Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Freezing fur ? #421460
11/20/07 09:48 AM
11/20/07 09:48 AM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline OP
trapper
shanemoss  Offline OP
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
I have never sold green fur except the ones i caught the morning before i sold them, but this year, I have a new buyer and he prefers them green. Frozen flat or if beaver, rolled up. My freezer is an upright freezer and they wont fit in there flat. What are my options? Could I fold them once in the middle and freeze and have the same out come? If so, should I put cardboard or something in between the furs? I skinned 2 greys, a red, and a monster coon yesterday and so far today I have two coons and a red. The ones I skinned yesterday are in the fridge so i need to figure this out and get em froze today. I dont see where folding them would hurt as I'm sure he'll want me to thaw the night before i bring em to him anyway. I have tried to contact him but it might be a day or so before he replys and I really dont have time to flesh and dry right now. Any tips from fur buyers or others that sell green? Thanks for any help.
shane

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Freezing fur ? [Re: shanemoss] #421464
11/20/07 09:55 AM
11/20/07 09:55 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I usually leave anything I'm going to freeze hanging on my clothesline overnight to cool and dry before freezing. But I see your in Ala. If you pile or fold up warm hides they can taint in the center. That fur keeps the center insulated and warm. If you have an old frig turn it all the way down. You can put your catch in there maybe lying flat and unfolded to cool. Then when you fold or roll up your hide it won't taint before freezing.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Freezing fur ? [Re: danny clifton] #421492
11/20/07 10:18 AM
11/20/07 10:18 AM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline OP
trapper
shanemoss  Offline OP
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
Thanks danny, I have the ones from yesterday in a bag in the fridge now. Im about to go check somemore and anything i catch I should also feridgerate before freezing? Gonna be 70 degrees here today. So once they are chilled, its ok to fold and freeze? Should i bag em seperate or what? Thanks for the help.
shane

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Freezing fur ? [Re: shanemoss] #421578
11/20/07 11:19 AM
11/20/07 11:19 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Don't bag your fur It will retain the heat. You should be able to tuck the tails In and lay your fur out flat on the shelvs In your freezer.Don't pile fur on top of fur untill the bottom layer Is frozen soild.
In the up right I use use the shelves were wide enough to lay two coon side by side It had 5 shelves so I could place 10 coon In It at a time. As long as your fur has been skinned and you keep It out of the sun and the wind you can let it hang for at least a day while your other fur Is freezing.
Make sure your fur Is dry before placing In the freezer so It won't stick. News paper or plastic bags could be placed to keep your fur off the cold suface. I think cardboard might just Insulate and not allow your fur to freezz as fast as It should.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Freezing fur ? [Re: The Beav] #421644
11/20/07 12:05 PM
11/20/07 12:05 PM
Ozarks of Missouri
BaldKnobber1 Offline
trapper
BaldKnobber1  Offline
trapper

Ozarks of Missouri
Separate the layers of furs with waxed paper. It won't insulate like trashbags, and it wont stick to wet hairs as mush as newspapaer or cardboard.

And its cheap. I bout two 18" 40' rolls at the dollar store last night. Same place I buy catchup bottles for coon paste (in the pocket, squirt squirt) sliding ziplock bags for yote poo, glands, beaver straps, chunk fish, etc, spritzer bottles for fish oil, and big tupperware for bait making, zipties for drownerbags, rubber gloves for skinnin, sardines and oysters and syrup for bait makin, etc etc tec. Love that dollar store for misc trappin supplies.

Q: What's a Baldknobber?
A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Knobbers
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91