Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3976499 - 09/01/13 05:55 AM Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ?
kyron4 Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
New to this ,will be my first year; so for a basic dirt hole set for fox and coyote what do I want to use , a bait ( RK Predator plus, Widowmaker, etc.), or a lure made from glands, or both ? Trying to keep cost down too, would some raw deer meat or rabbit work with some gland lure or just meat alone ? Getting ready to place an order for some trap hardware and such and kinda hung up on what I need or don't need as far as bait/lure. -Thanks

#3976524 - 09/01/13 06:35 AM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: kyron4]
StoneKnife Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
I'm kinda new myself but the best season I had for fox I was chucking a chunk of deer meat down the hole and then using a little gland lure a touch on the rim of the hole and a pea sized blob in the hole.

#3976663 - 09/01/13 08:49 AM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: kyron4]
jaggersr Offline
trapper

Loc: While my feet are in Indiana, ...
Kyron4,

What part of Indiana you from? Are you close to Hoosier Trapper Supply?

#3976694 - 09/01/13 09:08 AM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: kyron4]
sthet Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
I would rather see someone just starting out...skimp on something besides bait and lure....bait and lure make money and the cost is offset the first time a catch is made....I may use both bait and lure at a dirt hole....I may use one or the other....I also might not use anything...just the hole....start a mouse trap line now and save the catches in a zip lock in the freezer...then buy some good lure...after you start selling the fur you catch use that money on bait and lure....1st

#3976738 - 09/01/13 09:36 AM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: jaggersr]
kyron4 Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: jaggersr
Kyron4,

What part of Indiana you from? Are you close to Hoosier Trapper Supply?

Wabash, north central Indiana

#3976742 - 09/01/13 09:39 AM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: kyron4]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
I use both on mine

#3976762 - 09/01/13 09:53 AM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: kyron4]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
When you set a location you should set at least two sets 3 would be better. By doing this you can use lure bait or just urine at each set. Or you can set with combinations like bait /lure or bait + urine and so on. This will give you better results then just making one set. There are times when I gang set that I'll just use a plain dirt hole set with just plain dirt as the attractant and will catch fur In those sets. The other sets will be lured or baited or with some type of combo.

But what ever you do make more then one set at each location. Give that critter some choices.

#3977382 - 09/01/13 04:09 PM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: kyron4]
Dennis W Offline
trapper

Loc: Bryant, IN
I use bait, lure and urine at most of my dirt holes. If money is tight I would buy some lures and urine then use bait I saved from hunting or trapping. Muskrat, beaver, rabbit, deer, mice all will work for K-9s.

#3977395 - 09/01/13 04:14 PM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: The Beav]
NFT Offline
trapper

Loc: Holt Michigan
Originally Posted By: The Beav
When you set a location you should set at least two sets 3 would be better. By doing this you can use lure bait or just urine at each set. Or you can set with combinations like bait /lure or bait + urine and so on. This will give you better results then just making one set. There are times when I gang set that I'll just use a plain dirt hole set with just plain dirt as the attractant and will catch fur In those sets. The other sets will be lured or baited or with some type of combo.

But what ever you do make more then one set at each location. Give that critter some choices.

X2

#3978130 - 09/01/13 11:02 PM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: NFT]
mauser06 Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Pennsylvania
Problem with just chunking up meat and throwing it in a hole is it doesn't have a ton of smell on its own when fresh....and once it freezes it won't have much of any smell....there's ways around that...

But a good commercial bait will pay for itself...

Most baits will work well without lure....but, a few bottles of lure is worth the expense IMO....

Like was said I like to change up my sets....and I agree that if a spot is good enough for one set it should be good enough for 2-3-4 sets....all of which I do different things at....

A good gland lure is worth buying IMO...I carry a few red fox gland lures and a coyote gland lure or 2 for when I am specifically targeting yotes....red gland lure will take most any critter...

I often bait a set and throw a dab of gland lure in the hole too...I think it helps...maybe they think "oh a fox was here...(or another yote) so let's see whats down this hole..".

I am a bait/lure junky....I think many trappers get that way...now that I have some favorites I will stand by them and keep the rest for real change ups...

A problem I had starting out was using way too much lure...I was going through ounce bottles quick...now I learned a dab will do most times...and had to learn not to relure every day or 2...

My suggestion would be to try to get a commercial bait or 2 or 3 and a couple lures...a red fox gland lure and a call type lure...if you have the money by some different ones...

Also gotta figure out how many sets your gunna run and types of sets etc and figure out how much you will actually need...

You can make scent posts and never use a lure or bait or even urine....if its in the right location it can be done.....but I can't catch em at a post even with urine and lures lol...

Flat sets are another set that oten all that is used is a dab of lure and maybe a squirt of urine...sometimes a bait is used but you can make em without it...depends on how you make em...

If I dig a hole its getting bait though....I want to give em something to try to dig up...and while they are trying to dig they aughta hit the pan....

Posts and flat sets are a bit different and your usually just trying to get them to stop and sniff and maybe pace around and catch them then...

Depending on your laws snares are another canine taking tool that can be stupid effective and are fairly cheap....no bait or lure or urine needed....

#3978426 - 09/02/13 07:38 AM Re: Dirt hole sets; bait ,lure or both ? [Re: kyron4]
coyoteinc Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana, PA
Originally Posted By: kyron4
New to this ,will be my first year; so for a basic dirt hole set for fox and coyote what do I want to use , a bait ( RK Predator plus, Widowmaker, etc.), or a lure made from glands, or both ? Trying to keep cost down too, would some raw deer meat or rabbit work with some gland lure or just meat alone ? Getting ready to place an order for some trap hardware and such and kinda hung up on what I need or don't need as far as bait/lure. -Thanks

Raw venison will work great on fox and coyotes in dirt holes in combo with a lure(non-gland lure).

I used chunked venison last season on my line in combo with Katz Bros 1800 predator lure with great success.

A hint on keeping it fresh, mix it with salt prior to using it. This will keep it fresh longer and will keep it from freezing.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie