Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4187916 - 12/20/13 01:20 PM best way you found keep traps from freezing up
ogletrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: illinois ogle county
a set where the trap is under the snow or dirt to keep it working in freezing weather have you found a way that works best for you..

#4187975 - 12/20/13 01:57 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
Peat moss is the best I have found for bedding and covering in freezing conditions.You can also use propylene glycol mixed with water in a spray bottle to mist over the layers while you bed.Dig your hole,spray,couple handfuls of peat,spray,bed the trap,spray,cover with peat spray,then a thin layer of peat to finish.That is what works best for me and it handles freeze thaws well.

#4187978 - 12/20/13 01:59 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
LoessHillsArcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Western IA
I have had good luck with peat - I use big nails to help bed the trap solid. Just remember to put a good layer of peat moss under the trap as well (otherwise the frame, jaws, and lever will freeze even... you pan may still move but nothing else will)

I think I'd like to try waxed dirt next year... but peat moss definitely works as well!

#4187992 - 12/20/13 02:10 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
I tried waxed dirt this year and didn't like it.I had issues with the top layer freezing.I'll stick with peat for the rest of the season...

#4188045 - 12/20/13 02:43 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper

Loc: Woodhull, Illinois 72
Waxed dirt for me.

#4189209 - 12/20/13 11:31 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
coyoteklr Offline
trapper

Loc: MT
I have used calcium chloride pellets for years ... it has never failed... teaspoon on dirt before bedding trap then cover trap with light dirt and half teaspoon on the dirt and light dusting of dirt over all...

#4189223 - 12/20/13 11:39 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
Trapperzanc Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
I use cotton under my pan,then I put a latex pan cover over the whole thing,then cover with wax dirt.

#4189450 - 12/21/13 06:51 AM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
jabNE Offline
trapper

Loc: Hickman, Nebraska
Her I use the peat moss, but also make sure where possible sets are placed in shady areas (behind hay bales, shaded side of pond dam, brushy areas, that sort of thing. If it is dry an the area stays frozen the dry material in trap cannot freeze and take out the trap. Managing moisture in freeze-thaw conditions is tough. I did find even on very cold days if the sun hit my set during day then freeze-thaw became a problem. Just keep em in a cold place and it helps, but bedding must be dry too. Dry dirt alone took on too much moisture for my liking. I have used peat moss, coal dust from local supplier, cover hulls, you name it. They all work to some extent, there is nothing completely bullet proof from freezing rain or ice, waxed dirt is very much at top of my list when I have a supply to use. Be sure to check after several days of no action to make everything still operates correctly. If levers or jaws freeze down you will have problems.
Jim

#4193157 - 12/22/13 07:28 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
WallyH Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Utah
I also try my best to set in the shade or north facing side if possible. This accomplishes a few things. It helps keep the snow from crusting as bad and helps keep the ground from thawing/freezing every day. I put sidewalk de icer in a blender and mix it into a fine powder then put it in one of those Nalgene drinking mugs with the sip spout with a snap lid. I dig trap bed, press my trap into it for a pattern, pull trap then I shake on the de icer, just where the jaws touch the ground. Then I line that with peat moss, place my trap, sprinkle peat moss, then and only then do I squeeze dirt up against the jaws in order to bed tight, but the dirt does not touch the iron, there is a fine layer of peat guarding it. Then if the trap is in a position I think might melt some from the sun or warmer weather, I might sprinkle a little more de icer over jaws, then sift full with peat moss, level out, sift fine layer of native dirt and blend over. I use polyfill batting under my pan, just the front portion, not a big wad at all.

This system takes a little time, but seems to keep my traps going through some pretty nasty changes in weather. By nasty I mean anything above freezing.

#4193226 - 12/22/13 07:52 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Waxed dirt,waxed sand,waxed peat,calcium chloride and so on, need to find what works for you.

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#4193711 - 12/22/13 11:55 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
skorittnig1977 Offline
trapper

Loc: WI, USA
I have been bedding with peat (under the trap), and waxed dirt on top. Reason being is the waxed dirt blends in with the surrounding area better for me.

#4193713 - 12/22/13 11:56 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
skorittnig1977 Offline
trapper

Loc: WI, USA
Your waxed dirt froze-- do you think it wasn't dry enough before waxing?

#4193888 - 12/23/13 06:58 AM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
pasteve81 Offline
trapper

Loc: freeland, PA
I've had same problem with traps freezing up until I went to lowes and bought a bale of peat moss (3cu ft) payed no more than $11. I redid all my sets and still have probably 2/3rds of it left. I've even set a trap off after a freezing night to make sure the trap went off. I believe using the flake antifreeze isn't really necessary if using the peat moss unless you want to cover the peat moss with a layer of dirt.

#4194176 - 12/23/13 10:20 AM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
barrington Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
buckwheat hulls and a frozen trap bed. I sometimes have to scrape a frozen crust off the hulls.If the beds melt or fill with water then I change out the hulls. I also import hulls from catch circles to put around other sets.

#4194393 - 12/23/13 12:50 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
CoonNfoxtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
I have been impressed this year with Peatmoss and Glycol I spray my levers real good with glycol and The bed

#4194514 - 12/23/13 02:08 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
jeff-patrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Western pa
I salt my bed with non iodized salt , bed trap real good , wax paper then buckwheat hulls with light sifting of dirt on top of hulls so they don't blow away. seems to work real well for me . salt can rust traps if not waxed good.

#4194846 - 12/23/13 04:54 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
NDduckslayer Offline
trapper

Loc: SE North Dakota
The easiest way is to leave them in the fur shed.

#4195175 - 12/23/13 07:12 PM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
cyacoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: paola,ks
went out and checked sets tonight. had freezing rain most of the weekend,
then 2 light layers of snow. top covering was soft, but the traps have
frozen down. 2 were done with glycol, 1 with calcium chloride, 2 with
waxed dirt. the ice just seeped in and coated everything. think it
diluted all of my choices. even the peat moss at my only cat set was solid.

going to dig traps out tomorrow, if i can, and re-do them all. tracks were
all over the place, so they are interested... probably missed the best run
i would have had in years IF the traps had not been frozen down tight. pans
dropped, but the jaws and levers are stuck. coated the beds before i placed
the traps even, so i am thinking the moisture diluted the attempts.

#4196592 - 12/24/13 11:11 AM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
Ringbill5196 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iron Range, Minnesota
Blind set buckwheat hulls and the bed pushed into the snow.

Dirt hole, wax dirt below, buckwheat hulls above.

Earlier I use peat.

In the past a thin grocery plastic bag on trail sets with trap inside pushed into snow bed.

This year, cold, cold, cold = below zero most every night and hasn't been above freezing in more than a month. Great conditions. Last year we had the rain, 35-40 deg snow, rain, freezing rain, on althernating days. Horrible and I have no idea how you middle lattitude trappers keep your sanity. More missed animals than caught.

When I lean my 250# onto a trowel on the pan and it doesn't go off that is what we call A SIGN.

#4198775 - 12/25/13 10:18 AM Re: best way you found keep traps from freezing up [Re: ogletrapper]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
I use the fiberglass screen covers with a very thin covering of peat. The thinner the better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie