Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3800765 - 05/14/13 09:10 PM Montgomery Dogless Traps
nmhornet Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
Have some old low lever mont's #2's and 3'3 and was wondering if it is worth the hassle to 4 coil these traps? I have been told that it increases the holding power, which results in fewer pullouts??? I have also heard that it doesn't make it dirrerence on low lever traps due to their design???? Before I go through the expense and hassle of 4 coiling I would like to hear from the trappers who use them first

#3800878 - 05/14/13 10:10 PM Re: Montgomery Dogless Traps [Re: nmhornet]
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper

Loc: Oakes, ND
One pair of springs is plenty if they are high levers. Might just get new levers. I know on some low levers I had, I had about 30% pull outs with 30" of chain with coyotes. With high levers set up the same way, I cannot recall a single pullout.

#3800916 - 05/14/13 10:31 PM Re: Montgomery Dogless Traps [Re: nmhornet]
Jason Dufresne Offline
trapper

Loc: East Central, Minnesota
Get some new Bridger levers. You need to cut the frame to remove the jaws, just baseplate over and weld the corners back up.

#3801101 - 05/15/13 07:36 AM Re: Montgomery Dogless Traps [Re: nmhornet]
bobCATching Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
A good friend just sent me one of his old monty's he modified just like Jason said to do in his post above. It is a totally different, good looking, top-of-the line-trap when modified as described.
I had a few low lever montgomerys and was so disappointed in their holding power, I 4-coiled them and "opened" the stock levers so they rose higher on the jaws. (Not as high as the bridgers levers come up) I did this by taking a drill and a small bit and drilling the old levers upward in a series of holes touching and using the bit, wobbled it up and down, creating a cut, extending the opening farther up. Then using channel lock pliers I opened the drilled out area by bending the cut area open, allowing the levers to rise higher on the jaws. They weren't real pretty but they worked good.
I used them in areas I thought had a good chance for theft. But, never had one of the "old uglies" taken. smile

#3801644 - 05/15/13 05:19 PM Re: Montgomery Dogless Traps [Re: nmhornet]
cyacoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: paola,ks
i use a lot of the old low lever monty #2s and #3s...
i run 15" chains, which helps slow down the lunges,
but the biggest thing i did was put on #3 music wire
springs... it also increased the pan tension, which
make sure the foot is all the way in the trap when it
springs. higher catch, shorter chain... good combo!

this year i ordered conner shock springs to put in-line
also... this should also help them hold on better.
but without the springs i have not had any problems
with pull outs.

#3801905 - 05/15/13 08:48 PM Re: Montgomery Dogless Traps [Re: nmhornet]
nmhornet Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
Looks like I will be ordering some #3 springs instead of #2's.... Thanks!

#3802229 - 05/16/13 07:28 AM Re: Montgomery Dogless Traps [Re: nmhornet]
ttzt Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
Don't mean to high jack the thread, but does anyone know of a source for jaws for the #2 Montgomery dog on trap? Is there another brand of jaw that fits them?

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie