No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3938609 - 08/12/13 10:58 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
That one catch segment could have been produced from video taken over a 3 week period.

The way they make these shows is a camera crew spends a few months shooting hundreds of hours of video. Then the video is sent to a producer somewhere, who cuts and pastes pieces of it together into a story line. The segment with Marty's catch showing the lynx could have been spliced together from 3 different lynxes. Marty has no control over that.

#3938612 - 08/12/13 11:04 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: BuckNE]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
Well folks that's "reality" TV for you.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3938613 - 08/12/13 11:05 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: oldtrapper]
Patrice Offline
"Tman Feed Gestapo"

Loc: Sauk County, WI
Rich, the cat annoyer, specially trains his dogs to chase cats up to higher altitudes where they will not bother the ranchers' livestock again.

TURBO!
TURBOOO!

Rich stands on a high rock outcropping calling to his missing dogs, who all wish they had a different owner.

TUUURRRRBOOO!

Suddenly, while calling his dogs, Rich loses his footing and plunges hundreds of feet ...

TUUURRRRBOO - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye, Rich.

#3938616 - 08/12/13 11:06 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
Tomcat 30-06 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Kansas 50 yrs.
I would bet in real life Rich is more than likely a good houndsman and hunter. He just dosen't get to show his real ways in the show. None of them do, well maybe Useless does. Im not sure what he is.

#3938622 - 08/12/13 11:10 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: Tomcat 30-06]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Tomcat 30-06
I would bet in real life Rich is more than likely a good houndsman and hunter. He just dosen't get to show his real ways in the show. None of them do, well maybe Useless does. Im not sure what he is.

If Rich is a good houndsman, then they must be paying him a lot of money to look like a total idiot for the show.

#3938633 - 08/12/13 11:17 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
v.spradley Offline
trapper

Loc: Laurel ms.
Buckne, I was thinking the same thing. I would to love to know what discovery pays these guys... I ain't sure the money would be good enough for me to let the producer portray things I do any way he saw fit.

#3938653 - 08/12/13 11:33 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: Patrice]
ThumbStateTrappr Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
Originally Posted By: Patrice
Rich, the cat annoyer, specially trains his dogs to chase cats up to higher altitudes where they will not bother the ranchers' livestock again.

TURBO!
TURBOOO!

Rich stands on a high rock outcropping calling to his missing dogs, who all wish they had a different owner.

TUUURRRRBOOO!

Suddenly, while calling his dogs, Rich loses his footing and plunges hundreds of feet ...

TUUURRRRBOO - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye, Rich.

You been hangin' out with "She who shall not be named"? eek eek

A trapper is an addict, Furbearers the drug, The outdoors the enabler, And there is no cure.

#3938657 - 08/12/13 11:35 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
VAH20TRAP Offline
trapper

Loc: VIRGINIA
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice Marty's trap switch.

#3938669 - 08/12/13 11:42 AM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: BuckNE]
Tomcat 30-06 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Kansas 50 yrs.
Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Originally Posted By: Tomcat 30-06

If Rich is a good houndsman, then they must be paying him a lot of money to look like a total idiot for the show.

Yes Buck I bet they are paying him pretty well to look like that. I am sure if he lost his dogs he would use the tracking collars to find them if he could instead of walking around in circles hollering for them. Do you think Wiley Coyote was really that dumb on the Roadrunner show?? LOL

#3938787 - 08/12/13 12:37 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
Scully Offline
trapper

Loc: California :-(
"Mountain Men" is a little to scripted for me. I dedicated my 9 o'clock hour to a more educational program . "BREAKING BAD" was AWESOME.

#3938859 - 08/12/13 01:08 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: Scully]
Patrice Offline
"Tman Feed Gestapo"

Life Below Zero on the National Geographic Channel is so much better for trapping.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/life-below-zero/

At least some of the guys (Chip and Andy, but especially Erik) show how they make sets, including location, trap position, baits, etc. They show the catches. They show the skinning. They show some selling of furs and they talk about all aspects of it. It is really refreshing to see. I hate to almost see what Marty got in a trap on Mountain Men (usually in a partially blocked view) and then he tosses the animal where it can't be seen by the camera and it's not seen again.

I was really encouraged when I watched an earlier episode in which Marty skinned out a caribou with his wife and little daughter. That was good positive coverage of a hunting lifestyle, but they're a little less bold in the trapping arena. Sorry to get so off topic, but if anyone has not seen it yet, Life Below Zero brings the trapping coverage.

#3938887 - 08/12/13 01:23 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
thekid Online   content
trapper

Loc: Ford City, PA
After the first season of Gold Rush do you know what Discovery paid Todd Hoffman? 47 Million dollars to stay on the show after they had a bad first season, so think what History, which is a much bigger channel, pays these guys

#3938913 - 08/12/13 01:39 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: ThumbStateTrappr]
Patrice Offline
"Tman Feed Gestapo"

Originally Posted By: ThumbStateTrappr
You been hangin' out with "She who shall not be named"? eek eek

ThumbState, I don't know what happens to me when I watch the cat annoyer. When he says that if he falls it's all over, I find myself leaning forward to give him a little nudge. I don't know what gets into me! Maybe it IS coming from some darker power ... eek eek shocked

#3938918 - 08/12/13 01:42 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
Sharon Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest Montana ,rocky mtns...

#3938919 - 08/12/13 01:44 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
76chevy Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
I can't take any more of that show.....

not much "reality" there...

#3938981 - 08/12/13 02:28 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
Cameron Kelsey Online   content
trapper

Loc: PA / MN
You can pretty well count on every Sunday night/Monday morning there being another thread bashing Mountain Men. If you people all dislike the show that much why watch it? There have been countless threads on here with people grumbling about Mountain Men, Life Below Zero, Yukon Men, Swamp People, etc. Would you people there rather be some PETA sponsered show in place of them? I think it is good that trapping and outdoor living is getting some decent exposure. I hear plenty of non-outdoor people talking about the trapping they saw on Mountain Men or Yukon Men and how interesting it was. I like the fact trapping is getting some positive exposure. Yes, I realize these are dramatized for TV but it still beats half the garbage that is on the other channels.

#3938982 - 08/12/13 02:28 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
newears Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
I complain and laugh but the wife says it's for the kids. poor example if you ask me for kids.

#3939283 - 08/12/13 05:11 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: 1lessdog]
TrappingHardcore Offline
trapper

Loc: U.P of MI
Just give rich the boot and have marty take over hs spot. He is actually a bit enjoyable to watch.

#3939293 - 08/12/13 05:15 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
trapper234 Offline
trapper

Loc: Perkinstown,, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Cameron Kelsey
You can pretty well count on every Sunday night/Monday morning there being another thread bashing Mountain Men. If you people all dislike the show that much why watch it? There have been countless threads on here with people grumbling about Mountain Men, Life Below Zero, Yukon Men, Swamp People, etc. Would you people there rather be some PETA sponsered show in place of them? I think it is good that trapping and outdoor living is getting some decent exposure. I hear plenty of non-outdoor people talking about the trapping they saw on Mountain Men or Yukon Men and how interesting it was. I like the fact trapping is getting some positive exposure. Yes, I realize these are dramatized for TV but it still beats half the garbage that is on the other channels.

I agree!

#3939322 - 08/12/13 05:26 PM Re: Rich on Mountain men. [Re: ]
waveslider Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: buckmasters243
Originally Posted By: proratman
I only watched the first 15 minutes of the show. When Marty was making that lynx set,in the first camera shot of him he was setting a #3 coil spring and in the next camera shot at the same set it he was holding a set double long spring. Now onto Rich, when he was deer hunting up in the high country, he was stalking a group of mule deer. When the deer broke out of the cover and he shot at it two or three times, it somehow became a whitail deer. Did anyone else notice that? After shooting at it, he never followed up on the deer to check for a hit. There was at least a foot of snow on the ground. Following up on that deer in those conditions is childsplay. A bad example set there. Shame on you Rich!

I'm pretty sure he didn't shoot it or at it.He was complaining come on give me a shot.But when the deer was on a hill 50 yards a way he still couldn't shoot it.ANd the great part was when marty visited his lynx trap and it was already dead when he pulled up and rigamortis hadn't set in or froze.

Even my wife noticed that. Poor editing for sure.

H.L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >