No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3767589 - 04/18/13 09:12 PM Morel Mushrooms in Central WI
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
So this weather isn't exactly the best for producing abundant mushrooms right now. What I want to know is if there are morel mushrooms to be found in the Clark, Taylor, Marathon county area? While in college in Platteville (many moons ago) we would rountinely pick a couple of grocery bags full each spring. I also had some on occasion while living in Alaska but haven't been able to locate any now that I'm living in Central WI again. Any insight on availability, reasonable places to look, or are the soil and growing conditions just not good enough to support them?
NRA

Basswood Fox Stretchers Forsale

#3767601 - 04/18/13 09:16 PM Re: Morel Mushrooms in Central WI [Re: TrappinAlaska]
Michigan Born Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Michigan
If I remember right your season starts around the same as ours, so it's ehh 2-3 weeks off as of now, I'd guess.
What's your weather been like?

#3767625 - 04/18/13 09:27 PM Re: Morel Mushrooms in Central WI [Re: TrappinAlaska]
Hudson Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W. Wisconsin
Should be no problem finding Morels....once the heat starts popping they should be hot and heavy. Lots of snow and pretty good rains lately, so all we need is the heat. Start looking at the south facing slopes or areas that are getting the most sun...these areas will pop first....soil needs to be about 50 degrees or so to get them going.

Go to morels.com....click on Wisc. and you will be on the Wisc. morel chat board....everything you need to know is right there.

#3767645 - 04/18/13 09:33 PM Re: Morel Mushrooms in Central WI [Re: Hudson]
Michigan Born Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Michigan
Originally Posted By: Hudson
Should be no problem finding Morels....once the heat starts popping they should be hot and heavy. Lots of snow and pretty good rains lately, so all we need is the heat. Start looking at the south facing slopes or areas that are getting the most sun...these areas will pop first....soil needs to be about 50 degrees or so to get them going.

Go to morels.com....click on Wisc. and you will be on the Wisc. morel chat board....everything you need to know is right there.

This year's gonna be awesome for us, as far as I can tell. It's been raining hard enough to flood everything, then the sun warms the puddles up. I won't be surprised for a pop before the lilacs bloom even

#3767712 - 04/18/13 10:07 PM Re: Morel Mushrooms in Central WI [Re: TrappinAlaska]
elm river Offline
trapper

Loc: illinois rinard
Barely finding blacks down here now need warmth

#3767929 - 04/19/13 06:09 AM Re: Morel Mushrooms in Central WI [Re: TrappinAlaska]
BIRDOGS Offline
trapper

Loc: PATUXENT RIVER, LOTHIAN MARYLA...
we have tons of poplar's in my hunting trapping area but I've never gotten many? one or two, here or there, but we don't have them like you people west of Maryland... and that stinks cause I love the lil' suckers!

#3767940 - 04/19/13 06:25 AM Re: Morel Mushrooms in Central WI [Re: TrappinAlaska]
hitreason Offline
trapper

Loc: Ocooch Mountains, WI
Once it warms up a bit it will be on, calender-wise, we are in the sweet spot right now, but the temps are too cool. Like to above poster said, 50 degrees over night and we will be reaping the bounty of shrooms, ticks and trespassers.

I went to college in Platteville too, picked quite a few shrooms in the woods near the dorms, quite a nice wood lot really. Also the bikes trails out of town were prime for picking, your post hit home for me!

#3767990 - 04/19/13 07:32 AM Re: Morel Mushrooms in Central WI [Re: TrappinAlaska]
Twisted metal Offline
trapper

Loc: Taylor county, Wisconsin
John drop off a bunch at my place and I will have some maple syrup for you.