International forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the International Trappers forum)

Trading Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4091425 - 11/03/13 04:51 AM Australian traps - historic and current
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Australia

A comparison pic of some traps that have been or are still commonly used here in Australia.

The Lanes Dog Trap is the classic Aussie dingo trap. There were other brands and even much bigger double long springs used prior to the Lanes. The Lanes has a jaw spread of somewhere between 8 and 9 inches depending on which exact trap (age, rubber jaw etc). Some time in the 1990s, the Lanes was made as a rubber jaw trap but the old style was still made as well. Manufacture of the Lanes finished last year. The dingo is, on average, slightly larger than a coyote. To many in North America this trap would seem very big for the size of the target but it has always been seen as normal for targeting dingoes/wild dogs. (the term wild dog is a collective term for dingoes, feral dogs and dingo-dog hybrids)
The Victor #14 jump was also used for wild dogs in the past.
Currently, some of our most popular traps for targeting wild dogs are the Jake, Bridger #5 and Victor #3. Many trappers who were used to the old Lanes really struggle with the smaller traps (especially the Jake for some reason). Other trappers have simply changed their ways and adapted to the new traps. I personally prefer the new traps, with the Jake being my first choice although I started trapping with both Lanes and newer traps so I didn't have the old habits ingrained over many years to break.
The Victor softcatch is the standard for research trapping here. The #3 for wild dogs and the #1.5 for foxes and feral cats.
Lots of other traps are being imported and used here now but I think I have hit the most commonly used traps.
The "Rabbit trap" was the common trap used to target rabbits and came in many many brands and styles. The European rabbit was introduced into Australia for hunting and their number rose dramatically and they became one of Australias worst, if not THE WORST, pest animal problems. They numbered in the millions and every method was used to control them. Pro trappers or "rabbiters" made a living from trapping or shooting rabbits for fur and meat.
Trap collectors can have hundreds of variations of Australian and English made rabbit traps in their collections. The jaw spread is roughly 4 inches. They haven't been made for many years and they are illegal to use in most states.
Not much rabbit trapping happens these days but the Victor #1 is sometimes used.

I do not really think there were any unique fox size traps used here although some traps would have been imported to target them. Sometimes rabbit traps were modified with a second long spring to be used on foxes. Other times, multiple rabbit traps were set for foxes so that more than one foot would be caught in order to hold them. These days we can just import any suitable trap for foxes.

#4091550 - 11/03/13 07:30 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
interesting read

#4091747 - 11/03/13 09:49 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Loc: Amite county Mississippi
Cool. Hay this may sound kinda stupid but could you catch a croc with one of the #5s? I recon it would kinda be like a beaver slide style set confused
0/35 yotes/
0/beavers
0/2 otters
0/1 squatch
0/2567 zombies
0/2 chupacabras!

#4092082 - 11/03/13 01:57 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
ate Offline

Loc: spain ( europe)
very interesting ĦĦĦĦ really thanks ĦĦĦ

#4092249 - 11/03/13 04:26 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

To be honest I don't know about crocs too much. I live at the opposite end of the country to where the crocs are.
Maybe a small one but a mature croc would have a foot bigger than a #5. If a croc can drag a big feral boar or water buffalo into the water with ease then it can throw a #5.
You just don't mess with our crocs! The stuff they do on the gator tv shows would get you killed if you tried that with our crocs. We do have smaller freshwater crocs of a different species that are not man killers but the salties are a different story.

#4092334 - 11/03/13 05:30 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Loc: Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted By: alpine hunter
To be honest I don't know about crocs too much. I live at the opposite end of the country to where the crocs are.
Maybe a small one but a mature croc would have a foot bigger than a #5. If a croc can drag a big feral boar or water buffalo into the water with ease then it can throw a #5.
You just don't mess with our crocs! The stuff they do on the gator tv shows would get you killed if you tried that with our crocs. We do have smaller freshwater crocs of a different species that are not man killers but the salties are a different story.
dON'T HAVE TO TELL ME TWICE !
0/35 yotes/
0/beavers
0/2 otters
0/1 squatch
0/2567 zombies
0/2 chupacabras!

#4094155 - 11/04/13 02:49 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Outdoorsy25 Offline
trapper

Loc: The Netherlands
Nice read Alpine Hunter. I am interested in this new trap from Lanes. Made from stainless steel but very expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ocJnzbmqSuY

#4094936 - 11/04/13 08:30 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

There are a lot of faults with the new lanes stainless steel trap.
I trialled one and caught a wild dog but I won't be using it again.
There is no built in adjustment in the trap so the only way to retune it as the parts get knocked around and need a little filing or bending back into shape is to buy new plate and dog. Pan tension requires a lot of torque on the nut to make any adjustment.
The rubber pads have been reported as pulling free when a sullivans trap tester is used and then pulled from the closed jaws.
The spring levers override the stops in the closed position and are very difficult to force back into place.
The construction is very tough but the details let it down.

#4095435 - 11/05/13 04:18 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Outdoorsy25 Offline
trapper

That sounds bad. It is the only stainless steel trap on the market, let's hope they will modify it.

#4095445 - 11/05/13 04:41 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

It is not entirely stainless. The springs are just normal coil springs and the pan is some sort of alloy.
By the time you purchased and shipped them, they would be VERY expensive traps!

#4095483 - 11/05/13 05:36 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
those kinds of problems are common when a non trapper designs a trap. some company's respond to customers and fix design flaws. some go out of business. did you contact the company alpinehunter?

#4096404 - 11/05/13 02:55 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Outdoorsy25 Offline
trapper

You have right Alpine hunter, it is an expensive trap, also shipping isn't cheap.

#4097916 - 11/06/13 12:10 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: Outdoorsy25]
ate Offline

Loc: spain ( europe)
If the trap is a leg hold trap, it´s prohibited here in our continent....

#4099208 - 11/06/13 04:09 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
The old style Lanes make wonderful beaver traps!

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#4106244 - 11/10/13 03:11 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

Yes, a number of people provided feedback. Originally it was built as a dogless trap but the feedback that the company listened to was from very traditional style trappers who just wanted to turn it back into the old Lanes trap rather than a modern design to go into the future.
I think they put it into production a bit early so it is now hard to go back and fix the problems since all the moulds and tooling have been done. It is a pity because the idea and concept is good. It never hurts to have another good trap on the market.

#4114518 - 11/14/13 05:54 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
dingo trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Queensland, Australia.
great write up,used and loved the orignal Lanes's for nearly twenty years.
But last year changed over to the 'J.C Coner Jake' traps-what a
'game changer' they are-like a pilot upgrading to a jet liner from
a prop plane.Streets ahead.Although still miss that 'jingle bells' sound
the lanes make when a dog hooked up in lantana-you can hear that before you
get visual-really was exciting.

Here is an image (above) of the last dingo I got in a lane-last year in November-hes was
the biggest I have ever caught in this district,23KG and I could hear him howling in the trap 1.5 km's
away.

#4119464 - 11/17/13 05:57 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

That big pan flapping around certainly makes a noise that is unmistakeable!

#4124775 - 11/20/13 12:14 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Roll Tide Offline
trapper

Loc: Alabama
Very interesting

#4330156 - 02/21/14 06:14 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
OneHandSetters Offline
trapper

Loc: Manchester Vt
alpine hunter, These are the preferred setters for the Jake traps.
And here is one for the Bridger #5
Dave

#4437584 - 04/18/14 05:16 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Aportman Offline
trapper

Hi

I am not a trapper, but I found some old rabbit traps under my house, we are about to knock it down and did not know what to do with them. There are 13 in total and they have some rust. On one of the traps I can find the words " wh Downey Sydney" they still work.

I put the traps on ebay and they were bided on fast, however they were quickly taken off as I breached their policy! Guess they are more anitque novelty items now!

Anyone with info about this much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ate