No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4106003 - 11/09/13 09:27 PM Leaning pole set for coon
madminker Offline
trapper

Loc: Gladstone, Michigan
Does or has any body used leaning pole sets for coon with much success?

#4106021 - 11/09/13 09:35 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Tried it in a dog heavy area before d/p's came out. 220's on a pole set. Only thing I ever caught was squirrels.

That's not to say you won't catch coons. That's just my experience.

#4106075 - 11/09/13 10:08 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
No way.
It's hard enough to get a coon to go In a baited bucket let alone make It climb a freaking tree to commit suicide.

#4106086 - 11/09/13 10:12 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
My thought would be if you find a den tree...leaning log might just work

#4106089 - 11/09/13 10:13 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: The Beav]
TrappingHardcore Offline
trapper

Loc: U.P of MI
Originally Posted By: The Beav
No way.
It's hard enough to get a coon to go In a baited bucket let alone make It climb a freaking tree to commit suicide.
grin

#4106095 - 11/09/13 10:17 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
humptulips Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington State
I have caught coon in run pole sets. Never made the sets with coon in mind though.

#4106096 - 11/09/13 10:18 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
madminker Offline
trapper

I think ima try it after freeze up and there is some snow on the ground and see what happens. Food isn't to easy to come by in late dec and jan. I think it may just work.

#4106136 - 11/09/13 10:43 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
J.Morse Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Michigan
I use/used a version of it. I'd make cages from 1x2 inch cage wire, like boxes, then hang them about 4-5 feet high on the side of vertical trees with the open end down. I did them like Bob Noonan's Fisher cages. I used either 160's or 220's. I'd use marshmallows for bait, then squirt fish oil around. They don't work as well as a foot-hold, but I'd set 15-20 of them and catch about the same number of 'coon in a week or so. I trap mostly state land, and I can't commit to an every a.m. check, so the bodygrippers were just the ticket. One thing I found, at least in the 3-4 years I used them, was that I trapped 'coon of a larger average size. Also, I tended to trap the high ground more than the edges of streams...that could explain the size factor a bit.

#4106367 - 11/10/13 07:16 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
madminker Offline
trapper

ttt

#4106440 - 11/10/13 08:27 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Keep your traps on the ground It will be a lot eaiser for you and you will catch MORE coon. Why make things so complicated.
NO matter what you do you have to be on location so why make the coon climb the pole or the tree. Use the KISS method.

#4106455 - 11/10/13 08:44 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: The Beav]
J.Morse Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: The Beav
Keep your traps on the ground It will be a lot eaiser for you and you will catch MORE coon. Why make things so complicated.
NO matter what you do you have to be on location so why make the coon climb the pole or the tree. Use the KISS method.

Maybe there is a valid reason he wants to go arboreal. I did it, and I did it because it was the only way I could run traps.....let me explain a bit. I couldn't commit to a, by law, 24 hour check. My Bride is now handicapped and I can't leave her alone for extended periods, and some days not at all. That is why I went to bodygrips--no time limit here for checking them. Also, I went up off the ground so I could use 220's on public land, and that ain't at all legal if the trap is less than 4 feet above the ground. Then there is the dog factor. I live in an area with LOTS of bird/rabbit hunters. Even if it IS legal to set a bucket on the ground(160's are ok on the ground in Michigan, even on public land), it is far from ethical if there is even the slightest chance you will catch some hunters bird dog or beagle. That is a situation no trapper or smallgame hunter needs to experience. It makes for a HUGE public relations black eye for trappers.

#4106514 - 11/10/13 09:31 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Yep every situation Is different. And the poster never made any statement as to why he wanted to go this route
In WI we have to check all dry land body grips every day no matter what. so you can see why your system wouldn't work for me. But a dog proof or a baited cubby (dog proof) would be a better choice.

Or maybe both of you could try this.
Set a dog proof and use a fairly long chain to anchor It. Now within 12" of your set place a UNBAITED body grip box and stake It down solid.
Now when the coon gets caught In the foot hold the first thing It's going to do Is run and hide In that body grip box. And It's lights out and you have a very effective set and a dead coon which will make you legal. And It's no more work then building leaning poles and hanging traps In trees.
I know several guys that use this method so they can take advantage of the extended check laws.
I never used It my self but when I trapped coon for the live market I discovered that when I placed my transport cage down next to the coon It would try and get Inside to hide. So from then on I would open the transport cage and place it right up next to the coon. The coon would go In the cage I would close the door and pull out It's leg and remove the trap the coon would pull It's leg In and I would shut the door. It also worked on fox to some degree.

Some times It's all about thinking out of the box. But In this case It's all about thinking In the box LOL

Give this a try I think you will like the results.

#4106528 - 11/10/13 09:43 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
sgs Offline
trapper

Loc: NH
How about leaning poles AND buckets?

#4106530 - 11/10/13 09:43 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
That set would be illegal here because you cannot have a solid staked foothold with a tether longer than 12 inches from the ground to the trap.

#4106542 - 11/10/13 09:54 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
J.Morse Offline
trapper

Beav, the set you described sounds like it would work, but it would also be illegal in Michigan...the DP makes it a 24 hour check set. We have to check all "restraining type" traps once every 24 hrs. ...even snares not under the ice or on drowners. Oh, drowning set footholds are OK to not check every 24, but the set must be set to drown the fur-bearer.

#4106544 - 11/10/13 09:58 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
trapmando Offline
trapper

Loc: Myrtle Beach, S.C

I did some testing a few years ago with a newspaper box in the tree without a trap and the coon has no problem going in or out with the baited box

#4106641 - 11/10/13 11:36 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Trapmando One coon or 50 coons?
If I'm going coon trapping I'm going to catch as many coon as I can as fast as I can. And a leaning pole or a cage hung on the side of the tree Isn't going to get It done. Sure you may catch the occasional coon but how many are going to walk right on by. A coon doesn't make It's living In a tree. You have to make It easy for the critter to get In the trap. And that means being on location where the natural groceries are.

#4106660 - 11/10/13 11:46 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
On warm nights during fisher (above 32) season...I can guarantee coons hanging from my leaning Pole sets.

#4106695 - 11/10/13 12:08 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
I'm sure you'll catch some coon in that set but like Beav said, you wont put up very good numbers with that set.

#4106699 - 11/10/13 12:13 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: grumley701]
trapmando Offline
trapper

Beav, it was my first year trapping and I wanted to experiment with different sets. The fact that it worked would allow me to make many sets..The main fact was that it did worked up and out of the snow where the fishers could get at it also. There was no traps in the box, just bait.

#4106798 - 11/10/13 01:42 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Fisher In SC?

#4106839 - 11/10/13 02:12 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: The Beav]
trapmando Offline
trapper

Beav, I trap multiple states. I also trap Pa.

#4107000 - 11/10/13 04:20 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
madminker Offline
trapper

I do have and use dps and do ok with em but I also have a ton of buckets and 220s im not using and if im not using em there not going to catch any fur so y not set em and pick up some extra fur rite? And like I said ima try it mostly in winter when it is hard to make other coon sets besides its cheaper to use the traps I alrerady have then to go buy a ton of dps.

#4107055 - 11/10/13 05:04 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
thskeer Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
When I lived in NH I also had the same results as Nessmuck- lots of coon in my fisher sets. We could use 220's but only if 5 feet off the ground. I would pre-bait with fish starting in late sept, once a week baiting, and I killed some coon in 220's that way come Nov! You can do it, but the advance work is critical. Coon dont seem to want to climb the pole unless they already knew food was up there. Tom

#4107058 - 11/10/13 05:05 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
Lepus Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Th

This is a vertical Conibear box, mounted 6 feet off the ground. Raccoons don't hesitate for a second to climb for a free meal, and I have hundreds of photos to prove the point.
Food is too difficult to attain in a natural environment, to pass up a 6 foot climb. Best Lepus

#4107392 - 11/10/13 07:38 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
DakotaDeer Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
Lepus,

Could you show some more examples of the box and describe how to use it?

#4107654 - 11/10/13 09:16 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
Lepus Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
The box with the two raccoons is a standard 220 Conibear box, but longer in length. I make some as long as 24 inches, so I can utilize lots of bait. Usually muskrat,
and beaver carcasses this time of year. You'll notice the grove in the side of the box is longer than what most would use. I do this to dissuade raccoons from reaching for the bait,
and getting caught by an arm. I always place the trigger way to the side, and on the inside jaw. Typically, I use this set on private ground, and don't hesitate to pre-bait. Raccoons
never forget an easy food source. I've had them show up on trail cameras the first night, after leaving the box idle ( not baited) for two months. Do raccoons climb for bait? Yes they do.

Lepus

Edited by Lepus (11/11/13 07:33 AM)

#4107823 - 11/10/13 10:55 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
madminker Offline
trapper

ttt

#4107855 - 11/10/13 11:42 PM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
Otis Offline
trapper

Loc: Watertown, SD
I guess if you're trying to get above snow or keep sets from getting buried, why not just tack a DP to a tree with a small nail, a foot or so off the ground?

Can't speak for solving other problems.

Just trying to survive in a world full of idiots.

#4108084 - 11/11/13 07:19 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
The Beav Offline
trapper

I've seen pictures of coon on leaning poles and pictures of coon sitting on boxe's but so far I haven't seen any coon caught In those sets.

#4108439 - 11/11/13 10:57 AM Re: Leaning pole set for coon [Re: madminker]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Loc: ny
In NY,,our 220s have to be in special recessed boxes or at least four feet off the ground.I have very good luck with the boxes(I used to use buckets),,but not so much with the leaning pole set for coon.One thing that does help your odds if useing the leaning pole,,is to lay down a scent trail of fish oil from ground level all the way up the pole.Just my observations.

Edited by upstateNY (11/11/13 10:58 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >