No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#4110682 - 11/12/13 12:23 PM how big is a coons territory ?
forest dweller Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
I am wanting to know because my neighbors are all saying they have coons on their property, but I have never seen one at any time on my property which is only a few hundred yards from the nearest neighbor, and I have not seen any sign. I guess I want the luxury of trapping my own property now and then.

#4110765 - 11/12/13 01:23 PM Re: how big is a coons territory ? [Re: forest dweller]
feldnerpa Offline
trapper

Loc: Fond du lac, WI

coon - 16/30
rats - 6/50
mink - 0/12
Bobcat - no luck/1
Wolf - no luck/1

Bonus

Beaver 1

#4110820 - 11/12/13 02:01 PM Re: how big is a coons territory ? [Re: forest dweller]
TrappinWI Offline
trapper

Loc: South East, WI
Thanks for posting that feldner. I'll watch the whole thing later.

Just because your hear hooves, don't start think'n Zebra's.

#4110851 - 11/12/13 02:18 PM Re: how big is a coons territory ? [Re: forest dweller]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
the urban coons have a 5 times smaller range than suburban or rural coon, I figure it has a lot to do with food availability

if your neighbors leave dog food on the back step every night the coon eat there and stay there then they may never get over to your house where you don't leave food out.

I saw the fattest coon i have ever seen a week ago , it was making it's way from the front yard of a house to the woods across the road i figure they leave food out.

I figure coon are generally lazy and stay close to the food till it gets scarce

i think with enough food availability you could get a rural coon down to the same small range as the city coon

#4110853 - 11/12/13 02:21 PM Re: how big is a coons territory ? [Re: forest dweller]
travelintinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Clio,Michigan 33 yrs. old
.25 of a mile to 20 miles depending on habitat

#4110938 - 11/12/13 03:17 PM Re: how big is a coons territory ? [Re: forest dweller]
forest dweller Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
Thanks for the info guys.