No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3890753 - 07/14/13 10:57 AM Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
With the current rise in fur prices,the obvious increase in new trappers' numbers and competition this coming season,the reluctance of experienced trappers to share information with the new wave of "competition",the recent push by animal rights groups to limit or ban trapping in many states,the amount of uninformed questions that have been asked on this forum recently by these new trappers,especially about confusing state trapping regulations and the very probable increase in the number of negative trapping incidents,that are sure to follow this season,who among you does not think that the time has come for mandatory trapping education,similar to the successful state hunter education programs,in states that do not have them,now? All of you,who have opposed it in the past,do you think it is now necessary and if not,how much more will it take to convince you? And,in states with little or no trapper education programs of any significance,do you think it is time to make state supported mandatory trapper education the number one priority of your state trapping organization? Has this reached critical mass and is it fixing to explode in our faces or am I just experiencing a "Chicken Little,the sky is falling!" moment? What is your opinion on this issue,at this time? Thanks and Good Luck.

Edited by N-R Trapper (07/14/13 11:45 AM)

#3890776 - 07/14/13 11:14 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
coonwild Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
Been here for years

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Matt Duncan

#3890783 - 07/14/13 11:19 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Minnesota
Educate or lose it all.
Tom

#3890789 - 07/14/13 11:23 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
BIRDOGS Offline
trapper

Loc: PATUXENT RIVER, LOTHIAN MARYLA...
here too! Maryland has had it since 2006 I think? or 2008'ish? manditory for some states for sure...... I'm more disappointed that the class isn't oriented toward kids.... I don't think my son needs to learn the biology of each animal to go trapping, or shoot a fox I call in! IMO the class was written by A PETA BIOLOGIST..... at least the reading material I received for my kids!

#3890795 - 07/14/13 11:29 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Part of the education is to learn the biology of the animals you are trapping. The more you know about an animal--the better trapper you will be.
Tom

#3890800 - 07/14/13 11:31 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: BIRDOGS]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Good point,Birdogs,some states with mandatory trapper education may need to review and update their trapper education programs,some may have become outdated and need a shot of new blood. Thanks and Good Luck

#3890803 - 07/14/13 11:33 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
J Staton Offline
trapper

Loc: Arkansas
As long as it's free and readily accessible it wouldn't hurt a thing.

#3890811 - 07/14/13 11:39 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
I think trapper Ed should be mandatory. And it should Include time in the field, not just sitting in a classroom listening to some one talk. Probably a 2 day program. Start off in the classroom, then set traps in the field, then check next day and evaluate the whole process.

A section on Ethics should also be Included. That seems to be missing in a lot of the newer, younger trappers. IMO

#3890819 - 07/14/13 11:45 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Nancy, several of the states already incorporate those exact things in their trappers ed courses.
Best learning tools on earth--hands on.
Tom

#3890822 - 07/14/13 11:47 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
Tom,

I know some of the states have excellent hands on programs. Just wish that ALL states did.

#3890824 - 07/14/13 11:50 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
you just described our workshop's wiss miss, we go through all of that and MORE.

Only problem I see is getting people to teach the class's! Resolve that problem and id be for it being mandatory.

Right now we have more chief's than we do Indians.

#3890835 - 07/14/13 11:59 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
chessydogs Offline
trapper

Loc: Maryland
Maryland's Trapper Ed course is 4 to 6 hours long. One of the first things I tell every class is that I can't teach them to trap in that time. The class focuses primarily on ethics, laws and regulations and where to look for more information if you have questions. We do show them how to make sets with different traps but the main focus is to get new trappers basic info to keep them out of trouble.

Md Fur Trappers has offered a weekend long course that is separate from Trapper Ed for more than 20 years. We teach people how to trap at this course, but there is still a lot of ground to cover in a couple days. It is a lot more detailed on methods, traps and fur handling. Even then, we still stress ethics throughout the course.

#3890840 - 07/14/13 12:02 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Jtrapper]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

JTrapper,another good point, state mandatory trapper education will take a resource and personnel commitment by both the state game and fish agency and the state trapping organization and all of its members,without this cooperative effort there will be no successful trapping education program,mandatory or not. Thanks and Good Luck

#3890855 - 07/14/13 12:13 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
OneHandSetters Offline
trapper

Loc: Manchester Vt
Nancy & Tom, That is how Vt Trappers Ed is set up. I went to one two years ago to bring some new trappers. It was a two day course and you stayed over night with classes ending after supper.
I loved it, A lot of donations where given and drawings held to give it all away.
Traps and Trapping equipment, board stretchers, you name it. The State of Vermont gave away all the traps that they used on the Bobcat study.

Hands on skinning a fleshing animals with actual trap setting both in a stream and on land for all species.
It was Great!!
Dave

#3890896 - 07/14/13 12:49 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Allan Minear Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewistown , Mt
Montana has the Youth Trappers Ed. Weekend each June . It's been attened by kids and family's from many different states not just Montana , Wyoming and Idaho . It fills up quickly each year . With many students catching beaver then skinning it and putting it up .
We also have a involved group of certified instructors who do share what we know to people adults as well as kids . I for one have set up informational booths at County Fairs and have helped at Sports shows to increase knowledge about trapping and the tools we use to harvest the animals we go after . I'm proud to say that many of the people we have helped with our program has gone out and did quite well harvesting fur bearers humanly as well as ethically .

Allan

#3891019 - 07/14/13 02:14 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
bpb Offline
trapper

Loc: NewYorkisstan & Madison county...
WELLLL I suppose if more of the expert trappers were involved with there states DNR's all the newbies would be up running long lines in a matter of weeks.
whistle

LOL @ birddog, you'll probable have your traps checked a few times this coming season after making the PeTA comment.

#3891031 - 07/14/13 02:25 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
No education classes by state.

Mandatory 3 year membership in a state NTA or FTA affiliated organization attending one or more functions where trapping is taught through those organizations. If the state wants to be a part let them, but let the organization do the format.

#3891051 - 07/14/13 02:43 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Here it is a mandatory 40 hr course .Testing requires an 80% to pass and includes fur handling and field work.
Cost is $200 which includes a comprehensive trapping manual.
Trapping instructors are taught by provincial federation to deliver the program.
Trappers are recommended by their local council to take the training to become instructors.
The cost of the instructor training is covered by the provincial federation.
The instructors usually put on the course at least once a year of up to 20 students at a time.Some instructors give more than one course per year. Instructors have to pass a police check to qualify.
The instructor is paid out of the 200 dollar fee minus the cost of the manuals.
It is up to the instructor to provide all traps and equipment for the course as well as all animals for skinning,and fur handling equipment sufficient for all students.
In Ontario Mandatory trappers education has been required since the early 80's at least,in order to be able to trap.

#3891089 - 07/14/13 03:06 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Boco]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Boco,that is amazing,it seems that Ontario takes trapper education as serious as it takes hunter education,a very good thing,in my opinion. And,to think that there are states in the Lower 48 that do not even have a state sponsored trapping education program,period,mandatory or otherwise. Ontario's trapping education program could very well be the model used for other future trapping education programs here,in the U.S.,especially if the state game and fish agencies take it upon themselves to do it unilaterally,without the help and input of the state trapping organizations,especially those that will stubbornly oppose mandatory trapping education to the bitter end. Those states and their resident trappers that are without it,now,are definitely at a disadvantage and will see the negative effects from it sooner than later,I fear. Thanks and Good Luck

#3891227 - 07/14/13 04:32 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

One thing I should have mentioned-the program was originally administered by the provincial MNR,but really became successful and more in depth after our provincial federation started to administer the whole fur program including licencing and data management,under contract to the MNR.

#3891248 - 07/14/13 04:48 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Boco]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: BFE.Alaska
Originally Posted By: Boco
Here it is a mandatory 40 hr course .Testing requires an 80% to pass and includes fur handling and field work.
Cost is $200 which includes a comprehensive trapping manual.
Trapping instructors are taught by provincial federation to deliver the program.
Trappers are recommended by their local council to take the training to become instructors.
The cost of the instructor training is covered by the provincial federation.
The instructors usually put on the course at least once a year of up to 20 students at a time.Some instructors give more than one course per year. Instructors have to pass a police check to qualify.
The instructor is paid out of the 200 dollar fee minus the cost of the manuals.
It is up to the instructor to provide all traps and equipment for the course as well as all animals for skinning,and fur handling equipment sufficient for all students.
In Ontario Mandatory trappers education has been required since the early 80's at least,in order to be able to trap.

That's exactly what I would NOT like to see happen as a 14 year old kid I could not have afforded $200 that's would of been a fortune to me then.
if its not done free its just like a trapping tax I am all for education as long as everyone has access to it not just the rich kids.
The next thing you know they would want to make you register your trapline and have to pay thousands of dollars to trap and lock out all the new trappers.

#3891272 - 07/14/13 05:04 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Maybe we should give them free traps too-lol-you only get what you pay for.I dont know how old you are or how long it has been since you were 14.
It doesnt take a kid long to catch 200 bucks worth of fur.For a teenager to work for something he wants is a good thing in my book.
Giving out stuff for free teaches them nothing.
By the way we train lots of 12 yr old and up.The cost is irrelevant.The manual alone is priceless to a beginner.
And Registered traplines in ontario are not bought or sold.
There are vacant lines as we speak and are allocated on a point system.
Many traplines are allocated in Ontario each year at no cost to the trapper except the cost of a licence.
Many older trappers take on younger trappers to help with their harvests with the intent to pass the line on when they retire,so there is plenty of opportunity to trap with our system and has been such for years.
And it is not a tax it is free enterprise as the instructor is paid directly by the student.And the 200 dollar fee is a maximum that the instructor can charge-he can give the course for free if he so chooses.

#3891276 - 07/14/13 05:08 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

So how can you catch $200 worth of fur before you can trap? cart before the horse I would say.

#3891283 - 07/14/13 05:13 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Same way you buy something on hired purchase.You know what borrowing is?

#3891289 - 07/14/13 05:16 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
A lot of kids these days spend $200 on a cell phone. Twice that on an Ipad. Might as well spend it on something that is going to give them a return.

FTA Trapper College is $1200 for a week. The program Boco is talking about is $200 for 40 hours of training.

#3891292 - 07/14/13 05:17 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
sgs Offline
trapper

Loc: NH
Quote:
Has this reached critical mass and is it fixing to explode in our faces or am I just experiencing a "Chicken Little,the sky is falling!" moment?

Yes, you are experiencing a 'sky is falling' anxiety attack.

Let each state decide what they want to do. If you're running around with a 'sky is falling' mentality you will make many mistakes, I assure you.

Work with your trappers association in LA and find out why your state doesn't have trapper ed courses. You may find out they do, just not government mandated. If you think it's so important, start your own.

"Government mandated" is not a term most want to hear.

#3891307 - 07/14/13 05:25 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Yes hunter ed has been a success in deterring new participants and I suspect hunting bans that occurred since mandatory hunter ed were not prevented.

As was stated above if a State has to play the mandatory trapper ed card to prevent a ban fine, other than that, I would save this card for when you need it.

#3891323 - 07/14/13 05:33 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Trapper Education is worthless if held as a card to play when a ban is proposed. The bans are usually voted in with referendums. The people running the referendums are not interested in compromise.

#3891329 - 07/14/13 05:36 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

I say if anyone wants to make it mandatory for themselves go for it, don't dictate to the rest of us otherwise its just more regulation I don't need that but thanks for your concern.

#3891340 - 07/14/13 05:46 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

In Ontario, fur trapping is a profession,and is what keeps trapping on a different level than fishing and hunting which are recreational.
If one wants to be a professional and carry on a profession,then there have to be some minimum educational standards required to qualify.
I think this is where,in the US trapping is not conducted as a profession and is viewed by some trappers as well as the general public as a recreational activity,or a way for anyone who chooses to do away with nuisance wildlife.I could be wrong.
I think some trappers in the US would wish for fur trapping to be viewed as a profession.
As Dirt alluded to in his above post-It is easier for antis to attack something that is done for fun as opposed to something that contributes to the economy,and puts bread and butter on your kids plate.
Another point which the OP made is the very real possibility of giving the anti's all the ammunition they need to ban trapping by having unskilled and untrained trappers afield.
Something to contemplate when you think a couple hundred bucks is too much for a professional trapping education.

#3891371 - 07/14/13 06:14 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
sgs Offline
trapper

Some people love government regulations. Some don't. Some like it if it helps them.

Because of the people who love regulation (even though most claim they don't), the drum beat for government interference in our lives will never end. Some day we might even surpass Canada.

So let N-R beat the drum. It's inevitable even though there is a ready alternative.

#3891440 - 07/14/13 07:02 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: BuckNE]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Trapper Education is worthless if held as a card to play when a ban is proposed. The bans are usually voted in with referendums. The people running the referendums are not interested in compromise.

Trapper Ed as a card can be used to mollify legislation, I agree having it in place or as a card will not prevent ballot initiative bans.

#3891456 - 07/14/13 07:09 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

I think we should have mandatory sex education in school to prevent teenage pregnancy. crazy

#3891513 - 07/14/13 07:42 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
We have so few trappers in our state it is hard to understand the expense of overhead to issue the licenses.

Just require a hunting license and tag your traps.

Why issue licenses if there aren't enough trappers to cover the cost of overhead.

Do the math. $30 for license. Less than 600 active trappers. Won't cover the cost of overhead let alone labor.

Personally the way I was raised and my son I see no need for Hunter Ed from a hunting family that has purchased a hunting license for years.

--------------------------------------------------------

That ought to get a response.

#3891530 - 07/14/13 07:49 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
J Staton Offline
trapper

Loc: Arkansas
I try and recruit young trappers every year.I donate use of my equipment and share my knowledge.It works.But if I had to pay $200 for them or ask them too,I'm not likely to have many recruits.Free and accessible model for me. Now a weekend course like our association holds,that's different it's not required.

#3891565 - 07/14/13 08:10 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: sgs]
BIRDOGS Offline
trapper

Loc: PATUXENT RIVER, LOTHIAN MARYLA...
Originally Posted By: sgs
Some people love government regulations. Some don't. Some like it if it helps them.

Because of the people who love regulation (even though most claim they don't), the drum beat for government interference in our lives will never end. Some day we might even surpass Canada.

So let N-R beat the drum. It's inevitable even though there is a ready alternative.

ok..... so let's look at it thru different eyes for a second..... during the years of 'no classes or education offered' and the problems that happened again, and again, and again.... tickets to every trapper a GW ran into because they were to lazy to really understand the laws, and had no body to ask that was truly educated on the subject.... and then the newbies that caught the neighbors dog.... several times.... or like the guys have said on here before, in tidal they just think it's a free for all! all these things really make the trapper look really really dumb and turns the neighbors/media/gov't against us and our sport..... it seems like a class that will help the trapper stay out of trouble, keep from upsetting the nontrapper neighbors, and keep the bunnie hugging media off our tails it a dang good thing.... and the 'manditory trapper class' laws are help trappers, not the bunnie hungger's!

my only complaint was about my 8 year old kid has to take a class that is 'by looking at the information' is way to difficult for him to understand at this point.... heck, there are a ton of words in that book for the trapping class that there is no way my kid would ever understand for the next few years! much less when he was 8 and just passed the hunters ed class for the second time!!!!!! why can't the trappers class be like the hunters ed class? kid friendly for sure, and great fun for the kids!!!!! great refresher for the parents that don't hunt much but their kid is getting them back into it! and safety, safety, safety!!!!!!

#3891601 - 07/14/13 08:30 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: BIRDOGS]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Very good post,Birdogs. Thank you. Yes it can be exactly like hunter education and the money for it can come from the same source,the Pittman-Robertson Act funds,of which all states get a share of for hunter education programs,among other things. There are certain parts of these dedicated hunter education funds,that will provide extra funding for alternative outdoor education programs,of which trapping is one. If a state fails to use it's share of these funds they are pooled together and the states that use all their funds for alternative outdoor education,will equally split them the next year,plus their annual fund allotment for this purpose. The money is available to all states,now,all that is missing is for the state game and fish agencies to act on it and that is where the state trapping associations come in. Someone must light the fire and get the ball rolling,if it is not rolling,already. Good luck.

#3891642 - 07/14/13 08:54 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Sit back and wait--till its to late.
With fur prices up--everyones a trapper.The boom of the late 70s and early 80s ,brought them out of the woos work. Because of many of theses--so called trappers and their ignorance of ethics and laws,we lost many things.
If it happens again we may end up losing everything.
And just because someone has trapped in the past,doesn't mean they did everything right.
None of us are to old to learn or --to be educated.If you think you are, you are only fooling yourself.
Tom

#3891667 - 07/14/13 09:06 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
sgs Offline
trapper

Quote:
so let's look at it thru different eyes for a second..... during the years of 'no classes or education offered'

But is that time now? There is plenty of education out there and it's a good thing.

This isn't meant as a slam but you're a government employee who makes his living off of government regulations. Of course you want to see more.

If the folks who beat the drum for more government regulation would step up and put their money and time where you mouth is, there might not even be a problem.

But as I said, those who favor more government interference in our lives will never stop and will sooner rather than later get their way. After all, government is the answer to all problems.

#3891673 - 07/14/13 09:12 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Tom, I imagine a lot of the guys where were teenager's trapping fox here in the last boom have no clue a old rusty #2 double long spring tied to a sapling with a piece of wire won't hold a coyote as coyote's were just appearing here when most of them got out of trapping! Good point you bring up about 'old trappers'.

#3891680 - 07/14/13 09:15 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

What are you smoking? How am I a government employee making a living off Government regulations????
And I also am a trappers ed instructor for 2 different states--this is voluntary.
I also give instructional demos to hundreds of trappers every year--again--no pay for this.Just trying to help people be better trappers. One form of education.
Best to know exactly who you are accusing of what.
Tom

#3891693 - 07/14/13 09:21 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

You have to get gov't out of it and get a trapping organization to administer it under contract with gov't for funding.
When our federation did that (more than 15 years ago) we administered the entire fur program for millions less than the gov't could.

#3891694 - 07/14/13 09:21 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boone Liane Offline
trapper

Loc: MT
We have mandatory hunters education courses.........people still poach and do stupid stuff.

I dont see mandatory trappers education courses stopping the stupid ones from doing stupid stuff.

Edited by Boone Liane (07/14/13 09:21 PM)

#3891704 - 07/14/13 09:25 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Boone Liane]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boone Liane
We have mandatory hunters education courses.........people still poach and do stupid stuff.

I dont see mandatory trappers education courses stopping the stupid ones from doing stupid stuff.

Trapper Ed will cure everything just like Driver's Ed. crazy

#3891712 - 07/14/13 09:28 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
sgs Offline
trapper

Quote:
What are you smoking? How am I a government employee making a living off Government regulations????

Bogmaster, I was answering the post by BIRDOGS that I quoted. It has nothing to do with you.

#3891715 - 07/14/13 09:30 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

I say we should have mandatory pet owner education that is where all our problems come from.

#3891716 - 07/14/13 09:30 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

You will never be able to stop fools and idiots.
Tom

#3891729 - 07/14/13 09:35 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
An idea so perfect it should to be MANDATORY {For anyone born after such an such a date}. Distance yourself from government and you'll shortly see that the sky isn't falling. Sniveling Sucksters in .gov rub their hands with glee when they see the word MANDATORY. Cha CHING! I bet they're looking at this thread and saying HA! Those dummies are doing it to themselves. Encourage youngsters to attend trappers education. Don't make it MANDATORY. Let others enjoy freedoms that you enjoy without needlessly mandated B.S.

#3891751 - 07/14/13 09:46 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Sorry SGS, I worry about losing what we now have,so I get pretty passionate when it comes to some things.
Finn how is the government making money off Minnesotas mandatory trappers education?
If it had been up to me--no one would be grandfathered in.
If you can't pass a trappers ed course--you should take up knitting.
All of us no matter what age should be required to pass this course.
Jackie--that's exactly what I fear.
Tom

#3891769 - 07/14/13 09:56 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

They make it from gasoline tax from fuel burned hauling little Johnny into town...probably pull you over cuz it looked like you weren't wearing a seat belt on the way.

