No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4073226 - 10/24/13 10:19 PM Coon hounds???
yote trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
Ok I have no knowledge to coon hunting with hounds. I'm looking into getting into it but what's the best hound. Can you do it with only one hound? Anything will help. Thanks.

#4073288 - 10/24/13 10:43 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
benny b Offline
trapper

Loc: pa / northern maine
any of the breeds run coon. walkers are typically a little faster hot nosed dog. I ran my dogs by them selves most of the time so they were more independent for the competitions. I won more with my walkers. but a comp bred dog just goes and goes till it finds a coon. it might be 100 yards it might be 3 miles. that gets you into buying trackers. (which you should always use on any dog). BUT NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BUY A COON DAWG. nobodys going to sell you a good dog this close to the season. they will sell you problem hounds and say " he just needs some fur shot down to him " if it was any good he would not be for sale. and if he is any good your going to pay big bucks this time of year. if you buy one go to the woods with him buy himself, with other dogs, see if hes mean with other dogs at the tree. don't rush take your time or you will get junk. I would look for a pleasure type dog that checks in if I were you. but trust me nobody sells top quality hounds... benny ps. coon hunting with good hounds is a blast, if your in shape to do it.

Edited by benny b (10/24/13 10:44 PM)

#4073290 - 10/24/13 10:44 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Backcountry Offline
trapper

Loc: ND United States
I was going to post the exact same question.

From my research you can, but you'll obviously have limited success when compared to 4 hounds.

#4073311 - 10/24/13 10:53 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Lonnie Young Offline
trapper

Loc: Dry Ridge, KY
Benny just about said it all, but I will argue about English hounds...lol I am a competition hunter as well and I run English red and blue ticks. To buy a finished dog this time of year is going to cost you anywhere from $1500 - $5000. Be careful though! Coon hunting is a serious addiction! haha. I hunt 4-5 nights a week and can't get enough.

If you don't have the money for a finished dog, I would suggest looking into finding a started pup. This is the most rewarding route to take on your first hound. Never buy a hound that you don't hunt first. I would suggest taking him by himself first, then with other dogs and see how he/she does. Also, feel free to PM me with any questions you have. I know the English and Walker blood lines very well.

#4073323 - 10/24/13 11:00 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
benny b Offline
trapper

a good hound will find you a coon. I wouldn't advise running 4 hounds alone just starting out. 4 hounds treed in four different directions, been there its not fun. and im not kidding you todays hounds will go how ever far it takes. id honestly get a pleasure type hound to start. I had an old bluetick male that I used to train pups with or chek a young dog for off game. id tree 3 or four coon a night with him. coyotes killed him under a tree. so I would get one good dog and hunt with a friend, I never had yotes come in on two dogs. if your hunting and hear the yotes holler to each other get to your dog quick.

#4073327 - 10/24/13 11:02 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Wyogoose Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Wyoming
I raised walkers and they were by far my favorite but I have also owned plotts, English redtick and redbones. I ran mostly lions but did a lot of coon hunting in the fall. For a strict coon dog I would get either a walker or a bluetick. Either way you cant go wrong. Hound hunting is an absolute blast! Good Luck!

#4073339 - 10/24/13 11:06 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Backcountry Offline
trapper

Loc: ND United States
Once a hound is trained for coon,could you ever run that thound on cats? Or is it stuck on coons?

#4073420 - 10/25/13 12:10 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
benny b Offline
trapper

ya you could train it on both. unless it was broke (shock collar treated) then you may have trouble with it.

#4073431 - 10/25/13 12:25 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
dchartt Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Your best bet would be to buy a older broke dog...guys will sell a 8 yr old broke dog alot cheaper than a 3 yr old broke dog and for just gettin into it its your best bet...training a hound for yout first time you will probably give up on it or ruin the dog.,.and YES never buy a dog without seeing it go on its own, and be prepared to put some miles on trying to find a good one...there aint nothing better than hearing that hound bawling thru the valley at 3am tearing up a track

#4073486 - 10/25/13 02:50 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Coyothunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Love the Walkers, but the best coon hound is the one that trees you coon, and comes to the truck when you're done.
Red Fox__1/10
Coyote __ 3/10
Mink ____ 0/3
Beaver 1

#4073544 - 10/25/13 05:51 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

Loc: North Carolina
Find a breed that fits you, hunt with other hunters before you make your decision. Each bloodline and breed has different traits, and every human being doesn't like the same thing, so take some time to figure out what you want.

Will you tree more coon will 5 dogs? Maybe, if they split tree, but you also draw more attention, make more noise, and when dogs get together they get a mind of their own, I swear they race eachother away from me! We usually hunt 2 or 3 at the time, but we have 8 or 10 dogs...

Theres a ton of other stuff, find you an experienced hunter with good hounds to show you the ropes!

#4073985 - 10/25/13 11:18 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Trappertrevor Offline
trapper

Loc: Mn
Where would be a good place to get a trained dog?
By the way, do not buy a dog if you don't hunt with him first. I bought one and he was scared and beat so I couldn't even walk up to the poor dog when I was hunting. The beat him to much and he was scared to hunt.

#4074060 - 10/25/13 12:15 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
travelintinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Clio,Michigan 33 yrs. old
One hound is fine. Coondawgs.com go to your local coonclub an some one will be glad to take you out

#4074683 - 10/25/13 06:04 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
proratman Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
Walkers rule!

#4074949 - 10/25/13 07:55 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
benny b Offline
trapper

ya look at coondawgs and look for a coon club or nite hunt near you. but wait till season is over.

#4075422 - 10/25/13 11:03 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
yote trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
Thanks guys. But I'm looking to buying a pup over the spring /summer and training it myself. I dnt want someone else's dog.

#4075498 - 10/26/13 01:14 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
benny b Offline
trapper

biggest thing to training a pup is getting him out. they learn nothing in the pen.

#4075523 - 10/26/13 02:28 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
IronMountainFur Offline
trapper

Loc: S.E. Nebraska
look on the UKC site

#4075578 - 10/26/13 05:29 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
backwoodsbarry Offline
trapper

Loc: wyoming
Originally Posted By: yote trapper
Thanks guys. But I'm looking to buying a pup over the spring /summer and training it myself. I dnt want someone else's dog.

And you'll both be better hunters for it, good luck.

#4075590 - 10/26/13 05:45 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
shoot thru Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
Got a beutiful litter of walker pups 5 weeks old. Bred very well. Ha ve 2 females not spoken for.
Will post a pic if I can figure out how.. to bad ur so far away..

#4075626 - 10/26/13 06:41 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
biggun6 Offline
trapper

Loc: Wayne County,WV
Just my opinion but if I were totally new I believe I would get an Original Mt Cur. I have hunted both Hounds and curs and think for a newbie that the handling traits of an OMC would make it a much better experience.
Nothing will make a newbie quit quicker than chasing an inexperienced ill-handling dog half the night.

#4075724 - 10/26/13 08:00 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
sdco300 Offline
trapper

Loc: avon, south dakota
Walkers have a special place in my heart. That being said Man those English can put up coon real fast love them. My knees gave out and I haven't run hounds for 12 years but if I was going to start, I would go with a walker dog. And I would name him "Ticker".

#4075774 - 10/26/13 08:35 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
travelintinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Clio,Michigan 33 yrs. old
Originally Posted By: yote trapper
speaking from experience you would be way better off buying a dog already trained. Think about it, how can someone who has never coon hunted teach something to coonhunt. If you look at the price of a good puppy and figure in shots wormer food an kennel plus a year and a half of dragging it to the woods you will easily have two thousand bucks tied up into a dog that may never make a good coon hunter around here you can pickup a healthy stay put belly to the boards coon hound for 700 bucks saving you 1300 bucks and a year and a half of your life jmho

#4076375 - 10/26/13 04:05 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: travelintinner]
t mccormack Offline
trapper

Loc: B.D. WI
Sent you a PM

#4076387 - 10/26/13 04:11 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: travelintinner]
t mccormack Offline
trapper

Loc: B.D. WI
[/quote] speaking from experience you would be way better off buying a dog already trained. Think about it, how can someone who has never coon hunted teach something to coonhunt. If you look at the price of a good puppy and figure in shots wormer food an kennel plus a year and a half of dragging it to the woods you will easily have two thousand bucks tied up into a dog that may never make a good coon hunter around here you can pickup a healthy stay put belly to the boards coon hound for 700 bucks saving you 1300 bucks and a year and a half of your life jmho [/quote] I agree 100%. A lot of pups don't make it. Been there more times than I want to think about:)

#4076492 - 10/26/13 05:19 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Matt Walker Offline
trapper

Loc: Grundy County, Missouri
My uncle (Ironically on my mother's side) raised Walker hounds for many years. Myself, I've seen great Walkers, but also Blueticks, Redbones, Black and Tans, and the rest- and also some of all those breeds that weren't worth the feed bill, if you were only going by their hunting talent. More recently I've been studying up on the Mountain Curs and Black Mouth curs, which seem to be as good at treeing but minus alot of the usual traits that make hounds tough to have as pets - incessant baying, difficult to house break, and tendency not to have much interest in sticking around or coming when they're called...

But what it comes down to really is that getting good dog is less about the breed and more about the breeder.

Find a pup from good parents, preferably from a breeder with a good reputation. Even then, there's a fair bit of luck to it.

#4076501 - 10/26/13 05:31 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
OHcoonskinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll county,Ohio
Coondawgs.com or UKCdogs.com is where I'd go. Plenty of knowledge on those 2 sites for someone just starting out. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

P.S. Im an English guy

Skunks- Public Enemy #1
Possums- Public Enemy #2

#4076805 - 10/26/13 08:26 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Patokariver Online   content
trapper

Loc: SW Indiana
You fellers all gave good points on buying training and the differences, but you passed up one important point, PLOTTS are the only way to go. I have treed piles of coon and won enough trophies that the wife refuses to dust anymore.

#4076825 - 10/26/13 08:34 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Brian Perlis Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Read both of the Walk with Wick books. http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Hunting+with+Hounds+Specials/John+Wick's+Walk+with+Wick+-+The+Tree+Dog+Encyclopedia+Volume+I+Book

They are amazing. Do a google search on them.

#4076890 - 10/26/13 09:04 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
shawn223 Offline
trapper

Loc: northeast iowa
I like redbones they are great coon dogs

#4077253 - 10/27/13 12:45 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Hound Dawg Girl Offline
trapper

Loc: Sd CO C.A.
Benny B knows what hes talkin about , dogs even in the same breed can be fast or slow hot or cold nosed. getting a pup doesnt mean you will end up with a good finished product, especally if you have never trained one before. I reccomend reading the chapter about training your own pupin "WALK WITH WICK" that demonstrates how much time ,money ,and effort, are invested in turning out a good dogfrom a pup as opposed to buying a finished dog. I might suggest that some good older ones can be found in the breed rescues , I have a whole bunch of castoffs and some are pretty good dogs depends how much exposure and time you put into them, as with most anything what you will get out of it, depends a lot on what you put into it.

#4077260 - 10/27/13 12:53 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Hound Dawg Girl Offline
trapper

Loc: Sd CO C.A.
By the way all mine were "someone elses dogs" first, and castoffs at that,but a true trainer can work with a dog and get a good finished product, a novice can take a good dog and ruin it!

#4077432 - 10/27/13 07:32 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

Loc: North Carolina
Here's whatcha need smile

#4077595 - 10/27/13 09:46 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: OHcoonskinner]
sdco300 Offline
trapper

Loc: avon, south dakota
Originally Posted By: OHcoonskinner
Coondawgs.com or UKCdogs.com is where I'd go. Plenty of knowledge on those 2 sites for someone just starting out. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

P.S. Im an English guy

Coonskinner , you broke my heart on with that picture. Had a red English looked just like her until somebody else thought they needed her. Had the kennel locked but they got her anyway

#4077778 - 10/27/13 12:05 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
MThound Offline
trapper

Loc: Western MT
Any of the hound breeds can catch game. Generally speaking Black and Tans and Blueticks will have colder noses than the rest, but this can vary greatly between specific lineages. To me a hound isn't worth keeping if they can't run and catch game on their own. Every dog in my kennel will and has caught game numerous times alone. Unless you're running a tough bear, most coon, lion, and bobcats are all easily caught with one dog. I often prefer to run just one or two dogs on the tougher tracks so they can work it better without stomping it out.

Don't be intimidated to train your own pup. Find someone that raises and hunts their hounds and get a pup from them. There are some great books, articles, and information online to help you in training your dog. It will be a challenge but will be very rewarding in the end once your pup starts catching game on its own. I started out with no help over 20 years ago and started every dog I have owned. It is true not every dog will turn out, but you will know the good and bad traits your dog has as you train him. It is a great learning experience and you will be a much better houndsman in the end knowing what it takes to get a good dog. Start by reading Walk With Wick. It covers some great basics. Good luck with your quest and welcome to the sport.

Edited by MThound (10/27/13 12:28 PM)

#4078002 - 10/27/13 03:08 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Yoter'Trapper96 Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
I run a Black and Tan myself. He has a stitch a blue tick in him but hes mostly black and tan. Boy does his nose never leave that ground. All my fellow buddies i run with all have Back and Tans. Its all about them black dogs. wink. Anyways, Redbones and walkers and great dogs. But, they are worth a lotta coin too. Especially this close to the season. If ya get one for cheap, chances are it don't run worth a crap. And if ya do get a good one this time of year, your gonna pay top dollar for that pup. Best time to get a dog is around spring. Set some live traps for coon, train the dog on them. And if your a trapper save one of your furs for a scent drag. Anyways, Ifi were to get another dog, it would be one of the three i mentioned. Black and Tan, walker or redbone. Great dogs. Once you get into it, and have a good running dog that your trained, i doubt youll get out of it.. The first time my dog treede on his own at 6 months, you couldnt have drop kicked the smile off my face. In the end, its always worth the yelling, sweating, and hard training sessions to see your four legged best friend run a coon up a tree.

#4078373 - 10/27/13 06:31 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
Mike Ercolano Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Plenty of Trained Coonhounds PKC OR UKC Classifieds and yes one good dog is fine

#4078656 - 10/27/13 08:12 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
benny b Offline
trapper

I was allowed to go coon hunting by myself when I turned 12. just on the hill above the house and down by the crick. I had one of my paps old hounds and a 6-9 month pup my pap bought me before he passed. I got so beat and bruised from handling them 2 hounds that the school called the cops. (thought I was being abused). lol. nope just coon huntin.

#4079059 - 10/27/13 10:45 PM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: sdco300]
OHcoonskinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll county,Ohio
Originally Posted By: sdco300
Originally Posted By: OHcoonskinner

P.S. Im an English guy

Coonskinner , you broke my heart on with that picture. Had a red English looked just like her until somebody else thought they needed her. Had the kennel locked but they got her anyway

Sorry to hear that! Man does that redtick hunt! Usually if he doesnt tree a coon we probably wont tree one that night. Doesnt matter where we go.
Skunks- Public Enemy #1
Possums- Public Enemy #2

#4079214 - 10/28/13 01:19 AM Re: Coon hounds??? [Re: yote trapper]
benny b Offline
trapper

mt hound made an excellent point. when you buy a pup you will both get trained. I know a lot of coon hunters and only a few hounds men. (or hounds women). and I truly be leave if you want a really good coon dog. you got to raise it or buy it from a widow. ive given away a nite ch grand bench. and put down a duel grand. just because a coon dog has a title don't make it a coon dog. there's a whole lot of slick handlers out there at the nite hunts who make a mediocre dog a gr ntch. also if you do buy a running dog go to the woods with him more than one time. go one nite where the seller wants to go. (its easy to make a bad dog look good when the sellers spot is full of feeders. then go to one of your spots. also get the dogs ukc number get on ukc s website and look the dogs number up. it will tell you if it has any places in the hunts, if its ever been scratched for fighting. and when you look at a pedigree remember "ch" means nothing if its not backed up with "ntch or grntch" a show dog is not a coon dog. I think you should HAVE to enter your dog in the nite hunt to be able to show your dog. be aware of the guy who says " I got a gooden for sale" because if he was he wouldn't be for sale!!!

Edited by benny b (10/28/13 01:31 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >