No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3928043 - 08/06/13 03:54 PM What Coon Bait Is The Best?
BuckHunter45 Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri, USA
I'm so confused on what coon bait to buy out of FNT Post! Should I get Black Label, Coon Chum, Crawfish Coon Bait, Truckload Bait, Smokin Aces Sauce, Ulti-Mag Cherry, ETC. What do you use??????

#3928050 - 08/06/13 04:00 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
mjh Online   content
trapper

Loc: michigan
none of the above.....coon crunch was the original dry pellet type DP bait and still the BEST!!

do yourself a favor and check out www.kegcreekbaits-lures.com you wont regret it

Edited by mjh (08/06/13 04:00 PM)

#3928138 - 08/06/13 04:43 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: mjh]
ThumbStateTrappr Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
Originally Posted By: mjh
none of the above.....coon crunch was the original dry pellet type DP bait and still the BEST!!

do yourself a favor and check out www.kegcreekbaits-lures.com you wont regret it

Sounds like an advertisement. You got a dog in that hunt?

BH45, Pick out a few different flavors and see what works. There is no such thing as the best in this game.

A trapper is an addict, Furbearers the drug, The outdoors the enabler, And there is no cure.

#3928158 - 08/06/13 04:50 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
cole_train Offline
trapper

Loc: Cambridge, Nebraska
I love coon crunch as well but they are all good.

#3928192 - 08/06/13 05:11 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
Trapper Shrek Offline
trapper

Loc: Siren, WI
Kaatz Bros. Black Label!

#3928215 - 08/06/13 05:25 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
austinp Offline
trapper

Loc: Naples, NY
there is no "best"... no best bait, no best lure, no best set, no best trap, no best trapper... no "best" anything

just lots of different stuff that works equally well smile

#3928224 - 08/06/13 05:31 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Best bait is make a set right on several different sets of coon tracks. They ain't picky eaters. If they are hungry (they don't get all that fat from light eating) they will eat anything you will and lots of stuff you won't. Use something with a lot of odor. Make it easy to find and smell and you'll catch coons.

#3928234 - 08/06/13 05:38 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: danny clifton]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Best bait is make a set right on several different sets of coon tracks. They ain't picky eaters. If they are hungry (they don't get all that fat from light eating) they will eat anything you will and lots of stuff you won't. Use something with a lot of odor. Make it easy to find and smell and you'll catch coons.

yep and a few blind trail sets on either side will increase your catch also. Take all the advantages you legally can to fill your stretchers. Tom

#3928252 - 08/06/13 05:48 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
PappyD Offline
trapper

Loc: West Tennessee
Coons aren't too picky. I've got a mama and three half grown kits that I'm feeding every night. I have put everything that we have as leftovers out there, dry catfood, rotting bananas, and even cornbread and crackers! Thye've cleaned it all up every night!!!

#3928310 - 08/06/13 06:19 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: austinp]
Otter821 Offline
trapper

Loc: Van Buren, Arkansas
Originally Posted By: austinp
there is no "best"... no best bait, no best lure, no best set, no best trap, no best trapper... no "best" anything

just lots of different stuff that works equally well smile

I completely agree. What works for someone in the north may not be as good for us south boys. Gotta try different stuff. Find what's best for you!

#3928323 - 08/06/13 06:29 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
rszwieg Offline
trapper

Loc: Sugar Island, WI
Carp.

I'm a cheap smack.

#3928409 - 08/06/13 07:10 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
Cameron Kelsey Online   content
trapper

Loc: PA / MN
As others have pointed out there really is no best bait. There are several good baits on the market and multiple homemade concoctions that will catch you coon.

That being said I do have some favorites that I recommend:

- Coon Crunch by Keg Creek: Marty Smith, owner of Keg Creek Lures, makes good products and goes by braveheart on here. As mjh pointed out it is a great bait that works excellent in a DP. Quick and very easy to use with no mess.

- Shellfish Bait by Mike Marsyada: Great all around bait.

- Temptation by Trapper Art of Wisconsin: I ended up getting a jar of this stuff thrown in on a trapshed deal I made one fall. Gave it a shot and it was the best bait I used that season.

- Chunk of fish: I have caught plenty of coon using nothing but a chunk of fish, just as many, many others around the country have. One can only imagine the mountains of coon that have fallen to nothing more than a piece of carp or bullhead shoved in the back of a pocket set.

- Caught plenty of coon on straight shellfish oil too.

I have caught coon on several baits, these are just a few that I recommend because they have worked well for me. That is not to say that you won't have luck on some other bait.

#3928439 - 08/06/13 07:28 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
~ADC~ Offline
trapper

Loc: SE-Central Iowa
Originally Posted By: BuckHunter45
I'm so confused on what coon bait to buy out of FNT Post! Should I get Black Label, Coon Chum, Crawfish Coon Bait, Truckload Bait, Smokin Aces Sauce, Ulti-Mag Cherry, ETC. What do you use??????

I don't do it often but if you (BuckHunter45) send me a PM with your name and address I'll send you a free gallon of "The Best DP Bait" out there IMO, ADC's Coon Trail Mix.

~ADC~

#3928453 - 08/06/13 07:37 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: ~ADC~]
dob Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Arkinsaw
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
Originally Posted By: BuckHunter45

I don't do it often but if you send me a PM with your name and address I'll send you a free gallon of "The Best DP Bait" out there IMO, ADC's Coon Trail Mix.

~ADC~

A Free Gallon??!!! Well all i can say is i would buy his before i bought any of the others listed!! Oh wait I DID buy his and it works like a charm!!!

#3928468 - 08/06/13 07:45 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
KyTrapper03 Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
I had luck using strawberry marshmellows, and strawberry jelly. Its inexpensive and the marshmellows fit like a glove inside the DP.

#3928480 - 08/06/13 07:50 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
ThumbStateTrappr Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
5 gallon bucket. 2 gal. of corn, 2 gal. dry dog food, and pour some molasses on it. Cover bucket and shake. Instant DP bait.

A trapper is an addict, Furbearers the drug, The outdoors the enabler, And there is no cure.

#3928563 - 08/06/13 08:28 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: danny clifton]
trkyslyr Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MO
Originally Posted By: danny clifton

NO TRUER WORDS EVER SPOKEN!!!

#3928566 - 08/06/13 08:30 PM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
dannyvp Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
I like ADC's bait. I'm about to run out though.
Tried CMK I think it's called. It's ground up captain crunch and extra flavoring.
I like a dry bait for a dp myself. I've collected crawfish this year to try and make one, but now mark June is making one with it so I may try it.
I wish ADC would experiment with some other flavors for kicks and giggles.

#3928998 - 08/07/13 02:00 AM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
Bucndoe Offline
trapper

Loc: NJ
Sardines or jumbo marshmellows covered with maple syrup...cheapest brands you can find in the store

#3929032 - 08/07/13 05:25 AM Re: What Coon Bait Is The Best? [Re: BuckHunter45]
Tim trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Swampeast Missouri
Uhhh- wasent there a different 'best coon bait' thread on here yesterday?
Wonder what happened to that one.....
Tim B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >