Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: EurekaTrapper] #3948619
08/18/13 01:19 AM
08/18/13 01:19 AM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted By: EurekaTrapper
13. Most of the stuff you order online has special pricing for Alaska. You can forget about free shipping to here.

Not true!!

Originally Posted By: martenpine
#26 No matter how much your signifigant other loves Alaska in the summer, plan ahead for an alternative unless she's Alaskan grown.

Also not true!!

#31 If you truly think you can make it here, think twice, a third and fourth time, then if you STILL think you can, read all the above rules and give it a go.

I was told 13 years ago (by more than a few on this forum and others) that I'd not make it here, was laughed at and had a few say a couple not-so-nice things. Well here I am, and while I am not at a fly-in or snomachine in place, I am 4 miles in on a dirt road and off-grid. I still love it here and doubt that will ever change.

Not many have dreams that come true. I did.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3949711
08/18/13 06:47 PM
08/18/13 06:47 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
Well i have a question ? I am kind of confused. I have read every reply on this thread and the way i understand it. Alaska is not a place that just anyone could make it even living in big towns like Anchorage working a 5 day a week job under the easiest living conditions if for no other reasons than the weather & darkness. And it is even harder to live in one of the small villiages where the only way in is to fly in 2 or 300 miles. And then to beat thoes living conditions it would be even harder for someone to live on out futher in the bush running a trap line to make a living by themselfs ?

Well where i am confused at is I had a guy who has lived in the Alaska bush running trap lines making his living at it most of his life and said basicly anyone could do it and it was and is not that big of a deal ? Any average person can do it ? But from reading this post I get an altogether different veiw. It looks like it would be hard as all get out and if you did not know what you were doing or have someone teach you how to live like that you could wind up dead fast ? So which is it. Anyone can do it or is this guy just pulling my leg ?

Last edited by MAAA; 08/18/13 06:52 PM.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3949750
08/18/13 07:08 PM
08/18/13 07:08 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Anybody can make it on the road system. The bush ain't that bad, but I routinely see them come and go. The problem I always see is they don't accept a lower standard of living. It is rare that you can maintain the same standard of living in the bush that you had on the road system or where ever they come from.

Last edited by Dirt; 08/19/13 01:26 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3949857
08/18/13 07:53 PM
08/18/13 07:53 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
MAAA, I gotta say, to me, it's not that big a deal IF you can CHANGE and ADAPT. Lots can't. I've seen more than a few people come here to (not so remote) Chickaloon, stay a winter and leave - often because it was too tough for THEM. I've seen more than a few stay.

Sometimes, yes it would be easier to turn on a faucet and have running water, rather than having to pick up a 5 gallon jug and pour it. Yes it would be easier to flip a switch for light, rather than finding a match or lighter and lighting the kerosene lamp. Yes it would be easier to walk to the next room to use the batheroom, rather than walking out in -30* to the outhouse.

Yes, easier. But not necessarily better. wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950007
08/18/13 08:57 PM
08/18/13 08:57 PM
North West Arkansas
M
MAAA Offline
trapper
MAAA  Offline
trapper
M

North West Arkansas
Wolfwoman, I agree with you easier but not necessarily better. I am 52 years old and was raised in a small town with no indoor plumbing. Their was Mom & Dad plus 7 of us kids. We had an outdoor out house, had to draw our water from a well and on ocassions when storms took the power lines down used kersosene lamps. I have very fond memorys of thoes rare nights with all of us eating supper using the light of the lanterns. And drawing a bucket of water from the bottom of the well during a hot summer day. As a kid i always hated having to go use the out house during the night and worried about snakes during the summer days only because i saw a large about 4 foot black snake crawl underneath the out house down into the hole where the barrels were burried.

But for us the coldest weather we might have to endure here in North West Arkansas would be maybe 10 degrees on rare ocassions nothing like there in Alaska. I consider myself pretty tuff skinned and for the most part capible of adapting. But it would be hard for me to get used to - 30 or - 50 degree weather. And for me I would have to be taught how to adapt to that kind of weather in order to make it. I just would not think the average person could come to Alaska thinking they could make it there without expecting someone to teach them how to survie the elements the way of making a living. And with a strong motivation of some kind. I can see someone who loves the outdoors, loves to hunt fish trap thinking that they would like living in Alaska. But even then they would need to be people who are what i would call real outdoorsmen, people who hunt for the meat, not just sport.

Last edited by MAAA; 08/18/13 09:00 PM.
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950496
08/19/13 01:14 AM
08/19/13 01:14 AM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
you'd be shocked what you get used too when you want too...not to mention its a different kind of cold. Very dry for most of us. compared to a wet cold down there. I laugh when people laugh about it more now...after spending time on the east coast in their 'winters'. I had enough cloths on to be out here screwing off at -20, mind you I was getting blown upside down and backwards in a treestand at 20 above while I was there doing absolutely nothing but trying to remember what whitetails looked like.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950533
08/19/13 02:15 AM
08/19/13 02:15 AM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
I grew up in Upstate NY in a non-hunting/trapping type family. I was NOT raised with animals of any sort, and while my childhood was just fine (no type of drama, very ordinary), I believe I was bored (in retrospect) - always wanted to come to Alaska. There's a lot more to the story, but, I digress...

The cold at 20* in upstate NY is BONE CHILLING BITTER cold. It's horrid, that WET nasty cold seeps into the bery FIBRE of your bones and is not tolerable. Here in Alaska at 30 BELOW I am out with just my long underwear, my FUR mukluks and a sherpa hoodie and FUR hat to take care of the critters. If I'm out for a long period of time, I get a good jacket smile It's just different!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950546
08/19/13 02:53 AM
08/19/13 02:53 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
You folks need to visit Western Alaska some day smile

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3950876
08/19/13 10:23 AM
08/19/13 10:23 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
We can discuss all day long how hard it is to make it in Alaska. The truth of the matter is there are a lot of people who come on here with a dream. When I was young my Mom sold real estate and she had a fair amount of contacts she called California Dreamers. They all wanted 20 acres in N Idaho with a trout stream running through it and deer and elk on the property and they expected to pay pennies on the dollar for what it was worth had such property been readily available. Many come on here thinking Alaska is similar the dreams are different they want a 10-100 miles of trap line with everything from marten to wolves and wolverine on it. The point is it just doesn't happen very often and when it does you are looking at years of hard work and a lot of bush knowledge to obtain said line. Combine that with some of the harshest most remote conditions in the world and you have Alaska. Throw in an over populated road system with guys claiming every trail ditch and roadside culvert and you have what the reality of it is. Some places trap lines can be found more easily but gaining access or finding much more than beaver and fox can be a challenge. Can you make it here? Probably. Will you make it here? The odds say probably not. Read the rules take the advice here and you might beat the odds. Ignore them and you may be one unhappy or very dead trapper. I don't think anyone here is trying to discourage a guy from coming up and trying it but are simply trying to let you know this isn't Iowa, Kansas, New York or any place else other than Alaska and it is not only very unique in its nature along with its individual characters that are already here, but it has a huge variety of climates and conditions within the state itself. This makes for a huge amount of responses. One of the first rules I learned here was never go out on the river without an ice pick or checker of some kind and a hatchet or axe doesn't qualify as that tool. I doubt seriously that someone boat trapping in SE needs that icepick every day if at all, even I don't but I never leave home without one. I hope this helps some who want to come realize a bit more of what to expect

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951035
08/19/13 12:01 PM
08/19/13 12:01 PM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Reality is a harsh friend. I too have them dreams but as it is explained in the mired of information above, truth and our concept is slightly off kilter. I should have done it in the late 70s, when I went up there. but work and responsibility kind of takes it to the side. I wish anyone going up that way finds an opportunity of a lifetime~! Send pictures and stories. I will find a way up there but not in the way i really want to be, as some of you that live that lifestyle.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Ronaround] #3951104
08/19/13 12:39 PM
08/19/13 12:39 PM
Princeton, Maine
M
Mainiac Offline
trapper
Mainiac  Offline
trapper
M

Princeton, Maine
If you want to go.... then go! Its not a cold inhospitable [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] you are walking into. Do the research, get prepared and do it. All great achievements and ideas have many people saying it can't be done or shouldn't be done. Take the advise but not the "nay-saying" and try for your dream.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: yukonjeff] #3951263
08/19/13 01:51 PM
08/19/13 01:51 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted By: yukonjeff
You folks need to visit Western Alaska some day smile

I'm guessing that it's that nasty wet cold there?? LOL

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951273
08/19/13 01:55 PM
08/19/13 01:55 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
These guys are absolutely right, I ignored all the "you can't do it" people and did it anyways smile I may not be where Yukon Jeff or Otterman or White is, but I like where I am, and I'm far enough out to not want to shoot someone daily, yet with just a 4 mile dirt road between me and the highway, it's still pretty accessible for emergencies.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951315
08/19/13 02:14 PM
08/19/13 02:14 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3951891
08/19/13 07:21 PM
08/19/13 07:21 PM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
note to self....never go pick up nice fur hat from Wolfwoman she may change her mind on shooting people from the big cities lol.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952043
08/19/13 08:26 PM
08/19/13 08:26 PM
Gypsum,kansas
B
bigshane Offline
trapper
bigshane  Offline
trapper
B

Gypsum,kansas
this has been the most interesting thread I have ever read thanks to all.

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: Tradbow1] #3952370
08/19/13 09:54 PM
08/19/13 09:54 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted By: Tradbow1
note to self....never go pick up nice fur hat from Wolfwoman she may change her mind on shooting people from the big cities lol.

Unfortunately, lately that may be more the case than you think. The thieves are at it again in the Valley - Two neighbors have had gas stolen from them, and one has had trespassers that she didn't know.

Just bought a Moultrie M880 wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952706
08/20/13 12:11 AM
08/20/13 12:11 AM
AK
T
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper
Tradbow1  Offline
trapper
T

AK
I have a couple cuddy's, not familiar with the moultries, hopefully its a IR...if not, they'll steal that too LOL!

They're stealing fuel like crazy around here last winter....broad daylight. Some of the places were people on vacation, perp pulled his truck in the vacationer's garage and told cops he was 'checking the place out to rent'. The 40 stays close! wink

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952773
08/20/13 01:09 AM
08/20/13 01:09 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
If I missed something, forgive me, but I don't think a single Alaskan on this thread suggested "Don't do it". This has been a reality check. The folks contributing here are not doing so to discourage. Most that don't live here simply don't understand just how imense and diversifided this state is. For those still following from down south, it really is the size of 1/3 of the entire lower 48. That would be like asking what the trapping is like from Florida to Minnesota, and Maine to the Mississippi. Bound to get a few different answers.
The REAL kicker is, add the difference in terrain and territory, add again the different climate, and again the access and travelability of vastly differing areas, and you are just now getting warm as to the generalizations of most questions pertaining to THE BIG MOVE TO ALASKA! Ultimatly, one needs to narrow down thier search in this great state, then ask the questions that pertain to that area. What would work in Bend, Oregon probably won't help you in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Oh, and yes, even S.E. Alaska gets cold. Getting the line out last December....salt water.....

Skim ice, thank God.

Last edited by alaska viking; 08/20/13 01:11 AM.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Alaskan Dreamers [Re: otterman] #3952802
08/20/13 01:43 AM
08/20/13 01:43 AM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
I've run into a number of guys who came to Alaska and thought because they hunted and trapped in the lower 48 that they didn't need any advice, fools thought I. Take all the free advice you can get and be appreciative that some are willing to give it, the reality is this website is all about advice because we all need some at some point and if you look at the posts you will see a lot of it is people asking questions and others offering up their experiences whether it's with gear, snogo's, techniques etc. etc. and I for one am greatful that this free website exists because I've learned a lot here and have met lots of good people here.........Masii Choo Trapperman......................

I once held the yardstick of another's perfection, I threw it down and carved my own........

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman