Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#418901 - 11/18/07 05:05 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Drifter]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
Drifter wrote...
The hardest part for me was not getting up close and personal daily . Once I started checking from a distance until a catch was made my catch went up . I was making them wary of my set areas by more human activity then normal .

.....And yet we have those who just vehemently insist that human scent doesn't mean an iota to a modern day coyote.
Thanks for your experience Drifter!!! Ace

#419044 - 11/18/07 06:33 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Asa Lenon]
4ester Offline
trapper

Loc: NW, Pennsylvania
I maybe a little more guilty of this than I would like to admit. I will deffinately be more cognizant of this in the future. Thanks!

#419083 - 11/18/07 06:58 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: 4ester]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
You have red fox i imagine?

What drifter is talking about I think plays a much bigger role in coyote trapping than it would with a red fox, and don't matter a flip if dealing with grey fox.

I just think for whatever reason your trapping in an area that doesn't have very many target animals. With low population density's canines are alot tougher to catch than where there is one behind every bush, thus why Asa traps the way he does.

#419158 - 11/18/07 07:31 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Jtrapper]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

J Trapper:
Coyotes around my parts are of course way more wary of everything generally than red fox but those red fox can be little buggers at times too avoiding sets, digging at sets, digging out dirtholes from the backside, circlecing sets, etc. As you say, gray fox are different and more bold bargeing right into sets without hesitation, not wary of thick cover and obstructions to their view around sets, etc. Ace

#419432 - 11/18/07 09:11 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Asa Lenon]
cndgmn Offline
"Alphabet"

Loc: PA
Sounds like you might have some type of contamination somewhere to me.If you aren't doing it already try going with a small hole and a pattern no bigger than the trap bed.You can also pull a little bit of dry grass in around the edges and throw a few strands overtop and a little peat and dry grass in the hole as well.Basically make it look like something dug up a nest.

#419439 - 11/18/07 09:14 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: cndgmn]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Good idea cndgmn! The different odor of peat moss may be more readily accepted if it appears it was something natural and dug out of the ground by some critter. Ace

#419478 - 11/18/07 09:31 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Asa Lenon]
cndgmn Offline
"Alphabet"

Loc: PA
Careful,don't give me a big head.I have put a few canies on the stretcher with this set though.I've noticed alot of guys fall into the cookie cutter category-meanining you can tell its a trappers dirthole by looking.I tend to make all my dirtholes more rough and animal like,just because you dug a hole in the dirt doesn't mean it looks natural.

#419502 - 11/18/07 09:44 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Asa Lenon]
Marshrabbit Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern Va
I would thin also that the animals have shifted areas, they sure seem to have here. The "travelways", logging roads, farm roads, upland field crop lines and such that have produced for me for years are not doing very well right now. But, the low areas, with heavy brush, and fields that are close to swamp bottoms are producing better than ever.

#419561 - 11/18/07 10:16 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Marshrabbit]
Dan Allen Offline
trapper

Loc: Sykesville, PA
I want to add that while walking through an open pasture checking my sets between yesterday and today I kicked out about 8 mice. Those were just the ones I noticed so there were probably more. I think they are still eating the mice. I see trails worn down in high grass where they are hunting them. Give it a little time and when the food supply runs low due to cold they will be looking for anything and everything to eat. Also staying away from sets was a good comment. My catch went way up by staying away. If you have to look use binoculars. Could also be that maybe you are just using too much smell at one hole. I know a few people who swear by the "give them multiple things to sniff" idea but on my line two smells tops preferably one or else they avoid it. Plus Using urine on a dirthole to them means the hole is empty. Try not using urine except on certain flat sets and post sets. How often do you re-lure or bait. I wait about a week before I even go near my sets unless there is something in them or the trap is fired. Right now I am just using dry dirt I gathered before season pretty soon I will carry some waxed dirt as well and bed my trap in the regular dirt and pack it but put the waxed over the trap so there isn't frozen dirt for the trap to power out of just the waxed dirt. Keeps most of the water away and the waxed dirt doesn't freeze your trap in like regular dirt. Dan

#419694 - 11/19/07 05:20 AM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Dan Allen]
4ester Offline
trapper

Thanks guy's for all the ideas!

I don't use a real showy dirt hole. I generally have been just poking my stake driver in and moving it around a little, looks more like a mouse hole than anything. I like the idea of blending the pattern a little more though.

Maybe I will try doing my regular set and then do a blended, subtle set with no urine nearby and see what happens.

#420038 - 11/19/07 12:18 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: 4ester]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
For set "variation" you may want to consider the increased, initial visibility attraction provided with the Hay Set. Tim Wilcox has used it very successfully this season in a recent post. It and other variations of it can be found with a search.

Jonathan

#420308 - 11/19/07 04:05 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Jonathan]
4ester Offline
trapper

Jonathan,
I was thinking about trying a hay set. The one section of field has a food plot planted in it. The food plot is the only section of the field that is green. It is also a connecting point to a large power line. A hay set would stick out very nice there.

#420372 - 11/19/07 04:41 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: 4ester]
Bryton Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Where do you guys get your hay?

#420898 - 11/19/07 08:33 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: Bryton]
4ester Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Bryton
Where do you guys get your hay?

Local farms sell it for a couple bucks a bale.

#420911 - 11/19/07 08:37 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: 4ester]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
The drought killed our crop this year. Even straw is 5$ a bale here right now.

#420922 - 11/19/07 08:41 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: KYBOY]
4ester Offline
trapper

Wow! It was dry here this summer but not that bad.

#421025 - 11/19/07 09:21 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: 4ester]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
Do not wander from the education held in this thread before it wanders too far away to see.

Jonathan

#421076 - 11/19/07 09:44 PM Re: Problems with Peat Moss? [Re: 4ester]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
 Originally Posted By: 4ester
Wow! It was dry here this summer but not that bad.

I bout' cried when I had to buy straw the other day. Hay is real high to. Our ag dept has even had to set up a "hay hotline" to help farmers find enough for this winter. \:\(

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie