No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4313340 - 02/14/14 08:36 AM Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer
CBB1 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Carolina
Good morning guys, I am new to trapping and am starting from scrath here. I have never set a trap in the ground but want to start targeting the coyotes on my deer hunting properties. I have looked at a number of traps online and just recenlty the Bridger #2 dogless has caught my eye due to good reviews and a reasonable price. Any thoughts on these as an entry level trap to get started with.

#4313358 - 02/14/14 08:47 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
CoonNfoxtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Look around. There are posts everywhere on this site about that trap. I just ordered one trap just to get my hands on one to see what its like and if i like it Im trying to decide on ordering 2 dozen of them or 1 dozen of the mb650's.

#4313374 - 02/14/14 08:54 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
CBB1 Offline
trapper

I have read the post about the trap an appreciate the guys that took the time to post them. I guess my real question is, is the dogless design a benifit or a henderence to a new trapper. Please keep in mind I have never set a trap and do not want my hand to be my first catch.

#4313464 - 02/14/14 09:44 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
mrob Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
I don't have very much experience with dogless traps but I want to try a few of the new Bridger and Montgomery dogless traps. I would suggest getting MB550's. What county do you live in?

#4314886 - 02/14/14 09:43 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
CBB1 Offline
trapper

I looked hard at the MBs but just hate to drop that much money knowing I have to buy all the accessories as well. I thought maybe the bridgers would be a good mid level trap to get started with.

I am in Orange County NC.

#4315001 - 02/14/14 11:10 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
dcampbell Offline
trapper

Loc: livingston Tx
You cant go wrong with that Bridger Dogless #2. Been using the #3's, and they have done well for me.

#4315306 - 02/15/14 08:09 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
cotton Offline

Loc: rual retreat va. soon be 19
Originally Posted By: CBB1
I looked hard at the MBs but just hate to drop that much money knowing I have to buy all the accessories as well. I thought maybe the bridgers would be a good mid level trap to get started with.

I am in Orange County NC.

the 550's are pretty much tricked out right out of the box so no mod's needed. cheaper in the long run in my book.

i run a good many of the old monty dogless and love them but they do have some con's.
can be hard to tune and some times will fire with frezze thaw weather.

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
Proud testosterone charged redneck

#4315350 - 02/15/14 08:46 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
hoho Offline
trapper

Loc: alabama
I have read the post about the trap an appreciate the guys that took the time to post them. I guess my real question is, is the dogless design a benifit or a henderence to a new trapper. Please keep in mind I have never set a trap and do not want my hand to be my first catch.

Your hand may not be your first catch, but if you trap long enough, you'll catch it lol!

#4315352 - 02/15/14 08:47 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
CoonNfoxtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa

Dogless Bridger would be a good starting trap. Just getting going you dont need to Invest thousands in Mb traps. You should get to catching critters and Know that you really enjoy trapping before you Fork out that kind of cash. The #2 Dogless are at a great entry Price Trap at 137$ a dozen you cant ask for much more.. When setting your traps Get in the habit of reaching Under the loose jaw to push the pan up Then Hold The pan there while you pull your other hand away from the jaws after that hold the trap by the Chain where it hooks to the baseplate and level off your pan with your thumb under the loose jaw. when setting like this you should avoid being the first Catch.lol

#4315403 - 02/15/14 09:13 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: hoho]
Kevmill Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: hoho

Your hand may not be your first catch, but if you trap long enough, you'll catch it lol!

Beat me to it..lol

CBB1 it's going to happen sooner or later. We've all been there numerous times. It stings a little at first but with no lasting effects it's soon forgotten.

But to answer your question. It would be a great trap to get started with. Good luck catching them yotes...

#4315669 - 02/15/14 12:20 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
coalminer Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
If I where starting over, I would get 2 of what I thought I liked to try. Me, I am fond of bridger 2 n 3's, mb 450's and duke 1.5 n 3 size traps. You have a lot of other things to buy if u put up ur own fur. You can do a lot with 2 dz. of mixed traps, along with what u will learn with different traps. Just my .02.

#4315705 - 02/15/14 12:45 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
Katcatcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho (north central)
Howdy CBB1,
The dogless traps are a real advantage from the stand point that the dog doesn't throw the foot out of the trap when fired.
If I was starting out and buying coyote traps I would buy some good used #3 Montgomeries. I like them better than the Bridger's and if you don't continue to trap you will be able to sell them for about what you paid for them. You should be able to get them for about $12.50 apiece which is pretty close to what the #2 Bridger's are. Just another thought from an old man that started buying Montgomery traps when they were first being manufactured in the US not a poor foreign copy.

#4317490 - 02/16/14 10:16 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
CBB1 Offline
trapper

Thanks for the input guys, trapping is whole new world for me. I can already tell it is much more expensive and time consuming than the average guy would think.

#4317504 - 02/16/14 10:24 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
tmrschessie Online   content

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
I have not used the Bridger dogless but have used them dog on...styles. I don't think you will be disappointed in the Bridger traps. I personally prefer the #3 dog on, off set, outside laminated, base plated, 4X4...they really hold up well. Tom

#4317571 - 02/16/14 10:51 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
dpayne Online   content
trapper

Loc: Missouri
I really like my bridger #3's with dogs - easy to set and a good quality trap ... I think you can get them 2coiled for about 14$ ... Good luck
Bobcat 0/3
Beaver 0/10
Muskrat 0/10

#4317577 - 02/16/14 10:54 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
nmhornet Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
I have some Montgomery #2's and #'3 Dogless traps for sale if anyone is interested.

#4317619 - 02/16/14 11:16 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper

Loc: Western (the town) Nebraska
I am with Tom on his assessment of the #3 bridgers all done up. they are a great trap for the beginner or the pro. The #2 bridger all done up is way more than adequate for cats and yotes. The bridgers are a copy of the old northwoods trap and this year I finally 4 coiled all my northwoods. Made a old great trap even better. And this year I was impressed with the way the stock bridger 1.75 caught and held coyotes on my line. The 1.75 trap takes a lot less digging and chipping frozen dirt than the #3, but there are trade offs between the two. All great traps. But then the MB traps are great too, just cost more. But I am going to get some more of the bridger 1.75s and #2s or #3s , probably try the dogless in the #2s or #3s. I have a lot of different traps ( duke, victor, bridgers, northwoods, Montgomery, couple others).... they all work and catch critters. Just go out and learn and have some fun!!

#4317671 - 02/16/14 11:44 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
nmhornet Offline
trapper

NebrCatMan....on the Bridger 1.75's or 2's..how have the pad catches been on cats? Would you say that they are too small for cats? If you don't mind could you describe the pros and cons or trade offs between the 1.75's and the 3's that you mentioned.

#4317681 - 02/16/14 11:48 AM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: nmhornet]
dpayne Online   content
trapper

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: nmhornet
NebrCatMan....on the Bridger 1.75's or 2's..how have the pad catches been on cats? Would you say that they are too small for cats? If you don't mind could you describe the pros and cons or trade offs between the 1.75's and the 3's that you mentioned.

I'm curious too, because they are both on my shopping list ... I planned on using the 1.75 for fox, and for yotes and cats as well - but primarily for fox
Bobcat 0/3
Beaver 0/10
Muskrat 0/10

#4318266 - 02/16/14 05:04 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
nmhornet Offline
trapper

so whats everyones thoughts on the 1.75's for cats?

#4318494 - 02/16/14 06:46 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper

Loc: Western (the town) Nebraska
The #1.75s would not be my first choice for cats as it seems to me a cat is too quick with his feet and you would probably wind up with more toe catches than would be acceptable. A #2 or #3 is a much better choice for only cat trapping. No doubt the bigger the trap the better.......... to a point. But the 1.75s seemed to hold the coyotes and coon that stepped in them this fall and winter..... they are cheaper, or were in their introductory year... so that means you can buy more traps for the money. Definitely easier to dig a bed in hard or super hard frozen dirt for a smaller trap. Lighter to carry a bunch in a ways from the truck. The pan on the 1.75 seems to be a little thin and bends some, more than on the #2 or #3 (different design). I have learned over the years that pan placement compared to the hole or lure and guiding as to where the critter puts his foot, is probably more critical than most people want to admit. So they say big traps are the best. I caught a few coyotes in #1 1/2 duke in blind trail sets just covered sparsely with grass that I intended for coon only. Used sticks or stones for guiding the front foot right onto the pan. When any critter hits the pan dead center while trotting down a trail it usually there when I show up.

#4318892 - 02/16/14 09:11 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
nmhornet Offline
trapper

so you would not recommend them for cats.....was leaning towards the #2 Bridger dogless as a good compromise on a multi species line. Maybe i am looking at it at all wrong though....maybe you are 100% correct on bigger is better and I should stick to my Montana #3's

I know of a few cat trappers that are going to the traps for cats specifically the 1.75 as a go to trap for exposed sets?

What is everyones thoughts on this

#4321524 - 02/17/14 09:30 PM Re: Bridger #2 dogless for a first timer [Re: CBB1]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
good trap for sure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >