No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3898805 - 07/19/13 11:17 AM Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

Loc: North Carolina
Does anyone have a video or instructions on skinning coyotes with a skinning machine? Or is it any different than a coon besides opening cuts and such?

#3898809 - 07/19/13 11:20 AM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
BobMo Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota

Edited by BobMo (07/19/13 11:21 AM)

#3898817 - 07/19/13 11:24 AM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
skunker101 Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Minnesota
way different. we skun just over 2000 last year on the machine and i hand pulled about another 1000. i hate coyotes lol. its not bad on the machine. unlike coon where ya open em and can just pull to get down past the hips the yotes ya gotta knife and pull to get down past the hips. its a pain. machine works good though all the way to the front legs. be very careful once you get to the elbows as this is where your greatest amount of pressure is and you can and will rip a few if you get too much pressure goin. usually they will rip in the flank right into the back... bad deal. means lots of sewing. to be totally honest i can pull em faster by hand... no joke. once the opening cuts are made on the table i can pull one down and have nose cut in jus a hair over 5 min. on the machine with my bro runnin it (he is the fastest of our 3 skinners on the machine)he can peel one out in about 6 min.. but he can also skin another 40 the next day when my knuckles are all bruised from pullin.

#3898846 - 07/19/13 11:49 AM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
ThumbStateTrappr Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan's Thumb

A trapper is an addict, Furbearers the drug, The outdoors the enabler, And there is no cure.

#3898852 - 07/19/13 11:54 AM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
k. miller Offline
trapper

Loc: Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
sometimes faster isn't always what a rig is about... its back saving!!

#3898897 - 07/19/13 12:22 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
brandon170 Online   content
trapper

Loc: INDIANA
When you get it down to the front legs stick a big screw driver behind the hide in the armpit and pull down with it to get the legs started down.

Edited by brandon170 (07/19/13 12:23 PM)

#3898900 - 07/19/13 12:24 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: ThumbStateTrappr]
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

Originally Posted By: ThumbStateTrappr

I couldn't find any instructions?

#3898904 - 07/19/13 12:28 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
ThumbStateTrappr Offline
trapper

Click on the videos.

A trapper is an addict, Furbearers the drug, The outdoors the enabler, And there is no cure.

#3898923 - 07/19/13 12:43 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

They are just of coon

#3898963 - 07/19/13 01:10 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: BobMo]
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

Originally Posted By: BobMo

I hope that really isnt how you do it....

#3898988 - 07/19/13 01:23 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
ThumbStateTrappr Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: coondagger2
They are just of coon

It really isn't much different. The areas of difference have been explained above by skunker101.

#3898990 - 07/19/13 01:24 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
k. miller Offline
trapper

Loc: Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
imo... the hardest part of skinning a coyote is the brisket area... learned a trick from an old timer that really helps... take a regular claw hammer and pound on the inside of the skin right between the front legs.. it will loosen the brisket area enough to get a rod through the legs so you can pull them through...

#3898992 - 07/19/13 01:25 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
ThumbStateTrappr Offline
trapper

What??? You don't like his shoes?

#3898998 - 07/19/13 01:30 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: BobMo]
Uncle Fester Offline
"Mongoose Master"

Loc: Colorado

I would be in a wheel chair after a couple days if I skinned the way this guy does all bent over!!!!

#3899038 - 07/19/13 01:48 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
bigshane Offline
trapper

Loc: solomon,kansas
the getelman in the video above does alot more cutting than I do I skin daily that may be half froze. once I free the back legs and tail I pull untill im to the front legs. then I use a brass rod to start the front legs get them free and pull until I see th back side of the ears then do some knifing. I wouldnt trade my machine for anything unless it was for a hydraulic machine super slick.

#3899044 - 07/19/13 01:53 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
~ADC~ Offline
trapper

Loc: SE-Central Iowa
I'll make a video this fall on it Noah. Skin them warm as you can and they peel much like a coon. If you can't skin them til they are cold you'll need to skin just like you do by hand only instead of pulling a couple inches by hand and then cutting around, you use the machine to do the small pull. If you get too aggressive with the hoist on cold coyotes they are prone to tear.

Its still much simpler than any of the videos I've seen on it, much like the other coon skinning with hoists videos some guys don't know the little tricks. Compare them to mine and see. lol

~ADC~

#3899057 - 07/19/13 02:07 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
yoteguts Offline
trapper

Loc: central Illinois
Love my ADC Skinner. I skin mine down off the hips and pull the tail by hand. After that its all machine pull. Fresher the better but cold yotes are no problem for me anymore. One of the best trapping items I have ever purchased.

More trappin' and less yappin'.

Member FTA & USSA.

#3899059 - 07/19/13 02:09 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: coondagger2]
BobMo Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota

Nope. I do em by hand.
He asked for a video so I provided a link to one.

#3899097 - 07/19/13 02:34 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: k. miller]
skunker101 Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Minnesota
Originally Posted By: k. miller
sometimes faster isn't always what a rig is about... its back saving!!

ha miller. when there are 200 thawed ones that need to be skinned today its about speed lol. ill worry about my back when im 30. hope to have some other fool trained in by then so i can just put em on boards lol.

that brisket is the toughest part. that is where we see lots of holes when other guys think they know what they are doing. the way i do it hand pullin is not to get the hide pulled down too tight. leave a little slack when ya get down there and ya can push with your fist all the way down to were that brisket split (if that makes sense... hard to explain) then pull him down little pushin around the shoulders and pull down. then use a rod or stick to push through between leg and leather. its tough to explain once ya get it figured out they aren't so bad... oh wait we're still talkin about coyotes... no they just suck.lol

#3899112 - 07/19/13 02:45 PM Re: Skinning coyotes with a skinning machine [Re: Uncle Fester]
Pasadena Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio,45yrs old,
Originally Posted By: Uncle Fester

I would be in a wheel chair after a couple days if I skinned the way this guy does all bent over!!!!

Exactly what I was thinking as I was watching it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >