No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3851995 - 06/19/13 06:49 PM ??? Horizontal skinning machine
jasonpredhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: VA
I'm getting ready to convert one of our old milking parlors into my fur shed for this upcoming season. It's about 40x20, concrete floor and 8' ceilings. I'm wanting to make a skinning machine but don't have the vertical space for one so I think I'm gonna build a table and make a horizontal skinning machine. My question is, what is the minimum length my table needs to be for coyotes? I don't skin many, but want to be able to if I choose. Mostly it will just be coons, fox, cats, etc. Also, if you have any suggestions, diagrams, pics, pro's/con's of horizontal skinning, etc., it would be greatly appreciated. I've got plenty of scrap lumber, mostly 12' stuff, so I can build the table relatively cheap if I use that. Thanks!

#3852010 - 06/19/13 06:57 PM Re: ??? Horizontal skinning machine [Re: jasonpredhunter]
bblair Offline
trapper

Loc: Chaster AR.

#3852043 - 06/19/13 07:14 PM Re: ??? Horizontal skinning machine [Re: jasonpredhunter]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
You will love It. I prefer mine to a vertical one.
Build a simple bench about 10' long. Mount your winch on one end and on the other end mount a piece of angle iron with a slot cut In It.
Open your coon hook up the hind legs with one single slip noose. Place the slip noose around both feet pull tight and then slip the fixed noose over the winch hook. To hook up the fur end you will need a slip noose with a large large washer placed on the tag end. Then you place the slip noose around the flank fur tighten this up and then place the washer In the slot In the angle iron. And get to pulling.
I wish I had mine set up so I could show you some pics. I don't even use my vertical skinner anymore.

Mine Is a bit different then the bench model but the bench Is a bit easier to build. But It works on the same principal.

#3852052 - 06/19/13 07:22 PM Re: ??? Horizontal skinning machine [Re: jasonpredhunter]
~ADC~ Offline
trapper

Loc: SE-Central Iowa
I've made a few horizontal designs. (basically my standard base turned sideways with a modified lower unit to mount to the bench or the wall on the end.) I'd go 12', even though 10' would do almost any of them coyotes, since you have the 12' boards, may as well. Extra length won't hurt a thing. wink

~ADC~

#3852177 - 06/19/13 08:26 PM Re: ??? Horizontal skinning machine [Re: jasonpredhunter]
jasonpredhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: VA
Thank ya'll and to those who PM'd. Gave me some really good ideas!

#3852234 - 06/19/13 08:53 PM Re: ??? Horizontal skinning machine [Re: jasonpredhunter]
BandB Offline
trapper

Loc: alabama
I made one to use this year, and it made a big difference. Especially on coyotes. The bench is just a little over 10' long and 20" wide, but I don't get to use the whole 10' because I had to have a place to mount the winch and clamps. Really saves on the hands. One word of caution. You can rip a coyote with it. I found that if you don't watch the belly fur, it will hang-up on the rib cage. I don't know if this is just a peculiarity of a horizontal bench, or if it happens on a vertical also. Just watch it until you get them going inside out good and you should be good to go. I wish I could have made it 12' long for the coyotes, but I just have to move the cable from around the feet to up around the knees once to squeeze out that little bit of extra length.

#3852255 - 06/19/13 09:07 PM Re: ??? Horizontal skinning machine [Re: jasonpredhunter]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
It's the same situation with the vertical skinner. You need to work slow untill you get the skin past the start of the rib cage.