No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3678023 - 03/03/13 07:48 AM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
Griz Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Here's an e-mail that I got back after I sent this to some buddy's in CA. I little more info.
Griz

"They are definitely crazy, but there is a lot of misinformation out there about this bill. I think it is important that COHA members, and the hunting community as a whole, know the real facts about this bill.

First - surprisingly, the Humane Society is not the sponsor of this bill. Further, the bill does not ban the outright hunting a bobcats. See below:

WHAT THE BILL DOES DO: It outlaws all trapping of bobcats, and the import, export or commercial sale of any bobcat, or its parts. It does not propose to outlaw the hunting of bobcat via any other means.

WHAT THE BILL DOES NOT DO: It defines bobcats as a fur-bearing mammal, but you can hunt fur-bearing mammals, with the exception of Fisher, marten, river otter, desert kit fox and red fox – species that are prohibited from hunting via the regulations, not the Fish and Game Code.

Other fur-bearing mammals that you can hunt include badger and gray fox, muskrat, mink, beaver and raccoon. These species all have specific regulations pertaining to them that have been defined. The Commission would have to do the same for bobcats. There are specific bobcat regulations now under “nongame animals”. Conceivably, they could simply transfer these over to the “furbearing mammals” section of the regulations.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. Thanks for helping us spread the word."

Bill Gaines, President
California Outdoor Heritage Alliance Foundation
1215 K Street, Suite 1150
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 228-4279 Office
(916) 228-4280 Fax
(916) 337-9031 Cell

#3679547 - 03/03/13 07:17 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
DBLD Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado
I actually lived in California for twenty five years. The vast majority of the people I met were common sense CONSERVATIVES like myself. No doubt there is alot of crazy libs "in the big cities (as they are in any state)" and mixed in here and there. There is a high level of stero type from folks who have not actually lived there. As for visiting hollywood that place is certainly the arm pit of the universe. I just hope we can get the support from everybody on this website and many other outdoor groups so we can finally put this possible ban behind us. Now is the time for action on our part.

#3679799 - 03/03/13 08:44 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
Rizzy Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Idaho
Are there any politicians left in that state that would even help with this? I sure hope this goes better than the hound hunting issue. Maybe try to get support from Quail Unlimited, most of the bird hunters are under the impression bobcats eat their Chukar.

#3680004 - 03/03/13 09:50 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
humptulips Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington State
Very discouraging. Sounds like this Bill Gaines is ready to throw trappers under the bus.
He should read that bill again too. If it outlaws trapping it outlaws possecion of a bobcat or parts. Lot of good it will do him to hunt them if he has to let them lay where they drop.

#3680179 - 03/03/13 11:53 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
Blunderbuss Offline
trapper

Loc: California and Nevada
Don't turn this into an arguement, It won't help us any. There are a lot of hunters in California, and a lot of rural areas. California is a big state. There are a good amount of common sense conservatives here too

#3680673 - 03/04/13 10:42 AM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
jhh Offline
trapper

Loc: Saline county,Mo.
Sportsman are their own worse enemies. Why? Apathy!
Many never think to get involved until the battle is brought to them.Offence is our best defence.
Our conservation dept sent out survey cards and requested sportsman to send in their otter and bobcat lower jaws,so they could compile the scientific data to head off such things as Calif. is facing now.Less than 1/3 of the sportsman complied with this request last year.Without this info,it is very hard to compile the data needed to head anything off.This means more dollars spent to fight it,without the data to disspell any actions right off the get go.Excuses such as "I sell the skulls" and "too much of a hassle" are some of the excuses given. Most of those using such excuses give nothing to support trapping or belong to trapping org. that are the watchdogs for their sport.We need to wake up to the real probloms before it's too late.

#3681717 - 03/04/13 07:41 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
DBLD,
Thanks for the help, I already consider you a friend even though we have never met. Thanks again!

#3682962 - 03/05/13 11:49 AM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
tony270 Offline
"Top Lot Tony"

Loc: California
We need all the help we can get.
For those who are interested on how things work in California here are a few links and a few statistics on what fees are collected from the California Outdoors Community:

In 2010 California sold $3,968,632 commercial fishing licenses, $62,545,902 Sport Fishing Licenses (5% Agent Commission and 3% ALDS Surcharge are not included) and $ 2 2,395,469 on Hunting Licenses. But that can’t touch what the anti’s contribute so we need to all stick together to save what we like, our freedom.

Link to CA Assembly Bills

Find Your California Representative

Link to California Assembly Bill Updates

Link to California Department of Fish and Game License Statistics:

Link to the Statistic Files:

#3683047 - 03/05/13 12:40 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
pass-thru Offline
trapper

Loc: Va
Has the department of fish and game taken a position on this bill?

#3683247 - 03/05/13 02:23 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
shepherd0610 Offline
trapper

Loc: Pueblo, Colorado
does the trappers of California have a lawyer hired yet?

I do alot of veteran hunts and veteran benefit fundraisers and dinners here in colorado. I have a few connections around the US.
I'm willing to help get some fundraisers, raffle tickets, ect to get some money together to pay the best lawyers out there.

#3683267 - 03/05/13 02:36 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: pass-thru]
okie4570 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: pass-thru

I wondered the same. Coming from a state with quirky trapping regs, I hope you guys can come out top of this.

#3683446 - 03/05/13 04:08 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
tony270 Offline
"Top Lot Tony"

The way I read it the new regulation will prohibit the trapping bobcats for profit, the part that says “under these provisions” means that under the new law it will be illegal to possess a bobcat or parts taken by a trap, hunting is different. We already can’t sell or trade bobcats or any part of them taken under the provisions of a CA hunting license, we will still be able to purchase tags but who know for how long if we don’t take a stand.

Hi pass-thru and okie4570;

The CDFG won’t take a stand either way. For the most part they only offer scientific opinions and or recommendations. IMO this is political, not only anti trapping/hunting/fishing.

okie4570;
The California Trapping Regulations are not that much different than other states except we can't use body gripping traps for recreational proposes.
Link to California’s Trapping Regulations;
Link to California Department of Fish & Game
Trapping License Examination
Reference Guide:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/uplandgame/docs/CADFGTrappingGuideJan2009.pdf

#3683509 - 03/05/13 04:38 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: tony270]
pass-thru Offline
trapper

Loc: Va
Originally Posted By: tony270

The CDFG won’t take a stand either way. For the most part they only offer scientific opinions and or recommendations. IMO this is political, not only anti trapping/hunting/fishing.

Though it is political, the wording of the bill invokes concern for overharvest. To the extent that this concern is factually based or not, the CDFG should weigh in. It is appropriate for your trappers association to contact them about this and feel out their response. Should they indicate support for the concerns alleged in the bill, that raises the question why the CDFG hadn't already begun to address the issue of overharvest. In reality, they hadn't because those concerns are scientifcally unfounded. This needs to be extracted from CDFG and put in front of the legislature.

#3684676 - 03/05/13 11:57 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
J_M Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
I saw this and it made it more understandable to me.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-trapping-ban-20130305,0,3887269.story?track=lanowpicks

An astronomer Tom O'Key??? I guess I will probably never get my head around your adversary's mind sets.

#3684687 - 03/06/13 12:17 AM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
Blunderbuss Offline
trapper

Loc: California and Nevada
I like Mercers comments in That article. Especially the one about here being more bobcats because of us. At the very least they put in a tad of our side of the story. Not that the antis pay any attention to it.

#3684881 - 03/06/13 07:30 AM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
oh trap Offline
trapper

Loc: Franklin Co. Ohio
the picture of the cats in this news story.. makes em look just like your average house cats.

#3684895 - 03/06/13 07:49 AM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: tony270]
okie4570 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: tony270

The way I read it the new regulation will prohibit the trapping bobcats for profit, the part that says “under these provisions” means that under the new law it will be illegal to possess a bobcat or parts taken by a trap, hunting is different. We already can’t sell or trade bobcats or any part of them taken under the provisions of a CA hunting license, we will still be able to purchase tags but who know for how long if we don’t take a stand.

Hi pass-thru and okie4570;

okie4570;
The California Trapping Regulations are not that much different than other states except we can't use body gripping traps for recreational proposes.
Link to California’s Trapping Regulations;
Link to California Department of Fish & Game
Trapping License Examination
Reference Guide:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/uplandgame/docs/CADFGTrappingGuideJan2009.pdf

No prob, I was referring to OK having the quirky regs.

#3685344 - 03/06/13 12:18 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
tony270 Offline
"Top Lot Tony"

If you want to know how thing become law in California and what legal options we have take a look at this link:
How things become Law in California

#3686709 - 03/06/13 10:15 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: Mercer Lawing]
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
I don't get the attitude of some of you guys that keep repeating that there is no chance, and you're all screwed. Back in the early 90's (when ballot measure 97 would have banned most trapping in Oregon) the early polls showed us losing by a landslide. By the time November rolled around we defeated the measure going away. It was the biggest turn around from early polls to final result in the history of Oregon ballot measures!

There is always a chance if people get to work.... and work smart.

Edited by beaverpeeler (03/07/13 09:15 PM)

#3686768 - 03/06/13 10:38 PM Re: Bobcat Protection act of 2013 [Re: beaverpeeler]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: beaverpeeler
I don't get the attitude of some of you guys that keep repeating that there is no chance, and you're all screwed. Back in the early 90's (when ballot measure 97 would have banned most trapping in Oregon) the early poles showed us losing by a landslide. By the time November rolled around we defeated the measure going away. It was the biggest turn around from early poles to final result in the history of Oregon ballot measures!

There is always a chance if people get to work.... and work smart.

Most of the people that think we have no chance are not from California.Like I said earlier there is always a chance!!

Edited by CAGEYCAT (03/06/13 10:38 PM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >