No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3873727 - 07/03/13 11:15 AM wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers?
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
They aired an episode a couple of weeks ago about a Newhouse bear trap...if not I can post pics, and see what you think of what they bought it for and asked for it, etc...

#3873734 - 07/03/13 11:19 AM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
wissmiss Online   content

Loc: north Idaho
I didn't see the episode but I heard about it.

I don't watch that show cause I cant stand the way they pass over so much good stuff. They go into a place where everything is for sale and they leave with 3 items. It's a good thing they are being paid by the show cause they would never make a living on the few items they buy.

Edited by wissmiss (07/03/13 11:22 AM)
Edit Reason: Add more info.

#3873760 - 07/03/13 11:31 AM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
They contacted me about the value of a bear trap for an upcoming episode. I sent them to Tom Parr for an estimate. It made me wonder how much of the show is scripte, or if they just needed the value for when they estimate how much its worth after buying it.

#3873768 - 07/03/13 11:36 AM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: Paul Dobbins]
DanN Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Pretty sure a Newhouse #6 with raised letters on the pan aint worth $5000 ? But I could be wrong ?

#3873781 - 07/03/13 11:44 AM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Ha, I bet it is 95% staged, like all of "reality" TV...ok, gonna upload pics, just a few mins..

#3873787 - 07/03/13 11:46 AM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
Hodagtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Absolutely right on all posts above IMO!

>>In God we trust<<

#3873800 - 07/03/13 11:53 AM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Bunch of screenshots...some might be sort of duplicates, but I am too lazy to sort through them, lol. ou can click on them to zoom in...

#3873803 - 07/03/13 11:53 AM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
It's all a set up the things are placed before they even get there.

#3873830 - 07/03/13 12:07 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: The Beav]
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper

Loc: central ohio
Originally Posted By: The Beav
It's all a set up the things are placed before they even get there.

A guy called into a radio talk show in Columbus kinda let's us all in on the deal. They priced his stuff before they came.

#3873836 - 07/03/13 12:10 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
thekid Offline
trapper

Loc: Ford City, PA
What they buy is all set up, they came to my town (Ford City) with the Mantini brothers

#3873845 - 07/03/13 12:15 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
elkaholic Offline
trapper

Loc: PA

They don't show you all the $5 and $10 items they buy. They have specific items they are looking for and those are what you see on the show.

#3873969 - 07/03/13 01:31 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: elkaholic]
DanN Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
So, what is the value of that trap ?

#3873978 - 07/03/13 01:40 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: thekid]
Trapper7 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: thekid
What they buy is all set up, they came to my town (Ford City) with the Mantini brothers

You are correct. Dave Hester was fired from the show, Storage Wars because he blew the whistle on that show. He said he didn't feel he could be so dishonest with the public. For those who aren't familar with the show, buyers bid on merchandise in vacated storage lockers. Of course, there is drama in colorful characters and the items they find in the lockers.

Hester went public and said a lot of the merchandise found was planted by the show's producers to make the show more "interesting". He was fired as a result. I'm sure the same applies to American Pickers.

#3873990 - 07/03/13 01:54 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Trapper7, I read about that, yuuuuuuuuuup!

It always made no sense to me, WHY in the world would people lose such valuables...why not sell some and pay the rent, etc.

He was also angry that after filming, they were required to give the merchandise back to the producers who had planted the items.

AND the network apparantly paid for Brandi's chest...um..."enhancement". LOL...

Jarod is an ex-meth dealer, by the way.

#3874028 - 07/03/13 02:14 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
It is an OC with teeth, one of the more valuable Newhouse bear traps but not sure as to present value.

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#3874050 - 07/03/13 02:26 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: SnareLine
Trapper7, I read about that, yuuuuuuuuuup!

It always made no sense to me, WHY in the world would people lose such valuables...why not sell some and pay the rent, etc.

When i was younger an in college I worked at a U-haul that had storage units. calling people to pay their bill every month was a task begun on the 6th.... and by the next month, we would put one of our locks on it.
after I think it was 3 months, we would cut their lock off and put one of them super locks on there.
Then someone would come out from the main office and inventory the units, and if there was anything valuable, hold an auction.
most the time it was pee stained or cat pee torn up furniture, just plain old worthless junk. But other times there was stuff in there that one could not beleive. New household furniture, lawnmowers, snow blowers, washers, dryers, motorcycle once and what not.
I was surprised as to why someone would have their locker auctioned off for $100, for thousands of $ in stuff in it.

some of the things could be death, moving, jail, sickness.... IDK... one lady called us up and said she moved to vegas, forgot to get her stuff. sent us a letter said we could go through it, keep what we want. She even called up from vegas and had us lunch delivered for cleaning it out for her.
That unit was interesting....she went to vegas to further her "dancing" career.... she had left some tools of the trade in there, along with apparently some training videos of her early work...

#3874055 - 07/03/13 02:28 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Hup: Link for some of those videos, please....!

lol

#3874058 - 07/03/13 02:29 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Oh, and on the show, there is thousands of dollars worth of stuff in almost every locker, lol.

AND, they cut off the lock for the very first time right then & there...

SURE!!

#3874061 - 07/03/13 02:32 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
If I remember right it had Rome stamped on on of the springs.
if they did, this forum would be a gold mine in itself.

#3874129 - 07/03/13 03:07 PM Re: wissmiss did you see the trap on American Pickers? [Re: SnareLine]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Anyone ever been to the American Pickers' shop in Iowa? I went there last year. Not much in there. An empty garage. If they are buying all this stuff, where are they putting it?

The guys weren't there, but one of the girls working there said Mike spends all his time down in Nashville, now, while Frank spends his time in Iowa.

Danielle has a retro clothing store across the street. Lots of cool old clothes like the flappers wore in the 20's. I talked to her mom, who was running the store. Danielle is only in there once or twice a week.

To be honest, I think the whole thing is staged. It might have started out like the show looks, and it probably did, but now it is just for a tv show.