Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3756574 - 04/12/13 02:23 PM GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevadafornia
There, I provided both spellings in the title so I could please everyone who insists their spelling of gray/grey is the correct one.

Hey, G. fox prices are climbing back up again and my guess is interest in this beautiful and amazing critter will increase. Did you know the gray fox is the only canine in this hemisphere that can actually climb trees? Did you know that grays are omnivors (meaning they eat almost anything)? Did you know that if you have grays in your area and you've set "standard" coyote sets, you've probably had a gray work your set and not get caught? OK, so you already knew all that? Hmmmm, well, I'm still going to post some how-to pictures and other photos because -- setting aside price -- gray fox are just my favorite furbearer.

So what makes a good fox set? Let's look.

First, lets find a suitable location . . . we are looking for some sort of natural backing THAT ABSOLUTELY WON'T ALLOW THE FOX TO APPROACH FROM THE REAR. In this case, up against a tree trunk.

For efficiency sake, lets keep all of our tools and equipment within easy reach.

Now lets dig a nice deep hole, and place our trap bed directly in front of the hole. I like to place my trap on a sheet of waxed paper (buy hamburger patty papers from Costco or similar stores that cater to food establishments). The paper keeps the trap from freezing down.

Now I like to add a pan cover. Mine are cut from fiberglass landscaping fabric that has been soaked in a gallon bucket of warm water to which a pound of salt was dissolved. The residue of salt keeps the trap from freezing down.

Now I sift dirt over the trap, hide the trap chain and drag.

Time to add a good bait. I like something with ground bacon or jack mack to it, or both.

Now add your favorite lure (Backbreaker, Purrfect, Powder River Cat Call, Fox Cream all work well) and you are in business. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS TO ORGANIZE YOUR BACKING AND BLOCKING SO THERE IS NO WAY THE FOX CAN APPROACH THE HOLE EXCEPT TO STEP ON YOUR TRAP. DON'T BE SUBTLE. A TWIG OR SMALL DIRT CLOD DOESN'T CUT IT.

Finsihed set.

Edited by Lazarus (07/30/13 01:33 PM)

#3756586 - 04/12/13 02:36 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Here's a white-tipped tail fox -- only one I've ever caught. Sold it to a taxidermist.

A nice auger and a good drill will speed up setting times.

My son has a slightly different set up but does really well. Hey, everybody does it a little different.

Aren't they pretty?

#3756591 - 04/12/13 02:40 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"

Loc: North Carolina
Yessir they are pretty, I have never caught one, illegal to trap them in my county but I am expanding to the next county over where it isnt...this one was harvested in front of my grandpas house......by a mini van

#3756652 - 04/12/13 03:27 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
Lazarus, that'll never work wink

A greyt, or grayt post. Thanks for the pics.

#3756683 - 04/12/13 03:52 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Carolina Foxer]
Wade Lacey Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Good to see you posting on here again Mr. T. Always some very informative posts.....

#3756889 - 04/12/13 06:16 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
Thats a good looking set, but what should you look for location wise?

www.crittercollector.com

#3757024 - 04/12/13 07:29 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
mixed bag Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
How about some secret bait formulas??The greys are making a decent comeback in my neck of the woods and plan to get some sets out just for them.I agree with the fact that they are a really cool animal though.From my limited experience,if you pinch one or have the trap go off in its face, they get extremely tough to get.Where with a red fox, they'll come back and play with the set the next night.Thanks for posting how you set for them.

#3757072 - 04/12/13 08:02 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Edited by Lazarus (04/12/13 08:35 PM)

#3757093 - 04/12/13 08:15 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
pass-thru Offline
trapper

Loc: Va
I never thought I had trouble catching greys, because I've always put a decent number on boards. I also don't have the benefit of snow trapping education. Had snow cover for a couple days on my line this year and I was amazed at what I saw: virtually every set I had was visited by a grey over those couple days, but from the back.....not working the whole just trotting by a few inches behind the hole. These sets are intended for any/all k9s not just greys. My plan for next year was to use a lot more drags and have a trap in front of and behind any whole near cover.

#3757111 - 04/12/13 08:22 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Monster Toms]
Wisco Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: WI/SD
Originally Posted By: Monster Toms
Thats a good looking set, but what should you look for location wise?

I don't catch as many as Lazarus, but will chime in on whats good for location for my area, in Wisconsin. Basically any thick cover or pine/cedar swamps with logging roads coming out of them. Or, since I trap on an Island they seem to work the waters edge quite a bit and it makes a great funnel.

To the right in this picture is the lake.

Heres an old logging road coming out of a cedar swamp.

#3757126 - 04/12/13 08:29 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Pass-Thru:

You're on to something. Trappers who say they don't miss grays just don't know how many they have missed. If you don't have snow conditions, put up a trail camera at your sets and you'll see just how many come and go without ever getting caught. However, I don't think you need to use more than one trap -- but certainly I see why you'd want to if you are trying to catch multiple species.

If you are targeting grays, just put your trap tight to the hole and use LOTS of blocking or backing. If you think you've used enough, use some more. Be careful of using big stuff because the fox will just stand on them instead of walk around them.

#3757226 - 04/12/13 09:18 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern California
Great post Tracy,I too love the Grays.

#3757326 - 04/12/13 10:15 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Cagey:

Show us some cage sets!!

#3757847 - 04/13/13 11:08 AM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
jayirvinh Offline
trapper

Loc: Drain, Oregon
Best post Ive seen for a while. *****

#3758159 - 04/13/13 04:16 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
TrappingHardcore Offline
trapper

Loc: U.P of MI
Will those sets catch coyotes? Very informative...

#3758209 - 04/13/13 04:57 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Not really coyote sets but then I'm not a big coyote trapper.

#3758239 - 04/13/13 05:28 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
Muddy Boots Offline
trapper

Loc: South East Texas
I will Have to say that I got into trapping to take coyotes, but after a few years and a few Grey fox I will say that they are my favorite animal to catch, I think they are the prettiest animals in the woods and in my opinion the most interesting of all the K-9s,

#3758241 - 04/13/13 05:29 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
nchunting Offline
trapper

Loc: North Carolina
A double dirt hole or another flashy set gets greys in my experiance. I like setting trails and natural funnels. Mark Junes Fox frenzy and widow maker with a good fox urine makes a nice set.

#3758282 - 04/13/13 06:13 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
mixed bag Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks for reposting the bait recipe.I knew you had it on here before that's why I asked.I'll make some up and use it at my grey sets for this season.They are really making a comeback around me and I'm happy about that.Their numbers have been way down for about 10 yrs now.Saw a few different roadkills this year.You can bet those farms will get a visit from me before season

#3758645 - 04/13/13 09:37 PM Re: GREY FOX, GREY FOX, AND ONLY GRAY FOX [Re: Lazarus]
ck2 Offline
trapper

Loc: southwest, Oregon
YES! I love the Greys. They have become a favorite since moving to Oregon.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie