Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3783913 - 04/30/13 08:52 AM Victor #2 Square Jaw
coyotedoc3 Offline
trapper

Loc: South Dakota
I recently acquired a dozen Victor No. 2 Square Jaw traps for a decent price (i dont' think they have ever been put in the ground), but after reading some of the archives on these traps, now i am not so sure. From all the info i have gathered, they have a couple problems....light frame and low levers. To the eye, they look very similar to the Bridger No. 2's.....which many claim are good coyote/fox traps. My questions is....if a person modifys them, will they make a decent coyote/fox (occasional coon) trap? I am thinking base plate/center swivel for sure, and probably laminating them. Some have recommended replacing the jaws w/ new 1.75 jaws...is that necessary? If that is the case....do the levers need replaced as well. Another option is to 4-coil them. If that is best, what is the best spring for that? F&T has a 4-coil beefer kit (#8), or the JC conner Taos lightning kit (#5)....which would work better. It looks like the JC Connor kit comes w/ a new spring pin....are the existing spirngs also used to make them 4 coil?

Basically, if they were yours...what would you do to make a decent fox/coyote trap?

Any help would be appreciated.

#3783922 - 04/30/13 08:56 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
Okiecntry Offline
trapper

Loc: East OK & West AR
Sell or trade them to someone one that wants them for mink and muskrat. You can sink a lot money into them (done it myself)and still have a marginal trap coyote trap IMO.
Coon 20, Possum 20
Skunk 2,

#3783923 - 04/30/13 08:56 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
WKnight Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Use them for mink as is. laugh

#3783938 - 04/30/13 09:08 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
N-R Trapper Online   content
trapper

I would use them as is for mink,muskrat and coon,on a drowner where possible and get me some better predator traps with the extra money you will spend trying to modify the Victor #2's. Buy the newer #2 Bridgers with the stock baseplates,if that is what you truly want,you will not regret it. Good luck.

#3783957 - 04/30/13 09:29 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
I had some old ones that I used for fox in the '70's.I decided to overhaul them to use for coyotes and cats and really just wanted to keep them in service-they had a lot of history.I base plated,center swiveled,new jaws,levers,swivels and 4 coiled.They work really well and will hold anything I need held and truly,I wasn't worried about cost,just felt like taking on the project,but it isn't worth it,in material cost alone.What I spent on parts would have come close to buying a dozen new coyote traps.That is before factoring in labor.I enjoy setting them and have a lot of confidence in them but truly,there isn't a lot of the old trap left.It's mostly new parts.

The advice above is right on.Use them for mink and muskrats or sell them to someone who will and put that money toward real coyote traps that are ready to go.

Those traps need new jaws,levers,base plate,swivels,chain,springs,baseplate etc.Add the cost of those parts up and multiply times 12.Then you should understand.

#3783964 - 04/30/13 09:37 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
Dylan Phelps124 Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Illinois
I got some and started messing with them by baseplating, laminating, four coiling, and started looking at all the stuff they still needed and its just not worth it. Okiecntry is right. I sold mine and was able to break even with all I had in them and then went out and bought some bridgers #3's and #2's

#3784000 - 04/30/13 10:09 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: Dylan Phelps124]
coyotedoc3 Offline
trapper

Thanks all....that is what i was thinking as well....more trouble than it is worth and still have a marginal trap. Anyone interested in buying a doz No. 2 Victors....excellent mink traps....LOL.

#3784004 - 04/30/13 10:13 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
N-R Trapper Online   content
trapper

Put them on the Trap Shed,they will sell before you know it. Good luck.

#3784083 - 04/30/13 11:27 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
D-2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Arkansas
I catch coyotes and cats in mine and they were straight out of the box. No modifications...d2

#3784251 - 04/30/13 03:22 PM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
SteveP Offline
trapper

Loc: Saint Janky, MO
D-2 are those new victor #2 traps? What he has above is an old style vic #2 and although I absolutely love them for coons even a very small yote would make one look like it took a direct hit from a small ICBM.

Steve

#3784611 - 04/30/13 07:59 PM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
bglong Offline
trapper

Loc: West Virginia
I have some that have been four coiled and fully modified. I disagree about them being a marginal trap once all that is done to them. But it may not be worth the price and labor, true. But I like them.

#3784909 - 05/01/13 04:51 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
Line Jumper Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern WI
Somebody posted this earlier, I copied it because I have a few, it looks like too much work now.

#3784981 - 05/01/13 07:30 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
Colorado1135 Offline
trapper

is there a difference between the older and newer victor #2's?

If the enemy is in range, so are you

#3785014 - 05/01/13 08:20 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
bglong Offline
trapper

The newer ones are round jaw and are a whole different trap. Still might want to base plate them, and laminate them, but they are a far sturdier trap.

#3785016 - 05/01/13 08:21 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
bglong Offline
trapper

Line Jumper, is that trap both inside and outside laminated?

#3785034 - 05/01/13 08:49 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: bglong]
coyotedoc3 Offline
trapper

Here is a photo of what i have.

#3785053 - 05/01/13 09:15 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper

Loc: shelbyville, illinois 42years ...
I will add to those comments already put forth,,,,,,use em on the waterline to catch some coon, mink and rats,,,,then take your fur check and buy ya some yote traps ,,,,you will be better off in the long run.

#3785055 - 05/01/13 09:19 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
SteveP Offline
trapper

Loc: Saint Janky, MO
Coyotedoc, that's a pretty good trap there, its not the old style of victor. That right out of the box will hold a yote, not all of them mind you but it would hold, I would baseplate, laminate, center swivel, put a couple inline swivels in the chain and replace that with machine chain, and replace the springs with music wire spring then get them bad boys in the ground come season. The old style (from many many years ago) had a very lighyt weight jaw, flimsy frame, and just all around poor design if you intended to use them for coyote. As I said before though they are by far one of my favorite coon traps on this planet with a slightly larger jaw spread than a 1.5 and bigger pan, trail sets with them are very effective and extremely unforgiving. I have found a few of my old vics that were set in trails that had a yote get into thyem and although they are baseplated, center swiveled, and inside laminated very rarely do they hold that yote, very rarely in there much left that can be recognized as a trap. Your traps are far and away a better trap than the old style victors.

Steve

#3785092 - 05/01/13 09:55 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: coyotedoc3]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
SteveP

Would you happen to have a picture of what you are calling an old style # 2 victor coil. Thanks.

#3785112 - 05/01/13 10:18 AM Re: Victor #2 Square Jaw [Re: SteveP]
coyotedoc3 Offline
trapper

Thanks Steve....now i have a decision to make. I didn't know if all Victor #2 square jaws were created equal. I have read where some of them were made so the jaws come outside-in into the frame and obviously these are not that style. I bought them site-un-seen because the price was very good and after receiving them...they seem to be a pretty good trap. It was just after researching square jaw victors....I became concerned. Which spring kit would you reccommend if i go that route. Here is another picture if anyone has any more insight on the history of Victor #2 square jaw traps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie