Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Alaskan Dreamers #3914902
07/29/13 11:08 AM
07/29/13 11:08 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
All the reality shows lately have a lot of people looking at and dreaming of coming to Alaska. I just thought I would put this up to maybe bring some back to reality about how it really is here. This is not meant to discourage it is meant to make people think twice before jumping in the truck loading up the camping gear made for 20 degree weather and heading north on a whim.
1. If you saw it on a reality show it probably is scripted so don't believe that's how it always happens.
2. It gets cold and stays cold for a long time unless you are in SE you will spend more months out of the year in winter gear and driving a Snow machine than fishing in a Tee shirt
3. Commercial fishing is good hard work but landing a job on a boat is not something that happens every day
4. There is not a bull moose or brown bear behind every tree especially on the road system other palces may require special permits to hunt or maybe totally off limits if you aren't a resident of the immediate area do to land ownership.
5. Finding a place to trap if on the road system may take several years
6. you just don't pick a village on the map like Koliganek or Nupskiak and say I am moving to there.
7. You can not just fly into someplace along a river and build a cabin those days are long gone. Land is either private or federally or state owned
8. Done right with the proper thought and fore site you can do it but don't expect it to happen overnight

I am sure there is a lot more but I am not coming up with right now feel free to add to this. If we keep this serious and it doesn't get filled with junk we can pin it up top or archive it down the road

Last edited by otterman; 07/29/13 11:10 AM.

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3914910
07/29/13 11:14 AM
07/29/13 11:14 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
9. You really don't know what a lot of mosquitoes is like.
10. Bring lots of tools because everything breaks.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3914989
07/29/13 12:04 PM
07/29/13 12:04 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
11. If you have a product that works well, and you use it often, buy at least two.
12. Buy the best gear you can afford.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3915420
07/29/13 04:11 PM
07/29/13 04:11 PM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
13. Most of the stuff you order online has special pricing for Alaska. You can forget about free shipping to here.

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise."
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3915569
07/29/13 05:43 PM
07/29/13 05:43 PM
North Dakota
W
woodelf Offline
trapper
woodelf  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
14. If you live in town there is no dollar menu.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3915633
07/29/13 06:26 PM
07/29/13 06:26 PM
The great state of Utah
elkantlers Offline
trapper
elkantlers  Offline
trapper

The great state of Utah
15. Alaskans have a superiority complex. grin Couldn't resist

elkantlers
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3915654
07/29/13 06:38 PM
07/29/13 06:38 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
This is a good thread. I hope that their will be alot of you who live in Alaska that will keep adding to it. I live in the lower part of the U.S. (Arkansas) I am learning that Alaska is alot different than what i had invisioned it to be. I remember watching an Oprah show where they had this family who was home steding in Alaska. That was in 1992. I recently looked up the Alaska home steding law and the last home sted awarded in Alaska was in 1988 and has since been done away with. I think the biggest part of us here in the lower 48 have the wrong idea as to what Alaska is like. Although i think Alaska is alot more populated and grown alot in industry/business's in just the last 30 years alone and is probably no where near as rual as it was 30 years ago. As far as the harsh living conditions go, the cold,snow,ice well that is just the climate there and always will be. But even things like that will get easier to deal with as urbanization moves in with all of its modern convinces. What i don't understand is why is the cost of fuel so high in Alaska. With all of its fossil fuel I would think the price of petroleum would be fairly reasonible ? Most of what i see and know about Alaska is from reality shows or some TV documentry show.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: elkantlers] #3915688
07/29/13 07:05 PM
07/29/13 07:05 PM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska
Originally Posted By: elkantlers
15. Alaskans have a superiority complex. grin Couldn't resist

Elkantler, I can understand how it might be perceived that way from a distance, but that is far from what the OP is trying to convey here. The intent is more in line with what MA posted.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3915718
07/29/13 07:25 PM
07/29/13 07:25 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
How on earth do you handle all of thoes mosquitoes ? I fish alot along the Arkansas river and we have alot of mosquitoes but nothing like what i see on the TV show's that i see of Alaska while people are out hunting/fishing just outdoors in general. What really amazes me is you will see people there in Alaska doing something outdoors and there will be swarms of mosquitoes covering them up and the people act as if it is nothing and as if the mosquitoes are not bothering them that much at all ? The mosquitoes that we encounter her don't seem to be as big as the ones i see on TV there in Alaska. I don't think you would be able to see the ones we have here on film unless you zoomed in quite a bit. And even thogh there are alot of them they are not in huge swarms like you have in Alaska. But they will drive you up the wall and you will be covered with mosquitoe bites in a shot time. And to when it gets cold here in the winter and i am talking like 40 degree's our mosquitoes for the most part disapear until the next Spring/Summer. You will never see them if we have snow and ice on the ground. But on some of the shows of Alaska i see Carribou looking for patches of snow to get away from the mosquitoes ? So are mosquitoes out in the winter there to ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3915811
07/29/13 08:16 PM
07/29/13 08:16 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Yes the mosquitoes start coming out when there are bare patches of ground. Mosquitoes serve a vital service in Alaska. They keep it from being a paradise that Hollywood nut jobs would buy up and Californicate. If you don't want to get bit up, never change your cloths, or take a bath, and keep layering the Ben's 100.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Dirt] #3915935
07/29/13 09:03 PM
07/29/13 09:03 PM
Ontario
holdengr Offline
trapper
holdengr  Offline
trapper

Ontario
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Mosquitoes serve a vital service in Alaska. They keep it from being a paradise that Hollywood nut jobs would buy up and Californicate.

In Northern Ontario the mosquitoes/blackflys/no-seeums/ankle-biters are considered the price you pay to not have neighbors from Toronto......LOL

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3915937
07/29/13 09:04 PM
07/29/13 09:04 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: MAAA
This is a good thread. I hope that their will be alot of you who live in Alaska that will keep adding to it. I live in the lower part of the U.S. (Arkansas) I am learning that Alaska is alot different than what i had invisioned it to be. I remember watching an Oprah show where they had this family who was home steding in Alaska. That was in 1992. I recently looked up the Alaska home steding law and the last home sted awarded in Alaska was in 1988 and has since been done away with. I think the biggest part of us here in the lower 48 have the wrong idea as to what Alaska is like. Although i think Alaska is alot more populated and grown alot in industry/business's in just the last 30 years alone and is probably no where near as rual as it was 30 years ago. As far as the harsh living conditions go, the cold,snow,ice well that is just the climate there and always will be. But even things like that will get easier to deal with as urbanization moves in with all of its modern convinces. What i don't understand is why is the cost of fuel so high in Alaska. With all of its fossil fuel I would think the price of petroleum would be fairly reasonible ? Most of what i see and know about Alaska is from reality shows or some TV documentry show.

That last homestead was actually the last awarded in the nation. It was mine. When you say "it was done away with" you must mean the 1862 Homestead Act. That's correct. My homestead however, is still there.

To some extent you sort of get used to the mosquitoes. Also a liberal coating of DEET makes a big difference. Bur for sure, they are the one thing that makes summers so miserable no matter how nice the scenery and the fishing. BUT, there are worse things than mosquitoes. White sox and no-seeums will really drive you nuts. Unfortunately, they seem to peak during hunting season.

Fuel is expensive because of freight. Where I live it either comes up from Seattle on a barge or in a plane from Anchorage. In the urban areas most gasoline is shipped up from Washington. We have a couple of refineries but they make mostly diesel and jet fuel.

Modern conveniences are really modern problems, Most of them cost money and use fuel of one form or another.

I don't think urbanization will happen in my area very soon. The fact is rural Alaska is losing population. That's fine with many of us but it's a double edged sword. Fewer customers for a product means higher costs for the fewer units sold.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3915950
07/29/13 09:08 PM
07/29/13 09:08 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Good stuff otteman.....must be the reality shows....been asked to do a piece on this very subject!

I would add a serious #15. The darkness gets more people than the bears or mosquitoes. The winter days are short....in some areas almost nonresistant for a time.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: yukon254] #3916042
07/29/13 09:46 PM
07/29/13 09:46 PM
Northern CA
N
neverfinished Offline
trapper
neverfinished  Offline
trapper
N

Northern CA
You AK residents constantly talk about how bad it is ''on the road system''. How far off the road does one have to be before they are considered no longer ''on the road system''. I have a policy along the lines of never going farther in by motor than i can walk out on foot.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916050
07/29/13 09:48 PM
07/29/13 09:48 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
White 17, It is nice to meet you. You being the last person to homestead in Alaska is history. There are not many people who can say they spoke to the last U.S. homesteader. I may have it all wrong but when i looked it up on the internet it said that the last homestead in Alaska was filed in 1976 by Kenneth Deardroff that filed for 80 acres along the Stony river. And it was declared his in I think 1988.

I really hope your right about urbanization not happening anytime soon. I am only 52 years old and just in my short time here on earth i have seen urbanization really change things here in North West Arkansas. Congress gave the go ahead to build dams through out Oklahoma & Arkansas down to the Mississippi river so that it could be used for barge traffic. Of course about the same time they were building interstates & new highways everywhere which in our case was interstate I40. It was all done in the name of progress. Unfortunately urbanization comes along with progress. I really liked the way things were before they built all of these new roads & highways and damed up our water ways. Beleave it or not we use to have some pretty good hunting/fishing along the Arkansas river. But now there are a hundred hunters for every animal we have to hunt here in this state. When i was a kid the majority of the small towns did not have indoor plumbing, you had to carry you water from a well thoes things were a little inconvinent. But i would trade thoes inconvineces for the way things were back then in a heart beat.

The meadia is sure doing its best to help your great state of Alaska to grow. They have all kinds of TV shows that makes Alaska look attracktive. They have " Buying Alaska which is a real estate show, Alaska state troopers, Gold rush Alaska, Ice Road truckers, Yukon Alaska, Mountain man Alaska. " I am probably leaving out a couple, I know i am because i can think of one where these guys are doing some kind of survilist show. One show about a Taxidermist & Gun sporting good store, several hunting shows." So the media is doing its best to promote the last Front tier. I forgot the show crab fishing the bearing seas, and the gold mining show in nome Alaska. I would almost bet that in 30 years Alaskas population grow by almost half of what it is now. Oh yeah ! another show about bush planes in Alaska. I am telling you the media is flat putting the shows out about Alaska here in the lower 48.

Do you all get all of these shows there in Alaska ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916064
07/29/13 09:53 PM
07/29/13 09:53 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Yep that's me in your first paragraph.

I suppose we have all those shows here. I don't have TV so can't say for sure.

I suspect there are many who feel they were born a hundred years too late

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916107
07/29/13 10:11 PM
07/29/13 10:11 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Another thing folks don't think about is food storage. The voles, shrews, and squirrels are as ravenous as wolves and WILL find a way into dry goods unless proper storage methods (and critter control) are used.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916164
07/29/13 10:37 PM
07/29/13 10:37 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
I bet you are right. There are probably alot who feel they were born 100 years to late. I have never thought of it that way but i guess i probably fall in that category myself. I guess that is why Alaska is so appealing to alot of people. People wathch these reality shows of Alaska, its beautiful scenry,abundance of wildlife, then they convince themselfs they could move there build a cabin, trap to make enough money to buy supplys and kill enough game to live off of. Like the first settlers of North America did. But this day and time it is just not that way. Mr. White 17 again it was sure a pleasure to have met you even though it was not in person, i would have never thought i would have met up with the last homesteader on of all places the internet and on a trapping forum to boot ! You probably don't think much of it but you are and will be consider history. I hope that you write a book or someone documents your adventures while homesteading. You know i am sure there are books written by some of the earlier homesteaders and are equally impressive. But somehow being the very last and probably the last ever here in the U.S. is a pretty special thing in my oppinion. I would love to hear about your years homesteading but i won't bother you by asking about them because i know it would take alot of typeing on a key board to tell about them. But if you would not mind me asking how old are you now and do you and your family still live on the homestead ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916183
07/29/13 10:41 PM
07/29/13 10:41 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Im glad the media keeps its focus on Alaska. If they were to compare land mass to population it wouldnt be so appealing. With a landmass of just over 650,000 square miles and a population of almost 750,000 it is way crowded by Canadian standards........Wyoming I think even has fewer people per sq mile......Yukon has about 186,000 sq miles and only 30,000 people on a busy day......

W17, you are not missing a thing without TV

#16 Life in the bush is hard work.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916218
07/29/13 10:54 PM
07/29/13 10:54 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I'm certain you're right about the TV Dave. About Wyoming too for that matter.

MAAA: It was nothing but a fluke of timing I think.

I just turned 69 and do not live on my homestead any more. A divorce and an ex wife took care of that. I'm currently about 100 miles north of there.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916363
07/30/13 12:21 AM
07/30/13 12:21 AM
Alaska
B
Big finn Offline
trapper
Big finn  Offline
trapper
B

Alaska
#16 learn what overflow is...

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916447
07/30/13 02:51 AM
07/30/13 02:51 AM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
I want to move to Alaska, but I know most of these things. But I also go fishing in Northern Canada every summer and the bugs are awful. Where I live in ND, mosquitoes are worse then most of the region. But what about transportation? That's always been my #1 worry. I can't drive everywhere like we can here...

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916450
07/30/13 03:12 AM
07/30/13 03:12 AM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
You'll need "tools." 4 wheelers, snow machines, boats.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916459
07/30/13 04:53 AM
07/30/13 04:53 AM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
I have never and will never get used to Bugs of any kind. I choose to outfit myself against them. Not into Deet application other than on my clothes.
And I will take mosquitoes over noseeums any day.

This is my latest in combat attire. Having a simple bug net over your head makes a world of difference and this setup is even better.
http://www.bugshirt.com/products/elite/

From there website.

As fun as it is to shoot moose and caribou I always felt I had better access to hunting in Montana. From where I lived I could hunt mule deer, whitetail deer, and Elk and Bighorn sheep in an open hunt on the Yellowstone Park border. Bighorn, goats, moose by drawing if you were lucky. In a few hours I could drive and hunt turkey and antelope. Many different species of upland game birds and waterfowl. But times have changed there too I am sure.

Alaska has opportunity but you need to be prepared to work for it. And other times it falls into your lap. Finding yourself where it is good hunting for more than one big game species is an exception not the rule.
I have put over 500 miles on a three day weekend to hunt caribou by snowmachine. Over 400 miles on a trip with a 6 year old between my front legs. Most people could not even fathom that.
It makes for some memories and it takes a little different perspective on life to take advantage of what Alaska can offer up.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916489
07/30/13 06:48 AM
07/30/13 06:48 AM
Wisconsin
T
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper
TrappinAlaska  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Most Alaskans aren't from Alaska! Nearly everyone moved up at some point, very few were born and stayed. For everyone that did come up and stay more than a year or two I would be willing to say at least ten never lasted that long. What this means is you will have a lot of short term friends from every corner of the US. You will also get invited to birthdays, Christmas, and other special occasions by people you barely know. Folks want to rebuild that family frame work and do it by assembling a bunch of folks in the same boat as them 3000 miles away from familiar.

Member of:
ATA
WTA
NRA

Basswood Fox Stretchers Forsale

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Family Trapper] #3916571
07/30/13 08:20 AM
07/30/13 08:20 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
I have never and will never get used to Bugs of any kind. I choose to outfit myself against them. Not into Deet application other than on my clothes.
And I will take mosquitoes over noseeums any day.

This is my latest in combat attire. Having a simple bug net over your head makes a world of difference and this setup is even better.
http://www.bugshirt.com/products/elite/

From there website.

As fun as it is to shoot moose and caribou I always felt I had better access to hunting in Montana. From where I lived I could hunt mule deer, whitetail deer, and Elk and Bighorn sheep in an open hunt on the Yellowstone Park border. Bighorn, goats, moose by drawing if you were lucky. In a few hours I could drive and hunt turkey and antelope. Many different species of upland game birds and waterfowl. But times have changed there too I am sure.

Alaska has opportunity but you need to be prepared to work for it. And other times it falls into your lap. Finding yourself where it is good hunting for more than one big game species is an exception not the rule.
I have put over 500 miles on a three day weekend to hunt caribou by snowmachine. Over 400 miles on a trip with a 6 year old between my front legs. Most people could not even fathom that.
It makes for some memories and it takes a little different perspective on life to take advantage of what Alaska can offer up.

Should I ask the obvious ?

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916673
07/30/13 09:57 AM
07/30/13 09:57 AM
North Central Montana
H
HeavyGunner Offline
trapper
HeavyGunner  Offline
trapper
H

North Central Montana
You are certainly right about Montana changing FT. Montana has a ton of misconceptions just like AK. Much of the good hunting here has been leased up by out of staters or they are even buying up farms and literally paying someone to stay year 'round to make sure you don't set foot on there land. I have heard that the cost of living is much higher in AK, do the wages reflect this? Or do things like not having a vehicle payment and insurance payment make up for this in areas where there is limited vehicle access? Are there things that are cheaper in AK then the lower 48?

Last edited by HeavyGunner; 07/30/13 10:00 AM. Reason: Added question
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916691
07/30/13 10:12 AM
07/30/13 10:12 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
#17- You will almost certainly NOT strike it rich!

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916692
07/30/13 10:13 AM
07/30/13 10:13 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
FT is right about the hunting. I wrote an article for bowhunter about that a few years ago. In Alaska as well as northern Canada big game densities are much lower than most lower 48 states. Non resident hunters have a tendency to get frustrated very quickly because they dont see the amount of game they expect. I deal with that every year. Hard for guys who are used to seeing 100 deer a day wrap their head around the idea that they might only see two or three bulls in their entire hunt.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916783
07/30/13 11:19 AM
07/30/13 11:19 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
#18. You were born with A brain use it! If it looks risky , dangerous or deadly it probably is and can and will kill you. Learn to make good choices and know your limitations. Every year people die because they made poor choices, This applies everywhere

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916788
07/30/13 11:20 AM
07/30/13 11:20 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
#19 extra days Be prepared for the worst weather and to stay out extra days

Last edited by otterman; 07/18/14 02:12 AM.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3916869
07/30/13 12:16 PM
07/30/13 12:16 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
I guess the not so obvious, for people with a skewed sense of humor (:D). It is much easier to deal with a Sleepy child on a snowmobile when they are in front of you rather then when behind you falling to the ground rather than into your arms when they can't stay awake any longer. Sometimes my writing leaves too much room for interpretation. Sorry.

#20 Day to day living is a lot cheaper in the bush than on the road system. A lot competing for the green In your billfold living in town. I would go a long time without taking my wallet out of my pocket in the bush. Isn't a day in the city that it doesn't happen. Not saying it isn't expensive as there are tradeoffs in expenses. But that availability makes it a lot easier to spend money.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: yukon254] #3916989
07/30/13 01:42 PM
07/30/13 01:42 PM
Alaska
P
perrydog Offline
trapper
perrydog  Offline
trapper
P

Alaska
Originally Posted By: yukon254
Im glad the media keeps its focus on Alaska. If they were to compare land mass to population it wouldnt be so appealing. With a landmass of just over 650,000 square miles and a population of almost 750,000 it is way crowded by Canadian standards........Wyoming I think even has fewer people per sq mile......Yukon has about 186,000 sq miles and only 30,000 people on a busy day......

W17, you are not missing a thing without TV

#16 Life in the bush is hard work.

You are partially right....at least about density in the Yukon. Wyoming does have fewer people.....by ~160K, but it is much smaller( 97,000 vs 663,000 sq miles). Wyoming has 5.8 people per square mile vs 1.26 in Alaska.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Aknative] #3917073
07/30/13 03:03 PM
07/30/13 03:03 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted By: Aknative
You'll need "tools." 4 wheelers, snow machines, boats.

And you will need a truck and trailers to haul it all around if you live on the road system.

#21 Everything you could possibly ever want is either not here or broken and being used for something other than its intended purpose.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3917430
07/30/13 06:39 PM
07/30/13 06:39 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
650,000 square miles is indeed a very large land mass and if all 650,000 square miles were habitible Alaska indeed could have a very large population and not be very noticible. But when it comes down to it how much of that 650,000 square miles is frozen lakes,rivers,mountain peaks,glaicers, areas that people are not going to build towns, citys, subburbs on. When you look at it that way that vast 650,000 square miles gets dwindled down in size. With the worlds population currently at 8 billion people and steadly growing even Americas last frontier the great state of Alaska will get plenty crowed and i would bet it will be that way with in the next 50 years. Most of the lower 48 is in trouble with the economy the way it is now. There is only so many jobs to be had and people are looking for other ways to make a living. I know for the average family it is not realistic to think they could move to a place like Alaska and live mostly off of the land alone. But alot of them will and do try it. The more that do it, the more business & industry follow along behind them. Urbanization is taking over all over the world.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3917592
07/30/13 08:08 PM
07/30/13 08:08 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
You can fly for several hours here and cross over no one depending on your heading. The road system will get more crowded than it is but I suspect there will be vacant areas the size of some states for a very long time to come.

When we travel to Anchorage from here it is a one hour flight. During that time we fly over probably 100 people or less until just prior to landing in Anchorage. The Alaska Range is between us and Anchorage (thank God !). At 250 mph it takes about 30 minutes just to cross the mountains. There are a couple peaks over 20,000 and several hills over 8000 feet. Pretty vertical country. Nobody living out there.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: white17] #3917695
07/30/13 08:53 PM
07/30/13 08:53 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: white17
You can fly for several hours here and cross over no one depending on your heading. The road system will get more crowded than it is but I suspect there will be vacant areas the size of some states for a very long time to come.

When we travel to Anchorage from here it is a one hour flight. During that time we fly over probably 100 people or less until just prior to landing in Anchorage. The Alaska Range is between us and Anchorage (thank God !). At 250 mph it takes about 30 minutes just to cross the mountains. There are a couple peaks over 20,000 and several hills over 8000 feet. Pretty vertical country. Nobody living out there.

Fly a little lower and you can see all the recreational cabins in the Armpit. frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3917697
07/30/13 08:54 PM
07/30/13 08:54 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Yeah that's true but at that point you're over the outer marker, just about. smile

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3917779
07/30/13 09:27 PM
07/30/13 09:27 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
650,000 square miles is indeed a very large land mass and if all 650,000 square miles were habitible Alaska indeed could have a very large population and not be very noticible. But when it comes down to it how much of that 650,000 square miles is frozen lakes,rivers,mountain peaks,glaicers, areas that people are not going to build towns, citys, subburbs on. When you look at it that way that vast 650,000 square miles gets dwindled down in size. With the worlds population currently at 8 billion people and steadly growing even Americas last frontier the great state of Alaska will get plenty crowed and i would bet it will be that way with in the next 50 years. Most of the lower 48 is in trouble with the economy the way it is now. There is only so many jobs to be had and people are looking for other ways to make a living. I know for the average family it is not realistic to think they could move to a place like Alaska and live mostly off of the land alone. But alot of them will and do try it. The more that do it, the more business & industry follow along behind them. Urbanization is taking over all over the world.

A friend owns a gas station on the Alcan......over the last few years he has seen an increase in familys heading north......many of them are broke or close to it.....sometimes they trade stuff for fuel. Most are middle aged and have families ......very tough position to be in and I really feel for those folks but I look at it like this, America wanted change and they got it......voting that guy in once I can understand.....everyone makes mistakes. But twice! Yea the population of AK will grow......those people have no-where else to go....

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3917995
07/30/13 10:41 PM
07/30/13 10:41 PM
AK / ND
A
aknome Offline
trapper
aknome  Offline
trapper
A

AK / ND
I don't see Alaska growing very much without some new industry to bring people long term. You have to have some income to live whether in the bush or on the road system. Those broke folks yukon mentioned won't last. We have a bunch of dreamers here in Nome the last couple years and very few will be here long term, evan with the lure of "easy" gold.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3918021
07/30/13 10:50 PM
07/30/13 10:50 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
The problem with 'new' industry is the cost of energy. It just doesn't pencil out to open a new type of business when fuel costs are what they are now and rising.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3918050
07/30/13 11:01 PM
07/30/13 11:01 PM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
come on now Yukon, not all of us voted him in! I voted for Ken!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3918058
07/30/13 11:07 PM
07/30/13 11:07 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Yeah !

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Tradbow1] #3918071
07/30/13 11:15 PM
07/30/13 11:15 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: Tradbow1
come on now Yukon, not all of us voted him in! I voted for Ken!

Thats a very common comeback.......all I can say is somebody did! ......twice! wink
wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3918129
07/31/13 12:01 AM
07/31/13 12:01 AM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
I know this is a stupid question but why don't people there in Alaska farm moose like people do cattle in the lower 48 ? Alot of the western states farm elk and sell its meat. I know there would be a market for the meat ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3918209
07/31/13 02:25 AM
07/31/13 02:25 AM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
they farm bison and tourists...isn't that enough?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3918347
07/31/13 08:19 AM
07/31/13 08:19 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I know this is a stupid question but why don't people there in Alaska farm moose like people do cattle in the lower 48 ? Alot of the western states farm elk and sell its meat. I know there would be a market for the meat ?

They eat an awful lot ! Better to let them feed themselves and then hunt them

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3918610
07/31/13 11:15 AM
07/31/13 11:15 AM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska

It's not a stupid question MAAA. IMO, there are places it could be done successfully, but it is against the law to farm them in Alaska.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3918844
07/31/13 01:48 PM
07/31/13 01:48 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
And the beef industry would probably throw a fit like they did when did with the reindeer and lobbied to make it illegal for anyone but natives to raise them and that's probably why its illegal to raise moose as well.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919203
07/31/13 05:31 PM
07/31/13 05:31 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
I looked up moose farming on the internet and found that russia has been experimenting with moose farming for about the last 50 years. The way i understood the results was that moose tend to be a more solitary type animal rather than herd animals like cattle and would not fair as well farming them like you would cattle. But working with them on a larger scale like ranchers do was something that the russians were leaning toward. They were studying their milk production and other things.

I seen a documentry on TV years ago about the Inuit Eskimo's who managed herds of it was either caribou or reindeer and they were very successful at it. They traveled with the herds as they would migrate but what they were doing was a farming practice sort of like sheep farmers do in the lower 48 mostly in the Western states where they run sheep on National Forest lands. The herders move their sheep from one mountain meadow to the next.

yukonjeff, if that is the case to where it is only legal for the natives to raise reindeer and sell them, then if i was a native Alaskan I would take advantage of that and turn it into a money maker.

Actually there is probably nobody better than the decendants of the Eskimo's that has lived in Alaska over the last hundreds of years that would know what could be and how to farm Alaskas natural resources.

In my opinion alot of the old methods are better than the new ones.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919249
07/31/13 05:54 PM
07/31/13 05:54 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Not as easy as it sounds refer to Dirts #9

The herds of Reindeer here in the state was impressive at one time now there are just a few small herds left not many people want to follow Reindeer around on the tundra 24/7

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919290
07/31/13 06:16 PM
07/31/13 06:16 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
If you run it like a business and got herds big enough it looks like you could have crews work the herds in shifts. Work so many days on and so many off. No matter what kind of farming you do in order to make money you have to do it in numbers. The larger the herds the more money you have to operate with. All of your farming exspense's that you are out from paying crews to manage the herds, equipment you have to have, fuel and anything else involved with your farming operation is all tax deductible. There are alot of people who would really enjoy following Reindeer arround on the tundra. Now them dang mosquitoes is another story. You people have the worst mosquitoe problem i have ever seen. And big mosquitoes to.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919315
07/31/13 06:28 PM
07/31/13 06:28 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
yukonjeff, what has happened to the Reindeer herds that has caused them to dwindle down to just a few ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919322
07/31/13 06:36 PM
07/31/13 06:36 PM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
Any Alaskans, do you have to live in the bush, or make 6 figures to have great backcountry hunts without running into anyone? I was told you do. They said I'll have to hunt the road system and fight the orange army to even tag out. That doesn't sound pleasant by any means.

And I don't want an outfitter, ever. Too pricey and wouldn't feel like I was the one that hunted it. I'd rather spend 1-2 weeks on a legal sheep (insert any big game animal here) until I seal the deal, ya know?

Thanks, Justin.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3919347
07/31/13 06:53 PM
07/31/13 06:53 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
yukonjeff, what has happened to the Reindeer herds that has caused them to dwindle down to just a few ?

The government enacted a law that eliminated all non Natives ownership of Reindeer bought up the herds and they were turned over to Native ownership by anyone that wanted to take them.

According to the book "Alaska's Wolfman" by Jim Rearden very good read BTW

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Backcountry] #3919351
07/31/13 06:55 PM
07/31/13 06:55 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: SloughTrapper#4
Any Alaskans, do you have to live in the bush, or make 6 figures to have great backcountry hunts without running into anyone? I was told you do. They said I'll have to hunt the road system and fight the orange army to even tag out. That doesn't sound pleasant by any means.

And I don't want an outfitter, ever. Too pricey and wouldn't feel like I was the one that hunted it. I'd rather spend 1-2 weeks on a legal sheep (insert any big game animal here) until I seal the deal, ya know?

Thanks, Justin.

Hey! Now! I make sure all my hunters feel like they could have done it without my worthless no-nothin arse being there.
People skills. wink

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919364
07/31/13 07:01 PM
07/31/13 07:01 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
You don't HAVE to make 6 figures. But it you will always bump into people any where near the road system. Everybody has vehicles, lots of people have ATVs, less people have boats, less have airboats, and even less have planes. The less people have the mode of transport you're using more area you can get where there will be less people.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919462
07/31/13 07:53 PM
07/31/13 07:53 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
You can't hunt sheep and a couple other species without a guide if you are a non-resident.

You could easily hunt moose or caribou or black bear and never see another soul for weeks or months. Charter a plane and get dropped off wherever you want (if landing/takeoff is possible). Maybe a couple grand depending on where you go and how much stuff you have.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919953
07/31/13 11:13 PM
07/31/13 11:13 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Even paying an outfitter in AK is no guarantee that you wont see other hunters......we get hunters every year who have done guided hunts up there and saw lots of other hunters.... Im sure not all areas are like that but it seems like quite a few.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3919959
07/31/13 11:18 PM
07/31/13 11:18 PM
Bethel, AK
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"
Kusko  Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Bethel, AK
Rule number.....20??

Use the boyscout motto and "Be Prepared". It's the environment that will kill you, not the animals.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." Linus Van Pelt

www.alaskafinandfur.com
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3920345
08/01/13 11:12 AM
08/01/13 11:12 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
In Southeast, there is quite a bit of room, however, private land off the grid is hard to come by, and very expensive. There are a few alternatives, such as a "floathouse", or live-aboard boat. The thing is, the water, weather, and terrain pretty much dictates every aspect of an outing, be it a day trip, an extended hunting or fishing trip, or a full blown adventure. This is dangerous and unforgiving country, and as such, Mother Nature pretty much keeps competition and people density in check. (I'm talking about away from towns of any size).
There is certainly no lack of oportunity to get well away from the beaten path around here, and there are vast areas that probably haven't seen a human in 100 years. The challenge lies in getting there while carrying most of what you will require to survive on your back. Much of this country (southeast Alaska) is not suited for snow machines, and if you head inland from the coast, you are climbing mountains, steep, large ones. And the bulk of them are only climbable with techincal gear.
Then there are the valleys: Some are broad, glacier-fed systems that go for miles and miles, but are restricted to travel by specialized craft, in some cases air boats only. Others are small creeks with brush choked right to the bank, and other than a game trail here or there, are difficult to navigate at best.
Coastal travel is far and away the most popular mode of getting around here, and there is really a LOT of room. Yes, certain areas can get busy, and there are not many "secret spots" close to town, but one can certainly have a beach or cove all to himself with a little boat gas.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3920414
08/01/13 12:19 PM
08/01/13 12:19 PM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska
Another thing that will impede population growth here is the fact that only a small percentage of the land is in private ownership. The federal government owns the majority of the land, and it's
all labeled and locked up in one designation or another. The state is in the real estate business and has subdivided some of their land, usually some of their least desirable land, and in out of the way places. But, most of the country is locked up, and the kings men keep tightening the regulations for use and access to it, so I don't see them ever allowing private ownership of any of their current holdings. If there was another population boom here like we had in the '70's, I honestly don't know where the people would stay.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Spek Jones] #3920445
08/01/13 12:40 PM
08/01/13 12:40 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
Another thing that will impede population growth here is the fact that only a small percentage of the land is in private ownership. The federal government owns the majority of the land, and it's
all labeled and locked up in one designation or another. The state is in the real estate business and has subdivided some of their land, usually some of their least desirable land, and in out of the way places. But, most of the country is locked up, and the kings men keep tightening the regulations for use and access to it, so I don't see them ever allowing private ownership of any of their current holdings. If there was another population boom here like we had in the '70's, I honestly don't know where the people would stay.

It appears they are going to come here. I can't wait till they build the road, so I can get on it and leave. frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3920478
08/01/13 12:56 PM
08/01/13 12:56 PM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska
Dirt, I was in your neck of the woods back in the '80's. One of my brothers and I flew in there and finished a log cabin for a guy named Jerry Baker. He had acquired a lot in one of the state subdivisions I mentioned above. Swallowed a lot of mosquitos on that trip. We made sure not to leave anything there that we would have to come back for. smile

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3920556
08/01/13 02:01 PM
08/01/13 02:01 PM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
#21 (with credit to my friend "Hook," a one-armed trapper on the Chatanika River...) "If you're gonna play 'dumb-azs," play it down South someplace where you don't die when you finish in First Place....!"

Pete

Last edited by Pete in Frbks; 08/01/13 02:02 PM.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3921385
08/01/13 09:54 PM
08/01/13 09:54 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
#22 "Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT like trapping in Iowa" LOL

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3921890
08/02/13 10:47 AM
08/02/13 10:47 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Ditches and farm ponds are few and far between!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3925855
08/05/13 11:30 AM
08/05/13 11:30 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
#23- Summer is spent preparing for winter.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: alaska viking] #3925904
08/05/13 12:06 PM
08/05/13 12:06 PM
Finland
P
P.A.L Offline
trapper
P.A.L  Offline
trapper
P

Finland
Originally Posted By: alaska viking
#23- Summer is spent preparing for winter.

That's living in north. 4 month's busy time and then the winter is here again and the darkness. 24 hours per day of sun is nice, but way too short period when compared to long winter.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3926225
08/05/13 04:09 PM
08/05/13 04:09 PM

J
Joe B
Unregistered
Joe B
Unregistered
J

#24 Have a few grand in cash and an old Ford pickup with a camper. Spend a couple months sightseeing and fishing and camping then leave at first frost.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3926309
08/05/13 05:19 PM
08/05/13 05:19 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
How long does darkness last and is it a total darkness ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3926481
08/05/13 07:01 PM
08/05/13 07:01 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Not here. I'm a little north of 62 degrees. In December we have about 4 hours daylight. It's great ! I wouldn't care if I never saw the sun again !

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3926488
08/05/13 07:03 PM
08/05/13 07:03 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
#25 When it starts raining it's hunting season, unless you're in Southeast.

Last edited by Dirt; 08/05/13 08:27 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3926627
08/05/13 08:19 PM
08/05/13 08:19 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

How long does darkness last and is it a total darkness ?

Barrow is at 71 degrees north and Ketchikan is at 55 degrees north, that's more than 1000 miles between the two. There's a lot of difference in daylight hours depending on how far north you are. Where I trap in S.E. Alaska I have more than six good hours of daylight on the shortest day of the year. If I really stretch it it's more like eight hours from first light to dark. Alaska is a huge place with very different conditions from one area to another. Where I trap the average daily temperature is about 32 degrees in December.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3927202
08/06/13 01:13 AM
08/06/13 01:13 AM
user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
martenpine Offline
trapper
martenpine  Offline
trapper

user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
#26 No matter how much your signifigant other loves Alaska in the summer, plan ahead for an alternative unless she's Alaskan grown.

When there is shot in the air, there is hope.
When in doubt, throttle out!
ATA, NTA, NATCA, ITA
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3928572
08/06/13 09:34 PM
08/06/13 09:34 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
I bet it would take a pretty special woman to live in remote Alaska ? But i would be willing to bet that if she was as you say was an Alaska grown woman, would probably be a pretty good woman. Might be a little more drama free as compared to these lower 48 women ? Don't get me wrong we have alot of good womens here in the lower 48 its just that you have to test drive several of them before you find a good one.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3928940
08/07/13 12:23 AM
08/07/13 12:23 AM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I was told that southern Alaska is similar to northern Midwest. For example I live in east ND and I our winter starts in November and ends in usually beginning of May. Is that comparable to like Anchorage? The temps get down to -30 or colder every winter just about .

Obviously its a lot drier here as its not coastal.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3928942
08/07/13 12:24 AM
08/07/13 12:24 AM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
Its consistently in the teens-30s all winter long here.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Backcountry] #3929376
08/07/13 12:03 PM
08/07/13 12:03 PM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I was told that southern Alaska is similar to northern Midwest. .

I heard it is pretty much like Iowa...

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Hupurest] #3929735
08/07/13 03:52 PM
08/07/13 03:52 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Hupurest
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I was told that southern Alaska is similar to northern Midwest. .

I heard it is pretty much like Iowa...

Refer back to #22

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3929968
08/07/13 05:54 PM
08/07/13 05:54 PM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
I believe you haha, but North Dakota is harsher than Iowa haha. But thanks for clearing it up.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3931418
08/08/13 01:08 PM
08/08/13 01:08 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Trapping in southeast.......

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3931926
08/08/13 05:12 PM
08/08/13 05:12 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Do you have any deep snow sets for coons ?

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3932370
08/08/13 08:40 PM
08/08/13 08:40 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
I really like to hunt/fish/trap but if i got up, opened the door and there was that much snow on the ground, I would just go back to bed. That looks really cold.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3932393
08/08/13 08:48 PM
08/08/13 08:48 PM
Wisconsin
T
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper
TrappinAlaska  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Heck, he is in jeans and you can see exposed skin, that not cold it's, balmy!

Member of:
ATA
WTA
NRA

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3932467
08/08/13 09:17 PM
08/08/13 09:17 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Looks wet to me

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Backcountry] #3932742
08/08/13 11:07 PM
08/08/13 11:07 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I was told that southern Alaska is similar to northern Midwest. For example I live in east ND and I our winter starts in November and ends in usually beginning of May. Is that comparable to like Anchorage? The temps get down to -30 or colder every winter just about .

My part of MN is colder on average in the winter than Anchorage.

Look back to waggler's post about average daily temp in December in the SE where he traps. About 32 degrees.

You would be able to handle it.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Steven 49er] #3932773
08/08/13 11:18 PM
08/08/13 11:18 PM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
I actually prefer trapping at below 0 as the snow stays dry and fluffy instead of wet and sticky when it gets up above 0............

I once held the yardstick of another's perfection, I threw it down and carved my own........

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3932955
08/09/13 02:55 AM
08/09/13 02:55 AM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
Thanks for the reply Steven trapper 49er, looks good to me!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3933275
08/09/13 10:44 AM
08/09/13 10:44 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
I can assure you that at least where I trap, it doesn't average 32 during trapping season, and dealing with frozen bays and shoreline is a regular occurance. Also, with the exception of very near shore, snow shoes are a must.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: alaska viking] #3933355
08/09/13 11:39 AM
08/09/13 11:39 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I can assure you that at least where I trap, it doesn't average 32 during trapping season, and dealing with frozen bays and shoreline is a regular occurance. Also, with the exception of very near shore, snow shoes are a must.

Alaska Viking, I trap nearly 200 miles south of you. This illustrates my point on the great differences found from place to place in Alaska. For example; if you're standing on the north end of Wrangell Island and the temperature is 30 and you look about 8 miles to the NNE to Point Rothsay near the mouth of the Stikine River, the temperature will be about 10 degrees cooler at Point Rothsay. Go another 10 miles upstream and it will be another 10 degrees colder. Also I've notice that even thought there may only be a skiff of snow, or no snow on the beach, all I have to do is go up a river for half a mile or gain 100 feet in elevation and I can have snow nearly up to my waist.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3933384
08/09/13 11:59 AM
08/09/13 11:59 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
I agree 100%. When I get up in the morning, the weather and temperatures at my house have pretty much no bearing on what it's doing on my line 30 miles north!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Steven 49er] #3933483
08/09/13 01:06 PM
08/09/13 01:06 PM
North Dakota
W
woodelf Offline
trapper
woodelf  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er

My part of MN is colder on average in the winter than Anchorage.

Look back to waggler's post about average daily temp in December in the SE where he traps. About 32 degrees.

You would be able to handle it.

I grew up in Minnesota A small town by duluth to be exact "Carlton." I thought I new what cold weather was. I joined the Air Force and got stationed in Eielson by Fairbanks. That is when I found out what cold really could be. You can learn to cope with it really easy with the right cloths though. Then I lived in Minot, ND. It does get cold there with the wind too. I would say on the really windy days in ND it could compare to some of the cold weather in Fairbanks. To date the coldest place I have lifed is Fairbanks. I really did enjoy it up there and hope to move back as soon as I retire. I lived in Anchorage for 4 years also. the weather is warmer, but finding a place to trap is REALLY REALLY hard. It is not like the lower 48 where two people can set each end of a culvert and still stay friends. Expect to drive at least 100 miles and then you will still be on someone elses trap line. It's their line and people better stay off it. If its your dream then move on up, but learn from other people. Dont think there is a moose behind every tree. Find a place to trap could take years.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3933508
08/09/13 01:20 PM
08/09/13 01:20 PM
North Dakota
W
woodelf Offline
trapper
woodelf  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
One other thing to keep in mind. There is not a farm house every other section or even roads for that matter. If you get in trouble you are on your own. It could be a days walk if not FARTHER to the nearest help.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3933538
08/09/13 01:45 PM
08/09/13 01:45 PM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
Where I live in ND, we have few hills, few trees, a LOT of wind, and a LOT of cold. But like you said, 90% of the time there is a farmstead within a few miles.

And most responses seem to be pretty negative about people making the move north, but I understand that 99% of posters saying they will, won't. And most are very, very unrealistic.

But YEARS to find land to trap? Wow. A guy couldn't get out in the bush for a few weeks at a time and have a good chance at least of not being on someones line?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Backcountry] #3933553
08/09/13 01:55 PM
08/09/13 01:55 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska

But YEARS to find land to trap? Wow. A guy couldn't get out in the bush for a few weeks at a time and have a good chance at least of not being on someones line?

sure you could what kind of airplane do you have? remember no roads.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3933574
08/09/13 02:04 PM
08/09/13 02:04 PM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska
here is a rule I kind of follow...
If you can drive there, so can anyone else.
If you use a snowmachine to get away, that helps, but anyone else with a snomachine can go there.
If you have a boat, it can get you to where other people with boats are.
same with a 4 wheeler...

and nearly everyone here has at least one of the boat, 4 wheeler, sno go, likely all of them...

So, when you think you are along ways away, you might be, or you might be with 2 or 10 other people...

this past fall i got to go on a moose hunt in the "bush"
we drove over 400 miles, then launched a boat...
traveled 400+ miles downstream by boat, up another river to moose hunt....

that is 800-900 miles and 2.5 days to get to a remote spot...... guess what? there were 100 other boats full of people doing the same thing...

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934074
08/09/13 07:05 PM
08/09/13 07:05 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I understand you guys talking negatively about how hard it is to find a place to trap. You don't want to give people the wrong idea that the country is wide open. However, I know that if a person is motivated enough and if they can think outside the box, they can find a place to trap. For example; the peninsula (Alaska Peninsula) is about 400 miles long and the areas I'm familiar with are loaded with fox, beaver, and otter, lynx in some places and wolves and wolverine. I know of very few that trap down that way, there are very few villages. I'm sure there must be other such places and opportunities like this. I'm not suggesting that it will be easy though.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934183
08/09/13 08:06 PM
08/09/13 08:06 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
I retired up here in 05, it took me 4 years to finally find a area that I could run a line, and that took alot of exploring, stepping on toes, and beating myself up. It ain't easy to find a spot.
It ain't that others are being negative, in all honesty they are being realistic. You need time, money, and the right equipment to be successful, along with a little luck. To think your just going to move up here and start a line that first year is NOT realistic.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934268
08/09/13 08:57 PM
08/09/13 08:57 PM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
OK I really do appreciate your guy's help and it just goes to show that this website is awesome, a guy could easily move up there and be completely in the dark. I can focus on hunting the first year, or 4, and use that as scouting for my trapping. Does this sound at least a little better?

Last edited by SloughTrapper#4; 08/09/13 09:00 PM.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934275
08/09/13 09:03 PM
08/09/13 09:03 PM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
So would i be correct you cant trap on Naive land, unless your Native American?
can you buy land from the Native American land areas?
i guess as your all are saying the population boom is just about everywhere. when i went up to Alaska in the early 70s with my family it was less traveled and the Alcan highway was a grave road.

ahhhh... memories of paradise!
its just to bad my parents didn't leave me up their by accident..

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934287
08/09/13 09:08 PM
08/09/13 09:08 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Hup

It sounds like you traveled to Seattle in 2 1/2 days......

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934391
08/09/13 10:05 PM
08/09/13 10:05 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Or the Koyukuk. ;0) That seems to be a popular destination.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934399
08/09/13 10:12 PM
08/09/13 10:12 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Guys I am not trying to say that MN cold is on par with Fairbanks cold.

I was trying to let the young man know that if he can handle the North Dakota winters he'll be able to handle pretty much what a lot of areas in AK will throw at him.

Nome? Fairbanks? We'll that would take some getting used to but I think the problem isn't as much the cold as the remoteness coupled with the cold.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934409
08/09/13 10:19 PM
08/09/13 10:19 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Coming from Montana 28 years I did not find it that hard to acclimate to the weather. It was different. And I have not been in real cold for extended periods of time. Plenty of -30 and -40. Frankly I don't want to deal with the -60 stuff. No one does.
What I found to be different was how long the winter lasted and how FAST things froze up when temps cooled down. Ponds freeze overnight. You don't see that in the Lower 48. Takes some time to get them chilled down in much of Alaska.

Learning how to deal with the cold and dress for it for extended periods of time. That is something that takes some trial and error. Lots of good ideas out there.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: waggler] #3934422
08/09/13 10:25 PM
08/09/13 10:25 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: waggler
I understand you guys talking negatively about how hard it is to find a place to trap. You don't want to give people the wrong idea that the country is wide open. However, I know that if a person is motivated enough and if they can think outside the box, they can find a place to trap. For example; the peninsula (Alaska Peninsula) is about 400 miles long and the areas I'm familiar with are loaded with fox, beaver, and otter, lynx in some places and wolves and wolverine. I know of very few that trap down that way, there are very few villages. I'm sure there must be other such places and opportunities like this. I'm not suggesting that it will be easy though.

True but the Alaska Peninsula is a loooooooooong ways from the road system and some really lousy flying weather in that part of the world.

I'm sure you're right...there are other places like that, but what most of the people who talk about coming up here don't realize is the distances involved. Just to get to my line I have to travel far enough to cross some states in the L48. The cost of flying, just to get to the starting point, is more than some of these people spend on gas all year for their trapping. Then there's the little matter of getting back out. Don't even think about trying to maintain a set schedule. It won't happen. I've waited on weather for a month just to get home. I'm sure others have too. Don't schedule a doctor appointment or have a tooth go bad during that time. Need to get back to your job after the Christmas vacation? Might make it by groundhog day if things don't go just right.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934584
08/09/13 11:37 PM
08/09/13 11:37 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
#27 File a trip plan with multiple people. I always try to have someone know where everyone of my sets are in case people need to start looking for me that's what a few select very good friends are for. I am solo 95% of the time on lines that are 70-120 miles long on snow machine so this is very important for me.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3934646
08/10/13 12:15 AM
08/10/13 12:15 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: otterman
#27 File a trip plan with multiple people. I always try to have someone know where everyone of my sets are in case people need to start looking for me that's what a few select very good friends are for. I am solo 95% of the time on lines that are 70-120 miles long on snow machine so this is very important for me.

I now consider good communication methods essential, with backup for my backup. I now almost always carry a sat phone, ACR locator beacon, and a handheld VHF. Maybe I'm a little too cautious but since the technology is available I want to have it.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: waggler] #3941670
08/13/13 08:09 PM
08/13/13 08:09 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
Are thoes satelite phones very exspensive ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3941676
08/13/13 08:14 PM
08/13/13 08:14 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

You can usually find an Iridium sat phone on Ebay for around $500. The minutes are still pretty expensive. There are several different plans available.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: waggler] #3941799
08/13/13 09:21 PM
08/13/13 09:21 PM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
I know a number of very motivated trappers trying to find traplines around Fairbanks with no luck but if your willing to overwinter in the bush then your chances are much better at finding one
Originally Posted By: waggler

I once held the yardstick of another's perfection, I threw it down and carved my own........

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3942239
08/14/13 02:18 AM
08/14/13 02:18 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
I have had batteries go dead on all the above mentioned items none of them are fail safe. Let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return. I know we don't always wined up where we plan on all it takes for me to change is smoking hot wolf tracks but it gives someone a starting point if they need to come lookin for you

Last edited by otterman; 08/14/13 02:18 AM.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3942251
08/14/13 03:12 AM
08/14/13 03:12 AM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
I'll triple what BCK is saying...if you plan on trapping around Fairbanks plan on driving! I help run a line and run a short basically defunct line for fun..hmmm lol. last year, 0 on the 'fun' line! 1 toothless half blind, definatly non smelling wolf behind the house, and a whopping 6 marten on a 90 mile line for 3 guys.

If you're within a few hours of town you're likely running into people. And as friendly as most are on here, at the trappers meetings, at the fur tannery, or just about anywhere else OFF a trapline during trapping season, they are NOT that friendly when they find out you've crossed/come near/checked out an area that they trapped 20years ago/remotely thought of an area that MIGHT be open and happened to have someone in it from the dust bowl. Good luck! Even better...good luck getting a shove in any direction! The next person who says CHSR should be shot hung and drug through down town!

For the mn to Alaska winters, I'm a Minnesotan and had 0 issues. Its not the cold, I've been in Fairbanks the hole time (17 years now). What takes getting used to is the daylight. The darkness is a breeze.

get used to
-"we can order it".
-"I trapped this country back before Fairbanks had a living sole in it"
-"everyone with big asperations, till its -50 and they have to do anything, or better yet, its time to 'go' period. if you're a doer, you'll be going alone!"
-"local price tags for hand crafted items"
-"local price tags for junk! Dunno what it is but value here never goes down! Seriously if its falling apart it MUST be collector right?"
-"lots of land with nothing in it..nothing, 0, nodda. back to finding that partner whose willing to hump those miles..haha, ya ok! You're better off finding a wife in kaktovik!"
-"moose camps put up the end of july"
-"people sitting in your stands and claim them when you come in to hunt it, telling you to go F yourself! at gun point no less"

If you want good trapping, stay south!
if you want long seasons stay south!
if you want cheap easy access...STAY SOUTH!

You're better off coming and visiting to put that fire out once in your life.

If you're a do'er, and don't mind busting tail for some table scraps, to be constantly beat down by transplants themselves, find peace with blood sucking mosquito's or hospital toting bug dope, fish as fickle as a Friday night date with a tundra wookie, or any other hellish fun, get up here and live it! At some point you'll either return south realizing you can kill more monster whitetails from sept to dec, than you'll ever kill moose! Realize there are no single woman in Alaska, they all belong to someone else or are at some point being passed around the 'table'. The fishing, well its getting better, ha, really? Trapline? pfft, hunting? wait is there any moose left in Fairbanks? oh that's right, the wolves and bears are killing all those cows, yaaaa I get it. ME ME ME, how many freezers do you really NEED full of anything. Or you'll just get to be as much of a crabass'ed opinionated SOB as the rest of us and give in and stay. At some point you'll be let IN to the trapping community, when you're the 'old guy' ha.

but let me warn you, at some point you're going to meet these folks, those old who-ha's running 300 mile lines, that claimed a valley that hasn't had a track put through it in years, and you'll be face to face with a ornery, crotchety ticked off transplant from some other state yet for some unknown reason has claimed sourdough status and owns the land. It wont take long, and they never go away, they never quit, they never sell, they never retire, they never die! you can cut a line as Dean would tell you to do, but plan on war!!!

welcome to the road system in Alaska!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3942269
08/14/13 04:16 AM
08/14/13 04:16 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Tradbow1 I vote for this ^ as the post of the year! smile

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3942598
08/14/13 10:40 AM
08/14/13 10:40 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Tradbow, sounds like you are really enjoying yourself up there!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3942701
08/14/13 11:44 AM
08/14/13 11:44 AM
Zoe, OK
frozen okie Offline
trapper
frozen okie  Offline
trapper

Zoe, OK
Well said Tradbow!! I can attest to the trapline part,I have been asked to leave more places than I care to admit,some of them people were trapping near and some of them guys were letting "rest" for a few years, and some of them were people that play back in the hills and dont wont no trappers back in there cause a dog might climb a pole set or they dont want me back in there tearing up "their" trails on my tricked out '85 bravo smile

Oh ya #27 is a good one I always tell a few good buddys where am headed and show the wife on the map where am headed so she can tell someone where to go look for me.

Last edited by frozen okie; 08/14/13 11:46 AM.

I come a learning,not a knowing
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3943346
08/14/13 06:50 PM
08/14/13 06:50 PM
ND United States
B
Backcountry Offline
trapper
Backcountry  Offline
trapper
B

ND United States
haha sounds like fun up there...

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3943498
08/14/13 08:23 PM
08/14/13 08:23 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Very well said Tradbow! Ive heard the same from others........Reading posts like that I cant help but think registered lines are the way to go.........

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: yukon254] #3943534
08/14/13 08:42 PM
08/14/13 08:42 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline
trapper
trapper ron  Offline
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
Those that have registered lines (like myself) swear by them. Can not imagine trapping open ground. Those that do not have that option swear by open trapping. A controversial subject for sure. Having an area where you have the sole rights to trapping and management of the area has its benefits. Ownership is to obtain can be expensive. Being able to go and trap where every you please also has its benefits, but also has its drawbacks like referred to above.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3943647
08/14/13 09:31 PM
08/14/13 09:31 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Alaska is not like Canada where there are logging road everywhere so the competition would not be bad (I would think.)

Alaska only has a couple main roads so competition is high.

But anyone in Alaska that wants to fly in can find a place to trap its just most have jobs and can only trap on weekends on the road system unless they own a plane and then there are plenty places to trap of course that can be expensive just like buying a line in Canada.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3943857
08/14/13 10:43 PM
08/14/13 10:43 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
I sometimes wish the Yukon had more roads......would be less trail to cut smile

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3944022
08/15/13 01:01 AM
08/15/13 01:01 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Years ago north and east out of Fairbanks the road system was not maintained gravel roads. Travel was slow and the snow machines were too. Just to get to your line was like taking a trip down the Alcan.

In my case there were few houses past 18 mile CHSR, where the asphalt ended. The Hot Springs were owned by the Wilson family until it was closed for several years. My line was given to me by one of the Wilson's and was an active trap line prior to getting it.

I NEVER saw another person, tracks summer or winter.

My first line I hand cut in 1973. It is now the Compeau trail and fire break on Anaconda Ridge. In 1983 I was given my current line. I have trapped it every year since than and manage primarily the Marten with several different trails into different drainages.

If the snow machine of the day were Elans, the roads were not maintained and the trails had to be cut and maintained by the Trapper there would NOT be a problem finding a line.

You see the conflicts are over something already established. Ethics only work if you are ethical.

You can call me anything you want, yah I am old but guess what I'LL be there again...........this winter........and.....next winter.......and the winter after.....and....................

I am thankful that I came here when I did and waited my turn, cut many exploratory lines and ended up with what I have.

It's just like building a business, 1 day at a time, 1 dollar at a time and if you succeed you may end up as a businessman/ trapper.

Thanks for Trapperman
Larry Voorhees

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: ] #3945061
08/15/13 07:11 PM
08/15/13 07:11 PM
Northern CA
N
neverfinished Offline
trapper
neverfinished  Offline
trapper
N

Northern CA
So just to clarify their is endless opportunity's to hunt,fish and trap in Alaska as long as you move to the Bush of AK instead of anywhere near the road system?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: neverfinished] #3945139
08/15/13 08:07 PM
08/15/13 08:07 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline
trapper

western alaska
If you think your gonna be alone in the bush read what HUPUREST had pointed out!!!!

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3945141
08/15/13 08:08 PM
08/15/13 08:08 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
It can be but since there are no roads if you are near a village the only trails available for travel including frozen rivers probably would be someone's trap line and the history of use goes back generations in most places.

And then you have Native corporation lands that in many cases are not open to non shareholders.

As long as there is public fed or state land you can trap no problem but access can be difficult and some places are not accessible at all no safe landing or all mountains thick trees or all of the above.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Malukchuk] #3945221
08/15/13 08:39 PM
08/15/13 08:39 PM
Northern CA
N
neverfinished Offline
trapper
neverfinished  Offline
trapper
N

Northern CA
So you get a flight out to a national forest or State land far from villages or roads and set up camp on one of the million lakes in AK so you have water to drink daily and planes can often land on lakes frozen or not.

Head in early spring, Set your tent up and start cutting a new line and your good to go so long as you don't manage to run into anyone else's line.

If you do run into someone else's line then you start cutting your line a different direction or start over at a new drop off point.

It doesn't seem that complicated if your able to stay out in the bush for months at a time.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3945539
08/15/13 10:50 PM
08/15/13 10:50 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Easier said than done expensive too smile

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3945665
08/16/13 12:04 AM
08/16/13 12:04 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Neverfinished: your location is not adequate. Post your correct location in your profile

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: white17] #3945705
08/16/13 12:43 AM
08/16/13 12:43 AM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
that would be an expensive crapshoot just flying into a lake and hoping for the best. I guess since there's a moose behind every tree there must be 100's of marten just waiting to jump in your trap lol please let us know how it works out for you!!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3946028
08/16/13 09:58 AM
08/16/13 09:58 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Consider too that when you get dropped off "in the spring" and start cutting your line that you have to walk to the end and back every day just to get started and then back to the tent to eat/sleep. You're going to get pretty hungry too since I doubt you can fly in a whole summer's worth of food along with all your gear. Even if you do manage to bring enough to eat you have to keep it from the bears and other critters. Better bring a dog too. Oh, better bring dog food too. You're going to have to spend a lot of time cooking and doing camp chores especially since you have no refrigeration and can't cook a lot of food ahead. You will probably spend some time fishing and cutting wood too.

Eventually you'll need to move your tent closer to the end of the line. Now you might have to pack water from the lake and all the supplies you had flown in.

I think I'd have a hard time knowing I had crossed some else's trail in the summer. Heck I'd have a hard time recognizing my own if I was in new country. Unless you stumble across an old set, what will tell you that you're on someone's trail ?

Somehow I suspect it isn't quite as simple as getting dropped off at a lake in the spring.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3946140
08/16/13 11:18 AM
08/16/13 11:18 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
"Alexander Supertramp" thought it was going to be easy, too. And he had the luxery of a pre-installed bus!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: white17] #3946191
08/16/13 11:55 AM
08/16/13 11:55 AM
Gnome, Alaska
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"
Alaskan  Offline
"AMY SUE"

Gnome, Alaska
Somehow I suspect it isn't quite as simple as getting dropped off at a lake in the spring.

All Ye' doubters!!!!!!!!!

laugh

"Goats pee in the water sheep drink."

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3946211
08/16/13 12:12 PM
08/16/13 12:12 PM
Bethel, AK
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"
Kusko  Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Bethel, AK
Bring a canoe.....

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." Linus Van Pelt

www.alaskafinandfur.com
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3946225
08/16/13 12:21 PM
08/16/13 12:21 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
#28 Some people think that they cut a trail once and it stays cut. crazy

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Dirt] #3946237
08/16/13 12:32 PM
08/16/13 12:32 PM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
and don't forget the swarms of mosquitos that will keep you company night and day!!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: white17] #3947111
08/17/13 12:19 AM
08/17/13 12:19 AM
Northern CA
N
neverfinished Offline
trapper
neverfinished  Offline
trapper
N

Northern CA
Neverfinished: your location is not adequate. Post your correct location in your profile

I live in a truck that moves somewhere between Florida and Alaska Daily. I can put my taxable address if it helps?

I'll probably never move up there to find out if my idea would work or not. Too much good land,critters and milder winters to ever drive me 3000 miles north into a land that goes dark and frozen for half the year if your lucky. Seems like as good as an idea as any though. If you just sit here online nit picking all the difficulties of living in the bush as a trapper you'll never get anything done.

Identify a goal
Make a plan
Execute the plan

Heck, a poor plan well executed beats a good plan poorly executed any day of the week IMO.

Let me know if you want me to use my taxable address for the location tab White

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3947136
08/17/13 12:56 AM
08/17/13 12:56 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Yes that works as long as it''s one state.

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3947583
08/17/13 11:31 AM
08/17/13 11:31 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
#29: Unless you live in Anchorage, (and possibly there also), and something marine or aircraft related breaks, you will probably have to order a replacement.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: neverfinished] #3947805
08/17/13 01:50 PM
08/17/13 01:50 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
[quote If you just sit here online nit picking all the difficulties of living in the bush as a trapper you'll never get anything done.

Identify a goal
Make a plan
Execute the plan
[/quote]

We are not nit picking( as you put it)we are pointing out the reality of trapping in a VERY HARSH climate if you think living in Florida is somehow going to prepare you to launch off into the bush and live and trap in a tent in unseen country -40 temps you need a serious reality check this nit picking could of saved your life.

And thanks for the advice on how to execute our goals that sure helps keep in mind many of us left our Mama long ago and did just what your dreaming of now.
I do think Florida is a fine place with mild winters plenty to trap you should do well there.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3947970
08/17/13 04:35 PM
08/17/13 04:35 PM
Kenai, Alaska
V
Vance in AK Offline
trapper
Vance in AK  Offline
trapper
V

Kenai, Alaska
#30?
Most of those who come to Alaska with the dream of living on the line/in the bush & only coming to town a few times a year for supplies will end up living somewhere on the road system & have a "regular" job IF they choose to stay, & there is no shame in it. I know I did (25 yrs ago).
One thing I REALLY miss here compared to south eastern Oregon (Klamath Falls) where I grew up is open water trapping on those crisp fall mornings. Was down visiting my folks in November 2 yrs ago (1st fall trip since I left) & those open creeks & ditches were just SCREAMING muskrat & mink... Also those big straight sugar pine reminded me how much I missed logging there... BUT, God put me here & I aint whining wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: EurekaTrapper] #3948619
08/18/13 01:19 AM
08/18/13 01:19 AM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted By: EurekaTrapper
13. Most of the stuff you order online has special pricing for Alaska. You can forget about free shipping to here.

Not true!!

Originally Posted By: martenpine
#26 No matter how much your signifigant other loves Alaska in the summer, plan ahead for an alternative unless she's Alaskan grown.

Also not true!!

#31 If you truly think you can make it here, think twice, a third and fourth time, then if you STILL think you can, read all the above rules and give it a go.

I was told 13 years ago (by more than a few on this forum and others) that I'd not make it here, was laughed at and had a few say a couple not-so-nice things. Well here I am, and while I am not at a fly-in or snomachine in place, I am 4 miles in on a dirt road and off-grid. I still love it here and doubt that will ever change.

Not many have dreams that come true. I did.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3949711
08/18/13 06:47 PM
08/18/13 06:47 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
Well i have a question ? I am kind of confused. I have read every reply on this thread and the way i understand it. Alaska is not a place that just anyone could make it even living in big towns like Anchorage working a 5 day a week job under the easiest living conditions if for no other reasons than the weather & darkness. And it is even harder to live in one of the small villiages where the only way in is to fly in 2 or 300 miles. And then to beat thoes living conditions it would be even harder for someone to live on out futher in the bush running a trap line to make a living by themselfs ?

Well where i am confused at is I had a guy who has lived in the Alaska bush running trap lines making his living at it most of his life and said basicly anyone could do it and it was and is not that big of a deal ? Any average person can do it ? But from reading this post I get an altogether different veiw. It looks like it would be hard as all get out and if you did not know what you were doing or have someone teach you how to live like that you could wind up dead fast ? So which is it. Anyone can do it or is this guy just pulling my leg ?

Last edited by MAAA; 08/18/13 06:52 PM.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3949750
08/18/13 07:08 PM
08/18/13 07:08 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Anybody can make it on the road system. The bush ain't that bad, but I routinely see them come and go. The problem I always see is they don't accept a lower standard of living. It is rare that you can maintain the same standard of living in the bush that you had on the road system or where ever they come from.

Last edited by Dirt; 08/19/13 01:26 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3949857
08/18/13 07:53 PM
08/18/13 07:53 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
MAAA, I gotta say, to me, it's not that big a deal IF you can CHANGE and ADAPT. Lots can't. I've seen more than a few people come here to (not so remote) Chickaloon, stay a winter and leave - often because it was too tough for THEM. I've seen more than a few stay.

Sometimes, yes it would be easier to turn on a faucet and have running water, rather than having to pick up a 5 gallon jug and pour it. Yes it would be easier to flip a switch for light, rather than finding a match or lighter and lighting the kerosene lamp. Yes it would be easier to walk to the next room to use the batheroom, rather than walking out in -30* to the outhouse.

Yes, easier. But not necessarily better. wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950007
08/18/13 08:57 PM
08/18/13 08:57 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
Wolfwoman, I agree with you easier but not necessarily better. I am 52 years old and was raised in a small town with no indoor plumbing. Their was Mom & Dad plus 7 of us kids. We had an outdoor out house, had to draw our water from a well and on ocassions when storms took the power lines down used kersosene lamps. I have very fond memorys of thoes rare nights with all of us eating supper using the light of the lanterns. And drawing a bucket of water from the bottom of the well during a hot summer day. As a kid i always hated having to go use the out house during the night and worried about snakes during the summer days only because i saw a large about 4 foot black snake crawl underneath the out house down into the hole where the barrels were burried.

But for us the coldest weather we might have to endure here in North West Arkansas would be maybe 10 degrees on rare ocassions nothing like there in Alaska. I consider myself pretty tuff skinned and for the most part capible of adapting. But it would be hard for me to get used to - 30 or - 50 degree weather. And for me I would have to be taught how to adapt to that kind of weather in order to make it. I just would not think the average person could come to Alaska thinking they could make it there without expecting someone to teach them how to survie the elements the way of making a living. And with a strong motivation of some kind. I can see someone who loves the outdoors, loves to hunt fish trap thinking that they would like living in Alaska. But even then they would need to be people who are what i would call real outdoorsmen, people who hunt for the meat, not just sport.

Last edited by MAAA; 08/18/13 09:00 PM.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950496
08/19/13 01:14 AM
08/19/13 01:14 AM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
you'd be shocked what you get used too when you want too...not to mention its a different kind of cold. Very dry for most of us. compared to a wet cold down there. I laugh when people laugh about it more now...after spending time on the east coast in their 'winters'. I had enough cloths on to be out here screwing off at -20, mind you I was getting blown upside down and backwards in a treestand at 20 above while I was there doing absolutely nothing but trying to remember what whitetails looked like.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950533
08/19/13 02:15 AM
08/19/13 02:15 AM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
I grew up in Upstate NY in a non-hunting/trapping type family. I was NOT raised with animals of any sort, and while my childhood was just fine (no type of drama, very ordinary), I believe I was bored (in retrospect) - always wanted to come to Alaska. There's a lot more to the story, but, I digress...

The cold at 20* in upstate NY is BONE CHILLING BITTER cold. It's horrid, that WET nasty cold seeps into the bery FIBRE of your bones and is not tolerable. Here in Alaska at 30 BELOW I am out with just my long underwear, my FUR mukluks and a sherpa hoodie and FUR hat to take care of the critters. If I'm out for a long period of time, I get a good jacket smile It's just different!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950546
08/19/13 02:53 AM
08/19/13 02:53 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
You folks need to visit Western Alaska some day smile

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950876
08/19/13 10:23 AM
08/19/13 10:23 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
We can discuss all day long how hard it is to make it in Alaska. The truth of the matter is there are a lot of people who come on here with a dream. When I was young my Mom sold real estate and she had a fair amount of contacts she called California Dreamers. They all wanted 20 acres in N Idaho with a trout stream running through it and deer and elk on the property and they expected to pay pennies on the dollar for what it was worth had such property been readily available. Many come on here thinking Alaska is similar the dreams are different they want a 10-100 miles of trap line with everything from marten to wolves and wolverine on it. The point is it just doesn't happen very often and when it does you are looking at years of hard work and a lot of bush knowledge to obtain said line. Combine that with some of the harshest most remote conditions in the world and you have Alaska. Throw in an over populated road system with guys claiming every trail ditch and roadside culvert and you have what the reality of it is. Some places trap lines can be found more easily but gaining access or finding much more than beaver and fox can be a challenge. Can you make it here? Probably. Will you make it here? The odds say probably not. Read the rules take the advice here and you might beat the odds. Ignore them and you may be one unhappy or very dead trapper. I don't think anyone here is trying to discourage a guy from coming up and trying it but are simply trying to let you know this isn't Iowa, Kansas, New York or any place else other than Alaska and it is not only very unique in its nature along with its individual characters that are already here, but it has a huge variety of climates and conditions within the state itself. This makes for a huge amount of responses. One of the first rules I learned here was never go out on the river without an ice pick or checker of some kind and a hatchet or axe doesn't qualify as that tool. I doubt seriously that someone boat trapping in SE needs that icepick every day if at all, even I don't but I never leave home without one. I hope this helps some who want to come realize a bit more of what to expect

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951035
08/19/13 12:01 PM
08/19/13 12:01 PM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Reality is a harsh friend. I too have them dreams but as it is explained in the mired of information above, truth and our concept is slightly off kilter. I should have done it in the late 70s, when I went up there. but work and responsibility kind of takes it to the side. I wish anyone going up that way finds an opportunity of a lifetime~! Send pictures and stories. I will find a way up there but not in the way i really want to be, as some of you that live that lifestyle.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Ronaround] #3951104
08/19/13 12:39 PM
08/19/13 12:39 PM
Princeton, Maine
M
Mainiac Offline
trapper
Mainiac  Offline
trapper
M

Princeton, Maine
If you want to go.... then go! Its not a cold inhospitable [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] you are walking into. Do the research, get prepared and do it. All great achievements and ideas have many people saying it can't be done or shouldn't be done. Take the advise but not the "nay-saying" and try for your dream.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: yukonjeff] #3951263
08/19/13 01:51 PM
08/19/13 01:51 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted By: yukonjeff
You folks need to visit Western Alaska some day smile

I'm guessing that it's that nasty wet cold there?? LOL

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951273
08/19/13 01:55 PM
08/19/13 01:55 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
These guys are absolutely right, I ignored all the "you can't do it" people and did it anyways smile I may not be where Yukon Jeff or Otterman or White is, but I like where I am, and I'm far enough out to not want to shoot someone daily, yet with just a 4 mile dirt road between me and the highway, it's still pretty accessible for emergencies.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951315
08/19/13 02:14 PM
08/19/13 02:14 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951891
08/19/13 07:21 PM
08/19/13 07:21 PM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
note to self....never go pick up nice fur hat from Wolfwoman she may change her mind on shooting people from the big cities lol.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952043
08/19/13 08:26 PM
08/19/13 08:26 PM
Gypsum,kansas
B
bigshane Offline
trapper
bigshane  Offline
trapper
B

Gypsum,kansas
this has been the most interesting thread I have ever read thanks to all.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Tradbow1] #3952370
08/19/13 09:54 PM
08/19/13 09:54 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted By: Tradbow1
note to self....never go pick up nice fur hat from Wolfwoman she may change her mind on shooting people from the big cities lol.

Unfortunately, lately that may be more the case than you think. The thieves are at it again in the Valley - Two neighbors have had gas stolen from them, and one has had trespassers that she didn't know.

Just bought a Moultrie M880 wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952706
08/20/13 12:11 AM
08/20/13 12:11 AM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
I have a couple cuddy's, not familiar with the moultries, hopefully its a IR...if not, they'll steal that too LOL!

They're stealing fuel like crazy around here last winter....broad daylight. Some of the places were people on vacation, perp pulled his truck in the vacationer's garage and told cops he was 'checking the place out to rent'. The 40 stays close! wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952773
08/20/13 01:09 AM
08/20/13 01:09 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
If I missed something, forgive me, but I don't think a single Alaskan on this thread suggested "Don't do it". This has been a reality check. The folks contributing here are not doing so to discourage. Most that don't live here simply don't understand just how imense and diversifided this state is. For those still following from down south, it really is the size of 1/3 of the entire lower 48. That would be like asking what the trapping is like from Florida to Minnesota, and Maine to the Mississippi. Bound to get a few different answers.
The REAL kicker is, add the difference in terrain and territory, add again the different climate, and again the access and travelability of vastly differing areas, and you are just now getting warm as to the generalizations of most questions pertaining to THE BIG MOVE TO ALASKA! Ultimatly, one needs to narrow down thier search in this great state, then ask the questions that pertain to that area. What would work in Bend, Oregon probably won't help you in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Oh, and yes, even S.E. Alaska gets cold. Getting the line out last December....salt water.....

Skim ice, thank God.

Last edited by alaska viking; 08/20/13 01:11 AM.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952802
08/20/13 01:43 AM
08/20/13 01:43 AM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
I've run into a number of guys who came to Alaska and thought because they hunted and trapped in the lower 48 that they didn't need any advice, fools thought I. Take all the free advice you can get and be appreciative that some are willing to give it, the reality is this website is all about advice because we all need some at some point and if you look at the posts you will see a lot of it is people asking questions and others offering up their experiences whether it's with gear, snogo's, techniques etc. etc. and I for one am greatful that this free website exists because I've learned a lot here and have met lots of good people here.........Masii Choo Trapperman......................

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: alaska viking] #3953589
08/20/13 02:50 PM
08/20/13 02:50 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
If I missed something, forgive me, but I don't think a single Alaskan on this thread suggested "Don't do it".

I don't think you missed anything on this thread about that at all. LOTS of good advice all around.

However, 13 (more like 15 when I was planning) years ago - I was told I 'couldn't' do it wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3955049
08/21/13 10:51 AM
08/21/13 10:51 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
You certainly proved them wrong! And you created (literally!), a niche for yourself that is appreciated by many on this very forum!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3955477
08/21/13 02:57 PM
08/21/13 02:57 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
I'm glad to be here... I left for a few years, lost the forum somehow, and even tho I don't post a LOT, I READ a lot smile The info here is INVALUABLE! Not to mention reading some of the banter that goes on wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3957912
08/22/13 05:43 PM
08/22/13 05:43 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
I am impressed with the replys that all of you who live or have lived in Alaska at one time have given to members like myself who live in the lower 48. Most of the forums that i have visited have been hunting forums in the lower 48. I have seen a big difference in the information that members are willing to give out between the people who live there in Alaska verses most states in the lower 48.

The replys that has been given by people who live in Alaska has been in my opinion very candid and straight forward. Like someone stated on here in a previous reply. No one has said that people could not come to Alaska and make it there. They have just laid it on the line and told it how it is there. Here in the lower 48 I dont think you would get that kind of information just because of the overcrowding most states have here. Alot of people would give you false information just to discourage you in coming to hunt, fish, trap, find a job basicly anything because most states here are way over crowed and have enough competition competeing for these resources as it is.

I hope Alaska dosen't wind up like the lower 48. Someone was talking about haveing some gas stolen from their snow mobile, Here in the lowere 48 they would still the snow mobile along with the gas.

On another note the temp here in North West Arkansas is 104 degrees today, lot of sun shine and real hot. When i walked in the office one of our inspectors was ringing wet with sweat, looked like he had fell into a lake or something. Any of you people who live there in Alaska have that problem today ? LOL !

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3958742
08/22/13 11:04 PM
08/22/13 11:04 PM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
I don't miss those hot days like that. I'm originally from Arkansas as well, Heber Springs.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3958866
08/23/13 12:36 AM
08/23/13 12:36 AM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
Eureka Trapper, How long have you lived in Alaska ? I had an Uncel that lived in Heber Springs, alot of his kids still do. Every know Burel Bramlett ? of James Bramlett ? Is it the little red river that they trout fish on there in Heber Springs ? I know they trout fish some on the white river near there. I am a couple hundred miles South West of Heber in a little town called Ozark Ark, about 40 miles East of Fort Smith.

But now i think you are pulling my leg about missing this good old warm weather we have here in Arkansas ! LOL And i bet it was most of the time a little cooler in Heber than it is here ? How long have you lived in Alaska ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3958901
08/23/13 01:46 AM
08/23/13 01:46 AM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Last Friday someone stole 3 gas cans from one neighbor and 1 can from the other neighbor. Tuesday another house just up the road was broken into. They haven't messed with our place. ... yet. And they can't steal the trail cam. Those (insert many bad words here) thieves had BEST not try my house!

Yes, it's bad here - they send people around to scout and then the thieves come later and just grab things!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: MAAA] #3958942
08/23/13 03:14 AM
08/23/13 03:14 AM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
I've been up here since 1998 but I left Arkansas in 1988 with the Army. I don't remember any Bramletts. Yup, that's the Little Red River there. That's where the world record brown trout was caught. Not sure if that record still holds though. It was around 40 lbs. Hot and humid isn't my kind of summer. I prefer 70's with the occasional 80's.
Eureka Trapper, How long have you lived in Alaska ? I had an Uncel that lived in Heber Springs, alot of his kids still do. Every know Burel Bramlett ? of James Bramlett ? Is it the little red river that they trout fish on there in Heber Springs ? I know they trout fish some on the white river near there. I am a couple hundred miles South West of Heber in a little town called Ozark Ark, about 40 miles East of Fort Smith.

But now i think you are pulling my leg about missing this good old warm weather we have here in Arkansas ! LOL And i bet it was most of the time a little cooler in Heber than it is here ? How long have you lived in Alaska ?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Wolfwoman] #3958947
08/23/13 03:19 AM
08/23/13 03:19 AM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
You should set out a nice tempting fuel can that's been enhanced with some corn syrup.
Originally Posted By: Wolfwoman
Last Friday someone stole 3 gas cans from one neighbor and 1 can from the other neighbor. Tuesday another house just up the road was broken into. They haven't messed with our place. ... yet. And they can't steal the trail cam. Those (insert many bad words here) thieves had BEST not try my house!

Yes, it's bad here - they send people around to scout and then the thieves come later and just grab things!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3958975
08/23/13 04:49 AM
08/23/13 04:49 AM
Wisconsin
T
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper
TrappinAlaska  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
That is called ethanol!

Member of:
ATA
WTA
NRA

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: TrappinAlaska] #3959289
08/23/13 10:10 AM
08/23/13 10:10 AM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
They probably wouldn't need any more fuel after they use the non-distilled version.
Originally Posted By: TrappinAlaska
That is called ethanol!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: EurekaTrapper] #3959698
08/23/13 01:24 PM
08/23/13 01:24 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted By: EurekaTrapper
You should set out a nice tempting fuel can that's been enhanced with some corn syrup.
Originally Posted By: Wolfwoman

I Seem To Recall A Can Down There For Water.... But It Might Smell Like Gas.... wink

(PS: No Clue Why My Keyboard Is Capping Each WorD????)

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3960477
08/23/13 08:23 PM
08/23/13 08:23 PM
Michigan
BucknDuck Offline
trapper
BucknDuck  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I've been holding back from posting on this subject. But my curiosity has gotten the best of me. Here is my situation: I'm single, own my own business, and also have a background in education, accounting, and finance. I've been interested in relocating to Alaska for quite a while, but just recently started pursuing it more, including working on obtaining my teaching certificate.

I would like to spend a week next year getting familiar with the areas of interest and see first hand if Alaska is really where I want to relocate my business and call home. Duck hunting is my other passion besides trapping, so I crave ducky weather. I was also once a ski school director so bring on the winter weather.

As for trapping, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't care so much about getting out on a line. Reading what some of you have posted, I will be giving up quite a bit of my trapping opportunities if I move there due to competition. So what are my chances that I may be able to assist on an already established line and work my way up to eventually having my own line?

But you can't be any geek off the street, gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep! - Young Guns
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3961019
08/23/13 11:57 PM
08/23/13 11:57 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
If your willing to move to the bush to be a teacher you will be able to find a line.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3961124
08/24/13 02:21 AM
08/24/13 02:21 AM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
no doubt on a teaching gig, this state is hurting for them from what I hear. and if you want ducks get to Kodiak!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3961460
08/24/13 10:42 AM
08/24/13 10:42 AM
Kenai, Alaska
V
Vance in AK Offline
trapper
Vance in AK  Offline
trapper
V

Kenai, Alaska
What type of business do you own B&D?

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3962042
08/24/13 04:39 PM
08/24/13 04:39 PM
Bennington Kansas
tightlywound1 Offline
trapper
tightlywound1  Offline
trapper

Bennington Kansas
fishermann222 i would be interested in learning more about teaching. i have a little over 6 years left till i retire from the army and this is one of the things i thought about doing after i get out.

"Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Brawl"
"If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English,Thank A Veteran"
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: tightlywound1] #3962079
08/24/13 05:16 PM
08/24/13 05:16 PM
SD
T
Tray Offline
"Wilson Jr."
Tray  Offline
"Wilson Jr."
T

SD
Great thread, I have spent a couple of summers in AK working on fishing boats and now have gone back to vacation this past summer. I planned on moving up there out of high school, but decided that I just couldn't take the darkness in the winter I think I would fight depression.

Couple of questions-
With the restriction on homesteading can a person still build cabins along their line or only replace existing structure?
I remember seeing a Ad in Trapper Predator caller 15+ years ago for a line and cabins for sale, is this still done or is it even allowed.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Vance in AK] #3962237
08/24/13 06:54 PM
08/24/13 06:54 PM
Michigan
BucknDuck Offline
trapper
BucknDuck  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I'm an accountant. The first company I worked for when I graduated from college had me traveling all across the US training accountants. So I had to have an understanding of state tax laws and returns for personal and business in addition to the fed rules and regs.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that this is a great thread in helping to give a realistic point of view on what to expect moving there. I'm looking forward to visiting next year and getting a first hand look at some of the areas.

But you can't be any geek off the street, gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep! - Young Guns
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3962382
08/24/13 08:35 PM
08/24/13 08:35 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

I doubt there is a one size fits all Alaska dream. Over half the population lives in cities with the majority of those living in Anchorage. I would imagine that being far removed from family causes as many to return to the lower 48 as the length of days or severity of the weather. I know the only thing stopping me from moving to Alaska permanently is that my two oldest children both live in North Carolina, that and I'm afraid I'll not live long enough to establish a trap line in a state with a land area of approximately 365,000,000 acres with 8,000 trappers.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3963122
08/25/13 11:12 AM
08/25/13 11:12 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Keep in mind that of those 365,000,000 acres, not all of it holds furbearers. Unlike the lower 48 that has extensive habitat and agriculture, a good portion of Alaska is literally or nearly void of that. And again, a very small portion is accessable through traditional means of travel.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman