No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3904690 - 07/23/13 09:36 AM Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California
Nbhunt1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/23/coy...test=latestnews
Don't know if link will work but google the title and it'll pop up

#3904722 - 07/23/13 10:12 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
Leftlane Offline
trapper

Loc: Hill Country of Texas
Well it is not like the state would allow the population to teach a wild animal respect right?
& More money!

#3904737 - 07/23/13 10:21 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper

Loc: central ohio
Think you'd notice a coyote 20 foot away. Then they shot 3 coyotes in a grave yard. I've never hunted in one. Glad the little girl made it.

#3904742 - 07/23/13 10:23 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
rustytrap11 Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
That probably didn't happen, as coyotes preferred food is little rodents. And last I looked, little 2 yr old girls or not on the rodent list. This latest info on coyotes preferred food came from a Pa game commission ,furbearer biologist.

#3904774 - 07/23/13 10:42 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
waveslider Online   content
trapper

Loc: Idaho
Its crazy how coyotes have adapted in California (and probably elsewhere other than SW Idaho). I think people from a lot of places would be shocked and amazed at what Californians are willing to accommodate in terms of Coyotes. If you go hiking on virtually any of the "Suburban" Trails in places like Malibu, Glendale/Angeles Crest, Orange County you are almost guaranteed to see one, more often at close range.

In Joshua Tree, the coyotes are so brazen that they will come into your campsite, WHILE YOU ARE IN IT, and try to beg for food or scraps and the NPS doesn't have the stones to put them down. Sad actually. They tried to use hotdogs laced with some type of terrible vomit inducing repellent. The coyotes came back with the paper plates in their mouth looking for more.

Of course, that was back when it was illegal to carry a gun in a National Park.

In my time there I shot exactly 2 coyotes, each within 25 FEET of me or my wife and several more that I drew down on but didn't get the opportunity to shoot. Growing up in Missouri, coyotes were secretive enough that if you saw one, you felt like you saw a wild animal. In the PRK, when you see a coyote its no different than seeing sparrow or an ant

H.L. Mencken

#3904778 - 07/23/13 10:44 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
HDK Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio, Darke
Rustytrap11, where have you been! Where are you getting your info? this is happening more and more every year. california has had NUMEROUS coyote attacks in the past few years. Yes, it is rare a coyote grabbing a kid so close to parent but it DOES happen. Preferred food,absolutely but the coyote is an opertunistic hunter. MAYBE something was wrong with it too.

#3904785 - 07/23/13 10:47 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
Ldsoldier Offline
trapper

Loc: NCSU, North Carolina
HDK, I think I detected a hint of sarcasm in Rusty's response. Could just be me, though. smile

#3904790 - 07/23/13 10:49 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
HDK Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio, Darke
Sure hope so!

#3904799 - 07/23/13 10:54 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper

Loc: central ohio
Visited my uncle in Washington DC. He said those are dogs. I said, you see them a lot? He said yes. I said, those are coyotes. He said, people throw them food, they seem nice.

#3904816 - 07/23/13 11:01 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: rustytrap11]
tony270 Offline
"Top Lot Tony"

Loc: California

Hi rustytrap11.

Coyote attacks are not that uncommon around here compared to other wild animals, most times the coyote is sick, old, or rabid etc, but a small unattended child could trigger a healthy coyote to attack. You can't get any farther into a metropolis than where the coyote attack happened. As a matter of fact that area is not that far from Carson where some Citizens tried to stop the city from trapping coyotes. The city investigated what they said and then started the trapping program back up.

Some of us hunt them day and night, they’re so bad in the residential areas where I live that they hunt at our front doorsteps while we’re asleep and sometimes during the daylight hours. One thing we don’t have is loose dogs or cats, and if they are loose they don’t last long. Here's a link that has some stories about coyote attacks:

http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm
Originally Posted By: rustytrap11
That probably didn't happen, as coyotes preferred food is little rodents. And last I looked, little 2 yr old girls or not on the rodent list. This latest info on coyotes preferred food came from a Pa game commission ,furbearer biologist.

#3904854 - 07/23/13 11:28 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
loganlamothe Offline
trapper

Loc: Big River, Sask
"Little Rodents"

#3904869 - 07/23/13 11:35 AM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
smithco. trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: lebanon,tn
Were i hunt and trap a little girl saw one coming from about 150 yards down the road towards her and she told her daddy about it WHAP!!!!!! Coyote got a 12 gauge slug to the head.the coyotes around hear no longer try to get after kids

Coon 0/40
Mink 0/5
muskrat 0/20
Beaver 0/10
Otter 0/1

#3904921 - 07/23/13 12:09 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
SnareLine Online   content
trapper

Loc: NY
A 19 year old folk singer in Canada was attacked and killed by two a few years ago. They were healthy yotess, just aggressive. Mixed with wolves, actually; east coast yotes.

#3905086 - 07/23/13 01:45 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
Mortamie Offline
trapper

Hmm wonder when this type of story will happen ith wolves here in idaho
Mink-0/2
Beaver-0/4
Yote-0/2
Bobcat-0/1

God bless,
Shawn

#3905090 - 07/23/13 01:51 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Mortamie]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Stronghurst , IL
Originally Posted By: Mortamie

Already has in Alaska. Just last week think it was on here about them following a guy on his bike.

Drifter
Ayn Rand: "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Life member NTA , member Illinois and Ohio assoc .

#3905336 - 07/23/13 04:40 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
rustytrap11 Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
Absolutely meant to be sarcastic.

#3905811 - 07/23/13 08:33 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Mortamie]
trapper

Originally Posted By: Mortamie

Mortamie,

If you saw the pics from some of my friend's game cameras and where they are located you will realize that its only a brief matter of time...

H.L. Mencken

#3905911 - 07/23/13 09:18 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
trapper/caller Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
...Not to mention the mgt or lack of for the CA mountain lions. Would be a "hay-day" of animal control for sure.

...problems here with pets when people feed stray cats off the back door step....and coyotes move in.

#3905945 - 07/23/13 09:36 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: Nbhunt1]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Only problem with these urban situations is that trapping them would be nearly impossible. Where those coyotes attacked that girl was right in the middle of a city. Even if footholds didn't turn out to be a public relations nightmare, they'd probably stay jammed up with housecats.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me the best way to control coyotes in a situation like this is electronic calls and shotgunning from tree stands.

#3905990 - 07/23/13 10:00 PM Re: Coyote drags 2-year-old girl in California [Re: BuckNE]
trapper

Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Only problem with these urban situations is that trapping them would be nearly impossible. Where those coyotes attacked that girl was right in the middle of a city. Even if footholds didn't turn out to be a public relations nightmare, they'd probably stay jammed up with housecats.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me the best way to control coyotes in a situation like this is electronic calls and shotgunning from tree stands.

Actually Buck, I think a lot of the ADC guys use spotlights and 22 sub-sonic just driving around at night. They use AirForce Talons for the smaller critters like rabbits. At least that's how one of the largest ADC guys in all of Southern Cal deals with them. The dogs are tame enough that they don't necessarily bolt when they see a vehicle. This is for the larger developed neighborhoods and open spaces.

H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >