No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3894518 - 07/16/13 04:46 PM Fox Gland Lure formula
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevadafornia
I have 2 very specific questions so don't turn this post into something it is not.

Stanley Hawbaker wrote a book many years ago called Hawbaker's Supreme Fox & Coyote Trapping Methods, or something like that. Its a little paperback book available for $3-4. In the book, the author gives a lure formula for a fox gland lure and the implication is that the formula is the same, or strikingly similar, to Hawbaker 100 fox gland lure.

So here's my first question: Has anyone seen this formula in print anywhere else other than in Hawbaker's book?

The second question is, Has anyone made the lure according to the formula in the book, and if so, what results did you have?

#3894558 - 07/16/13 05:09 PM Re: Fox Gland Lure formula [Re: Lazarus]
bucksaver Offline
trapper

Loc: kentucky
His book red an grey foxes an how to trap them he mentions the same thing. Says that it nearly the same as no.100

#3894987 - 07/16/13 09:23 PM Re: Fox Gland Lure formula [Re: bucksaver]
Coon Duke Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
The formula is in a few of his books. The one you speak of is the one that contains egg whites and the other contains no egg whites but does have wolf urine. I have never seen the formula anywhere else but I have had a superb trapper and lure maker (now deceased) tell me to use egg in fox gland lures. He recommended 1 egg per pint.

IMO the key to making the Hawbaker gland lure is using the right cutting of glands aged correctly and mixed with the same quality and type of urine hawbaker uses. I have played around with a few different ratios but if you start off with the right ingredients the smell is close to the production lure.

The Fox #100 is a great lure. It is (supposedly) a simple formula but works as good as or better than most anything out there.

The gray fox gland lure from hawbakers is the only gray gland I ever smelled that actually stank like a gray fox. Somehow he can keep that fresh "goaty" urine smell in there without it going stale.

And the wildcat #2 contains real catnip...my cats give the classic catnip response when exposed to it.

Old Stan had some good gland lures...
~ PTA Life #482 - FTA - NTA ~

#3895079 - 07/16/13 10:10 PM Re: Fox Gland Lure formula [Re: Lazarus]
aprophet Offline
trapper

Loc: Portsmouth Va.
I have made all the versions in the different books they all work well FWIW I never noticed greys stinking But then I think the back end of a red smells good smile bout 2 weeks into the season smells like money smile

Molan Labe

Venari Vastantium

#3895288 - 07/17/13 05:56 AM Re: Fox Gland Lure formula [Re: Lazarus]
Bob Jameson Offline

Loc: SW Pa
Not to stray too far from this specific topic. However I determined cultured egg to be an outstanding ingredient or lure base many years ago. I use 20 - 25 gal of cultured egg base each year.

Well formulated cultured egg is an extremely natural and attractive food odor that is very appealing to all protein feeding wildlife.I am sure if the old time lure makers had perfected the art of culturing whole eggs they would have used it alot more than raw eggs. Maybe some did and it has never been mentioned in print.

Wildlife Pest Control Services

#3895370 - 07/17/13 08:08 AM Re: Fox Gland Lure formula [Re: Bob Jameson]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
Not to stray too far from this specific topic. However I determined cultured egg to be an outstanding ingredient or lure base many years ago. I use 20 - 25 gal of cultured egg base each year.

Well formulated cultured egg is an extremely natural and attractive food odor that is very appealing to all protein feeding wildlife.I am sure if the old time lure makers had perfected the art of culturing whole eggs they would have used it alot more than raw eggs. Maybe some did and it has never been mentioned in print.
How do you culture an egg?When my wife said that I needed more culture,,she made me go see a play with her.

#3895379 - 07/17/13 08:21 AM Re: Fox Gland Lure formula [Re: bowhunter27295]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: bowhunter27295
Did it make you feel more cultured?
You were allowed coctails at this play,,so it wasnt so bad.LOL

#3924544 - 08/04/13 01:08 PM Re: Fox Gland Lure formula [Re: Lazarus]
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
ttt for the curious type...