#3891781 - 07/14/13 10:00 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

And that is because of mandatory Trappers Education??????????
Tom

#3891782 - 07/14/13 10:01 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: FlyinFinn]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
They make it from gasoline tax from fuel burned hauling little Johnny into town...probably pull you over cuz it looked like you weren't wearing a seat belt on the way.

People don't wear seat belts? I thought they taught that in Driver's Ed. confused

#3891804 - 07/14/13 10:18 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

People look to governments' mandates to solve all ills. That is why our .gov is up in every single aspect of our supposedly free lives. More is definitely on the way. I'm signing out of this forum and will just read from the sidelines. I get too worked up over my perceived encroachments on freedom. So long.

#3891813 - 07/14/13 10:21 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
batman Offline
trapper

Loc: central Wisconsin
WI. TRappers Assoc. and WDNR run a joint mandatory trapper Ed program in WI. This two day class in my opinion is excellent. All the instructors are WTA members and volunteers certified by the WDNR. WDNR Wardens come in and speak to the classes. Ethics are always in the fore front. Both classroom and hands on field activities are taught. Last year alone we graduated over 2000 students. The cost of this class is $12. Half goes to WDNR and half to WTA. Students also recieve a free trapping license the first year and get some WTA benefits. There is also a correspondence course but it is a lengthy process. The WTA rates Trapper Ed as a very important part of the WTA.

#3891839 - 07/14/13 10:31 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
sgs Offline
trapper

Quote:
Sorry SGS, I worry about losing what we now have,so I get pretty passionate when it comes to some things.

No problem. I also worry about losing what we now have. Government regulations will only restrict what we have from what I've seen. And they will charge us for the restriction.

#3891886 - 07/14/13 11:09 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Maynard,wisconsin has a very good trappers education program and I for one am proud to be an instructor.
Tom

#3891910 - 07/14/13 11:46 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Stronghurst , IL
We have it here in Illinois as well. With as many eyes that are on us the uninformed can be a big liability. While you can legislate morality or ethic you can try to educate stupidity out of existence,you can cure ignorance. That is what a trappers education course is all about.

Drifter
Ayn Rand: "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Life member NTA , member Illinois and Ohio assoc .

#3891915 - 07/15/13 12:00 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: batman]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Loc: Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: batman
WI. TRappers Assoc. and WDNR run a joint mandatory trapper Ed program in WI. This two day class in my opinion is excellent. All the instructors are WTA members and volunteers certified by the WDNR. WDNR Wardens come in and speak to the classes. Ethics are always in the fore front. Both classroom and hands on field activities are taught. Last year alone we graduated over 2000 students. The cost of this class is $12. Half goes to WDNR and half to WTA. Students also recieve a free trapping license the first year and get some WTA benefits. There is also a correspondence course but it is a lengthy process. The WTA rates Trapper Ed as a very important part of the WTA.

on average, how far does the average child need to travel to attend? I guess, what I'm askin, is do ya'll have one in each county?? When i was mandated to take one 20+ years ago, each county in the state had to have one. In that scenario, mandatory trappers ed is GREAT. But, if you have to travel 200 miles as a 12 year old whose parents' don't share your enthusiasm (as mine did not!).... it's not so cool.

#3891965 - 07/15/13 01:11 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Page 8 My copy of "Wisconsin Cooperative Trapper Education Program" "Student Manual"

Under "Trapping Ethics" "There is nothing wrong with disagreement, but all individuals should have the opportunity to chose what is right for them, rather than having that decision forced on them"

I agree. smile

#3891974 - 07/15/13 02:45 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Rally Offline
trapper

Loc: Hill City,Mn.
I believe it is a good idea for anybody to take a course, as long as it is not mandatory. With the requirement always brings a fee, which keeps getting higher and higher. I know personally of at least ten kids who showed some interst in trapping, but lost all interest when they found out they were required to take a course. I'd be interested to see recruitment numbers in states with a required trappers course to those without.
I used to help teach hunter safety here also. At least 80% of the girls taking the course didn't want to be there. They were there so their Dad/family could get another doe tag.
If those people interested in trapping, hunting, fishing, car building or whatever, really have an interest, they will seek knowledge in that endevor. With todays puters and phones, they can find more written knowledge than we ever had access to, in several minutes, with just a couple of searches. Even a mandatory class requirement of 40 hours is not going to make them a trapper. They will have to experience the cold hands and wet feet, just like we did. The elements will sort them out, just like it has us.

#3892124 - 07/15/13 08:06 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Rally]
varmintshooter Offline
trapper

Loc: NE North Carolina
The NC Trappers Association and the NC Wildlife Resources Commission started a joint trapper education course about 7 years ago. It is administered through the Hunter Education program. We have had hundreds of folks go through this program which is not required to trap here. The average age has been 45 and up. Most of the folks are adults. These folks want to trap and want to do it right. It's hard today to find a trapper close to you and even harder to find a trapper willing to show you what they know. We have some of our state's best trappers teaching what they know from catching to put up. Teaching folks the correct way to trap will only benefit all trappers. Even teaching non trappers about trapping will give them a better understanding of trapping it's benefits and how it is used as a wildlife management tool. The more good, positive, and true information given out the better off trappers will be. If a state requires trapper education or not, a trapper education course will only help new and non trappers along with experienced trappers. If you don't think so them why do so many folks watch the demo's at the conventions. A great manual was made by the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies (AFWA). It's a great manual, it was produced with info from the states and is free to print off of their web site. You can also download the trapping BMP's which gives even more information on furbearers.
All you need is a couple of newbie trappers using the wrong trap, in the wrong place, in the wrong way and you can lose your "Privilege" to trap. Why wouldn't we want to educate folks wanting to trap so they will do it right!
I forgot to mention this course is free and we have NCTA instructors in the 9 different districts across the state. The state hunter education program buys all the materials which are free to all students and the NCTA even cooks lunch for free. What a deal

Edited by varmintshooter (07/15/13 08:16 AM)

#3892159 - 07/15/13 08:38 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: varmintshooter]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Varmitshooter,thanks for a very informative post. North Carolina has done a very good job with providing a very comprehensive,non-mandatory trapping education program for all North Carolina trappers,both the NCWRC and NCTA should be proud and congratulated for their cooperative effort to insure quality trapping education for NC resident trappers. It is too bad that some other states and state trapping organizations are not that committed and actively involved,their resident trappers are at a disadvantage because of it. In my opinion,the most important thing is that we are having a discussion on this very timely,important subject,mandatory or not,trapping education should be priority one for all state trapping organizations and state game and fish associations should be willing,cooperative pardners in these efforts. The thing that got me concerned,once again,on this issue was seeing four brand new Bridger 220's at Cabela's in Gonzales,La. on Saturday,the first real traps that I have ever seen for sale there. I was thinking of the negative trapping incidents that could happen,if those four 220's were set in the wrong place by four different uneducated "trappers". It could very well spell the beginning of the end for all larger bodygrip traps set on land in Louisiana,a privilege that we now enjoy. There are many other reasons,as stated in my original post,but seeing those 220's brought the reality of the possibilities into a very clear moment of enlightenment. I plan on going to Cabela's in the very near future and offer to have a trapping demonstration,before trapping season in an effort to educate the local area trappers and to avoid any negative trapping incidents in my area,any time soon. Good Luck

Edited by N-R Trapper (07/15/13 09:03 AM)

#3892230 - 07/15/13 09:56 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
rick54 Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
I have found that the 220 you see on the shelf is usually touted as being the ideal woodchuck trap. No fuss, no mess type of sales pitch.

#3892248 - 07/15/13 10:19 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Mittashunagi Online   content
trapper

Loc: S central iowa
trappers ed should be mandatory in this day and age of media parasites---one dog or cat caught in the big primitive leghold with bare bones showing(because some bunny hugger set up the props) will be an image the public will carry --the media will sabotage the public image of trapping. this will transform into laws that will take our sport from US. Its always been that way, but a lot of inexperience due dreamers and lazy would be trappers are about to come out of the woodwork--there will be plenty of bad incidences for the media to prey on with fur prices going higher--God help us if coon prices get higher.

point is, MANDATORY training before a license is issued, nationwide!!
-it doesn't have to cost a fortune,and trappers can use training as a positive public image, natiowide.

mandatory for all, because "one bad apple ruins the barrel" , Look at the origins of causes for anti trapping and-states with antitrapping laws on the books--How did it start, what has sustained the antis efforts--heres the reasons plain and simple---lazy morons who set traps where their not supposed to,lazy morons who set traps where their not supposed to, and lazy morons who set traps where their not supposed to--and of course, the #!&%%%$#@**** media. but that's the way it is in this day and age.

It nearly too late now,---ah prognosticate plenty of instances for the antis to use against us in cooperation with the media liars this year, ah say again, morons will come out of the woodwork this year-they aint trappers, they are lazy morons.
--and there's plenty of states with referendums and anti laws on the books this year--for instance to name two,Oregon and New Mexico both, on the verge.
---well, good luck out there anyway

Edited by Mittashunagi (07/15/13 10:22 AM)

#3892250 - 07/15/13 10:21 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: rick54]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: rick54
I have found that the 220 you see on the shelf is usually touted as being the ideal woodchuck trap. No fuss, no mess type of sales pitch.

There are no woodchucks or groundhogs in Louisiana,but there are millions of pet dogs and cats. I do not like those odds and would not gamble the future of trapping in Louisiana against them. And,there was no trapping educated sales person to be found anywhere in Cabela's and there probably never will be. Good Luck

#3892259 - 07/15/13 10:31 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

BTW Nowhere in my manual does it call trapping a "Sport". Some of you graduates obviously are still morons. Is that what they teach you in these classes that only lazy, morons have incidents?

#3892285 - 07/15/13 10:55 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Mittashunagi]
varmintshooter Offline
trapper

The International Hunter Education Association - USA (IHEA) set the requirements for hunter education for all 50 states and about 15 other countries. With the Trapper education manual put out by AFWA all states could use the same trapper education manual and be certified as taking the course. Whether required or not, IHEA at one time was considering developing an International trapping course and this could be their and our chance. Any cost could be covered by the Pittman and Robertson (PR) funds that we as sportsmen already pay into.
The AFWA manual is online and free to print off and change to suit your state. You can also take the course online for free, print off your certificate and then attend a one day hands on course where local trappers could show demos and go over regulations. This could be offered for free to the students and benefit all trappers. An international trapper certification would allow someone to take a course in their state and be able to trap in another state that requires a trapper education course. It could work just like the hunter education program. Take the hunter education course anywhere and it's good anywhere that requires hunter education to hunt. The certification is good for life. A one time deal.

If you are interested or are fixing to gripe about it just take the course, it's free. Take it and see if it ain't a good informative course. Remember just about every state was involved at some level in developing this trapper education manual
Go to: www.TrapperEd.com

#3892295 - 07/15/13 11:04 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
mikehunterman Offline
trapper

Loc: Tennessee
I am for free classes and the people who want to learn will. If you start talking mandatory nationwide clases then you have taken it away from the states to decide and turned it over to some one like US fish and Wildlife or the EPA and they will have no problem running polls to ask if the people want it stopped and you know how that will turn out. This whole idea that seems to be running around that all these thousands of new trappers are coming make no sense. Where are they coming from. The general public is anti trapper and most of the hunters are for one reason or another. You may have an increase on your favorite piece of public land but my guess is it will be old trappers buying more traps and getting into the higher prices. Most people in the counrty do not realize there is a trapping season and if they did they would be upset about it. I have been in jobs all my life that dealt with a lot of people and it seems most are not aware of any of the outside sports. It seems a lot of the people I am dealing with now have never been off of pavement and I am being serious about that. This site may be the best tool out there to teach new people and I hope you find a way to make more people aware of it.

#3892297 - 07/15/13 11:05 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

I think we have a communications problem. Nobody is saying these courses might not teach somebody something. What the people with differing beliefs are saying is making it mandatory is not going to solve your incident problems and they don't want to be forced to take the courses to be allowed the privilege to trap. BTW in much of Alaska hunter education is not required to hunt. I know, appalling isn't it? blush

#3892330 - 07/15/13 11:24 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
rick54 Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Well Louisiana is fortunate in not having woodchucks! As for the millions of cats and dogs, that does present a problem. I know in the county I live in, it is illegal to allow a dog to run loose, that's why we have leash laws. I would expect a dog owner to exhibit some responsibility of ownership themselves. I do try to trap in the farming areas rather than suburbs which lessens my chance for a dog catch. Incident problems will always be a factor in trapping.

In light of all the recent publicity of our government spying on its own citizens, I'm surely not in favor of more government laws and intervention! Since when has the government ever run any program in an efficient manner generating a savings of money for the tax payer?

#3892368 - 07/15/13 11:48 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: rick54]
varmintshooter Offline
trapper

I said nothing about mandatory trapper ed. courses. It's not mandatory in NC. It can BE OFFERED for free and benefit all trappers.

IHEA is a national standard. All states can accept the requirements or not. The IHEA hunter education program is run by each state as they see fit.

The PR funds are administered by the USFWS and your state wildlife agency already receives them to spend for all forms of wildlife management and education.

I don't like the government telling what I can and cannot do but if we don't teach new trappers the proper methods to trap then you will lose your trapping privileges and we will lose trappers for the future.

Here in NC we have had good results and have had fun holding these courses. Teaching our youth and adults how to trap isn't a Gov. conspiracy. Be involved and run the program. Most state agencies have enough to do and any volunteer help is appreciated.
The NC trapper ed. course is a NC Wildlife Resources Commission's hunter education advanced course (advanced courses are hands on) taught by volunteer hunter education instructors who for the most part are NCTA board members. The NCWRC buys our manuals and we teach the course and we both benefit.

#3892385 - 07/15/13 12:06 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

I think I am recognizing a theme here. The ardent defenders of these classes as the way to save trapping have invested time and energy in these Trapper Ed programs and in no way want to accept the possibility that all this effort may be a complete waste of time. These classes may not save trapping and they may not reduce negative incidents substantially or at all. There is no evidence presented here that any of these things have occurred as a result of Mandatory Trapper Ed.

#3892405 - 07/15/13 12:20 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

I think mandatory Trappers Ed. would be good as long as it was offered for free like Hunters Ed. Of course It won't stop stupid people from doing stupid things, but I think it would be good for the public image of trapping.
As far as a huge influx of new trappers goes... I guess it could happen, but this is not the 70's and 80's. I am not sure that the work ethic and desire to spend those hours outdoors in the cold is there. There are a lot easier ways to make a buck, a buck that is worth a lot less now then in the fur boom years.

2014/2015 goals
Bobcat 40
Coyote 40
Grey Fox 25
Red Fox 10
Otter 30
Beaver 10
Skunk 10

#3892425 - 07/15/13 12:33 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Shane this is the real value of mandatory trapper Ed. Public Relations! For example: Two States, one has Mandatory Trapper Ed and one doesn't. Both States have a rash of incidents. The public is demanding action. In the State where they have mandatory trapper ed they just proved this does not prevent incidents. In the State they don't have mandatory trapper ed they can claim that mandatory trapper ed will solve these incident problems and buy themselves a few more years.

#3892546 - 07/15/13 02:12 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Dirt]
David Underwood Offline
trapper

Loc: Peachland NC
Dirt, you might be missing the point. The trapper ed
deal as NC does it is a wonderful thing (in my opinion).
I am personally not in favor of making it mandatory.
I've seen figures from states that did make it mandatory,
and new license sales dropped.
I might not have thought much of it, but I was at a
conference involving wildlife management in several states
some years ago. A speaker mentioned that since hunter ed
started in his state, new license sales had dropped.
Upon being asked about the accident rate in his state he
said there had been no documented change there, nor in any
other state that he knew of. Till yet I have not seen any
numbers on it either way. Sometimes these programs are
a feel good measure. But do not allow for the law of unintended
consequences.

#3892552 - 07/15/13 02:15 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

Loc: Hells 10 1/2 acre, N Carolina
Gotta agree w/ Mr Underwood 100 %

#3892619 - 07/15/13 02:53 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Until,we see some hard numbers in black and white to prove any of these hypothetical suppositions involving reduced trapper numbers due to mandatory trapper education programs or the effect of mandatory hunter education programs,every word that has been said is hearsay and one man's opinion holds just as much water as the next's.And,be sure to include the trapper license sales numbers from the last two seasons,with the higher fur prices,we can all agree that trapper license sales will ebb and flow corresponding to the price of fur. Besides,since when is the success of any outdoors education program measured by the number of license sales,only to the state game and fish agency bean counters,in my experience. To try to negate the value of these outdoor education programs and the quality service that these instructors have given voluntarily and without pay,through the years,is the mark of a very small man and human being,in my opinion,especially when they are in no way involved themselves. Good Luck

Edited by N-R Trapper (07/15/13 03:26 PM)

#3892729 - 07/15/13 04:12 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

In my opinion no one should be issued a licence to trap until they have taken trappers ed and have proven their qualifications both in class and out on the line as well as in the skinning shed.
In Ontario if you let your licence lapse for more than 5 years you must take the course to renew.
It is also illegal for anyone to posess traps longer than 5 years after their licence has lapsed.
We realized the necessity of Mandatory trappers ed over 30 years ago,and last year there were around 700 new trappers trained to trap professionally,a lot of them younger trappers.
I think trapping success has a lot to do with new trappers remaining in the game.Those that try to trap and learn on their own without being taught proper tecniques get discouraged from lack of success and give up,or give up because they dont know the correct way to handle their fur for maximum profit for their effort.
Lack of trappers education likely results in less trappers afield.

#3892892 - 07/15/13 05:50 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
You cant even own a trap after five years?
if they did, this forum would be a gold mine in itself.

#3892977 - 07/15/13 06:33 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Steven 49er]
David Underwood Offline
trapper

Very nearly every one here on these forums got licensed
originally without a program. Sure would be interesting
to see nationwide stats/percentages.
I don't think any said trapper ed isn't a good thing.
The question is "MANDATORY". We may just legislate ourselves
out of existence. Getting some kind of figures on how well a
program works from any state agency is hard to do.
Show me the numbers and I'll be your cheerleader.

#3893013 - 07/15/13 06:46 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: David Underwood]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Here in WI we have not seen a drop off in license sales due to mandatory Trapper Ed. Last year over 1700 new trappers were trained in our program. In WI if the student passes the class they get a free trapping licensed for the coming season, so the cost washes out for the students.
What we have not seen however is a sizable growth in the WTA membership with the over 15,000 graduates in just the last 15 years. We give them 1-year free membership and 4 WTA magazines for a year and hope they renew. If they don't they have had exposure to the WTA and the WTA certified instructors.
There are a lot of things in life that are mandatory and some much less potentially damaging than setting traps.
Voluntary sounds good and does reflect those that don't want freedoms taken away but exposing all to training to me has merits that outway the loss of the freedoms. After all it is my rights that may be lost by others as well.

Bryce

#3893119 - 07/15/13 07:58 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Boco]
GregB Offline
trapper

Loc: North Idaho

Lack of trappers education likely results in less trappers afield.

I am probably going to catch a lot of flack for this, but is less trappers really a bad thing? After last season,
and some of the things I saw going on in the field, I am not sure what to think anymore. I would be my hope that a
a trapper ed course would educate those who have the drive and motivation to trap ethically and efficently. Even if the course
was mandatory I do not think your going to see a decrease in trapping related incidents or better trappers for that matter. Take a
look at hunter ed courses. Has mandatory hunters ed decreased poaching or hunting related accidents? I see guys every year with gun barrels hanging out the window, beer cans flying, and hunter ed ball caps...

#3893559 - 07/16/13 01:00 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Rally Offline
trapper

Loc: Hill City,Mn.
Boco,
Regulations like your last post, is what I fear, will keep the youth from ever pursuing trapping.The more regulated the activity the less recruitment. I've seen it in my own state and heard it in the voices of both young and adult first timers inquiring about equipment at my table.

#3893575 - 07/16/13 01:53 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Are you sure Rally? It doesnt hamper new trappers here,looking at the yearly recruitment and the widespread availability of instructors.
I think it might weed out those who are not serious.
A young person here interested in acquiring a trapline is not going to be deterred by taking a trapping course,quite the contrary they are chomping at the bit to gain the knowledge,acquire the manual and skin and set traps.
Definitely dont want to see the modern traps in the hands of untrained public.Too dangerous for the future of trapping,and you can look to states with trap bans to see the outcome.

Edited by Boco (07/16/13 01:59 AM)

#3893725 - 07/16/13 08:08 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
stan meyers Offline
trapper

Loc: Powell TN
I oppose any mandatory trapper education, we still have auto accidents,hunting accidents etc. I firmly support trappers education and actively participate in it.But do not want more govt intrusion.

#3893729 - 07/16/13 08:17 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Bogmaster]
76chevy Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Yes, my BA in Biology helps on the trapline

Did not get it with trapping in mind, but it sure has helped.

Originally Posted By: Bogmaster
Part of the education is to learn the biology of the animals you are trapping. The more you know about an animal--the better trapper you will be.
Tom

#3893730 - 07/16/13 08:18 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: stan meyers]
76chevy Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
I agree.

trappers should educate out own, we don't need government or our state DNR agencies to get involved.

Originally Posted By: stan meyers
I oppose any mandatory trapper education, we still have auto accidents,hunting accidents etc. I firmly support trappers education and actively participate in it.But do not want more govt intrusion.

#3893890 - 07/16/13 10:19 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Boco]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Are you sure Rally? It doesnt hamper new trappers here,looking at the yearly recruitment and the widespread availability of instructors.
A young person here interested in acquiring a trapline is not going to be deterred by taking a trapping course,quite the contrary they are chomping at the bit to gain the knowledge,acquire the manual and skin and set traps.
Definitely dont want to see the modern traps in the hands of untrained public.Too dangerous for the future of trapping,and you can look to states with trap bans to see the outcome.

So you figure if trapping would have been highly regulated like in Ontario all those voters in Denver,Boston, Seattle, Phoenix, LA, and San Francisco, etc would not have voted for trap bans when the antis put pictures on T.V. of already illegal traps with teeth and injured pets and animals probably not caught in those States?

Oops! Sometimes I forget the answer to trap bans in Canada was for you guys to ban your own traps. crazy

Edited by Dirt (07/16/13 10:30 AM)

#3893919 - 07/16/13 10:40 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Dirt]
coonwild Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
Originally Posted By: Dirt

So you figure if trapping would have been highly regulated like in Ontario all those voters in Denver,Boston, Seattle, Phoenix, LA, and San Francisco, etc would not have voted for trap bans when the antis put pictures on T.V. of already illegal traps with teeth and injured pets and animals probably not caught in those States?

Oops! Sometimes I forget the answer to trap bans in Canada was for you guys to ban your own traps. crazy

Dirt if we had done nothing I'm sure your letter of understanding with the E.U. Would have been much harder to achieve and with the fact that after your BMP program not much has happened reguarding the implementation of any changes , I'm sure they will be after you again in the future.

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Matt Duncan

#3893948 - 07/16/13 11:02 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Some day we may have to follow Canada's path, but currently 25 years later we still have the same tools. IMO Canada caved when they didn't have to. frown

#3893982 - 07/16/13 11:26 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

What I find ironic about this whole subject is that if someone was to post "We need mandatory fire arms training before anyone can own a gun to save the rights of fire arm owners." Most on here would oppose this. Why is it people understand being hardline when it comes to gun rights, but not so much when it comes to trapping?

#3893987 - 07/16/13 11:32 AM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Nothing hard line about trappers ed. It is the only way to keep what we have.
It is the uneducated--and stupid,that have caused us the losses we have occurred in the past.
79 and the early 80s should be a lesson for all.
Tom

#3894027 - 07/16/13 12:02 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Bogmaster]
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, Michigan
Michigan is starting to work itself into Mandatory Trappers Ed.

Classes are out there now, but not mandatory, supposedly it is coming.

It can't happen soon enough in my opinion.

Make it like Hunter Safety, charge the folks $10 for supplies and lunch, give them the basics on trapping laws, ETHICS and simple animal info and methods.

Erik Johnson

#3894030 - 07/16/13 12:05 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

In Alaska we have no Trappers Ed. We have stupid uneducated people. We have Antis. We have ballet initiatives. We have lost nothing. We actually have made gains. We do not compromise. Compromise is a losing position.

#3894061 - 07/16/13 12:24 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Dirt you seem to be a bit misinformed.I have lost no traps that I used before the Agreement was signed,however I now have much better traps and many more to choose from.Here in Ontario we had already moved on from the old inefficient style of trapping long before any agreement was signed and it was the Trappers themselves that started the process of improving the old traps,long before the europeans got involved.
Trappers in South had lost footholds for raccoon before any agreemnt was signed,but now have a better foothold in the DP's.
We can still use footholds for fox, wolf, lynx ,mink, beaver, and otter.As well as snares in the north.
You have lost nothing but have you moved forward,or are you stuck in the past?

Edited by Boco (07/16/13 12:25 PM)

#3894078 - 07/16/13 12:32 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

You can consider yourself lucky .You live in a state with few people and vast areas of wilderness.
Live in a state with several million people,trap in areas where you are observed by dozens or even hundereds of ---non--trappers each day.
It is one thing to have them observe those who know how to do things correctly--it is always a plus to know how to handle things when you are confronted by the opposition.
With this in mind--take your uneducated and poorly informed (trapper) being observed and confronted by these same people.See what good comes out of this.
Dirt--you are lucky if you haven't lost anything yet--most of us in the lower 48 have.
And with your attitude--you can be sure your time will soon be at hand.
Good luck--
Tom

#3894126 - 07/16/13 01:00 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

"By mid-1997, the EU, Canada and Russia had arrived at a definition of "humane" traps as meaning those which do not produce any of a list of 16 injuries and reactions, or which kill an animal in under 300 seconds. This definition is subject to review, and requires signatories (including the EU) to ban all traps after eight years that do not meet this standard for 19 species. Canada and the US have already committed substantial money and research to meet the testing schedule, and are awaiting a comparable show of commitment from the EU. Based on existing test results, Canada will prohibit on an accelerated basis the use of certain jaw-type leghold traps for the species found in its territory. The Agreement was signed in December 1997. For legal reasons, the US signed an almost identical agreement later."

#3894139 - 07/16/13 01:04 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Minnesota

"Minnesota does not have the initiative or referendum process, although there have been three statewide votes to establish the process, in 1914, 1916, and 1980. In each case, the adoption received more votes in favor than against, but the favorably voted did not satisfy the supermajority requirement. Since 1898, to be ratified a constitutional amendment must receive not only a majority of the votes cast on the measure, but also a majority of all ballot cast in the election (which effectively counts abstentions are no votes.)"

The sky is not falling.

#3894157 - 07/16/13 01:11 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

No ballot initiative to towns and cities that want--and have banned trapping.
It is happening all the time.
Again consider yourself lucky--your time will come .Sad to say.
Tom

#3894203 - 07/16/13 01:36 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: N-R Trapper
With the current rise in fur prices,the obvious increase in new trappers' numbers and competition this coming season,the reluctance of experienced trappers to share information with the new wave of "competition",the recent push by animal rights groups to limit or ban trapping in many states,the amount of uninformed questions that have been asked on this forum recently by these new trappers,especially about confusing state trapping regulations and the very probable increase in the number of negative trapping incidents,that are sure to follow this season,who among you does not think that the time has come for mandatory trapping education,similar to the successful state hunter education programs,in states that do not have them,now? All of you,who have opposed it in the past,do you think it is now necessary and if not,how much more will it take to convince you? And,in states with little or no trapper education programs of any significance,do you think it is time to make state supported mandatory trapper education the number one priority of your state trapping organization? Has this reached critical mass and is it fixing to explode in our faces or am I just experiencing a "Chicken Little,the sky is falling!" moment? What is your opinion on this issue,at this time? Thanks and Good Luck.

Somebody wanted my opinion. No it is not time in Alaska and probably a lot of other States. Minnesota maybe!

#3894213 - 07/16/13 01:40 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Dirt]
David Underwood Offline
trapper

Aint it funny when someone asks for opinions, and
when they get them, they get mad? Thats why things
like this will not be settled civilly. We will still
be argueing about it when the last state outlaws the
last trap.

#3894231 - 07/16/13 01:47 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: David Underwood]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

Originally Posted By: David Underwood
last trap.

lol Dave.......just like Religion, Politics, and Red Headed Women smile

#3894250 - 07/16/13 02:01 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Minnesota has had mandatory trappers ed for several years--as has
Wisconsin.
Good luck to those states that don't and to those that think they don't need it.
Lets hope there is no dominoes affect and when you lose something the rest of us go down with you.
Just my opininion and you know what they say about those.And we have plenty of both.
Tom

#3894263 - 07/16/13 02:07 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

New York State has it also.......I have believed for a long time that if a ballet iniative was to come to the state of NC, where the public decided the fate of trapping, we would lose big time !

I also don't believe mandatory trappers ed would have any influence on voters down here, its different up in Yankeeland where there are 1000's of trappers per state, heck we aint got 500 in this state

( correct me if Im wrong David)

#3894269 - 07/16/13 02:11 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Mandatory trappers ed was never meant as an appeasement to anyone.It was brought about to better educate those that were going to trap--better educated--less chance of doing something negative that would have a derogatory affect on the rest of the trapping world.
Tom

#3894271 - 07/16/13 02:13 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Bogmaster]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

Mandatory trappers ed was never meant as an appeasement to anyone.It was brought about to better educate those that were going to trap--better educated--less chance of doing something negative that would have a derogatory affect on the rest of the trapping world.
Tom

That's whats wrong w/ me.......I have never been to a Trappers Ed class smile

#3894273 - 07/16/13 02:14 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

And Boggy.........my Grandpa taught me what to do and what not to do, it was called "common sense" back then smile

#3894281 - 07/16/13 02:20 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

Buzz,now days most grandpas or dads for that matter --don't trap.
And you know what happened to common sense.
I get calls all the time on how to trap something,or if this or that will work.
Tom

#3894288 - 07/16/13 02:23 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

Thanks for the reminder .....gotta check Maines regulations out, I hope they don't require mandatory trappers ed for old fart non residents

#3894290 - 07/16/13 02:25 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

LOL Buzz those classes can be a lot of fun. The teaching part sure is.
Tom

#3894296 - 07/16/13 02:27 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Bogmaster]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

Tom

I shoulda went years ago here, dad gum game warden buddy of mine come over for trap donations for the new classes, he asked me to attend but I just laughed it off......

#3894298 - 07/16/13 02:32 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Bogmaster]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Dirt
In Alaska We have ballet initiatives. .

Originally Posted By: Buzzard
New York State has it also.......I have believed for a long time that if a ballet was to come to the state of NC, !
)

Tom

What is with you fruitcakes wanting or claiming to want Ballet?? and then bogmaster saying how fun it is...

You three going to be on dancing with the Stars? or the new show, brokeback mountain men?

here ya go

http://www.balletinitiative.org/

#3894304 - 07/16/13 02:33 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Buzzard]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
Originally Posted By: Buzzard
Thanks for the reminder .....gotta check Maines regulations out, I hope they don't require mandatory trappers ed for old fart non residents

I think your ok, as long as you have bought a licence in your lifetime.

I took a hunters coarse years ago to go to Colorado hunting and it also involved a trapping coarse. both seemed elementary in substance. now later on here we had to take a coarse on cable restraints and it was done by trappers instead of the game commission and it was very informative.

#3894307 - 07/16/13 02:34 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
Bogmaster Offline

The last few years,I have seen a lot of dads and more and more moms taking the courses too--because the kids had to take the class.
So you end up passing things on ,to more than one generation at a time.
Tom

#3894310 - 07/16/13 02:35 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: hippie]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hippie

I took a hunters coarse years ago to go to Colorado hunting and it also involved a trapping coarse. both seemed elementary in substance. now later on here we had to take a coarse on cable restraints and it was done by trappers instead of the game commission and it was very informative.

Those sound Rough...... bwwaaa ha ha ha lmao

#3894311 - 07/16/13 02:36 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: N-R Trapper]
hippie Offline
trapper

yep Tom, I was the old-fart in the class. it was a good experience tho.

#3894317 - 07/16/13 02:38 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Hupurest]
hippie Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
Originally Posted By: hippie

Those sound Rough...... bwwaaa ha ha ha lmao

yea. they were ruff, of course. wink

#3894327 - 07/16/13 02:45 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Bogmaster]
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, Michigan
Buzz,now days most grandpas or dads for that matter --don't trap.
And you know what happened to common sense.

Exactly.

I know grown men who set coon traps and tie them off with binder twine or set the largest footholds they can 10' off a well used trail on public land "because they can". Morons.

Here in MI you can't steer a boat (legally) if your under 16 unless you take "Boater Safety", but you can set 220s and #5 footholds 5' from a playground if you wanted with no training to explain why not to.

Erik Johnson

#3894379 - 07/16/13 03:17 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: David Underwood]
Dirt Offline
trapper

last trap.

And that last State will be Alaska. smile

#3894385 - 07/16/13 03:20 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: Dirt]
David Underwood Offline
trapper

Probly so dirt.
But Alaska will not be a state by then.

#3894403 - 07/16/13 03:35 PM Re: Critical Mass on Mandatory Trapping Education [Re: David Underwood]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Probly so dirt.
But Alaska will not be a state by then.

I know it will be a Country. smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >