No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3991455 - 09/09/13 01:41 PM Trapper's Post wild fur report
Norwest MN Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Let me start by saying, trapper's post is the best news paper I read by far. But why is the wild fur forecast so low compared to fur, fish, and game. And compared to real world value I mean 35 to 45 marten, maybe a few years ago.

#3991498 - 09/09/13 02:05 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
160user Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Maybe they know something we don't. Yes, that marten average seems off a little.........like 400%.

#3991519 - 09/09/13 02:11 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Maybe this has something to do with it.

Chinese customs authorities put 260 smuggling cases on file for investigation between July 1 and Aug. 20 in a nationwide crackdown.

The cases involved 9.64 billion yuan (1.58 billion U.S. dollars), the General Administration of Customs (GAC) said Thursday.

Liu Xiaohui, head of the administration's anti-smuggling bureau, said the GAC is joining hands with ten government agencies including the Ministry of Public Security in an intensive six month campaign.

The campaign, running from July to December, has yielded some initial successes, said Liu.

Shantou customs busted a fur coat smuggling network and confiscated goods worth 7 billion yuan. Guangzhou customs found 9.7 kilograms of heroin in two separate cases. Chongqing customs seized parcels containing 1.5 kilograms of heroin. Hohhot customs ferreted out 130 tonnes of rare earths minerals valued at 12.09 million yuan.

Liu said China has seen an increase in the value of smuggled goods in recent years. More and more cases took place in hinterland areas and the land borders in southwest and northeast China.

The campaign will mainly target drugs, weapons, endangered species and rare earth metals, said Liu. Endi

http://www.china.org.cn/china/Off_the_Wire/2013-08/22/content_29799436.htm

#3991540 - 09/09/13 02:21 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
coonwild Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
Nobody on here traps for money anyhow roflmao

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Matt Duncan

#3991545 - 09/09/13 02:24 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
mike2396 Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
I think that all of the fur "forecasts" are a bunch of crap. If no fur is being sold, how can they list prices? There is basically no fur market going on right now.

#3991589 - 09/09/13 02:47 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: BuckNE]
blackhammer Offline
trapper

Loc: sseMinnesota
Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Maybe this has something to do with it.

Chinese customs authorities put 260 smuggling cases on file for investigation between July 1 and Aug. 20 in a nationwide crackdown.

The cases involved 9.64 billion yuan (1.58 billion U.S. dollars), the General Administration of Customs (GAC) said Thursday.

Liu Xiaohui, head of the administration's anti-smuggling bureau, said the GAC is joining hands with ten government agencies including the Ministry of Public Security in an intensive six month campaign.

The campaign, running from July to December, has yielded some initial successes, said Liu.

Shantou customs busted a fur coat smuggling network and confiscated goods worth 7 billion yuan. Guangzhou customs found 9.7 kilograms of heroin in two separate cases. Chongqing customs seized parcels containing 1.5 kilograms of heroin. Hohhot customs ferreted out 130 tonnes of rare earths minerals valued at 12.09 million yuan.

Liu said China has seen an increase in the value of smuggled goods in recent years. More and more cases took place in hinterland areas and the land borders in southwest and northeast China.

The campaign will mainly target drugs, weapons, endangered species and rare earth metals, said Liu. Endi

http://www.china.org.cn/china/Off_the_Wire/2013-08/22/content_29799436.htm
I was told the largest buyer at least of ranch mink in China is in jail and in big trouble with their government.

#3991604 - 09/09/13 03:02 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
With all those fur coats being taken off the market that should create a shortage in the pipeline. The market will need to provide pelts to replace the confiscated coats to meet the demand.

#3991620 - 09/09/13 03:15 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
mixed bag Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'd much rather have them predict them low then high and be disappointed.I think we all know the people are going to hammer the coon this season and reds.The coon market will probably drop quite a bit in my mind.I do think most of the furbuyers have a decent idea of what will be hot this year by now.I know I've talked with John Epler at a Sept mini-convention up here every year and he usually has a pretty good idea then.I use that imfo to set harder for what he thinks will be hot if its available in my trap area.The FF&G reports have always been pretty far off from what I get each year so I'd put more stock into the Trappers Post

#3991632 - 09/09/13 03:22 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Boco]
blackhammer Offline
trapper

Loc: sseMinnesota
Originally Posted By: Boco
With all those fur coats being taken off the market that should create a shortage in the pipeline. The market will need to provide pelts to replace the confiscated coats to meet the demand.
It may or it could throw the fur trade in China into chaos.

#3991661 - 09/09/13 03:44 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
wr otis Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Pa
could be all the money they were throwing around at that big dollar nafa sale has come back to bite them in their Chinese butts.

#3991664 - 09/09/13 03:45 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: mike2396]
Mike Wilhite Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: mike12703
I think that all of the fur "forecasts" are a bunch of crap. If no fur is being sold, how can they list prices? There is basically no fur market going on right now.

No prices have been quoted in any recent issues, thanks for reading the back issues though!

#3991692 - 09/09/13 04:07 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: mike2396]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...

What do you mean there is no fur being sold right now? Groenewold's, Zander, Wiebke, and other large receivers are offering fur for sale 365 days a year. Groenewold saw a slow down in late June and early July, but things really picked up in late Aug till present.

There have been some import issues in China for some time. Hopefully they can get things straitened out.

#3991757 - 09/09/13 04:48 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Boco]
PSB1011 Offline
trapper

Loc: PA

Do you think they are going to burn them?

#3991791 - 09/09/13 05:13 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Dave Plueger]
mike2396 Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Dave Plueger

What do you mean there is no fur being sold right now? Groenewold's, Zander, Wiebke, and other large receivers are offering fur for sale 365 days a year. Groenewold saw a slow down in late June and early July, but things really picked up in late Aug till present.

There have been some import issues in China for some time. Hopefully they can get things straitened out.

I meant no trappers are selling fur, because no trapping seasons are open right now. Except the states where there is a year round coyote season. But the fur is probably crap.

#3991807 - 09/09/13 05:21 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
PAskinner Offline
trapper

John's report in Trapper's World was very upbeat and he's not one to exaggerate how good the market is.

#3991822 - 09/09/13 05:24 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: PSB1011]
Matt Jones Offline
"Stitches"

Loc: Kentucky
well it's been a record year for supply dealers....lol and it does not take new guys long to learn to use those supplies with the internet and all anymore.

if we have nicer trapper friendly weather, I don't know how all the fur will get worked up or how long buyers will have buying money. if I could lock my seasons catch of semi-heavy coon in at 15.50 nose count right here and now id do it.

here is the best fur prediction anyone's going to get...we got a 50 % chance to have a good year

matt

#3991854 - 09/09/13 05:42 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Matt Jones]
Coon Duke Offline
trapper

It seems if you look at the last couple sales in Canada, adjust the averages for your section fur, and drop the price 15-20% you have a pretty good indication of what fall and early winter prices are going to be in the country. Assuming there is a fairly stable market and there is enough country buyers to create some competition...

Nobody has a crystal ball for sure!
~ PTA Life #482 - FTA - NTA ~

#3991872 - 09/09/13 05:55 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Boco Offline
trapper

As far as I know fur or other illegally traded goods are held as evidence for the trial and then disposed of.Like illegal guns they never get back to the market.

#3991881 - 09/09/13 05:58 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Boco]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

As far as I know fur or other illegally traded goods are held as evidence for the trial and then disposed of.Like illegal guns they never get back to the market.

Cars do.

#3991885 - 09/09/13 05:59 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Something tells me the Chinese aren't going to put a billion dollars worth of fur in an incinerator. It will be auctioned off.

#3991890 - 09/09/13 06:01 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Boco Offline
trapper

Who knows what the chinese will do but here furs that are confiscated or any game are destroyed.

#3991909 - 09/09/13 06:10 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
1. What's the global economy going to do?

2. What war might we get into between now and season?

3. Will the dollar be devalued due to over printing money willy nilly?

4. None of it matters anyway cause we're going to have flash flooding from the end of Oct. till the first of May!

#3991914 - 09/09/13 06:14 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Jtrapper]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted By: Jtrapper

4. None of it matters anyway cause we're going to have flash flooding from the end of Oct. till the first of May!

What did you do to Maw Cat this time?

#3992128 - 09/09/13 07:58 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: SNIPERBBB]
Matt Jones Offline
"Stitches"

Loc: Kentucky
I've made some calls to friends regarding fur prices and the market myself lately...

what i'm hearing is nobody is hearing anything yet. I don't no if I should like that or not.

I sure would like to know BEFORE I spend three months and lots of dollars killing it

matt

#3992137 - 09/09/13 08:00 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
beachcomber13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Jervis, NY
Don't much care what the prices are, still trapping anyway.

#3992142 - 09/09/13 08:02 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Way it works now matt is you find out about time season is over what is bringing what! Kind of glad im out of the hide trade these days, no way to plan for anything anymore. Just do like riverotter2 does, go kill everything cause something will be worth something, lol.

#3992160 - 09/09/13 08:10 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Boco]
austinp Offline
trapper

Loc: Naples, NY
Who knows what the chinese will do but here furs that are confiscated or any game are destroyed.

that's what happens in Canada. In China those luxury items will be sold and proceeds funneled into official's private slush fund accounts

#3992168 - 09/09/13 08:12 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
austinp Offline
trapper

muskrats, red fox and western bobcats have a natural scarcity of supply this season. Cats and red fox are limited geographically, muskrats limited populations due to weather.

coon can be over-produced unless cold weather sets in early across the northern great lakes states. Farmers Almanac predicts an early, cold and snowy winter ahead.

#3992457 - 09/09/13 09:58 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

Loc: SD 16 y/o
So do all you experts think you should sell coon early or wait til NAFA in Feb. would chase rats, but the slough is nearly dry...

#3992463 - 09/09/13 10:01 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: austinp]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Originally Posted By: austinp

that's what happens in Canada. In China those luxury items will be sold and proceeds funneled into official's private slush fund accounts

We're talking about a billion dollars worth of finished fur garments, not raw furs. I don't know how many mink coats that is, but it's a few.

#3992478 - 09/09/13 10:09 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
mink99 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Kopenhagen sale looks down a bit but that may reflect the quality offered.

One thing I have been thinking about is how filthy rich these country buyers must have gotten this year. Groney must be wiping their rears with hundred dollar bills.

#3992482 - 09/09/13 10:11 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
If the average of those coats was 10,000 bucks that would be 100,000 coats.

Hard to imagine isn't it.
if they did, this forum would be a gold mine in itself.

#3992490 - 09/09/13 10:16 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
Maddog47 Offline

Loc: east central Minnesota
If there is any fur market report to read with respect it is Trappers Post and Mike Wilhite. Read all of the report and you will see he does his homework. September brings out high hopes and speculation for trappers and they can't be blamed. I personally see a bright fur harvesting season with financial rewards ahead of us.

#3992495 - 09/09/13 10:21 PM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
RJCooper Offline
trapper

Loc: Delaware
Lots of factors in figuring out what anything will bring on speculation. If gas rises 20% it could shut down a lot of hand to mouth trappers. Weather here is more important than weather there. They are not buying it in February for a made coat in March. Those furs are being sold now.

Just like picking berries, if it is ripe and ready, I will pick it. I don't walk over a $10 bill in the parking lot and I won't walk past one in the woods and water.

#3992685 - 09/10/13 02:13 AM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: Norwest MN]
PA TRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: southwestern PA
If the US goes to war with syria .I would think That would play a factor on the market dont you think

#3992916 - 09/10/13 08:00 AM Re: Trapper's Post wild fur report [Re: BuckNE]
austinp Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: BuckNE
We're talking about a billion dollars worth of finished fur garments, not raw furs. I don't know how many mink coats that is, but it's a few.

somehow or other those proceeds will end up in the coffers of a few elite. Reminds me of the Forbes list of richest people each year... what a joke. The richest individuals by far are dictators and insiders of 3rd world or communist countries who skim tens of billions $$ from their people with no recourse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >