Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Topic Options
Hop to:
#4127553 - 11/21/13 01:27 PM Setting up around deer carcass?
macshealth Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Pa.
I have been trapping a area that shows good signs of yotes and fox. I did trap a male yote 9 days ago in a dirt hole. I had six different locations setup besides the one that nailed the male, and nothing has been inspecting these sets for 3 weeks. Yesterday, I drove around the bottom of this area and found a dead 4 point buck with its ribs and neck all ate out, also yote tracks all around the carcass. I set up a flat set with a hole punched into a grass mound about 10 feet away from the dead deer (not much top soil in this old coal strip land). I only used lure in the hole GHII and yodel dog gland lure. My question is how would you set up around this carcass? Would you set several sets? Would a walk through be a good choice? I know this dead deer is the reason they have not been checking out my sets. What about later in the season, I'm sure that carcass will still be there. Should I keep trapping around it? Let me know what you journeymen trappers would do with this situation. Thanks

Edited by macshealth (11/21/13 02:57 PM)

#4128087 - 11/21/13 06:18 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
I would go with LOTS of snares (cable restraints) on the trails leading to and away from the deer

#4128101 - 11/21/13 06:22 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
MT bowhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: mt
kirk is right on the money. I don't know what pa. regs say but in MT we cannot set within 50 feet of an exposed bait.

#4128189 - 11/21/13 06:56 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: MT bowhunter]
DanN Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Just wait till you get some snow and that deer will be feeding every critter within 2 miles.

#4128362 - 11/21/13 07:51 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
SLAMMER Offline
trapper

Loc: NW PA
In PA thats a touchy subject, bait is not supposed to be visible from the air.

I took the cable restraint course this summer and a Warden said not to set on trails leading to carcasses because it could be considered exposed bait. Warden's discretion could vary greatly though.

#4128720 - 11/21/13 09:36 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: MT bowhunter]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
Originally Posted By: MT bowhunter
kirk is right on the money. I don't know what pa. regs say but in MT we cannot set within 50 feet of an exposed bait.

Actually it is 30'

I thought in PA you couldn't set anywhere near bait? 10' doesn't sound right.to be honest,I wouldn't do it if it were legal.Our 30' rule is to close to avoid problems.

#4128824 - 11/21/13 10:27 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
MT bowhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: mt
Thanks for the clarification Taximan. I don't run into that often so I guess I am not as up on it as I should be.

#4128863 - 11/21/13 10:48 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
Well,that's what the book says but 50' or more is better.I've seen eagle tracks in the snow around a carcass,where they had been pacing,as much as 30 yds out.You are fine.Less than 30' would be the issue.

In the case of this thread,I don't think 10' would be remotely legal from all the stuff I've heard here about PA.Hopefully some knowledgeable PA trappers will give macshealth some detailed information he can work with.

#4129163 - 11/22/13 06:43 AM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
TigerLand Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I set up around deer carcasses with flat sets, urine posts, rub sets with castor and dirt holes. I also hang snares on all the trails leading to and from the carcass as Kirk stated. I do not set very close to the carcass. Probably 25-30 ft away. If you set up footholds too close your going to catch birds of prey. It's easy to catch critters at gut piles or dump piles. But it's just as easy to catch them away from that carcass where you don't have to worry about hawks, eagles and buzzards. Be smart and protect our rights to trap. Never know if a hippie is going to be walking around trespassing with a camera.

#4129828 - 11/22/13 12:56 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
gkraft Offline
trapper

Loc: Timber Lake, SD
In South Dakota its 30 feet also. I've set a few carcasses and always go more than 30 feet. Many times I see eagles sitting in the trees around a dead deer. Also, a dead deer here only lasts a day or two before its gone.
2/10 Badgers
0/2 Bobcat
0/5 Red Fox
0/10 Beaver

#4129875 - 11/22/13 01:18 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
When snareing bait stations you don't want your snares to close to the bait anyway. It's been my experience that setting snares close to bait usually results in knocked down snares, coyotes slow down and are very cautious and aware when coming into bait. I want them moving with a purpose when they hit my snares.

#4129936 - 11/22/13 01:54 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
LoessHillsArcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Western IA
Here in IA we have a similar law about setting within a certain distancne of exposed bait. I believe it is 25ft... regardless I usually stick to at least 25yds. I've seen way too many eagles/hawks sitting 30-40ft away from a carcass.

One thing that works well for us is to find a place in a cattle pasture where a few fences intersect and place the carcass near there. Snare where the animals crawl under the fence. Or place carcass in thick brush and snare the trails leading to it.

#4130357 - 11/22/13 06:07 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
coydog2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
IA is 20ft away from exposed bait I just check the laws to make sure and setting snare just over the 20ft and you will be good to go. Need to check your state laws on that and then set with in the law.I have found a dead deer in the brush and got 3 coyotes in snares and is set with in the law and no problem with any birds.

#4130625 - 11/22/13 08:25 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
Puppy Creek Offline
trapper

Loc: Raeford, NC
I am crushing possums and coons on a deer carcass right now!!! No yotes or foxes yet, I do have a lot of scent on it though from picking it up and carrying/dragging it, and wiring it to the tree. I have a few dirt holes baited with pieces of meat from the carcass on the trails leading to it. I caught a possum this morning on a dirt hole with nothing but a tuft of fur stuffed down it. I also buried the carcass in pine needles and replace them every morning if they are disturbed too much- that bright white deer belly is obvious from the sky, and I don't want anything touching down on a pan.

Isaiah 41:10

#4130645 - 11/22/13 08:34 PM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
pipewelder Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Kentucky
I know a fella that snared a mature golden eagle..setting to close to a carcass pile. I would set on trails leading in to the area.

#4131055 - 11/23/13 05:03 AM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
SULLDOG Offline
trapper

Loc: pennsylvania
dont risk setting right on that carcass , illegal in pa to use any animal parts visible from the air, protects birds of prey.

now, as for setting the carcass alone, i dont think it is attractive enough to make it a frequent check, mature yote invading and trying to establish territory is more interesting then the meal itself at this point.

scout where you believe are the trails being used to access this area and put in scent posts, i like fallen trees better then a stick in the ground, looks more natural. play the west wind crossing line of travel suspected of the k9, off set a trap bout a foot back, inside the log or limb try and secure a cotton ball and hit it with coyote urine, other sets use coyote lure.

in most cases, a yote has marked this area with urine n scat, find that , put a set, NO HOLE! Flat or post or walk thru, urine and lure......this will get more frequent set checks then the carcass alone.

please let us know how you did. catch um!

#4131105 - 11/23/13 06:26 AM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
sasqatch67 Offline
trapper

Loc: michigan
I tryed some dirt sets around a doe carcass last year #4s 10 ft from carcass nothing other than that got 2 yotes and a red fox. placed a hay bale set there after the carcass was gone and pulled another red fox , never tryed a snare on a carcass here in MI.

#4131280 - 11/23/13 09:28 AM Re: Setting up around deer carcass? [Re: macshealth]
Andy n Dutch Offline
trapper

Loc: Suffolk, Va
I think its a good law. We just passed a new regulation like that in VA this year, 50'. A bobcat chewing on the back end of a buck I shot was what made me curious about trapping to begin with... now I'm hooked. I set around a few roadkill deer I found last year and dragged into the woods.... got some grinners and a couple of things I didn't want/need.... so to me it makes sense.

I would focus on the known yote trails... If you can find a trail leading under a fence or around a log or through some tall grass.... any of those would be great places for a snare.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie