No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#4172935 - 12/13/13 10:34 AM Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama
sgtg8tor Offline
trapper

Loc: Alabama
I have a question,

Is it legal to transport live muskrat from north Alabama or other states in order to repopulate them in South Alabama?
How would I catch them live? Have a heart cage traps?

Thanks,
Gary

#4172972 - 12/13/13 10:49 AM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
First of all you got to ask yourself why don't we have rats now.

#4172978 - 12/13/13 10:53 AM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
sgtg8tor Offline
trapper

I really don't know, just across the state line due west about 15 miles there are plenty in Mississippi along the coastal river system. I used to drive over the Pascagoula bridge on I-10 and you could see the knee high grass dens they built, but not here for some reason.

#4173090 - 12/13/13 11:48 AM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
watermann2 Online   content
trapper

Loc: catskill mnts, New York
Lots of things can effect 'rat populations. Hawks and eagles having perch trees is just one . Maybe you have a good Bobcat population ? Gators ?

Edited by watermann2 (12/13/13 11:48 AM)

#4173093 - 12/13/13 11:50 AM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
Rye Offline
trapper

Loc: havelock, NC
as a general rule it is illegal to relocate wildlife...

#4173104 - 12/13/13 11:55 AM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
sgtg8tor Offline
trapper

I have trapped them before in North AL. There isn't a big gator population in the ponds and lakes north of the coast line, we do have an abundace of hawks and cats.

#4173111 - 12/13/13 11:58 AM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
They've cracked down on transport laws in recent years so id advise against it. Secondly as was stated the southern half of our state is void of muskrats for a reason, what they may be is anyone's guess. Between the huge amounts of snapping turtles, gator's, snakes, hawks, eagles, osprey, owls, etc, etc. you can pick your poison, they just don't exist in that part of the state and probably never will even if you released some.

The northern part of our state had large numbers of them when I first got into trapping in the very early 80's as my traveling fur buyer at the time would have huge stacks of them in his truck when he would stop to buy my fur and all were coming not 40 miles north of me yet where I lived they were far and few between, I caught 12 one season and that was the most I ever caught in a single season, 10 of those came out of one lake though!

#4173121 - 12/13/13 12:01 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
sgtg8tor Offline
trapper

Thanks for the info J, I may talk to my area biologist and get his take on the situation also. It just puzzled me why they were 15 miles away but not a single one on this side of the state line. Maybe their green cards were pulled grin

#4179928 - 12/16/13 08:31 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
Old Relic Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest, Alabama
To catch muskrats alive, I used to do it with colony traps set in shallow weedy water trails. Set the cage where the top is above water where they can get air to breath. I would cover the traps over with weeds to hide the catch from hawks and such. I learned the hard way to handle the cages with pliers or put handles on them, when you have rats in them. Also, don't tip the cage up where the door will open. A rat can run out of that open door and into your lap faster than you can think about it.

#4179941 - 12/16/13 08:36 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
If you ever got permission to do your live muskrat project, the small model Comstock traps are what you would want to use...a bit more expensive trap and your only getting one at a time but you would have much less refusals than trying to use colony traps set to catch them live.

#4180014 - 12/16/13 09:02 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
warrior Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/Muskrat_Traps/WCSFMT2.html

Might get some ideas from this one, click on the pdf instructions file.

#4180015 - 12/16/13 09:02 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
Wesley Offline
trapper

I actually caught one in a swamp in Dale county once. Managed to get him in a dam crossover in a 330. I have always wondered if there were more in that swamp or if he was a loner. One day when I can go back I intend to put some sets out for em there.

#4180024 - 12/16/13 09:04 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
warrior Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Another thing, if you do this relocating within the state is the way to go. Crossing state lines is not only against state regs but drags in the feds as well and the lacey act is nothing to fool with.

Edited by warrior (12/16/13 09:05 PM)

#4181020 - 12/17/13 12:09 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
sgtg8tor Offline
trapper

I really appreciate the feed back guys, I am going to talk with Justin Monk this week in Citronelle and see if I can get this going. I would refrain from trapping them for a year or 2 if I get to release some. I have a couple of private land beaver ponds where they would be protected. If I get a go ahead with this I will not turn down help from anyone in catching them in North Alabama.

Thanks!

#4181053 - 12/17/13 12:23 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: sgtg8tor
I really appreciate the feed back guys, I am going to talk with Justin Monk this week in Citronelle and see if I can get this going. I would refrain from trapping them for a year or 2 if I get to release some. I have a couple of private land beaver ponds where they would be protected. If I get a go ahead with this I will not turn down help from anyone in catching them in North Alabama.

Thanks!

Sounds like a cool project. Good luck. Getting with the areas wildlife biologist seems like the logical first step.

"It takes a hard head and a strong back to scratch a living out of the land"

#4181381 - 12/17/13 03:49 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
Cheaha Offline
trapper

I actually asked one of the delta biologists that very question a few weeks ago! He said they used to be here and the biologists are not 100% sure why they are no longer. He said the resurgence of the alligator and raptor population, plus the immigration of the nutria, is their best explanation for their demise.

#4182018 - 12/17/13 08:32 PM Re: Repopulating Muskrat in Alabama [Re: sgtg8tor]
sgtg8tor Offline
trapper

I can go with that, nutria and gators. The gators have multiplied but I do remember a nutria rodeo on the causeway and there were hundreds brought in, I haven't even seen one since I moved back 18 months ago. The gators are plentiful and I don't think the tag system is working because there should be more issued and everyone is looking for a huge record when females need to be targeted.