No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3942581 - 08/14/13 09:29 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: NWS,LLC]
HobbieTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: NWS,LLC
I figure a percentage based on number of traps set for however many number of days/nights. I do not figure a percentage based on the number of sets that connect with any target animal, however some figure that way. It is misleading.

lol.....There would be a lot of experts, using that calculation. lol

#3942603 - 08/14/13 09:44 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
sthet Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
when you start to try and figure the percentage of catches to checked traps you will be in for a big let down...1 in 5...1 in 20....don't really matter much...when compared to the total number of fur put in the shed at the end of the day....everyone should set for and expect 100% catch ratio...but that isn't realistic...number crunching has never worked even a little bit close to reality for me...the more effective sets you have out the more fur you bring in...coon trappers might get a better percent than mink trappers...mushrat trappers might get a better percent in the big marshes than on small streams....but percentages just shouldn't figure in...instead I try and figure the total number of fur I can catch at a given location...how long I could run that location until I get that number...or if it wouldn't be better spending my efforts somewhere else....if I make a coon set...would each trap count as one set or would the six or eight traps I place at one location count as one set...that location is set...I picked this location because I expected to catch 20 coon here...when I take those 20 from there...I don't care if only four of the eight traps connected...or at what ratio they did connect...it just doesn't make a difference

#3942622 - 08/14/13 09:53 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
Thanks for the replies so far they have been pretty informative to say the least. To better break down the percentages I will get into more detail. So far I have access to around 640 acres of ground that I will be the only trapper on. These are where I have the feeders out at this time (I've found that asking early seems to be the way to go). 6 locations total so far where I will be the only trapper. I plan to run for 20 days which is what I have asked off for vacation. So far on camera I have groups of 4-5 coon at every feeder every night, I think that I should be able to exhaust the population within 3 days at these sites. Then I have around 2,000 acres spread over 45 miles that at times will be contested. I won't be able to trap until the first week of December so I worry I may have a thinner population on these sites as well as some friendly competition (the landowners will let just about anyone in to clean up the mess). I've set my goal at 200 coon which would be around a 20% catch ratio which seems to be high based on the opinions so far. Only time will tell! Love to hear from anyone else on the matter.

#3942629 - 08/14/13 09:56 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Any dogs running loose around there?

#3942630 - 08/14/13 09:56 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
NWS,LLC Offline
trapper

Loc: richmond, virginia
I personally dont worry with catch percentage, it is not my motivation. I am concerned with how quick I clean a place's clock or how well a long line is producing over the long haul. Catch percentages don't reveal much really when comparing because most trappers situations, etc. are much different. You will know when you are at your limit and/or don't want to push anymore. There are consequences to making large catches in a short amount of time unless you are selling on carcass.

#3942655 - 08/14/13 10:11 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Otis Offline
trapper

Loc: Watertown, SD
Well if I'm under 5% I'm not happy (most of last fall) and if I'm over 10% I'll be tickled pink. But, on a 50 trap line, you might discover that 5 of your sets/spots take 50% of your catch over a week span. Little things can make a big difference, then. Putting a lot of attention into remakes, etc can really up your odds.

But who knows, for everyone it's different. A great trapper on bad ground won't catch much, and a bad trapper in the middle of a drunken coon disco will feel like he's a lot better than he is.

Just trying to survive in a world full of idiots.

#3942663 - 08/14/13 10:14 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
If you are starting on Dec. 1, and there are no dogs around, you should put out a bunch of snares while you are coon trapping. Bobcat season opens Dec. 1.

#3942694 - 08/14/13 10:40 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

BuckNE it is all open farm country, timbers etc. There are a few places where coon hounds run, but not farm dogs. I do plan to put in a few cat sets as well as some canine sets along the way. I snared last year and did well, but I did have a few instances where even 10 inches up coons were ruining sets and fur. It was enough to discourage me as a $20 coon became $5 or under. I'm not even factoring them in on a percentage just purely the 50 sets that I have devoted to coon. I probably caught 40-50 coon last year (non-target) in canine sets, and my way of thinking changed into targeting them specifically. I traded in multiple traps for more z's and dukes, and also traded some #3's in for #1.5-2's. I also found last year that our population of cats was down, and apparently I wasn't the only one. Both local buyers stated it was their lowest takes on cats in recent years. The population of coyotes has done quite well, but I also have seen local shotgunners that have as many as 40 coyotes in the back of their truck after a weekend of hunting. They tend to frequent the areas I have to trap, and even had multiple instances of tracks right next to my sets, which they didn't see in the snow last year. Which brings me back to my plan to target coons this year.

#3942702 - 08/14/13 10:45 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Looks like you guys trap a lot different than we do.
I trap all species on a registered trapline and I will typically run from 3 to 5 separate lines on a 400 sq km trapground.
Early season I am on a 3 day check and after freeze up I run a 5 day check.
I would not be happy,if more than half of my sets had not seen action on check day.
After January that expectation would drop some.
I have managed my primary trapground for more than 20 years and am very familiar with all of it,and the longer you are on a trapground the less traps you will have to run to catch as many or more animals as before you get to know the ground.In other words you become more efficient by setting traps that are consistent producers year after year and weeding out less productive sets.This keeps your costs to a minimum and production to a maximum.

#3942707 - 08/14/13 10:49 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Rick in mn Offline
trapper

Loc: Monticello, mn
Count the number of traps you have / divide by animals cought (targeted and no-targeted) and thats your percentege. I would guess that those doing nothing but running traps might average a little better then 10% some years while the others like me that are working full time and running a line and puttin the fur up and raising a family are a whole lot less the 10%, Why? It's all about time!. Once the season starts I donot have time to look for new areas, get permission. look to see the prey has changed their habits from last year because of something or someone. I took by best guess at what I could manage with my time and that is what I am stuck with.
That's my REALISTIC number

#3942748 - 08/14/13 11:11 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
elm river Offline
trapper

Loc: illinois rinard
If I get 10% I'll be thrilled .I'm wanting a little higher though people mentioned these sets that keep producing keep finding more of these is the key I believe

#3942757 - 08/14/13 11:19 AM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
sthet Offline
trapper

I would look at your situation a little differently...1st the two limiting factors....time and coon population...if you catch every coon you've taken pictures of that only make 30 coon...170 left to go...the other lands you have will be trapped by others...170 coon on a 2000 acre piece of property means every coon trapper in the surrounding area will be after that location...6 days to trap...40 coon a day average...out of 50 traps...not realistic there...it could happen though...but not with the locations you've described...for that goal of 200 coon...I would be buying a bunch more traps and gaining a bunch more permissions

#3942897 - 08/14/13 12:44 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
NWS,LLC Offline
trapper

Loc: richmond, virginia
Boco,

For example, if you check 50 beaver traps on a 5-day check on your line, that is 250 trap nights, so 25 beaver is still only a 10% catch. That is a good catch no doubt, but not a true 50% catch percentage. I usually have a significantly high number of pieces of fur in comparison to the number of 330s set on each check day too, but still a measley percentage if accurately figured especially when talking about otter. These guys wanted to talk true catch percentage so that is what I am pointing out.

#3942954 - 08/14/13 01:36 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

Sthet I think you are looking at it a little differently than me. I have 4-5 coons at each location every night in one picture. There are singles that come through the area alone, which is why I factored in 3 days to clear those areas. First night the group that comes together, and then the last two nights to pick up strays. The other 2,000 acres is random locations in a 45 mile area. I believe I pointed that out if not my apologies. It is crick/timber along a 45 mile stretch which is spread out and that is just a total of the acres combined. I do believe I am asking a lot to get 200 coon looking at everyone's numbers, but it's only August and I still have a couple months to find some honey holes smile

#3942977 - 08/14/13 01:46 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
sthet Offline
trapper

sorry for that miss understanding...still I think you understand what I am trying to say here...and I am only saying it this way to try and help you reach your goals...concentrate on the goal...forget the percentage....a few years ago I had the one and only 100% catch ratio...it was for beaver...while setting for mushrats...I found four natural dive-unders for beaver...I set a body gripper at each one...the next day each held a beaver and I pulled those sets...I didn't trap beaver again that season...I was 100% for the season...4 beaver for that accomplishment...the next year I worked some beaver for the county and towns and also for the state...I took over 250 beaver on those jobs...my catch ratio...I never figured it...but was over 1 in 100...so which % was better...doesn't matter...the end results were better with the small percentage

#3942997 - 08/14/13 02:00 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

I completely understand what you are saying. I was looking at the percentages to try to figure out what would be considered adequate for a daily catch by most's standards and see where I am at when the season begins.

#3943035 - 08/14/13 02:18 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
sthet Offline
trapper

200 coon goal....5 check days....40 coon per day...needed to reach that goal...that can be adjusted to what ever time you have into working your line...you will need both the area...with the coon population...and equipment to make a 40 coon daily catch...with 50 traps out you will have to have an 80% catch for that period of time...one day of heavy snow or freezing temps and that will not be likely

#3943060 - 08/14/13 02:32 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

I will have 20 days and 24 hour checks for 200 coon with 50 traps if I am doing my math right that's a 20% catch rate.

#3943069 - 08/14/13 02:37 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
yep, your math's correct. ten coon for 50 traps every day, all season. sounds do-able if you keep moving.

I pull out when my catch drops to that, but i'm trapping rats, mink and coon, so the rats make the bigger part of my catch.
I know I couldn't keep a 20% ave on just one of those.

#3943169 - 08/14/13 03:56 PM Re: Realistic outlook for catch percentage? [Re: Murse1986]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Your catch per trap night may be the same on a one day check as a three,but why spend time and money checking empty traps,when you could be setting more traps and letting your traps work.
Checking traps too often is counterproductive as it disturbs the wildlife unneccessarily.This will negatively affect your catch especially in winter snow conditions.You have to let your traps work and this means most will hold fur when you run the line.
Now if your laws require you to check traps every day then you are stuck I guess.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >