Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Fur handling Q -- Fat pockets left on coon pelt?? #417493
11/17/07 04:12 PM
11/17/07 04:12 PM
Connecticut
Mystic Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
Mystic Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper

Connecticut
I thought I did a pretty good job fleshing my first coon, but after two days drying I see fat pockets on the skin. Can I scrape these with a spoon to get the grease off? Thanks.

Re: Fur handling Q -- Fat pockets left on coon pelt?? [Re: Mystic Wildlife] #417705
11/17/07 07:59 PM
11/17/07 07:59 PM
newton, il. 47yrs
D
dirthole67 Offline
trapper
dirthole67  Offline
trapper
D

newton, il. 47yrs
yes you can, make sure you use a dull scraper you dont want to tear the leather.

Re: Fur handling Q -- Fat pockets left on coon pelt?? [Re: dirthole67] #417744
11/17/07 08:32 PM
11/17/07 08:32 PM
perryville/missouri
T
threestud Offline
trapper
threestud  Offline
trapper
T

perryville/missouri
the fur buyer will some times call you on it if you dont get it off the fur will try to slip {slipper}fur

Re: Fur handling Q -- Fat pockets left on coon pelt?? [Re: dirthole67] #417747
11/17/07 08:35 PM
11/17/07 08:35 PM
Tarentum Pa.
L
Lunch with monk Offline
trapper
Lunch with monk  Offline
trapper
L

Tarentum Pa.
How long have you had them on the stretcher? Is the fat you are seeing around the neck? If the fat is around the neck and there is a little bit that is behind the gristle, I usually leave that dry on the hide, and when I prep my furs for selling, I remove it by scraping from the tail towards the head with a single handled scraper. I get it started a little and pull the grisle off with channle locks or visegrips.
Make sure your furs are drying evenly. If it is just a little bid of fat let the hide dry some until the leather starts to harden. I use a 1 handled scraper for touch-up work at this point. I also have a plastic putty knife that I rounded the corners off of, and an old kitchen tool that I think was used for poaching eggs. Whatever you do, don't over scrape.
Sometimes I let small amounts of fat just grease up and scrub it off with newspaper. Don't over concern yourself with it. The most important thing is you have a good stretch and a clean hide on the stretcher that is drying evenly.
Picture would help.

The metal butcher
Re: Fur handling Q -- Fat pockets left on coon pelt?? [Re: Lunch with monk] #418281
11/18/07 08:05 AM
11/18/07 08:05 AM
Connecticut
Mystic Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
Mystic Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper

Connecticut
It's been on the stretcher for around four days now. The leather is dry, but the bits of fat (which looks like white marble on a steak) is not. It's mainly around the back of the neck, with some at the base of the tail. I scraped some off yesterday and those areas seemed to by drying better. The worst spot is at the base of the tail. I worked harder on scraping that, so I hope the hair don't slip. I'm guessing it's easier to remove the fat at fleshing time. Sorry, no pics because I lost my camera. Thanks everyone.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91