Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Topic Options
Hop to:
#4168175 - 12/11/13 02:22 AM Question about Putting up Red Fox
jimeswa Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
If this is in the wrong topic location please delete this and let me know where to ask this question. I have caught 3 red fox this year and was told to skin them like a yote. Did that but my question is after fleshing how much front legs do I leave on the fur? I think its a fox and they are beautiful so they want the red to black socks on them. I've put two up already got a third to skin in the morning and don't want to produce the wrong fur. The legs seem to stick out so much I'm afraid I have made a mistake.

#4168177 - 12/11/13 02:28 AM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
FOXCATCHER Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Indiana
Leave about an inch- 1 1/2 inches on the pelt. Just enough that when on the stretcher in don't leave a big hole but not much sticks out either. Is that clear as mud??

Don

#4168180 - 12/11/13 02:31 AM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#4168310 - 12/11/13 06:40 AM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
Dr. Beaver Offline
trapper

Loc: NW North Dakota
The legs shouldn't stick out of the pelt. When you turn the pelt fur-out, the legs should be tucked inside the pelt. That's why their length won't really matter. Shorter legs usually dry better though. Like Foxcatcher said, 1.5 inches is good.

#4169505 - 12/11/13 05:59 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
jimeswa Offline
trapper

Sweet thanks

#4169637 - 12/11/13 06:46 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
You can leave them as long as you want.Just leave them inside when you turn the pelt fur out.

#4170323 - 12/11/13 11:27 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
jimeswa Offline
trapper

I made a mistake on the very first one I did and left them out thinking along the lines of the Nevada style bobcat fur put up. I hope that I will not be docked in the grading due it. Live and learn I guess.

#4170338 - 12/11/13 11:45 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
FOXCATCHER Offline
trapper

You wont get docked but you run the risk of them ripping the pelt.

Don

#4174412 - 12/14/13 12:23 AM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
jimeswa Offline
trapper

Should I try to cut them off short???

#4174431 - 12/14/13 01:27 AM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
FOXCATCHER Offline
trapper

Not if they are already dry or partly dry. They will be fine.

Don

#4175192 - 12/14/13 03:04 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: jimeswa
Should I try to cut them off short???

If it were me, I'd cut them...and if you do, a pair of sharp shears will do a fine job.
Another trick I can tell you is this:

Unless you're trying to dry in cold temps, a fox shouldn't be 'skin side out' for more than 24-36 hours, if that.
Anymore isn't needed and if it's too dry, it will be hard to turn.
If it's not sticky and dry to the touch, it's good enough to turn fur side out and put back on the stretcher.
When you do turn it, take a wad of newspaper and stuff it inside the foxes head area.
About the size of a softball, or slightly smaller is the size you want.
This will cause the head to finish drying to that form and make the head shape and ears perk up!
This simple trick, gives the finished pelt a much nicer look.
Brush the fur up backward,toward the head and leave it.
Now when you go to sell it, simply take the pelt by the nose and 'gently' shake it.
The fur will fluff up and go back to it's natural shape.
Don't forget to take your index and middle finger and run up the tail, from tip toward the pelt a few times>
This fluffs up the tail, giving it a nicer look.
Fox fur sells by 'looks', don't let anyone tell you different!

#4175741 - 12/14/13 07:51 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
LLtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Pottawatamie co. IA
I add a lathe as a belly board width wise when I stretch fox on wire. Same with yotes and cats. It will let air flow better. LL

#4175749 - 12/14/13 07:55 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: LLtrapper]
FOXCATCHER Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: LLtrapper
I add a lathe as a belly board width wise when I stretch fox on wire. Same with yotes and cats. It will let air flow better. LL

Mink boards work better and pull double duty in the fur shed. I do it for coyotes and foxes.

Don

#4175797 - 12/14/13 08:18 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
LLtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Pottawatamie co. IA
My boards are not that long I guess but it would be the same principle. LLL

#4176027 - 12/14/13 10:03 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Put your belly board In from the mouth end It lets the head dry better. And your fox will come off the board better. Then after 2 days I take It off the board and hang by the nose. The mouth will be wide open and It will dry a lot better with the mouth open and the hide off the board.
Brushing the hair against the grain Is a good Idea. When the fur drys It gives you that fuller look.

#4177945 - 12/15/13 09:01 PM Re: Question about Putting up Red Fox [Re: jimeswa]
Hern Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsyltucky
No front legs...
(L. to R.) Grey, Red, Coyote

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30