No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#4144781 - 11/29/13 11:20 PM Small female mink vs full grown muskrat
Minkener Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
I'm curious what your opinions are about a female mink's ability to kill a healthy full grown muskrat.

I mainly work with ranch mink, so my females average about the same as a smaller wild male mink. When at hunting weight, and with an empty belly, most of the female ranch mink I've worked with weigh between 700-900 grams. From the studies I've read, most wild female mink average around 500-600 grams. Now my 800 gram ranch females don't have the slightest problem taking down a muskrat that weighs over 1200 grams, but I wonder about the wild female mink. They are so much smaller than the ranch females.

What do you guys think? Could a little 500 gram mink really take down 1200 gram muskrats on a regular basis? I fully realize that this is more of an opinion question than a question I expect to get a straight answer for.

#4144785 - 11/29/13 11:23 PM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
Law Dog Online   content
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Take into consideration a mink knows how to kill and muskrat can bite but is not as skilled!

Jerry Herbst

#4144790 - 11/29/13 11:30 PM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
trapper les Online   content
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
I think that the wild mink is gonna naturally be tougher,and I think any wild mink can probably take any muskrat,and they are amazingly quick.I will give you an example of toughness in mink--when I was young,say 5 or 6, I remember my dad and the neighbor going around breaking necks for all the neaghboring mink ranches,and every once in a while you'ed see one come back to life in a wheelbarrow full of mink-rubbernecks,we called them,and it didnt happen all that often.Dad told me that wild mink are much harder to kill than tame.The life they lead makes them much stronger and they have to kill for a living.

Les

#4144792 - 11/29/13 11:32 PM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Law Dog]
Minkener Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Take into consideration a mink knows how to kill and muskrat can bite but is not as skilled!

Oh yes, I fully know that. Mink instinctively know how to attack and kill a muskrat, even when it's their first time ever seeing one. They definitely get better with practice, but they are born knowing the basics. Plus a mink moves so much quicker than a muskrat that it's almost like watching the movie 'The Matrix'

Even if you've watched this video before, it's worth watching again! This is just a quick short clip of my mink catching and dispatching a muskrat in slow motion.

http://youtu.be/MqMbrrXmISs

Edited by Minkener (11/30/13 12:30 AM)

#4144804 - 11/29/13 11:48 PM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
trapper les Online   content
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
That an amazing clip!

#4144826 - 11/30/13 12:14 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
lots of mink Offline
trapper

Loc: saskatchewan/canada
If the rat is in deep water or has his back in tight against something he has a chance. In shallow water like in the clip above a small mink could take out a rat.

#4144837 - 11/30/13 12:35 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: lots of mink]
Minkener Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: lots of mink
If the rat is in deep water or has his back in tight against something he has a chance. In shallow water like in the clip above a small mink could take out a rat.

None of the mink I've had will even chase a muskrat in water deeper than a foot. The same mink will take a cornered muskrat head on, and without hesitation. But put that same mink and muskrat in a stream with a foot of water in it, and the mink won't even chase the muskrat. She'll just watch the muskrat swim by.

I did read someone on here claim they saw a mink take a swimming muskrat, and I want to hear more about it, as this is something my mink haven't yet attempted, let alone succeeded at.

#4144838 - 11/30/13 12:38 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: trapper les]
Minkener Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: trapper les
That an amazing clip!

Thanks! Even when you take a mink hunting every day, it's a special treat to see a capture like this.... let alone to actually get it on film! A lot of the action in minkenry happens where you can't see it, or it happens in the blink of an eye, and you're supper lucky if you get ANY OF IT on film!

#4144847 - 11/30/13 12:57 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
lots of mink Offline
trapper

Loc: saskatchewan/canada
Marty Stouffers wild america has lots of footage of mink swimming and hunting in and below the water. He followed a family of them (he said) and filmed them, they swam like otters.

#4144856 - 11/30/13 01:16 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
gooser Offline
trapper

Loc: NE Ohio
t is one of the coolest things I have ever saw !!! I LOVE mink , by far one of my fav animals !!! I had a ferret once that I had to get rid of because it bit my wife at the time through her finger nail ..lol id love to have a mink !!

srry got excited ..lol..
I have found a few ducks with the main artery behind the skull ripped open and im pretty sure they were mink kills , I think they will attack as the opportunity's arise , but I have caught a few small females around rat feed beds so in my opinion I don't see why she couldn't take a rat

#4144924 - 11/30/13 05:26 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
Big Skunk Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
Minkener, I have watched what you are taking about. A medium size rat in the water and a female mink on the bank. The rat would
puff up and look big and then charge at the mink. That was done a half dozen times. The mink gave up and ran off.

#4145043 - 11/30/13 07:28 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
foxtrpr Offline
trapper

Loc: Hamburg NY
Mink wins! I watched a weasel kill a cottontail took him a bit but got it done.

#4145187 - 11/30/13 09:26 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Be careful If you hunt your mink In SD. There Is a guy that calls himself THE FOX and he say's all the rats he catches In SD are at least 6 lbs. So be careful LOL

#4145196 - 11/30/13 09:33 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
MJM Offline
trapper

Loc: ND
I was tracking a mink on the ice and seen where he caught and killed a swan with a broke wing tip. He snuck up on it behind some cattails and jumped on it. Once he had ahold, the swan never got loose. They covered a pretty big area flopping around. Both male and female whistling swans will weigh between 10 and 18 pounds. I know they can not bite like a muskrat, but I am sure that it takes more to kill a swan then a muskrat. The number of times that mink was slammed on the ice would have made most things turn loose. I feel, if a mink can get ahold of a muskrat there is little chance of it getting loose alive.

#4145241 - 11/30/13 10:10 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
Magnum21 Offline
trapper

Loc: Furport, Wa.
Great videos Minkener! Impressive work.

#4145245 - 11/30/13 10:12 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: Minkener]
Trapset Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
Mink are TUUUUUF at any size!

#4145335 - 11/30/13 11:40 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: lots of mink]
Minkener Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: lots of mink
Marty Stouffers wild america has lots of footage of mink swimming and hunting in and below the water. He followed a family of them (he said) and filmed them, they swam like otters.

Yeah, I've seen that documentary. They are released ranch mink he is following. I am working on putting together some underwater footage of my current mink fishing. She absolutely LOVES to catch fish, and is really good at it. The first video in this set of mink hunting clips is a video I made years ago of my first hunting mink learning to catch fish in a fish tank...

http://youtu.be/smpsEQaCbBU

#4145340 - 11/30/13 11:46 AM Re: Small female mink vs full grown muskrat [Re: MJM]
Minkener Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: MJM
I was tracking a mink on the ice and seen where he caught and killed a swan with a broke wing tip. He snuck up on it behind some cattails and jumped on it. Once he had ahold, the swan never got loose. They covered a pretty big area flopping around. Both male and female whistling swans will weigh between 10 and 18 pounds. I know they can not bite like a muskrat, but I am sure that it takes more to kill a swan then a muskrat. The number of times that mink was slammed on the ice would have made most things turn loose. I feel, if a mink can get ahold of a muskrat there is little chance of it getting loose alive.

My current mink attacked a duck submarine style a week ago. She had been chasing muskrats all day with out any luck. Near the end of our hunt she looked out and saw a duck floating out on the lake. She then held her breath, and dipped under the water. I thought to myself "Is she doing what I think she's doing?" and sure enough the duck on the lake started flopping around and quacking. It towed her half way across the lake before it kicked her off. Then on Thanksgiving day she snuck up on a goose that was standing on the shore, and grabbed it by the neck.

Mink are sneaky little predators! When you go hunting with a mink, you never know what you're going to get!