Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3762702 - 04/16/13 09:32 AM Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat
RKayColt45 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Louisiana
I'm new to the site and I'm sure this question has probably been asked before. I'm getting ready to purchase some new #3 coil springs, while I still have the extra money, for Bobcat trapping later this year. In the past I've always used Victor #3's. Are the four-coil coil springs better compared to the two-coiled traps? Just would like to hear some comments on experience with different brands. I have a local trapping store that has the following brands: Minnesota, Victor, Duke, Bridger, and Sleepy Creek..maybe a few more brands. Thanks, Ron

Edited by RKayColt45 (04/16/13 09:33 AM)

#3762826 - 04/16/13 11:10 AM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
Howdy Ron IMO the best would be sterlings but that is IF you wish to spend that kinds money on traps. It really hurts when a thief finds one of them. Also you need to put you location on you profile its the bosses rules there

#3762948 - 04/16/13 12:45 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: Kirk]
RKayColt45 Offline
trapper

Thanks Kirk. I updated my profile. I'm down here in Louisiana. I've never heard of the Sterling brand traps?

#3762949 - 04/16/13 12:47 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
J_M Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Traps/Coil+Spring+Traps/Sterling+Coil+Spring+Traps/

#3762972 - 04/16/13 01:14 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Hello,Ron,from a fellow Louisiana trapper. The #3 Victor coil spring trap is a very reliable trap for all the predators in Louisiana,bobcat,coyote and fox. I like to four coil all my #3 coil spring traps for trapping in New Mexico,I have held a mountain lion in a standard #3 Victor coil spring trap,that was four coiled and it will serve you well here,in Louisiana. My suggestion for you is to get a few of the other brands of #3 coil spring traps and give them a trial run on your trapline next trapping season. I think you will find that they will all perform well for you and that your Victor #3's are of the same quality,as the rest of the #3 size coil springs and that the only difference is the price,for the most part.Good luck,I own a few Sterlings and I really hate to use them much for fear of theft,the #3 Bridgers are always the first #3 trap I will set in a possible theft location,a cheaper #3 trap,but just as good a trap as the rest,in my opinion.

#3763008 - 04/16/13 01:36 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Your welcome Ron Like N-R stated the bridgers victors mbs and sleep creeks which are tuned right will work and should work well. You asked about the best is why I stated the sterlings the down fall to the sterlings is there about $40 each

#3763014 - 04/16/13 01:43 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
J_M Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Ron I have no experience with cats in leg holds but I do like dogless tarps for dirt work. If you have not tried any I would recommend it if you plan on just trying a few different traps this year. Good luck on your quest for the right trap manny opinions.

Joel M

#3763106 - 04/16/13 02:43 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
CoonNfoxtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Bridger #3 is a awsome trap. Once they get the dogless Virsion out im betting it will only be better.

#3766496 - 04/18/13 10:47 AM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: CoonNfoxtrapper]
RKayColt45 Offline
trapper

Thanks for all the responses. I visited a nearby trapping supply store to look at all the #3 coil springs (four-coiled)traps. After setting several brands, the four-coiled Bridger seemed the most powerful and harder to set (spring tension). He didn't have any Sterlings to try. He said his Dad uses modified Bridger's and has held Mountain Lions. He will laminate them if you request.

Edited by RKayColt45 (04/18/13 03:06 PM)

#3766517 - 04/18/13 11:01 AM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
RKayColt45,the other mountain lion that I caught and held this past season in New Mexico was in a standard #3 Bridger coil spring trap,four coiled. You made a wise choice,the new #3 Bridgers come with a stock base plate and D-ring,R-P is a good trapping supply connection,tell Randy and Mr.Jimmy I said hello. Good luck,this coming season.

#3766829 - 04/18/13 03:05 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: N-R Trapper]
RKayColt45 Offline
trapper

I sure will. Very nice folks at R-P's. Don't get customer service like that much anymore. I'm grateful they're so close for supplies and knowledge....and stories.

Edited by RKayColt45 (04/18/13 03:08 PM)

#3767281 - 04/18/13 07:20 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Rkay Mr Jimmy and Randy are really find folks to do bussiness with they dont come any better than they are. Im not sure if you can even buy sterlings from a store you may have to go strait from the Manufacture to get them.

#3767586 - 04/18/13 09:12 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
MT bowhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: mt
Just my two cents. I think you guys are right on the money with your advice. I like the victors for cats. I also use some dogless montys. I know that freeze down is probably not a big issue with you but up here it is huge. My go to cat trap is and always will be a #3 longspring.

#3769146 - 04/19/13 07:56 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
Idtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
I use the #3 Bridger 4-coiled with no other Mod's..

But there's nothing wrong with a good #3 or 4 Longspring either..

#3771017 - 04/20/13 11:40 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
trapperman83 Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
#3 dukes work great for cats and there cheap, I wold modify them for yotes though, on private land I like the mb 650 or a Bridger.

#3772943 - 04/22/13 10:54 AM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
foxtrpr Offline
trapper

Loc: Hamburg NY
Educate me. We don't have cats here as of now. But are cats that much stronger than a yotes to need a #3CS??? Or would a trap like the BMI #2K9 Wolfer hold em? Or is it the size of a cats paw?

#3773023 - 04/22/13 12:05 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
Bob Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Mt, 26 yrs old
It isnt that cats are stronger or harder to hold. A larger jaw spread is very advantageous when using an exposed set. Not only that, #3 is my favorite trap for both coyote and cats, like the big kill zone and also the holding power, especially since my work schedule dictates that it may be a 3 to 4 day check sometimes. I don't have a 9-5, I leave for work at 6 am and get back whenever I get back, sometimes as late as 11 pm, so on days like that I skip checking. Thanks to MTs law I can check whenever my schedule allows so long as I'm not wasting fur by letting it sit too long in the trap.

If I were trapping bobcats on either private property or in areas that are not frequented by the public I would not hesitate to set my Bridger #5 double longsprings. They would be excellent for an exposed set, especially if the pan were enlarged.

#3773123 - 04/22/13 02:03 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: Bob]
side-slippin Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: Bob
...especially since my work schedule dictates that it may be a 3 to 4 day check sometimes...Thanks to MTs law I can check whenever my schedule allows...

Question... is this something special you have worked out with MT F&G; working around your work schedule? cause i just looked up the trapping regs for your state and on page 2, under General Trapping Regulations, it says "Traps should be checked once every 48 hrs."

now unless i'm missing something, i'd probably take that post down. thats whats commonly referred too as a "black eye".

Edited by side-slippin (04/22/13 02:04 PM)

#3773127 - 04/22/13 02:05 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: foxtrpr]
side-slippin Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: foxtrpr
Or is it the size of a cats paw?

thats a bingo

#3773149 - 04/22/13 02:32 PM Re: Best Brand of #3 coil spring for Bobcat [Re: RKayColt45]
Bob Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Mt, 26 yrs old
side- slipping, the regulations state that the traps must be checked in such a manner that fur and animals caught are not wasted. the key word in the regulations is "should". 48 hours it's what they suggest, but in Montana there is no actual mandatory time frame. many trappers here run 3 or four day checks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie