No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3978877 - 09/02/13 12:54 PM Honeybee On Goldenrod
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
I've been photographing different strains of Honeybees as I am able to this season. On the whole, Honeybees are scarce in my area this year. Some member beekeepers have reported the same in their locations. Of the five I saw on a patch of goldenrod yesterday, this was my best capture to share with those interested in these miracle workers. Note the frayed left wing.

Jonathan

#3979093 - 09/02/13 03:39 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Stronghurst , IL
In the summer the life expectancy is around 2 weeks from hatch to end for them. They work themself to death. Once damaged beyond being able to work they are excluded from the hive and die. The drones will be blocked from access as well in a few weeks as well.

Drifter
Ayn Rand: "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Life member NTA , member Illinois and Ohio assoc .

#3979096 - 09/02/13 03:42 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
V3N Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
As the bee works the hairs on the body rub off and like us they go bald. The loss of hair also makes them look darker.

"There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness."
Dave Barry

#3979248 - 09/02/13 05:13 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
warrior Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Goldenrod is just starting to peek through here. I call it dirty sock season because the hives will stink of dirty socks when they are working goldenrod. Some don't like goldenrod honey but I don't find it all that objectionable, though I do leave fall honey on the hives for the bees.

#3979289 - 09/02/13 05:40 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: warrior]
cotton Offline

Loc: rual retreat va. soon be 19
Originally Posted By: warrior
Goldenrod is just starting to peek through here. I call it dirty sock season because the hives will stink of dirty socks when they are working goldenrod. Some don't like goldenrod honey but I don't find it all that objectionable, though I do leave fall honey on the hives for the bees.

can't get passed the smell to taste it warrior lol

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
Proud testosterone charged redneck

"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win,you're still retarded." BPB

#3979320 - 09/02/13 05:53 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
warrior Offline
trapper

Cotton, in all my years I have found one honey that is completely inedible tastewise. Bitterweed tastes worse than it sounds, like some sort of industrial solvent. Funny thing though is not everyone can taste it though. We sampled it at the bee club and most folks spit it right out but there were some that could not detect the bitter taste. I assume it's one of those genetic oddities.

#3979479 - 09/02/13 07:26 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
cotton Offline

i used to help a old guy with his bees, he told me one time the only honey nastier than goldenrod, was popual(sp). i told him didn't reckon i had ever had bee make it.

he smiled real big and said when ya open the super and it smells like ya stuck a chain saw in a wet popual log that's it.

"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win,you're still retarded." BPB

#3979591 - 09/02/13 07:59 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
warrior Offline
trapper

If you mean poplar as in yellow poplar aka tulip poplar then that is my main honey crop and an excellant honey. By far and away not only my personal favorite but that of the majority of my customers. A darker and full bodied flavor, not as bold or dark as buckwheat but definitely tasty.

#3979982 - 09/02/13 10:45 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
Warrior, got a question for ya. This time of year our bees are working on blueberries that have been pricked by the drosophila fruit fly and are lapping up the sweet juice. Do they take that back to the hive and make honey of the juice?

#3980004 - 09/02/13 10:58 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
Trapstar Charlie Offline
trapper

Loc: newark Ohio
I love goldenrod honey =) They type of goldenrod that actually produces nectar will be blooming here in the next few days. Its anywhere from 4-8 foot tall and getting ready to pop at all my bee yards =)

#3980042 - 09/02/13 11:34 PM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
None of the bees observed the past few days had any signs of pollen gathering on their legs in their time going to a variety of flower blossoms compared to those that were loaded with it over the past week or two. Does that mean that those now, as in the photo above, are feeding themselves independent of further activity at the hive before they die?

Jonathan

24 August 2013 - On Butterfly Bush

#3980103 - 09/03/13 01:34 AM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
cotton Offline

Originally Posted By: Jonathan
None of the bees observed the past few days had any signs of pollen gathering on their legs in their time going to a variety of flower blossoms compared to those that were loaded with it over the past week or two. Does that mean that those now, as in the photo above, are feeding themselves independent of further activity at the hive before they die?

Jonathan

24 August 2013 - On Butterfly Bush

prob hauling nector for honey making

#3980541 - 09/03/13 11:12 AM Re: Honeybee On Goldenrod [Re: Jonathan]
Sharon Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest Montana ,rocky mtns...
Wish there were a lot more honeybees here. Sure do miss them.
I find this info on different honey fascinating. cool