Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Topic Options
Hop to:
#4127531 - 11/21/13 01:09 PM Cold weather and coons
Sam86 Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Got a property that I can trap and they are seeing 4-6 coins a night every night on their trail cams for deer but I can't trap until they are done hunting which they said will be about the end of December, at what temps do coon normally stop? I live in the Wichita ks area

9 coon (1 stolen by a dog)
5 skunks
5 possum

#4128036 - 11/21/13 05:59 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Can you pre-bait them, say, cheap dog feed or calf pellets ?
If you had a 'creep feeder' or one made out of PVC, you could trap in some pretty cold weather...

#4128077 - 11/21/13 06:15 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Sticknstring Offline
trapper

Loc: Southcentral PA
Not to highjack, but Is it legal to bait them in like that in PA? I cant find anything on it. And if so, what is the best thing to use other than corn? I have some big pvc pipe to use as a feeder, but dont want to use corn in case someone is planning to hunt deer nearby. I fear that the lack of coon movement is going to continue to leave my traps empty unless something changes. And the weather looks cold, so i think baiting is a good way to bring them in. But dunno if its illegal.

#4128131 - 11/21/13 06:35 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Sam86 Offline
trapper

I don't know about pa but ks it is, best thing to do when you are unsure is to call the GW and ask him. Lt Grey, so as long as they have a constant food source you think they will still travel even in the teens?

5 skunks
5 possum

#4128142 - 11/21/13 06:40 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Sam86 Offline
trapper

Oh lt grey they are already baiting them for me, the pictures they are getting are of them trying to clime their feeder and eating corn

5 skunks
5 possum

#4128198 - 11/21/13 07:00 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Sam86
I don't know about pa but ks it is, best thing to do when you are unsure is to call the GW and ask him. Lt Grey, so as long as they have a constant food source you think they will still travel even in the teens?

I don't 'think it', I know they will...
Now, when the 'rut' comes in they will still travel, but breeding will be on their minds over food.
Your locations will change too. Denning site to denning site and the trails in between...

#4128288 - 11/21/13 07:26 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Sam86 Offline
trapper

Roger dodge...

5 skunks
5 possum

#4131183 - 11/23/13 07:57 AM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
Sam here's a link to what I have done this year. I have nine additional feeders out now prepping for December 2nd, and I rebaited Friday. They were all cleaned out with the happiest site ever, claw marks on the bucket. I set all of these bait sites close to dens, old farm buildings or brush piles. The coons don't seem to travel far when it gets cold, but if you give them a free meal they will come. I haven't posted this latest picture on my thread, but it was just taken this week on my established feeder. Despite full moon, teens for temperature and an ice storm these coon still found their way to the feeder.

Here's the link to my post:

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4128659/1

Here's the picture from this week.

#4131252 - 11/23/13 09:00 AM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Cooncaller Offline
trapper

Loc: NE Nebraska, U.S.
Murse's method works!!! I always wanted to prebait coon, but always had a difficult idea and spendy idea in my mind. THe 5 gallon bucket is cheap and easy. In addition, When season opened, I filled the buckets half full again and set 4-6 traps around it. I did this because I figured if traps were full, coons would eat and return the next night for the traps. I kept the traps 10' or so away from the bucket.

One good point to keep in mind and I got this from watching Randy Smith's video, Boars gone Wild, when it turns cold think food to bed and get in between and right by the dens.
0-25 Mink
7-100 Muskrats
0-1 Bobcat
16-50 Beaver

#4131297 - 11/23/13 09:43 AM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Cooncaller]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Cooncaller
Murse's method works!!! I always wanted to prebait coon, but always had a difficult idea and spendy idea in my mind. THe 5 gallon bucket is cheap and easy. In addition, When season opened, I filled the buckets half full again and set 4-6 traps around it. I did this because I figured if traps were full, coons would eat and return the next night for the traps. I kept the traps 10' or so away from the bucket.

One good point to keep in mind and I got this from watching Randy Smith's video, Boars gone Wild, when it turns cold think food to bed and get in between and right by the dens.

Glad to hear it worked! How many were you pulling from your feeders? Feel free to throw them up on my post if you took any pics. So far they have been nothing but good for me. I'm anxious to set 10 around that established feeder come December 2nd and see how many I can take in one night.

#4131397 - 11/23/13 10:52 AM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Sam86 Offline
trapper

Will do thanks a bunch, do you suggest I get a trail cam?

5 skunks
5 possum

#4131411 - 11/23/13 11:01 AM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Sam86
Will do thanks a bunch, do you suggest I get a trail cam?

I just had a few I used for deer, and I wanted to watch them. I started in July, and was told by a number of people that the coons would stop coming when the corn was out, it got colder, etc. So once I got started I ran those four all the way through now. They have done nothing but increase at my sites. Honestly three weeks before you want to catch coons is more than enough time to get them accustomed to coming to your sites. So if you want a trail cam to watch go for it, it's a great learning tool to watch their approaches and behavior. I will suggest however many you have on camera at one time set a few more traps there. One of my feeders the most I had was 6 coons in one picture. I pulled 8 from there the first night.

#4131439 - 11/23/13 11:24 AM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Sam86 Offline
trapper

I found I den tree this morning setting traps on a new places I got, I even shot a coon running up the den tree, I put 2 dps there, do you think a bait bucket would be helpful or should I just run traps only?

5 skunks
5 possum

#4131475 - 11/23/13 11:48 AM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
G-Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: north west missouri
I had 3 this morning on drowners they were moving last night and was a wind chill of 7 above this morning, cold weather really doesn't stop them too much at lest I don't think it will . now heavy snow will den them up for a bit and they love rain just my 2 cents.

#4131796 - 11/23/13 03:40 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Sam86]
Roby36 Offline
trapper

Loc: Hardin County,Ohio
I asked this on the baiting thread, then realized it was kinda old, So do you guys think its too late for me to set up these bait stations? I live in Ohio and its suppose to get cold tonight and stay cold for at least this week so they have pretty much held up. Will this help with getting them active or do I need to establish them before the cold weather. Thanks
Coyote 4/1
Rat 2/8
Mink 0/2

#4132359 - 11/23/13 08:30 PM Re: Cold weather and coons [Re: Roby36]
Sam86 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Roby36
I asked this on the baiting thread, then realized it was kinda old, So do you guys think its too late for me to set up these bait stations? I live in Ohio and its suppose to get cold tonight and stay cold for at least this week so they have pretty much held up. Will this help with getting them active or do I need to establish them before the cold weather. Thanks

X2 that question

5 skunks
5 possum

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30