Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Coyotes - *** Coyote Wars ! *** #4298770
02/07/14 06:15 PM
02/07/14 06:15 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
And so it is, that we come to the end of fur season and renew the start of full time predator control.
This I like to think of as "Coyote Wars", obviously one, that since the ban of 1080, the coyote seems to be winning.
There are just as many coyotes as there ever were. Probably more.
Many suburbs and major cities now have a 'recorded' coyote population.
The more we kill them, the smarter they become.
Then too, even smarter must we become.
We are after all, the top predator on earth...so why let a 'mangy ol'wiley coyote' mess with our minds.

And yet, so many do.

Coyotes have plagued mankind for years and even the best coyote trappers can tell you stories of the one that nearly
drove them insane before capturing, or perhaps, even worst, never did.
We must remember that there is no coyote that possesses 'supernatural' power.
Although at times it would appear they do.
All creatures have a certain vulnerability. The coyote is no different.

Some studies are now indicating we have a new hybrid 'on the block'.
A Coy-Wolf if you will. That eastern Canadian grey wolves have mated with coyotes producing a super hybrid.
'Brush wolves' if you do your research have been around for decades.
Whether these are actually hybrids or genetically just larger animals is certainly open for discussion.
Coyotes like many species differ in many parts of the country.
Look at a white tail deer in the Florida keys. Now look at one on the corn belt of the mid west.
Still a white tail but quite the difference in size.
We have always had large coyotes in the east.

When you sign up to be a professional Animal Damage Control trapper, you sign up for a 7 days a week job.
There is no off time. You're married to your job.
You might be able to 'set off' a 'coon or squirrel trap in town for the weekend and come back on Monday.
But, you won't pull that stunt with a predator control job or doing beaver control.
Not and be any good, you won't!

And it's our job to be good. To be the best!
Do you want to be the best ?
Do you have what it takes ?
Most ADC men, like long line fur trappers, push themselves physically beyond the bounds that few are willing to do.
Few are willing to sacrifice what it takes to become the best in their field.
We are what we believe we are and what we can become !

But, that takes dedication and hard work.
Hours and countless hours of hard work.
You study. You learn. You try. You fail. You pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and start again...
Nothing worth having is ever easy unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth...
I can tell you "the silver dun' run out of these parts, mister".

I would like to invite every member on here that truly traps coyotes year 'round to add to this thread.
Right now I can think of only a handful.
The subjects to be covered will be broad.
Trapping, snaring, calling, denning, best sets in spring and summer,guiding on sets, best traps,when to use pan covers and what types to use. Which covering is the best and why. How to pattern spooky coyotes, draw stations, M-44's and so much more.

This isn't fur trapping. It's full time predator control.

This isn't something for the average fur trapper. Still a lot of the practices can be used in fur season.
If you can trap coyotes during spring and summer when they are at their lowest levels and the season is against you, you can trap coyotes anytime and anywhere.

I plan to go season by season, starting with March, denning season.

"There is a huge difference in fall pups and hard nosed predators"

Welcome to the world of professional coyote control.

( Viewer discretion is advised )

LT

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4298885
02/07/14 07:13 PM
02/07/14 07:13 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma

This Pregnant female had killed a set of twins earlier that day after avoiding sets for a week. Called her in with fawn distress at dusk. The shot was not close either she hung up across a valley after studying the situation. Almost got away but quick fallow up shot put her calf killing to an end. This was the 9'th of april 2013. Don't claim to be a full time trapper but with the ranch/farm predator control is full time.

My wife found her in the peas behind the ranger.

That is the view across the valley she hung up on, I placed a western rivers caller across the valley next to the field of peas and oats. She had become used to me being 100 or so yards from the caller. By placing the caller 300 yds. away I fooled her.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4298906
02/07/14 07:23 PM
02/07/14 07:23 PM
SE Ohio
S
sempergumby Offline
trapper
sempergumby  Offline
trapper
S

SE Ohio
I have found that using a caller will fool some of the younger pups and cause them to run in, but the older ones I think can recognize a fabricated or recorded sound. In the spring, I try to use a pup in distress call to lure the mother away from the den. If you kill her, you kill the entire litter. But, they get call shy in a hurry, especially if you have every wannabe coyote hunter in the area educating them. I always try and do sounds that most people normally would not do. A wounded wood pecker is one, or chicken in distress often results in a dead coyote or two.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4298910
02/07/14 07:25 PM
02/07/14 07:25 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
Good tip. I have used that one by placing the caller away from the shooter.
I have an old Dennis Kirk caller that uses the old cassette tapes but has the option of letting the hunter place the speaker, which is cordless, away from ones self while controlling the volume with a hand held device.
One can also stop and change tapes while the speaker is 100 yards away.

What caliber and what grain bullet did you use, sparkyd ?
Also, how far was the final shot ?

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4298919
02/07/14 07:29 PM
02/07/14 07:29 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Good tip. I have used that one by placing the caller away from the shooter.
I have an old Dennis Kirk caller that uses the old cassette tapes but has the option of letting the hunter place the speaker, which is cordless, away from ones self while controlling the volume with a hand held device.
One can also stop and change tapes while the speaker is 100 yards away.

What caliber and what grain bullet did you use, sparkyd ?
Also, how far was the final shot ?

6.5 Grendel 123 gr. A-max The exact range was 420 yds. according to the leupold range finder. The rifle was my first build. And she still made it into the peas. She had cornered or drug a calf the week before into the tinhorn not 100 yes. from the house.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4298929
02/07/14 07:33 PM
02/07/14 07:33 PM
SE Ohio
S
sempergumby Offline
trapper
sempergumby  Offline
trapper
S

SE Ohio
Sparkyd,
How much damage a year do you usually have from predators?

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: sempergumby] #4298931
02/07/14 07:35 PM
02/07/14 07:35 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: sempergumby
I have found that using a caller will fool some of the younger pups and cause them to run in, but the older ones I think can recognize a fabricated or recorded sound. In the spring, I try to use a pup in distress call to lure the mother away from the den. If you kill her, you kill the entire litter. But, they get call shy in a hurry, especially if you have every wannabe coyote hunter in the area educating them. I always try and do sounds that most people normally would not do. A wounded wood pecker is one, or chicken in distress often results in a dead coyote or two.

These do not work here, every wanna be knows chickens are grown here and uses them. During winter the woodpecker call is wore out people trying for cats. Last week in March through end of April always use the fawn distress. Another good call here is baby pig in distress, along with Kitten in distress. Canine in distress is good if you can get close to the denning area (but you have to remember they pup here in the open).

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: sempergumby] #4298933
02/07/14 07:36 PM
02/07/14 07:36 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Sparkyd,

Lost three calves. 1 in the tinhorn and the twins. Out of 80 head calving.

Last edited by sparkyd; 02/07/14 07:36 PM.
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4298989
02/07/14 07:56 PM
02/07/14 07:56 PM
SE Ohio
S
sempergumby Offline
trapper
sempergumby  Offline
trapper
S

SE Ohio
You know, one thing I have always wanted to do was record a cow giving birth and put that on a foxpro! cool

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4299026
02/07/14 08:10 PM
02/07/14 08:10 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Might work.

Last edited by sparkyd; 02/07/14 08:12 PM.
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: sparkyd] #4299051
02/07/14 08:18 PM
02/07/14 08:18 PM
Indiana
Y
Yaz Offline
trapper
Yaz  Offline
trapper
Y

Indiana
Originally Posted By: sparkyd
Sparkyd,

We have not lost one in 3 years now to coyotes. However, we now get them in to lots close to the house, and don't turn them out of the barn until they are two weeks old. We have been calving since the first week of January, and they do not go onto summer pasture until the first week of April. By then the calves are pretty good shape. That's not fully "coyote proof", but it sure helps. Working on coyote #55 in three years has helped the most. The ones I don't/can't catch become spooky enough that they stay away from the calving lots by this time of year.

I do not bother the coyotes too bad after about the middle of March, when I pull up all my traps and snares. The only exception to that is if one becomes brazen enough to cause us trouble. I then just becomes a shot on sight scenario.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4299085
02/07/14 08:28 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
Anyone ever use a young woodchuck ?
Their squeal is unbelievable. Very high pitched.
They are prey to coyotes out here in the east.

Marmots, which are just a better dressed woodchuck, would also be one that would work well on western coyotes.

Does anyone make a copy of that sound ?

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4299087
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Last three years total coyote was about 120. They move in faster than I can kill them, we have a lot of chicken farms here so the coyotes get allot of Welfare. They dig out composters for the dead chickens. I think my little neighborhood has 16 chicken houses.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: sparkyd] #4299088
02/07/14 08:29 PM
02/07/14 08:29 PM
Indiana
Y
Yaz Offline
trapper
Yaz  Offline
trapper
Y

Indiana
Originally Posted By: sparkyd
Sparkyd,

I have a calf distress call on my fox pro. I made a BIG mistake one late spring morning using it. I walked back through the pasture right at daylight. I stopped to scratch on a couple of the "pets". Yes…….Our old cows LOVE to get a good scratching grin. I slipped over the bank, overlooking a wooded hollow that is part of the pasture. I started off with a coyote locate. Waited a while, and hit the calf bawl on the fox pro. OMG!!!!!!!! shocked Armageddon was upon me in the form of 20 very wizzed off cows!!!!!!!!! I don't know what kept them in the pasture!!!! They were going fence to fence at full speed looking for the distressed calf! It took them over two hours to settle down, and they were on edge for two days afterward. DON'T DO THAT!!!!

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4299091
02/07/14 08:31 PM
02/07/14 08:31 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
laugh

I have always felt that the best success on calling coyotes is to first locate the coyote if at all possible.
There are so many good 'locating calls' anymore that not having one and learning how to use it seems to be at a disadvantage.
Sirens have also used as locators. The sound is on cassette and CD for clearer sound.
Locating the coyote gives you the advantage to pick an ambush point.
Always an advantage. Coyotes don't always the way you think but mostly generally come in down wind.
They trust their nose!

I've used several rifles in calling. 223, 22-250, 22 magnum and 708, which is a bit of an overkill but, when you aren't skinning it doesn't matter. Remington model 700 bolt action are hard to beat.
Get the best scope you can afford !
Practice!
A Harris swiveled bipod can help you in many cases. Let a coyote get into close with a rifle and most will end up missing the shot.
If he gets within a hundred yards and you can take him, do it.
On shotguns, 10 gauge shotguns are the my personal choice. Second would be a 12 gauge Bennelli, as it will out perform most Browning, Remington and auto Winchesters, if you do a lot of shooting.
00 Buck and #2 high brass as a load. #4 Buck at close range.
Always nice to have both at hand if you don't have another shooter.
You never know how fast a coyote will come in. Using just one over the other will cause you some misses

Camouflage comes in so many patterns but if you are hidden in the shadows and DON'T MOVE most coyotes won't be able to pick you out.
Wind changing positions have sold out many a caller.

Sooner or later a coyote will stall out or spook at the last minute.
Sometimes a sharp bark will stop a coyote for a second to get a shot.
Depending on the terrain and the firearm shooting a charging coyote or one running away is not all that difficult if in range.
Know your range and what you, your firearm and load are capable of.
This will save you a lot of grey hairs in the end.

LT

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4299095
02/07/14 08:34 PM
02/07/14 08:34 PM
Indiana
Y
Yaz Offline
trapper
Yaz  Offline
trapper
Y

Indiana
Sparkyd, That would be a full time job in itself!!!!!! With a full time job to boot for me, I do not have time to trap outside our small farms.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: Yaz] #4299108
02/07/14 08:39 PM
02/07/14 08:39 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma

I have a calf distress call on my fox pro. I made a BIG mistake one late spring morning using it. I walked back through the pasture right at daylight. I stopped to scratch on a couple of the "pets". Yes…….Our old cows LOVE to get a good scratching grin. I slipped over the bank, overlooking a wooded hollow that is part of the pasture. I started off with a coyote locate. Waited a while, and hit the calf bawl on the fox pro. OMG!!!!!!!! shocked Armageddon was upon me in the form of 20 very wizzed off cows!!!!!!!!! I don't know what kept them in the pasture!!!! They were going fence to fence at full speed looking for the distressed calf! It took them over two hours to settle down, and they were on edge for two days afterward. DON'T DO THAT!!!! [/quote]
Ours are pets too! That would be tense worrying over fixing fence.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: Yaz] #4299115
02/07/14 08:41 PM
02/07/14 08:41 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Yaz
Sparkyd, That would be a full time job in itself!!!!!! With a full time job to boot for me, I do not have time to trap outside our small farms.

We only have three chicken houses. There are just several farms in our area.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4299121
02/07/14 08:43 PM
02/07/14 08:43 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Anyone ever use a young woodchuck ?
Their squeal is unbelievable. Very high pitched.
They are prey to coyotes out here in the east.

Marmots, which are just a better dressed woodchuck, would also be one that would work well on western coyotes.

Does anyone make a copy of that sound ?

Not to many woodchucks here. More feral hogs.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4299123
02/07/14 08:44 PM
02/07/14 08:44 PM
SE Ohio
S
sempergumby Offline
trapper
sempergumby  Offline
trapper
S

SE Ohio
I would have loved to have that on film Yaz..lol Predator calling blooper reel!!

Last edited by sempergumby; 02/07/14 09:02 PM.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91