No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3835638 - 06/07/13 10:44 PM What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why?
Primecoon Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Nebraska
Stir the pot. .

Looking to buy some DP's and currently trading for some. Just curious what people think the best are and why.
Coyotes. 8/10
Beaver. . .1/5
Grinners 18/0
Stinkers. 0/0

#3835673 - 06/07/13 11:11 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
Primecoon Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Nebraska
No oppinions on a good dog proof?
Coyotes. 8/10
Beaver. . .1/5
Grinners 18/0
Stinkers. 0/0

#3835680 - 06/07/13 11:15 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
There pretty much the same. Some have push pull triggers some just have a pull type trigger. But It boils down to this the coon puts It's foot In the trap and Is caught.

#3835728 - 06/08/13 12:11 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
FEEB Offline
trapper

Loc: Kittanning, Pa
I'll bite.
Any of the grizz style dp's will catch coon. They all have pros and cons. I have seen no difference in push\pull or pull only trigger styles regarding catch rate. Use good bait and good scents and coon will work it until they get caught. The ring style trigger will let you use more diverse baits and not have cleanouts. Also if your setting at home like you should the push/pull will fire off more in the back of the truck. Yes there is a way to put them on "safety" that's more monkeying around on location.
Advantage: Bridger
As far as spring strength some have stronger springs than others. It doesn't matter on new traps. Over the course of time springs will need replaced on every model. So stronger springs in the beginning should buy you some time.
Advantage: Sterling Grizz
Stabilizers in unfrozen ground don't mean squat. I kill a bunch of coon every year with traps leaned against an object not in the ground at all when its froze. No I don't see more clean outs doing this. If its gonna freeze, I mean hard. The dagger and grizz stabilizers will cause BAD issues. If a 250Lb man has trouble getting it out of the ground a coon will hurt itself. Simple is good. Extravagant is marketing.
Advantage: Duke
Swiveling action is fair on all. Simple is the key here again.
Advantage: Sterling grizz
Price between top of the line and bottom of the barrel is 1 or 2 coon at current price levels on a dozen traps. Nonfactor.
Advantage: Its a wash.
The coating on the Z's is nice its gone on the springs and restraint bar after 1 or 2 coon. Nonfactor in my opinion.
Over all if your gonna be in non freezing weather the grizz is the way to go.
In freezing weather T3 Bridger is the way to go.
I mostly use Dukes and have no complaints.
Kinda like Blonde, Brunette or Redhead. I prefer Redheads but a blonde will do in a pinch.

#3835769 - 06/08/13 01:11 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
Teacher Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester, MN
Yesterday I saw the new Bridger dogproof brought out by MTP. The spring strength isn't nearly as heavy as any of the other similar DPs and I suspect the others are over-powered a bit, so as the springs weaken, its not going to be as big an issue.

No matter what you use, you'll need to figure out a way to set them above ground when the ground starts freezing because as FEEB suggests, its going to be a bugger for a coon to pull a froze in trap out of the ground.

#3835797 - 06/08/13 03:58 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
Kentuckyguy Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
I have noticed on the z traps i bought that the spring and dog are riveted in . I figure this could cause problems changing the springs later on.

#3835800 - 06/08/13 04:06 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
FEEB Offline
trapper

Loc: Kittanning, Pa
That is my only issue with DP's in general. Ease of changing springs. Don't know the answer to that one. I am certain someone smarter than I will come up with a good way of doing it.

#3835814 - 06/08/13 05:37 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
Bluesman Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central PA
For me I like the Alcatraz DP the best.So much easier to set as I have to use a setter on any type of trap.Everytime a topic comes up about DP's I seldom see the Alcatraz mentioned.Don't know if not many use them or folks know something I don't.I like them better than any DP I have tried.
What I do with the stabalizer bar when freezing in time starts here I just use a hatchet to make a slice in the ground and wiggle the trap around in the slice to make it bigger.Once it freezes the trap will still pull up when a coon gets caught.Don't always work but most of the time it does.
Here in PA I have to close down the opening of the Alcatraz about an 1/8th of an inch due to a stupid law about the opening but that is not a big problem to close.You can set a #3 Coilspring and a Alcatraz Dp with 2-1/8th opening side by side yet the Alcatraz DP is illegal by 1/8th inch.Just ain't figured that one out yet.
I think a coon works the Alcatraz more because of the bigger rectangle opening.They can see in the trap much better so I think they work it more.Just my thoughts on the DP's.All will catch coon and all have things I don't like but the Alcatraz is my favorite.

#3835850 - 06/08/13 06:40 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
tmrschessie Online   content

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
I have used most of them and all work. The Z trap with the powder coating and good swiveling set up works great for me. I still have some of the other brands if your wanting them let me know. Tom

#3836071 - 06/08/13 10:49 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
coonman220 Offline
trapper

Loc: n.e, iowa
like was posted earlier a lot off coon walk past dps. i agree, catch half a dz. every year in 5 duke dps got in last 2 seasons early,had few bandit busters when first tried,not a good trap.traded stretchers for 6 yancys awhile back,anyone use them?

#3836081 - 06/08/13 10:56 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
The Beav Offline
trapper

I'm told that IF and That Is a big If that If BMPs are ever enforced the Alcatraz DP will not be excepted do to the way the foot Is held that would probably be true of Yancys DP also. NOt saying this will ever happen but this Is what I was told.

#3836111 - 06/08/13 11:30 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
410shooter Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Dukes never had a sprung empty trap.

#3836140 - 06/08/13 11:56 AM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: 410shooter]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks 67yrs young
Originally Posted By: 410shooter
Dukes never had a sprung empty trap.

You should never say never when talking trapping as it will eventually make a liar out of you!

#3836185 - 06/08/13 01:01 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Lee you burn any rod last week? LOL

#3836232 - 06/08/13 01:37 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
Archer156 Offline
trapper

Loc: Vernon, Texas
I use Duke DP traps and they work great! I put a 1 inch piece of Blue rubber tubing on the drigger and set it with a hair drigger.Bait it with whatever I have from Marshmallows early in the season to mackerel and tuna later in the year when they are looking for love more than food! They walk by a lot in the late season without checking traps but if you have a fishy smell in there nose they have a hard time turning it down! Lures help in the time also and urine from other coon squirted around also help me in my catches! As far as freezing we don't get a lot of freezing but when we do I put the trap in the ground pull it out put some salt down the hole and put it back in and that helps some! Coons are the toughest animals out there in IMO and will pull a trap out or pull out and yes this has happened to me before with my Duke's but if you can Cable stake the traps in the open were they can't get a hold of something to pull on they will not get out if they are caught by the ankle right! So what I'm saying is if the trap works for you then us it and it don't matter what brand it is!

#3836243 - 06/08/13 01:50 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
BRONZEBACK Offline
trapper

Loc: CONNEAUT LAKE, PENNSYLVANIA
I use Duke because that's what I have and they work just fine...Other than that...I'm not biting...Topic has been beat to death.

#3837585 - 06/09/13 03:25 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: The Beav]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks 67yrs young
Originally Posted By: The Beav
Lee you burn any rod last week? LOL

Gary, thats all I've been doing! Probably won't make the nats this year, was planning to get to Wisconsin, but now that's doughtful!

#3837631 - 06/09/13 03:53 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
jptrappin Offline
trapper

Loc: ryan okla
don't mean to high jack the post but why doesn't any body talk about the coon daggers. does nobody use them or whats the deal

#3837650 - 06/09/13 04:07 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: jptrappin]
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: jptrappin
don't mean to high jack the post but why doesn't any body talk about the coon daggers. does nobody use them or whats the deal

No...no one uses them confused lol

#3837659 - 06/09/13 04:17 PM Re: What is the best DP coon trap . . . And why? [Re: Primecoon]
jptrappin Offline
trapper

Loc: ryan okla
yeah guess I should have just ask you lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >