No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3966559 - 08/26/13 09:36 PM Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late
TRapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Central IA
ok...lets hear it...i think early season here in iowa i use a more sweet bait for the rivers and bigger creeks to avoid otter interest and reserve my loud fish smelling bait for the smaller creeks and ponds

for dog proofs i favor whole kernel field corn mixed with anise or cherry oil....1 gallon of corn to 1 ounce of oil

what do you guys favor?

this post in honor of j lord

I also build websites like:
www.CallTheTrapper.com

www.SlimPedersen.com

www.BlackWolfTaxidermy.com

#3966671 - 08/26/13 10:07 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
HimWill Offline
trapper

Loc: West Tenn.
The secret "hot bait" this year will be Little Debbie Zebra Cakes.(Don't tell anybody.)

#3966690 - 08/26/13 10:16 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: HimWill]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
Originally Posted By: HimWill
The secret "hot bait" this year will be Little Debbie Zebra Cakes.(Don't tell anybody.)

There ain't no way I'm stuffing a zebra cake into a DP, those are for me. grin

#3966765 - 08/26/13 10:59 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: HimWill]
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper

Loc: central ohio
Originally Posted By: HimWill

No red blooded American would let that happen.

Heck, I've caught them on stale funions in dps. What won't work?

#3966768 - 08/26/13 11:01 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
j lord Offline
trapper

Loc: Flatland TN
Thank you TRapper!!!! wink lol

http://www.jlordvideos.com/apps/forums/
"Trappers Lodge"

#3966784 - 08/26/13 11:12 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
HimWill Offline
trapper

Loc: West Tenn.
Funions work pretty good after you dip them in Blue Jello.

#3966786 - 08/26/13 11:13 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
SloughTrapper#4 Offline
trapper

Loc: ND United States
I'm using freezer burnt fish. And while a lot of random crap will catch coons. Certain things will consistently put coons in traps. Thus a much high catch percentage. I'm no pro. This just makes sense to me.

#3966788 - 08/26/13 11:15 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
Bryce Hartzog Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hebron, Mississippi
Coon Candy..... always a good one. then Sweet Meat, then some June's Ringtail Cocktail........Hawbakers with a little anise is pretty good too....

#3966789 - 08/26/13 11:17 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
Roll Tide Offline
trapper

Loc: Alabama
Sardines work good both early and late in the season.

#3966790 - 08/26/13 11:17 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
1 marshmallow for free out front of the cubby.......coon candy lure and 1 more marshmallow inside the cubby..they can't stay out of it .

#3966828 - 08/27/13 12:10 AM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
greggsinthehouse Offline
trapper

Loc: MO-IL
Them Zebra cakes get stuffed in my cheeks, not a DP! Same with the Fun-ions!

#3966839 - 08/27/13 01:05 AM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: greggsinthehouse]
Bryce Hartzog Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hebron, Mississippi
Originally Posted By: greggsinthehouse
Them Zebra cakes get stuffed in my cheeks, not a DP! Same with the Fun-ions!

x2 on that one.

#3966865 - 08/27/13 04:28 AM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: Bryce Hartzog]
dob Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Arkinsaw
Figs, persimmions, made into a fruit paste used in cuddies an as smear sets. Later in the year, fish chunks, some semi dry dp bait with fish oil/used cooking oil as a trailing scent. Blind trail sets with 160's.

#3966871 - 08/27/13 04:53 AM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
austinp Online   content
trapper

Loc: Naples, NY
pork spare ribs... season with steak spice and other rubs, partially cook on the grill at 350F for an hour then lower the heat for another hour.

remove from grill, layer in crockpot with thick sliced sweet onions and green peppers, cover generously with your favorite bbq sauce. let simmer overnight on low, then remove the lid next morning and let brown. Finished ribs will have a nice bbq crust and will fall right apart off the bones. Shove as much of that meat as you can in DPs or dirtholes while still warm to disperse scent.

enjoy your soggy peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for lunch... be sure to wipe off all that glazed bbq sauce and crusted pork from your hands before eating smile

#3968997 - 08/27/13 09:42 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
TRapper Offline
trapper

austin, i just finished 2 iowa pork chops and then you write that....dang you...go eat some oatmeal cake

anyone think a persimmon based bait would work good in an area where they ain't any?

www.CallTheTrapper.com

www.SlimPedersen.com

#3969311 - 08/28/13 02:06 AM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
niteprowler Offline
trapper

Loc: In.,Mi.
Yes Sir,I think a persimmon based bait would work excellant for you for coon even if your area contains no persimmon trees.

#3969354 - 08/28/13 05:37 AM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
bigpine Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Old left over sorgum molasses.They fight each other to get at it.

#3969372 - 08/28/13 06:09 AM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
austinp Online   content
trapper

Loc: Naples, NY
Originally Posted By: TRapper
austin, i just finished 2 iowa pork chops and then you write that....dang you...go eat some oatmeal cake

I'll see your mom on Saturday... darn well better be some cake left for me!

I'm actually gonna try and sneak and extra piece or two, ship them down to Jtrapper via overnight mail. Costly, but he deserves the royal treatment after his big award at the NTA smile

#3970967 - 08/28/13 09:45 PM Re: Best Coon Bait for Early Season and Late [Re: TRapper]
TRapper Offline
trapper

and austin make sure you give that tall older bald headed man some grief for me too...

go easy on her though, she just had knee replacement surgery just over 2-3 weeks ago

www.CallTheTrapper.com

www.SlimPedersen.com