms and recs in many cases. Just as fur trappers and NWCO's can seem to be at odds due to bad regs. Information is the key to living peacefully with the welfare of the resource always in mind, with a healthy association the best way to educate and inform.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4373136
03/12/14 05:59 PM
03/12/14 05:59 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
I was a member for a couple years but $250 a year membership is to much for me.I know yall put on seminars and training but the member also has to pay to attend.Id gladly join again if the fee was dropped to a reasonable amount.

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4373775
03/12/14 09:55 PM
03/12/14 09:55 PM
NV, USA
N
NV man Offline
trapper
NV man  Offline
trapper
N

NV, USA
Well, how about reducing the fees, doing an auction, selling some raffle tickets, good food and lots of beer? This method seems to work well for many wildlife related non profits in the west? Just my input to perhaps make a bigger group, and increase working funds. You then could start charging $250 just for seats at a table.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4373877
03/12/14 10:29 PM
03/12/14 10:29 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Trapster, The aspect of the trainings being paid for is something in every professional association I've ever belonged to. Local meetings and chapter meetings or national always have workshops and other trainings available and they always cost to attend. I think that when you are running a business folks have to remember that first the training is only as good as the trainers and secondly that if all training was free then anyone including those who don't run a professional business could just attend and be out there selling the same service as you or I as professional businessmen and women.

I realize the focus seems to hover around this $250.00 membership, if you aren't concerned about voting, you can get an associate membership for 50% off at $125.00 that still gets you involved, tied in and many of the perks of being a member.

I don't have a problem with anyone saying, "hey, I just can't afford it at this time" however I think to keep rehashing the cost of the membership as a roadblock to moving the association forward professionally has been hammered pretty well flat at this point.

Some folks will join, some won't, ultimately most folks on this forum who call themselves wildlife control operators rarely leave the vehicle for less than $500.00 per job and sometimes that is just to set gear, let alone the ultimate cost of a contract.

I should state that though I've been a member since I started my private company in 2011, I am not a board member and I'm only speaking my opinion as I see our industry and where it should be going.

As I've said before, I don't take money lightly, but investing in my national association to move this ball forward is the least I can do to help create something that ultimately I can be proud of and that will help us as an industry when issues arise that may serve to put us out of business or limit our rights and abilities.

This takes money and funding and membership, so please consider joining when you are able.

Sincerely,

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375234
03/13/14 05:51 PM
03/13/14 05:51 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
HD I can remember when you started your company and talking to Robb and glad your still around.I dont mind paying for training thats a given but the other amount just to be a member in my mind {even at 125.00} is out of line and I think you should recheck your dollar amount just to show up cause around here youd be unemployed.I dont mean any hard feelings but things arent the same all over the country and I know that fact from experience in a national franchise that Im glad that I got away from.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375292
03/13/14 06:18 PM
03/13/14 06:18 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Trapster, I do honestly get out of the vehicle for less, however they aren't the norm. I realize things aren't the same in every market which is why pricing checks on here often go on deaf ears as the debate on them is old and always shows what one guy charges the next might not get in their area due to either economics of their area, selling themselves short on the skill, service they are offering, or other factors.

I mostly think that the debate focusing solely on the cost of membership is plagued with problems. Too many variables to find a sweet spot that somehow will not only help the association grow and meet its goals for members but also make sure every single person out there who hangs out a shingle and calls themselves wildlife control operators will find it in their interest to send a check.

We can't expect that the membership will suit a guy who maybe runs a few traps part time just getting his feet wet, or maybe the guy in a very rural town who just runs a few coyote traps for local ranchers for opportunities to get on land during fur season.

What I do know is I've yet to meet anyone who is doing this work full time who is unable to pay the price for one of the two memberships and still pay their other bills and grow their company.

Thats not to say a guy might not see that money better spent in his mind on a new tool for the rig, or a new firearm, or a home repair or office equipment, let alone food, medical, kids,, etc...

Just saying that NWCOA shouldn't be distilled down to how much the membership is and not what the merit in membership is.

I do appreciate your candor and honesty though in your post and trust me I do understand not everywhere can you charge the same rate.

I've done work for folks who couldn't possibly afford a true professional due to being in a very real and bad financial way, I have no problem with that, however if I'm not making what the HVAC and Mechanic and Plumber are making at least, then in my area or anyones I'd say a quick gut check on the reality of the business surviving is in order.

We perform a professional service and as such should be charging professional prices.

I have insurance, experience, equipment, time, labor, marketing, and all kinds of funds tied to my business, you bet I need to be sure I'm bringing in enough per call to not only keep my business but grow it.

On the national franchise end, the last time I heard from a client who told me without me asking, the local yellow trucks were asking for at least $125.00 to show up and then everything they did after that was ala carte and added to the bill, I network with a bunch of pest controllers here too and though their model is different, they are charging from the word go!

I was a member of the NTA for years, just because we trapped, not because I was in a state with its laws being challenged or the activity being possibly banned or other political reasons. I got my magazine and read a few articles, otherwise my membership technically didn't benefit me, yet I paid every year.

Now paying into a trade association is a direct benefit to me, while it might not be for my neighbor in business, that is their business or yours to decide, but ultimately I do hope we can start discussing NWCOA as a trade association and not simply as a debate of how much it costs to sign up.

We could do lots more good with deeper discussions and ideas for how to improve the image of our industry and association as a whole rather than just simply why not $50.00 instead of $250.00.

Just my .02, again, I don't fault you or anyone else for thinking they aren't going to pay that rate, just asking can't we all move to a higher deeper discussion than just the cost of membership.

Best,

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375315
03/13/14 06:29 PM
03/13/14 06:29 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Justin - well said! Imagine if the public understood that this industry was professional and that it is not some free service! Your investment in the NWCOA membership would pay off in spades. We would get more guys working...

Dave

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375327
03/13/14 06:33 PM
03/13/14 06:33 PM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
What's the direct phone line to NWCOA. I joined last year and paid 250.00 so I could get insurance through Jim Pace. I never even received a membership card from NWCOA. That was last Summer....

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375330
03/13/14 06:34 PM
03/13/14 06:34 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
panaxman, Here is the link phone number is in upper right hand corner.

http://www.nwcoa.com/

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375539
03/13/14 07:52 PM
03/13/14 07:52 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I don't remember getting a card....but I can't think of a reason to have one. I have enough cards in my wallet. Jim Pace is the man....

Dave

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375617
03/13/14 08:16 PM
03/13/14 08:16 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
as I sit here reading 3 pages, reading what folks are saying. some of these folks I sat right next to in the very first Nwcoa meeting, and in many meetings to follow. and have great respect for them. others I have respect for them even though I have never met them or talked to them, and they have no idea who Ron Jones is nor should they, but they stand behind their posts and statements, and seem to be up right standing men and women. Over the years I have backed off being vocal about NWCOA, positive or negative, I just sat back and watched and listened. I will also at this time refrain from voicing. But I must admit I would like to sit and talk to Jason the new President, man to man over coffee, to see just where he has visions, and where they will go. I am going to go on a rabbit trail that leads no where here, leadership leads by serving, the more they serve the folks, the more those folks are willing to let them lead. A very hard lesson I have had to learn. When a association stops serving then the visions die. when the visions die so does the association. equally as important is the leadership must convince not force the membership of these visions, for if the membership does not grasp those visions then those vision will also die.

Last edited by Jonesie; 03/13/14 08:19 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375628
03/13/14 08:20 PM
03/13/14 08:20 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Who is Ron Jones? Wasn't that the same Ron that ran for US President? LOL. We met in Ohio....2 years ago.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375771
03/13/14 09:05 PM
03/13/14 09:05 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Na that was my twin brother he goes by Ron also LOL he's better looking too. Back to NWCOA LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378013
03/14/14 08:57 PM
03/14/14 08:57 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Well I just erased my true feelings on this matter so go ahead and keep hollering for more members and dont offer them nothing but a card and maybe just maybe a sticker to put on their truck.If you all want to be the voice of the ADC folks then why not make it affordable to all??

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378083
03/14/14 09:08 PM
03/14/14 09:08 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
So just what do you consider affordable and what type of gift/membership perk would you like?

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378110
03/14/14 09:18 PM
03/14/14 09:18 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Let's just let the Mafia take over they way they do the refuse business'
That'll wake 'em up !

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378561
03/15/14 01:25 AM
03/15/14 01:25 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Trapster, I certainly hope you didn't think I was asking or hoping for you to redact your posts, I certainly wasn't. You are honestly voicing your opinion and I thought we were ultimately debating the issues in open forum.

I also want to take a minute to point out these posts are never started by NWCOA board members asking for more membership. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but they are started by folks who usually ask an innocent enough question.

"Should I join NWCOA" or "What do I get as a member" or something of the sort. Inevitably this discussion is nearly always headed toward the cost of membership. I'm not saying that is wrong, it is only my opinion that the focus should be on other things, but that doesn't mean I can say anyone arguing the cost is inherently wrong.

So I hope that by stating this you and anyone reading understands I'm just hoping we can have a conversation about what will get folks to join and I'm hoping that isn't simply lowering the cost.

Maybe a poll of some sort among our peers would help?

I think Charles has opened the floor to anyone who wants to voice what they would see as reasonable for membership and also what perks or benefits of membership folks would like to see.

I hope anyone interested that hasn't joined will voice answers to these questions or contact Charles directly via pm if they'd prefer.

My final thought is that it is rare to find any thread be harmonious with no debate or discussion, no matter the topic, however I don't feel that general debate should cause folks to think they need to remove their statements or opinions. This is an open forum for all whether we all agree or disagree as it often happens...

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378608
03/15/14 03:46 AM
03/15/14 03:46 AM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Lt,

Think I could handle the mafia over the crazy cat lovers. At least they would want me to make money to pay my nut. smile

Justin

I also think the networking opportunities are over looked as a membership perk. Paul W. I am going to use you as one of my examples (as you have spoken on it) hope you don't mind.

Paul had an injury in his company and as we had a similar injury in our company I was aware of a benefit in the NWCOA insurance program and made Paul aware of it. Not sure of the savings but me getting in touch with him probably saved enough to cover a couple years membership dues.

A member from Illinois gave me an advertising tip that costs me nothing that generates at least 20 scheduled calls a year. Just the service call/inspection fee (no removal or repair costs included) would pay my NWCOA dues for years.

There are many more examples, even here on this forum with the thread on market research. Many of those topics I have discussed with other members. They know who I am, I know who they are, we are aware of each others market area and they/I are willing to share money making tips and tricks that we may not want to share publicly.

It takes effort on my part but I still see it as a huge membership benefit.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378754
03/15/14 08:48 AM
03/15/14 08:48 AM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Charles - could you pm me the tip? Never know...maybe I missed it. I am a member!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4379370
03/15/14 03:26 PM
03/15/14 03:26 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
You tell 'em, Charles. Christian/Baker paid a $3000 balance on a series of rabies shots for my son P.J. when he got bit by a pit bull. The dog was subsequently shot by our first rate police department but unfortunately the body was'nt found in time. YOU DON"T TAKE CHANCES WITH RABIES!

P.S. I take some of the blame for raising a son that tastes like a Purina dog biscuit.

Re: NWCOA [Re: DaveK] #4380461
03/15/14 10:54 PM
03/15/14 10:54 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: DaveK
Charles - could you pm me the tip? Never know...maybe I missed it. I am a member!

Me too?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Jonesie] #4381082
03/16/14 10:53 AM
03/16/14 10:53 AM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
Well said Ron!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4385783
03/18/14 06:12 PM
03/18/14 06:12 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Im up for the tip as well.I was asked what I thought would be a reasonable amount for dues so here it is $75.00 a year with full membership would or should be more than enough,as far as perks I could care less the insurance sounds OK but I now have more coverage at a lesser premium than my discounted price from NWCOA or Jim Pace or Christian Baker however you want to look at it.
Im all for a national association but I really believe NWCOA has priced theirselves out of that.
If no one is paid where does all of the money go?? I know you put on seminars and training and such but it all still costs members money to attend {i.e. cost of course cost of room cost of meals cost of travel}I know renting a conference room or furnishing a meal isnt cheap but the prices of your training and membership isnt either and Ill stand my ground on the fact that 250 a year is WAY WAY too much.
I havent been on in awhile and I am not the only one to of asked for the tip either and I do not see a reply. whistle

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4385814
03/18/14 06:43 PM
03/18/14 06:43 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Well I am glad to see that we are only $50 apart in what you think it should cost and what it does cost at one membership level. As far as Jim Pace and Christian Baker I feel it would be a deal at twice the price.

The tip was shared with members who asked via PM.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4385826
03/18/14 06:48 PM
03/18/14 06:48 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Well not really at the lower cost a member cant vote Im talking full blown membership at 75 as compared to 250.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4385939
03/18/14 07:45 PM
03/18/14 07:45 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Holy Cow! I just realized that $250 will buy 22 cheese pizzas at Jets Pizza.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4385957
03/18/14 07:56 PM
03/18/14 07:56 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
Holy Cow! I just realized that $250 will buy 22 cheese pizzas at Jets Pizza.

Good deal!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4386125
03/18/14 09:22 PM
03/18/14 09:22 PM
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

I hate myself for posting on this subject again but here's some food for thought.
I KNEW BETTER THAN TO POST ON THIS SUBJECT.

Last edited by DAVE SALYS-CWCP; 03/19/14 09:11 AM. Reason: the mighty K has spoken
Re: NWCOA [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #4386205
03/18/14 09:45 PM
03/18/14 09:45 PM
Iowa
dspree Offline
trapper
dspree  Offline
trapper

Iowa
Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP
I hate myself for posting on this subject again but here's some food for thought. The NRA used to sell life memberships for $1000 some time later they dropped it to $500. They still weren't selling enough life memberships so they sent out an offer for life membership for only $300. I bought three for family members since I'm already a Patron member. What the NRA has figured out is there is power in numbers, membership numbers. Yes the NRA loves the almighty dollar but they needed and wanted more members.

Just goes to show that the NRA was charging way too much to begin with.

Member Iowa Trappers Association
Minnesota trappers association
F.T.A.
D&D Nuisance Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4386226
03/18/14 09:53 PM
03/18/14 09:53 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I am not sure why everyone is so worried about dollars. The Gov is printing over $500 million a day. Go pick some up! WHOOT

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0774850.html

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4411315
04/01/14 11:25 PM
04/01/14 11:25 PM
NV, USA
N
NV man Offline
trapper
NV man  Offline
trapper
N

NV, USA
Well $250 might be to big an elephant for some people (including myself) to go somewhere else to have someone else show me how they catch a raccoon... On that note; why not lower the membership, get more members and create more working money for the group. If prices were lower, I might also end up giving $250 over time, as it is now I won't give any. Take my money or don't, the choice is not only mine.

"Our nation's health is dependent on local industry and commerce."
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4413066
04/02/14 10:16 PM
04/02/14 10:16 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
The price is the price, no negotiations.

www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4413356
04/03/14 12:24 AM
04/03/14 12:24 AM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline
trapper

Tama country IA
Tried to RE - Join 2-3 years ago. I couldn't get it done on the website I called and left emails it took them 4 months to return my phone call and never got a response back on my email. Out of curiosity I just now checked the website its down again. With the kind of money they are charging you would think they would have a competent office staff that could stay up on the website and emails. I am starting to think they got the same web company that Obama did for his socialist heath care site. $250 isn't that much money if you’re going to get something for it but when I guy can’t even get on the website where the forums and "find a trapper" areas are I find it hard to hand over the money.

Adam Utterback
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4413403
04/03/14 02:09 AM
04/03/14 02:09 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Website is fine.

www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4413658
04/03/14 09:29 AM
04/03/14 09:29 AM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline
trapper

Tama country IA
Is this an old site ?? http://nwcoa.com/

Its what Google brings up as the current site and on my end still not working .

Adam Utterback
Re: NWCOA [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4413707
04/03/14 09:55 AM
04/03/14 09:55 AM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
http://nwcoa.com/ Slide the cursor over the map to select operators in each of the three NWCOA Regions
http://www.nwcoa.info./ Contains the FORUM. You must be a registered member to read it.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4413766
04/03/14 10:27 AM
04/03/14 10:27 AM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
NV man, I have to agree $250 to learn to catch a coon would be a little steep. That is not what NWCOA is about, sure it has a basic operators training course (BOTC)where catching a coon may be discussed but that is not a primary NWCOA mission. The thing about NWCOA is if you don't like it you can join and vote to change what ever you would like, you can run for office on a platform of a $25 membership and if enough members agree with your platform you could be elected and follow direction of membership to what ever outcome they want. But you got to pay to play a non-member complaining about membership cost or any other issue pertaining to NWCOA is a nonissue for me as I have paying members contacting me wanting things like a full time lobbyist representing us on issues, going before state regulators promoting wildlife control as an industry and much more.

Adam, I checked web site also...all regions showing members and other portals working. As far as past management company it turned out to be a bad fit. New management company was hired and they are outstanding. Sorry for your bad experience with past management company.

What does a trade association do... here is a link. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-trade-association.htm

Also joining NWCOA or any other group and just expecting results to me is like buying a yellow page ad and letting calls go to voice mail. We see posts here and on other sites asking how to separate yourself from other operators to potential customers, membership in NWCOA and/or certified training from NWCOA to being a CWCP all offer that. Some totally random numbers for effect - 50% of your calls looking for cheapest, membership wont matter. 25% want a professional but cost is still an issue, membership and training may help land this type. The other 25% who are "picky" membership and certified training they will see as a sign of professionalism and membership and your ability to provide proof of training will separate you from the crowd. Those 25% are your core customers, they see value in what you do and are willing to pay with no griping about cost, want repairs to prevent future entry. $125 or $250 to land that type of customer is a no brainer as just one of that type of customer should cover your membership cost for the year and any others choosing you due to membership/training throughout the year are just the gravy.

My $250 a year is by far the lowest advertising cost I incur throughout the year. Do we expect a customer to know what NWCOA is...NOPE. But we sure tell them starting at initial phone contact. We give them reasons to choose us and NWCOA membership/certified training/standards are part of that. We hear all the time "your not the cheapest but we decided to go with you" or with the "picky" customers "when can you come out". The NWCOA blogging platform on .info results in jobs from the area I target in blog. Some blogs have had over 20,000 hits from real people and I have no idea of how many web crawlers have picked up web address and other links due to these blogs. But the common thread is we work our membership. I am not paying any amount on anything pertaining to business and just sitting back and waiting for results.

NWCOA membership is not for everyone. If you are doing less than 40 thousand a year in total sales there could be better things to spend you money on but I have been privileged to work with those who were doing 30 or 40 and next thing you know they are pulling in 100 or 150 thousand (or more) a year due to training or looking at the industry from a different light. Did NWCOA do that for them...no they did it on their own but their membership allowed them access to those who believe that there is no set limit to what one can make in this industry, add on sales techniques/products that insure a revenue stream, tips and tricks to make or save money and a lot more.

Membership in NWCOA is a business decision plain and simple. Just because you provide wildlife control does not mean you should just get to be a member or that NWCOA should do "something" for you. That would be welfare. If you see wildlife control as an extension of fur trapping or a consumptive use issue NWCOA is probably not for you. If wildlife control provides your sole source of income (or you hope it does one day), wildlife control provides a substantial bump to your income (and hope it provides more)you see offering solutions to stop wildlife entry issues/damage as your core business, want to protect wildlife control as an industry, are building something for your family to carry on after you are gone and/or believe wildlife control is a real job/industry, believe that like any other industry wildlife control must continue to evolve and move forward to stay relevant or just want to make more money NWCOA membership is for you.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4415101
04/03/14 11:23 PM
04/03/14 11:23 PM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline
trapper

Tama country IA
I realize you have to be a member to use the forum I was a member a number of years ago.
It may be on my side but I still can not get the website to come up. ---- confused

Adam Utterback
Re: NWCOA [Re: Holt] #4415168
04/04/14 12:27 AM
04/04/14 12:27 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: Holt
I have been privileged to work with those who were doing 30 or 40 and next thing you know they are pulling in 100 or 150 thousand (or more) a year due to training or looking at the industry from a different light. Did NWCOA do that for them...no they did it on their own but their membership allowed them access to those who believe that there is no set limit to what one can make in this industry, add on sales techniques/products that insure a revenue stream, tips and tricks to make or save money and a lot more.

This is an important point! I started back in 1990, immediately after Illinois started their commercial wildlife control program through IDNR. I worked full-time as a motorcycle/ATV technician since the late 70's, and my wildlife control business was simply a part-time venture that allowed me to make "a little" extra money.

I had no clue what a real wildlife control business was. I had been a fur trapper since grade school, and looked at it more from an ADC view instead of a serious business. After plugging along for 10 years, I joined NWCOA. I had no idea why, except it just sounded like the right thing to do.

This was during the period the members only message board was extremely ACTIVE. It was an eye-opening experience for me. Once I seen how many guys were doing this full-time, and understood HOW and WHY they were able to, I changed my entire mindset and turned it into a real business. I was able to quit my job (which I loved, BTW) and have been full-time at this for about a decade now.

Before becoming involved in the message board and "hanging out" with many successful WCO's, there is NO WAY I could have ever imagined a person could make a living doing wildlife control. I was stuck in fur trapper mode of charging ONLY per animal. Didn't dream of actually "solving" a problem, just trapping critters. It's two completely different worlds, unless you are into predator control or providing services for strictly non-urban areas.

I've been to several conferences and training events, and still pick up new ideas every time. I compare this "membership" thing somewhat to the motorcycle world. There are excellent riding schools that ANYONE can learn helpful riding tips, regardless of how long they have been riding. But only a few seasoned riders attend. Many have the attitude they know everything they need to know, and no one is going to teach them anything. They are the self-proclaimed "experienced" guys with closed minds. The kind that think a front brake is "dangerous".

I'm not a commissioned sales person for NWCOA..... but IMO if your future could be owning your own WCO business, the membership level at 125 bucks just might make it happen. You must turn off the firewall in your brain and view this in the proper light. Trust me, it was difficult for me to "delete" the info I had stored in my head for years regarding the relationship between trapping animals for money. It's NOT what the majority of WCO's do.

If you're one of the guys who will NEVER use your front brake (fearing it might work), don't join. Otherwise.... if you're ready to be a part of a trade group that is completely focused on the industry survival through sensible standards and ethics, jump in. If you're "worried" about what someone else thinks about your decision.... you aren't ready yet.

Ron Scheller

Re: NWCOA [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4415443
04/04/14 09:04 AM
04/04/14 09:04 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Originally Posted By: 1st RiverRat
I realize you have to be a member to use the forum I was a member a number of years ago.
It may be on my side but I still can not get the website to come up. ---- confused

Had the same problem when I was a member. That was about the time when they raised the rates. That was when I left.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4415649
04/04/14 11:22 AM
04/04/14 11:22 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I just checked out of curiosity, everything was functional. Is it possible your computer is taking you to a cached older copy of the site? I know this can be an issue, when we've launched new websites ourselves for our company you don't see the new one till you take the old file out by emptying the cache...

Just a thought.....

(just sent in my NWCOA renewal yesterday for the year)

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4416348
04/04/14 06:40 PM
04/04/14 06:40 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
What Ron & Charles said x2 (and if Ron isn't a commissioned salesman for NWCOA, he oughta at least be on the payroll!!)
T'other day I did a bid for a dentist who told me he chose me bacause I had professional certification from a national organization! Pretty cool, eh?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4416898
04/05/14 12:49 AM
04/05/14 12:49 AM
NV, USA
N
NV man Offline
trapper
NV man  Offline
trapper
N

NV, USA
Folks,

Maybe I'm missing something. I've just checked out the NWCOA website and I can not find any successes of the NWCOA. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What are some of the success stories accomplished by NWCOA? Does the non-profit group maintain a record of this to show potential future members?

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4416916
04/05/14 01:34 AM
04/05/14 01:34 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
NV Man,

What type of things are you wanting to see? Legal battles they have engaged in on behalf of membership?

Other?

The website being public, I personally would rather they weren't talking about those types of things for the general public to see.
Most industry issues are something the general public wouldn't understand in my opinion as they relate to defending techniques,
tools, etc... against policy changes that would hinder our ability to do the work we do.

However, as a prospective member perhaps the best thing you could do is contact NWCOA at the phone number directly and have
a conversation to get the answers you desire.

Many questions are asked here that ultimately can be answered quickly via the NWCOA contact options (email, phone). The management
team is excellent and very responsive.

Just a thought....

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4417360
04/05/14 10:56 AM
04/05/14 10:56 AM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio

This is off the web site. (Copied strangely tried to clean up)Names and contacts x-ed out

NWCOA only has a few members in Nevada, and only one in the affected area, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx based in Reno. xxxxx became aware of a petition being sent to the Nevada Wildlife Commission that would have effectively banned every kind of trap except box/cage traps for all non-domestic animals in a couple of days. The ban would have covered the corporate limits of Reno, Sparks, and approximately 130 square mile of surrounding developed areas and suburbia stretching to the northern shore of Lake Tahoe. Washoe currently has a firearms, no discharge zone established in the county, and this petition would have made it illegal to trap in the same areas.

This issue arose due to a pet being caught in an illegally set trap during the 09-10 fur trapping season on the outskirts of town. (See news articles on NWCOA.info)
With extremely short notice, NWCOA acted quickly and responded with a letter and phone calls to the NWC Commissioners who would hear the petition prior to their meeting on Friday, 12.3.2010. NPMA also mobilized its pest control members in the area to oppose the measure. After hearing opposition from NWCOA, NPMA, local businesses, US- DA-WS, and the State Ag Dept., the petition was killed for the time being. The sponsor of the petition, www.Trailsaife.org, will undoubtably bring up the issue again, but this time, all affected stakeholders will be heard.

One very troubling aspect of this petition was the endorsement by the Nevada Trappers Association. In short, the NTA made no allowance for WCO's or ADC trapping in the affected areas. Supposedly, one "animal control company" was contacted for comment in developing the petition, but we have yet to deter- mine who that may have been. All of the suburban and urban areas were sacrificed in an effort to compromise with the anti-trapping group in hopes that the anti-trappers would leave them alone to trap in other areas. This is a prime example of why our industry needs NWCOA and why the industry cannot rely on recreational or professional fur trappers to represent our issues
and protect our livelihoods.

The following is the letter NW- COA sent dated December 1, 2010.

NWCOA Letter to County Commissioners

Dear Chairman Raine,
I'm writing on behalf of the National Wildlife Control Operators Association (NWCOA) and our Nevada membership in regards to proposed rulemaking for Washoe County that would ban the use of all traps except box or cage traps within 1,000 yards of occupied structures in the Washoe County Congested Gun Area. NWCOA is the largest national trade group representing private wildlife control service providers.

Our Nevada State Representative has made us aware of the proposed changes to the Nevada Code, and the potential loss of widely accepted tools and management options. Further, we are quite dismayed that the business stakeholders who offer wildlife control services in the affected area were not included in the negotiations considering those same businesses stand to be severely impacted by the proposed regulation change. We would encourage the Commission to table this proposal until such time that all affected stakeholders could be heard and have their input considered.

Private wildlife control service providers primarily remove depredating wildlife from residential and commercial properties in urbanized areas, however, those services also extend to more rural areas and agricultural operations. In the urban setting, wildlife control services commonly include trap and removal of wildlife from houses and businesses, control of vertebrate pests, and animal proofing of structures. Our industry has developed many, highly specialized, species-specific traps and techniques that would be prohibited if the current proposal is adopted. Our Association encourages and trains our membership to utilize integrated wildlife dam-
age management practices when addressing human-wildlife conflicts, and if tools and techniques are eliminated, integrated management will also be eliminated. Service providers will be limited in options to solve problems, and as a result, the public will incur higher costs. As an example, any service provider attempting to solve a depredating coyote or fox issue in the congested area will be forced to utilize box or cage traps, scientifically proven to be the least effective capture method for those species. The consumer will bear the burden of long and ineffective trapping sessions, and may never solve the problem. Even if the service provider effected a positive outcome, the additional costs associated with the added time and labor involved would not be cost effective. In the end, the consumer has no legitimate solution to the problem.
The current language is too broad, too vague and will bring many unintended consequences if adopted as proposed. (From the petition) NAC 504.340 Ar- eas closed to hunting and trapping (11) Except as provided in NRS 503.470 and NAC 503.710 to 503.760 inclusive, trapping except for "box or cage trapping" is prohibited in Washoe County within 1000 yards of an occupied dwelling that is within the area designated and published as a firearm congested area by the Washoe County Commission.
For the purpose of this Section, "box or cage trap" is defined as a trap that is not designed to close on any portion of the animal's body.
As written, this language would eliminate virtually all means of non-chemical control for ground dwelling rodents, including ground squirrels, pocket gophers, commensal rodents etc. as those animals are normally controlled with a lethal, body gripping traps and/or pesticides. Moles, while not a rodent, are also commonly controlled by utilizing a spear or body gripping traps that would be prohibited under the proposed language.

While we respect the motivation of the petitioners to eliminate non-target catches by other resource users, we fear that the proposed language would adversely affect
the operations of wildlife control service providers and severely hinder ones ability to operate a business. In addition, we feel that the loss of tools and techniques to professionals would put the public at greater risk to economic loss and zoonotic disease transmission than any risk posed by the tools themselves.
Should this petition not be tabled or referred to committee for further discussion, we would ask that wildlife control service providers be allowed to continue to operate under their existing permits to control nuisance and depredating wildlife. Since Nevada Code currently allows for depredating wildlife to be taken in areas closed to hunting or trapping (NAC 503.710 to 503.740), we ask that commercial enterprises also be exempted when providing for-hire wild- life control or pest management servic- es within the affected area should this proposed language be adopted.

NWCOA State Representative and Reno area businessman, xxxxxxxxxx, is eager to participate in the rulemaking process and work with other stakeholders to develop a workable solution without comprising the ability to wildlife control operators to offer useful services to protect property, public health and wildlife for Washoe County citizens. xxxxx can be reached at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your time and consideration, and please do not hesitate to contact our association if you have any questions. We can be reached at the contact information provided below.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4420229
04/07/14 07:19 AM
04/07/14 07:19 AM
NV, USA
N
NV man Offline
trapper
NV man  Offline
trapper
N

NV, USA
Nice letter and a good idea to contact them directly. There continues to be a push to change trapping legislation in NV, and I hope NWCOA stays involved. Perhaps a $250 membership is worth joining? However, myself and another WCO do a large amount of lobbying at the state level already. I wonder if it's better to have more entities fighting for the same thing than it would be to join and reduce the voices being heard?

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4420506
04/07/14 12:00 PM
04/07/14 12:00 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I don't think you have to stop lobbying on your own behalf to join a national entity. You are adding weight to the entity with your membership, in this case NWCOA, while at the same time you can pursue your state issues knowing you can also ask for support from NWCOA to add weight to your local needs.

Just a thought....

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4490923
05/26/14 02:02 AM
05/26/14 02:02 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I know I may be a little late to this conversation, but I was looking at joining NWCOA and wanted to throw in something I didnt see listed as a reason why to join

I called two insurance companies and was estimated $750-$1000, even though I planned on making less than 5 grand this year. NWCOA insurance is $550, plus the $125 to become a non voting member. So, this is still cheaper and the insurance will also cover one family memeber technician for no extra charge.

So I could join and get a cheaper, broader insurance, with people who actually know what I do, AND be apart of a growing group, whether they be good bad or useless, or just get some run of the mill insurance for more.

Just a thought

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4494333
05/28/14 06:09 PM
05/28/14 06:09 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Just received newsletter and webinar series schedule. Nice!

Re: NWCOA [Re: DaveK] #4496269
05/30/14 02:36 AM
05/30/14 02:36 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Just received newsletter and webinar series schedule. Nice!

Whats the webinars?

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4496562
05/30/14 10:48 AM
05/30/14 10:48 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I think those are seminars on spiders.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4496663
05/30/14 12:44 PM
05/30/14 12:44 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
This series of 4 webinars is available FREE, exclusively to NWCOA members. It is designed to bring education and information on a variety of topics to our members, in a way that is very accessible - and certainly affordable.

Moles....bats....and a couple other seminars.

Re: NWCOA [Re: DaveK] #4497341
05/30/14 09:27 PM
05/30/14 09:27 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
This series of 4 webinars is available FREE, exclusively to NWCOA members. It is designed to bring education and information on a variety of topics to our members, in a way that is very accessible - and certainly affordable.

Moles....bats....and a couple other seminars.

excellent

Re: NWCOA [Re: danz] #4504099
06/04/14 01:13 PM
06/04/14 01:13 PM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
Well, I joined NWCOA. Their webinars sealed the deal for me.

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4504684
06/04/14 09:30 PM
06/04/14 09:30 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M