ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375234
03/13/14 05:51 PM
03/13/14 05:51 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
HD I can remember when you started your company and talking to Robb and glad your still around.I dont mind paying for training thats a given but the other amount just to be a member in my mind {even at 125.00} is out of line and I think you should recheck your dollar amount just to show up cause around here youd be unemployed.I dont mean any hard feelings but things arent the same all over the country and I know that fact from experience in a national franchise that Im glad that I got away from.

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375292
03/13/14 06:18 PM
03/13/14 06:18 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Trapster, I do honestly get out of the vehicle for less, however they aren't the norm. I realize things aren't the same in every market which is why pricing checks on here often go on deaf ears as the debate on them is old and always shows what one guy charges the next might not get in their area due to either economics of their area, selling themselves short on the skill, service they are offering, or other factors.

I mostly think that the debate focusing solely on the cost of membership is plagued with problems. Too many variables to find a sweet spot that somehow will not only help the association grow and meet its goals for members but also make sure every single person out there who hangs out a shingle and calls themselves wildlife control operators will find it in their interest to send a check.

We can't expect that the membership will suit a guy who maybe runs a few traps part time just getting his feet wet, or maybe the guy in a very rural town who just runs a few coyote traps for local ranchers for opportunities to get on land during fur season.

What I do know is I've yet to meet anyone who is doing this work full time who is unable to pay the price for one of the two memberships and still pay their other bills and grow their company.

Thats not to say a guy might not see that money better spent in his mind on a new tool for the rig, or a new firearm, or a home repair or office equipment, let alone food, medical, kids,, etc...

Just saying that NWCOA shouldn't be distilled down to how much the membership is and not what the merit in membership is.

I do appreciate your candor and honesty though in your post and trust me I do understand not everywhere can you charge the same rate.

I've done work for folks who couldn't possibly afford a true professional due to being in a very real and bad financial way, I have no problem with that, however if I'm not making what the HVAC and Mechanic and Plumber are making at least, then in my area or anyones I'd say a quick gut check on the reality of the business surviving is in order.

We perform a professional service and as such should be charging professional prices.

I have insurance, experience, equipment, time, labor, marketing, and all kinds of funds tied to my business, you bet I need to be sure I'm bringing in enough per call to not only keep my business but grow it.

On the national franchise end, the last time I heard from a client who told me without me asking, the local yellow trucks were asking for at least $125.00 to show up and then everything they did after that was ala carte and added to the bill, I network with a bunch of pest controllers here too and though their model is different, they are charging from the word go!

I was a member of the NTA for years, just because we trapped, not because I was in a state with its laws being challenged or the activity being possibly banned or other political reasons. I got my magazine and read a few articles, otherwise my membership technically didn't benefit me, yet I paid every year.

Now paying into a trade association is a direct benefit to me, while it might not be for my neighbor in business, that is their business or yours to decide, but ultimately I do hope we can start discussing NWCOA as a trade association and not simply as a debate of how much it costs to sign up.

We could do lots more good with deeper discussions and ideas for how to improve the image of our industry and association as a whole rather than just simply why not $50.00 instead of $250.00.

Just my .02, again, I don't fault you or anyone else for thinking they aren't going to pay that rate, just asking can't we all move to a higher deeper discussion than just the cost of membership.

Best,

Justin

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375315
03/13/14 06:29 PM
03/13/14 06:29 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Justin - well said! Imagine if the public understood that this industry was professional and that it is not some free service! Your investment in the NWCOA membership would pay off in spades. We would get more guys working...

Dave

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375327
03/13/14 06:33 PM
03/13/14 06:33 PM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
What's the direct phone line to NWCOA. I joined last year and paid 250.00 so I could get insurance through Jim Pace. I never even received a membership card from NWCOA. That was last Summer....

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375330
03/13/14 06:34 PM
03/13/14 06:34 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
panaxman, Here is the link phone number is in upper right hand corner.

http://www.nwcoa.com/

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375539
03/13/14 07:52 PM
03/13/14 07:52 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I don't remember getting a card....but I can't think of a reason to have one. I have enough cards in my wallet. Jim Pace is the man....

Dave

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375617
03/13/14 08:16 PM
03/13/14 08:16 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
as I sit here reading 3 pages, reading what folks are saying. some of these folks I sat right next to in the very first Nwcoa meeting, and in many meetings to follow. and have great respect for them. others I have respect for them even though I have never met them or talked to them, and they have no idea who Ron Jones is nor should they, but they stand behind their posts and statements, and seem to be up right standing men and women. Over the years I have backed off being vocal about NWCOA, positive or negative, I just sat back and watched and listened. I will also at this time refrain from voicing. But I must admit I would like to sit and talk to Jason the new President, man to man over coffee, to see just where he has visions, and where they will go. I am going to go on a rabbit trail that leads no where here, leadership leads by serving, the more they serve the folks, the more those folks are willing to let them lead. A very hard lesson I have had to learn. When a association stops serving then the visions die. when the visions die so does the association. equally as important is the leadership must convince not force the membership of these visions, for if the membership does not grasp those visions then those vision will also die.

Last edited by Jonesie; 03/13/14 08:19 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375628
03/13/14 08:20 PM
03/13/14 08:20 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Who is Ron Jones? Wasn't that the same Ron that ran for US President? LOL. We met in Ohio....2 years ago.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4375771
03/13/14 09:05 PM
03/13/14 09:05 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Na that was my twin brother he goes by Ron also LOL he's better looking too. Back to NWCOA LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378013
03/14/14 08:57 PM
03/14/14 08:57 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Well I just erased my true feelings on this matter so go ahead and keep hollering for more members and dont offer them nothing but a card and maybe just maybe a sticker to put on their truck.If you all want to be the voice of the ADC folks then why not make it affordable to all??

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378083
03/14/14 09:08 PM
03/14/14 09:08 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
So just what do you consider affordable and what type of gift/membership perk would you like?

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378110
03/14/14 09:18 PM
03/14/14 09:18 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Let's just let the Mafia take over they way they do the refuse business'
That'll wake 'em up !

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378561
03/15/14 01:25 AM
03/15/14 01:25 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Trapster, I certainly hope you didn't think I was asking or hoping for you to redact your posts, I certainly wasn't. You are honestly voicing your opinion and I thought we were ultimately debating the issues in open forum.

I also want to take a minute to point out these posts are never started by NWCOA board members asking for more membership. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but they are started by folks who usually ask an innocent enough question.

"Should I join NWCOA" or "What do I get as a member" or something of the sort. Inevitably this discussion is nearly always headed toward the cost of membership. I'm not saying that is wrong, it is only my opinion that the focus should be on other things, but that doesn't mean I can say anyone arguing the cost is inherently wrong.

So I hope that by stating this you and anyone reading understands I'm just hoping we can have a conversation about what will get folks to join and I'm hoping that isn't simply lowering the cost.

Maybe a poll of some sort among our peers would help?

I think Charles has opened the floor to anyone who wants to voice what they would see as reasonable for membership and also what perks or benefits of membership folks would like to see.

I hope anyone interested that hasn't joined will voice answers to these questions or contact Charles directly via pm if they'd prefer.

My final thought is that it is rare to find any thread be harmonious with no debate or discussion, no matter the topic, however I don't feel that general debate should cause folks to think they need to remove their statements or opinions. This is an open forum for all whether we all agree or disagree as it often happens...

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378608
03/15/14 03:46 AM
03/15/14 03:46 AM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Lt,

Think I could handle the mafia over the crazy cat lovers. At least they would want me to make money to pay my nut. smile

Justin

I also think the networking opportunities are over looked as a membership perk. Paul W. I am going to use you as one of my examples (as you have spoken on it) hope you don't mind.

Paul had an injury in his company and as we had a similar injury in our company I was aware of a benefit in the NWCOA insurance program and made Paul aware of it. Not sure of the savings but me getting in touch with him probably saved enough to cover a couple years membership dues.

A member from Illinois gave me an advertising tip that costs me nothing that generates at least 20 scheduled calls a year. Just the service call/inspection fee (no removal or repair costs included) would pay my NWCOA dues for years.

There are many more examples, even here on this forum with the thread on market research. Many of those topics I have discussed with other members. They know who I am, I know who they are, we are aware of each others market area and they/I are willing to share money making tips and tricks that we may not want to share publicly.

It takes effort on my part but I still see it as a huge membership benefit.

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4378754
03/15/14 08:48 AM
03/15/14 08:48 AM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Charles - could you pm me the tip? Never know...maybe I missed it. I am a member!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4379370
03/15/14 03:26 PM
03/15/14 03:26 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
You tell 'em, Charles. Christian/Baker paid a $3000 balance on a series of rabies shots for my son P.J. when he got bit by a pit bull. The dog was subsequently shot by our first rate police department but unfortunately the body was'nt found in time. YOU DON"T TAKE CHANCES WITH RABIES!

P.S. I take some of the blame for raising a son that tastes like a Purina dog biscuit.

Re: NWCOA [Re: DaveK] #4380461
03/15/14 10:54 PM
03/15/14 10:54 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: DaveK
Charles - could you pm me the tip? Never know...maybe I missed it. I am a member!

Me too?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: NWCOA [Re: Jonesie] #4381082
03/16/14 10:53 AM
03/16/14 10:53 AM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
Well said Ron!

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4385783
03/18/14 06:12 PM
03/18/14 06:12 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Im up for the tip as well.I was asked what I thought would be a reasonable amount for dues so here it is $75.00 a year with full membership would or should be more than enough,as far as perks I could care less the insurance sounds OK but I now have more coverage at a lesser premium than my discounted price from NWCOA or Jim Pace or Christian Baker however you want to look at it.
Im all for a national association but I really believe NWCOA has priced theirselves out of that.
If no one is paid where does all of the money go?? I know you put on seminars and training and such but it all still costs members money to attend {i.e. cost of course cost of room cost of meals cost of travel}I know renting a conference room or furnishing a meal isnt cheap but the prices of your training and membership isnt either and Ill stand my ground on the fact that 250 a year is WAY WAY too much.
I havent been on in awhile and I am not the only one to of asked for the tip either and I do not see a reply. whistle

Re: NWCOA [Re: Coondog6] #4385814
03/18/14 06:43 PM
03/18/14 06:43 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Well I am glad to see that we are only $50 apart in what you think it should cost and what it does cost at one membership level. As far as Jim Pace and Christian Baker I feel it would be a deal at twice the price.

The tip was shared with members who asked via PM.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread