Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: sempergumby] #4477728
05/16/14 09:02 PM
05/16/14 09:02 PM
Dryden, Ontario
B
Barryf Offline
trapper
Barryf  Offline
trapper
B

Dryden, Ontario
Originally Posted By: sempergumby
Originally Posted By: Barryf
Lt grey you should no better than to put pictures like that it does nothing to help us with the antis trying to stop trapping
On both sides of the border

The post was about nuisance trapping coyotes. Not fur trapping. They are two totally different worlds and that is part of the job. The coyote wars thread is just that, war on coyotes and everyone knows, war is he!!.

Yes I know what the post was about we are full swing in are nuisance beaver program but we don't post pictures
That will hurt all traping some day if you don't. Think so keep posting your pictures

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4478131
05/17/14 07:30 AM
05/17/14 07:30 AM
pennsylvania
SULLDOG Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"
SULLDOG  Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"

pennsylvania
this is a trapping forum..........AH!

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4479506
05/18/14 11:39 AM
05/18/14 11:39 AM
montana
A
andy weiser Offline
trapper
andy weiser  Offline
trapper
A

montana

This big male was heading into a calving pasture on March 17th of this year.

This coyote was denning in a hay stack at a calving pasture.

Calves were just starting to be born. March 1st 2014.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: andy weiser] #4479715
05/18/14 03:14 PM
05/18/14 03:14 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: andy weiser
This is a interesting thread LT. Tis the season for coyote control. I really like reading on coyote control during the warm months. It seems that a lot of trappers have their favorites when it comes to coyote trapping, lure, set technique, ect, ect. I'm headed into a fairly remote area, will be trapping out of a tent camp. The objective is to kill as many coyotes as possible before they move cow calf pairs into the area in about 3 weeks. I will post pics on here when I get home. I'm not a fan of sweet type lures and yes I know they work at times but feel meat and gland based is still king whether they are hungry or not. One of my favorite summer lures is the tongue and brains of a sheep ground and aged for a week in hot weather, then I add 2 teaspoons of zinc valerate powder and 4 ounces of good coyote urine. If it gets real hot out I will mix in a small amount of melted lanoline. You all have a good one.

Andy,
I for one, and I hope I speak for a good many trappers, appreciate your contributions to any thread on trapping, coyotes in particular.
What you write comes from experience.
That said, this is as one pointed out a thread on coyote control.
Not meant to be a fur trapping thread, per say.
Year round control work may not be the best loved part of trapping, yet it is a part.
It isn't for everyone.
I never hide the fact that I am an ADC trapper and that means I am a "hired gun" ,if you will.
You catch and at times kill whatever someone 'hires' you to do.
And that's young, old, pregnant females, etc.
It isn't some romantic notion of 'mountain man fur trapping in the wilderness...'
It's an all out elimination, any way possible.
But coyotes, like weeds, aren't eliminated...they're managed.
And managed to numbers that ranchers, farmers and hunters can live with.
Until next time...

Looking forward to your contribution, Andy.

LT

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4480162
05/18/14 09:43 PM
05/18/14 09:43 PM
Southern MN
M
Mort Offline
trapper
Mort  Offline
trapper
M

Southern MN
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Originally Posted By: andy weiser
This is a interesting thread LT. Tis the season for coyote control. I really like reading on coyote control during the warm months. It seems that a lot of trappers have their favorites when it comes to coyote trapping, lure, set technique, ect, ect. I'm headed into a fairly remote area, will be trapping out of a tent camp. The objective is to kill as many coyotes as possible before they move cow calf pairs into the area in about 3 weeks. I will post pics on here when I get home. I'm not a fan of sweet type lures and yes I know they work at times but feel meat and gland based is still king whether they are hungry or not. One of my favorite summer lures is the tongue and brains of a sheep ground and aged for a week in hot weather, then I add 2 teaspoons of zinc valerate powder and 4 ounces of good coyote urine. If it gets real hot out I will mix in a small amount of melted lanoline. You all have a good one.

Andy,
I for one, and I hope I speak for a good many trappers, appreciate your contributions to any thread on trapping, coyotes in particular.
What you write comes from experience.
That said, this is as one pointed out a thread on coyote control.
Not meant to be a fur trapping thread, per say.
Year round control work may not be the best loved part of trapping, yet it is a part.
It isn't for everyone.
I never hide the fact that I am an ADC trapper and that means I am a "hired gun" ,if you will.
You catch and at times kill whatever someone 'hires' you to do.
And that's young, old pregnant females, etc.
It isn't some romantic notion of 'mountain man fur trapping in the wilderness...'
It's an all out elimination, any way possible.
But coyotes, like weeds, aren't eliminated...they're managed.
And managed to numbers that ranchers, farmers and hunters can live with.
Until next time...

Looking forward to your contribution, Andy.

LT

Well put buddy

Last edited by Mort; 05/18/14 09:45 PM.
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: Mort] #4480846
05/19/14 12:01 PM
05/19/14 12:01 PM
N.W.GA
D
dixie306 Offline
trapper
dixie306  Offline
trapper
D

N.W.GA

Well put buddy [/quote] X 2

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4480915
05/19/14 12:41 PM
05/19/14 12:41 PM
montana
A
andy weiser Offline
trapper
andy weiser  Offline
trapper
A

montana
I just got all my gear loaded up for the trip, one thing of importance I might mention about warm weather coyote trapping is the use of urine. There is never a more important time than hot weather to add glycerine oil to your urine. I seldom use it as antifreeze because it dilutes the odor but when its hot it will help stay at your set longer than straight urine will. I use the darkest, blackest aged urine I have and mix it 50/50. Have a good one.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4482446
05/20/14 01:22 AM
05/20/14 01:22 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
(...and Andy fails to mention, due to modesty, that he produces some of the best coyote urine in the country !)

If you didn't know, now you know!

LT

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4484632
05/21/14 01:53 PM
05/21/14 01:53 PM
pennsylvania
SULLDOG Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"
SULLDOG  Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"

pennsylvania

remember this pile? 2 more gut piles from cows, 7 pigs, 1 deformned calf!

Even the skulls are 50 yards away!

Slapped in Another liquid draw station and got a camera on it.

While i was trimming out a path to view the station i heard that awesome spring singing...close! REAL CLOSE! walked to where i found one of the pig skulls, bout 100 or so yards away over a bank. Seen where large junks of stomach was dragged, followed trail down to edge of the bank and singing stopped, followed trail to this!

could hear growling, whining and whimpers....a wet pig hoof was lodged under a root. I collected enough scat to last the season. If they dont disperse too far i should have this family group if i catch momma or poppa first.........then its PACK WHACKEN as BIG O calls it!

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4484822
05/21/14 04:32 PM
05/21/14 04:32 PM
Schuylkill co Pa.
B
btribe Offline
trapper
btribe  Offline
trapper
B

Schuylkill co Pa.
Thats great news sulldog. By the way I had an idea about a post while cuttin grass today. It was for the tman guys and gals to guess what if any tats you had. Forget it now. My guess was correct barb wire. Love it. My fishin buddy has the same and a fu man chew. Priceless. Keep those yotes comin to your properties and youll pile em up.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4484869
05/21/14 05:08 PM
05/21/14 05:08 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Buddy called the other day. Lives in a large western city known for its lavish nightlife and prolific gambling. Said something killed his chickens. I determined it was a coyote. Property owner had a hard time believing a coyote could scale the 6-7 foot fence that surrounded his property. I set some snares inside his property and this morning had this female.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4485141
05/21/14 08:37 PM
05/21/14 08:37 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
Lovin' the long extension, Laz ! wink

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4485265
05/21/14 09:32 PM
05/21/14 09:32 PM
South Alabama
North40R Offline
trapper
North40R  Offline
trapper

South Alabama
Thanks for all the good info! LT, Andy, Lazarus and all others giving information here!

For those of us starting out you guys are our best and sometimes only source of information!

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience! Emerson
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4485302
05/21/14 09:45 PM
05/21/14 09:45 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Well the sign this spring has been pretty light. But they had the Game department helicopter out on the Wildlife area to the south and you could hear the faint sound of the shotgun. So there will be a few hogs and coyote move in over the next few days. In the morning I will bait the hog traps, and start looking hard along the roads for coyote sign. I just wonder how many the actually got?

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4485616
05/22/14 02:21 AM
05/22/14 02:21 AM
montana
A
andy weiser Offline
trapper
andy weiser  Offline
trapper
A

montana
Sulldog, looks like you and I shop at the same slaughter house, lol. Its work but well worth it, best thing I have found for handling beef gut piles is a pick axe. you can hook a pick axe in a cut pile and it drags them around pretty good. Nice catch Tracey, you knew that coyote was getting in there some how didn't you. lol I didn't find much for coyote sign where I have been, 3 coyote familys in a 10 mile stretch. I have hit that country hard in the past and probably someone else did too with the prices being paid on them it wouldn't be a surprise. That is a good thing, In the eyes of a rancher No coyote is a good coyote. I jammed in some good sets on some good travel ways, its a waiting game now.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4485688
05/22/14 07:43 AM
05/22/14 07:43 AM
pennsylvania
SULLDOG Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"
SULLDOG  Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"

pennsylvania
I got a friend who got word I was taking deer scraps from local processers for bait piles. He stops at my place and asks me if I want guts and parts. I told him bring it on! Andy the fox here hit this pile harder then the coyotes do! Aggressive suckers! The pig livers go first then beef liver and hearts. Hooves are a hit too. You are so correct about the pick! First 4 piles I drug buy hand and thought, "there has got to be a easier way then this...whew!" That's some serious moving! lol

I have found dens of coyote and fox on this property and the funny thing is...they use hooves like chew toys and are found at every single den! This hoof stew melt down I hear is the nastiest smelling stuff out there!

I used LT's Liquid draw station last winter and they love wearing it like cologne , I poured half in a hole and set the cam on it, ill check it in 2 weeks and post pics.

either im becoming a wolf or my olfactory senses are dying because dead stuff don't bother me as much as it used too! I put a long day in yesterday loading up bait stations, I got home and stepped out of the truck and my wife was like "@#$% NO!" leave your clothes outside, don't even bring them in the garage, i'll bag um and get um! lol Shes a wolf too because she said she could still smell me after I showered, here it wasn't me...IT WAS MY CELL PHONE! LOL! I posted those pics from my cell phone and something stinky got on it, stank went through the gloves I spose ! she tracked it all the way down to the phone!! laugh then wiped it down with Clorox wipes! now my phone smells like a @#$%$#@ swimming pool!

Good luck on the line A.W

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: Lazarus] #4485689
05/22/14 07:44 AM
05/22/14 07:44 AM
pennsylvania
SULLDOG Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"
SULLDOG  Offline
"Blue Sword Swallower"

pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Lazarus
Buddy called the other day. Lives in a large western city known for its lavish nightlife and prolific gambling. Said something killed his chickens. I determined it was a coyote. Property owner had a hard time believing a coyote could scale the 6-7 foot fence that surrounded his property. I set some snares inside his property and this morning had this female.

ALWAYS enjoy your pix LAZ

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: Barryf] #4487684
05/23/14 03:48 PM
05/23/14 03:48 PM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming

Yes I know what the post was about we are full swing in are nuisance beaver program but we don't post pictures
That will hurt all traping some day if you don't. Think so keep posting your pictures [/quote]
Don't you have to be a member to see pics?

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4487802
05/23/14 04:36 PM
05/23/14 04:36 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
LOL Sulldog

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4512859
06/09/14 11:53 PM
06/09/14 11:53 PM
montana
A
andy weiser Offline
trapper
andy weiser  Offline
trapper
A

montana
I think it's only fitting to post the next series of pics on this thread.

One week from heading to summer pasture

Killed and fed on by a pair of adults with pups.

Good trail leading to the calf. I put one deep step down set baited with cat here in the bottom left of pic and another step down 40 feet off the calf at the other end of this trail using horse for bait there. 78 degrees out and dry. No gland lure of urine here because of the cattle. Bait with skunk mixed in only.

Crowding the calvs out and the coyotes in.

A look at the other set from the backside.

#2 Victor/Monty off set 4 coiled, small jaw spread in calving pastures only for me. Bedded closer to the hole than normal for obvious reasons.

Completed set, rougher the better if pups are involved.

Trail they used to come in to the kill site, we are about 200 yards from the dead calf here. I picked that rabbit brush for my backing at this set.

Finished set with foot guides in place, the large clawed of dirt that is in front of the hole has a small smooth spot behind it, if I make a catch here it will be by the left foot I would about bet. In the next week or so we will see what happens. Maybe I posted these picks for nothing and then again it might get interesting.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91