No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4019394 - 09/25/13 07:41 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
Heck. ...our barn cat is changing it coat

#4019484 - 09/25/13 08:16 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
G-Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: north west missouri
I was reading an article MISOURI COSERVATIONIST magazine lot long ago the primeness of fur has more to do the length of day light than any thing else .its an eye to body thing the way they described it.

#4019528 - 09/25/13 08:33 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: G-Trapper]
EdP Offline
trapper

Loc: paducah, kentucky
My dog sheds so much in the spring it is ridiculous. Maybe I'll just keep him in all fall and winter so he doesn't put on a winter coat!!!

People put on heavy coats when it gets cold out, not animals.

#4019612 - 09/25/13 09:10 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Scott W. (Iowa)]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
Originally Posted By: Scott W. (Iowa)
Southern coon get prime, they just don't have fur as thick or long as northern coon. Fur is either building up or breaking down. Photo period determines this. Temperature determines how much is built up.

Exactly.

Alaska may have a a shorter photo period than the lower 48, but it also has much colder temps.

The determining factors for maximum fur density and leather primeness is a combination of shortening days AND cold temps.

If primeness were ONLY determined by the shortening of days, the coon would be at the same stage of primness every season on the same date. This is most certainly not true. The coon are always further along when we have a cooler, cloudy fall vs a warm, sunny fall.

#4019629 - 09/25/13 09:15 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Scott W. (Iowa)]
Nick C Offline
trapper

Loc: IOWA, HAWKEYE COUNTRY
Originally Posted By: Scott W. (Iowa)
Southern coon get prime, they just don't have fur as thick or long as northern coon. Fur is either building up or breaking down. Photo period determines this. Temperature determines how much is built up.

Great reply.

I will add.

Temperature and genetics of the fur bearers in the region will determine how much is built it.

I believe many fur bearers evolve into the quality they are in that region based on what benefitted the ancestors of that region for optimum survival.

That is why we get really really fat and decent fur density on our coon, to survive the winter.

#4019633 - 09/25/13 09:16 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
GritGuy Offline

Loc: Magna, Utah
Depends on the photo period when it starts the priming action gives the fur a longer time to to grow. Density is dependent on genes, not temps. However variables such as health and growth time could play into density.

Most photo periods with any type of record keeping have established a starting period within a couple of weeks of each other each season.
I doubt that long enough to warrant a mass growth of denser fur.

Also there is just so much fur in the leather, it can probably get thicker with better diet and health, however I doubt it gets any thicker due to temps, it is what it is where the animal lives. It may change year to year with diet but I don't believe it changes due to temps.
Just my uneducated opinion !

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

www.wasatchwild.com

#4019635 - 09/25/13 09:16 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
trapper les Offline
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
At any rate,you couldnt transplant a southern coon to northern MN and expect it to have real dense fur-the genetics arent there.

#4019647 - 09/25/13 09:22 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
GritGuy Offline

Loc: Magna, Utah
That's correct and has been proven many times with several examples, the animals prime up but do not get any denser.

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

www.wasatchwild.com

#4019668 - 09/25/13 09:31 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
WisconsinCooner Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
48.23 degrees Fahrenheit is when fur turns prime.&#128540;

#4019678 - 09/25/13 09:36 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
mink99 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Cold weather will make fur stand up more and thus look sharper colored. But doesn't make fur primer.

#4019709 - 09/25/13 09:52 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
LLtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Pottawatamie co. IA
Fur is proactive not reactive. God made it that way so that an animal did not have to be cold in order for his coat to come on. It is called photoperiodism and it is all about the light (or lessoning of) and the eye of the animal that sets off a change in the animal. LLL

#4019757 - 09/25/13 10:20 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
Bob Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Mt, 25 yrs old
so....i was thinking about it... we've had a very cool, wet summer and fall so far. the says are already getting shorter. will these two factors combined make fur worth more earlier? hmm

#4019830 - 09/25/13 11:49 PM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
bottomlot Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I don't have much fur on my head- if I move to Alaska and spend all winer outside with my head exposed - will I prime up?

#4019857 - 09/26/13 12:26 AM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: bottomlot]
elm river Offline
trapper

Loc: illinois rinard
Originally Posted By: bottomlot
I don't have much fur on my head- if I move to Alaska and spend all winer outside with my head exposed - will I prime up?
lol me to

#4019865 - 09/26/13 12:43 AM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
Coonhound1990 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW PA
the cattle are kept with fans on them to keep them cool. If they get too hot or stressed out they drop weight and most will get hives on them so the cooler and more comfortable they are the better. It has nothing to do with the appearance their fur. they use clippers and hair spray to help the appearance of the animal. the reason they mess with their hair so much is to make the cow look bigger and more muscular than the competition and there is little tricks they have to hide flaws and show strong points just by messing with their hair. Hope this clears some of this up

#4019866 - 09/26/13 12:45 AM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
Coonhound1990 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW PA
also the cooler and more comfortable the cows are the more they eat which in turn makes your cow look bigger when its full. They basically try to get them to eat as much as possible on the day of the show

#4019891 - 09/26/13 01:53 AM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
Aaron S Offline
trapper

Loc: Sherburne county MN
The farther north ya go, the bigger the critters get, and the more dense the fur, from coons to deer.
We can agree on that right?

So... is it evolution & climate or God that prepares them for winter?

By the way, I believe in God, evolution, & amount of daylight not temps to prime fur... Figure that out! crazy

Also, no offense but, anybody that puts a misting fan on a cow like it's a fat football player.... Really has to much time on their hands. Imho

#4019994 - 09/26/13 06:38 AM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Aaron S]
trapper les Offline
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
I think I can go along with that.
Originally Posted By: Aaron S
The farther north ya go, the bigger the critters get, and the more dense the fur, from coons to deer.
We can agree on that right?

So... is it evolution & climate or God that prepares them for winter?

By the way, I believe in God, evolution, & amount of daylight not temps to prime fur... Figure that out! crazy

Also, no offense but, anybody that puts a misting fan on a cow like it's a fat football player.... Really has to much time on their hands. Imho

#4020012 - 09/26/13 06:53 AM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Alpha Backflow]
160user Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: Alpha Backflow
In your head or the fridge?

Good one!

#4020077 - 09/26/13 07:51 AM Re: Temp to cause fur to prime. [Re: Blunderbuss]
Scott Adams Offline
trapper

Loc: Wise County Virginia
Cold temps make the the pores constrict thus making the leather thicker and lose the slate color.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >